Vanderbilt University Employee Reviews

Used to be fabulous, workforce reduction beginning 2013 ruined everything
RN3 (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 27, 2017
The medical insurance and benefits are phenomenal. Being a RN at Vandy after 2013 workforce reduction is less fabulous. Understaffed, high turnover, terrible rearrangement of management. Less PTO, 25% less vacation without warning. Increased nurse to patient ratios leaving bedside work considerably more hard. Lower payscales vs. local hospitals. Great healthy eating options.
Pros
benefits, nice location to work
Cons
Management is out of touch, high RN turnover, less PTO than previous years, actively cutting benefits house wide whenever possible
Great benefits
registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nadhville, tnJanuary 27, 2017
Vanderbilt has great opportunities, benefits and really great departments (some). The medical side of Vandy does not like to give raises. You have to pay a lot for parking. If you choose to work here I do not suggest working in the Registration part of the ER. The department has a high turn over, and shows a lot of favoritism to certain employees. I enjoyed the work I did sometimes, we defe
Vanderbilt in an exceptionally diverse in respect to therapy and research
RPSGT (Current Employee) –  Sleep Disorders CenterJanuary 4, 2017
A diverse employer with exceptional opportunities to see and treat a wide scope of patients All areas of polysomnography diagnostic and therapeutic seen weekly. Research in areas of neurology also a huge focus. I have learned a great deal while working at Vanderbilt Medical
Pros
research and new therapy modalities
Cons
salary tops out too low
Trading on an old reputation
RN, BSN (Current Employee) –  vanderbilt childrens outpatientJanuary 8, 2017
Work life balance? As long as you get the work done, and management has a life, that's what they call balance.

Compensation is not competitive. Vanderbilt has many educational offerings but due to horrendous staff shortages you are never allowed to attend any. Benefits and parking are quite expensive, essentially you pay to work here.

Management is lacking, obvious favoritism, hostile treatment by management if you are not among the few favorites, and unbelievably the senior management has no nursing background!

High stress, chaotic, poor & inconsistent management.

A lot of "not my patient, not my problem" and 'do more with less' is the standard.

I learned Vanderbilt looks good on a résumé, so get in and move on as soon as possible.
Pros
A few nice coworkers
Cons
under staffed, under appreciated, under paid, parking is very expensive
VU Medical Center
Exec Asst to VPs & Dept Heads (Former Employee) –  VU Medical CenterNovember 16, 2016
A typical day at Vanderbilt brings its highs and lows as any job does.
I am fortunate enough to be employed by the Medical Center where we all work as a team. The management in my department is wonderful.

The hardest part of my job is to tryng to separate emotions from the difficult cases we deal with on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I see positive results from our involvement with these difficult cases.

I have learned that when help is needed and wanted it is valued and appreciated.
Pros
Pleasant work environment
Cons
poor parking, lots of traffic
Busy , good job for anybody who's in school
Nutrition Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 26, 2016
Taking care of the patients making sure everything is done correctly .
Allowing you to interact with the customers and their families .
Making sure your job is done correctly .
Letting the patients know your here to help .
Allowing each patient to stay happy no matter what the situation may be.
Taking hot fresh food up to the patients .
Communicating to make sure everything is done as it should be .
Cons
No breaks, part time
Great support system in place
Registered Nurse - Adult Medicine (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 11, 2016
While the acuity of my general medicine floor is usually quite high, I work with a great group of coworkers who believe in teamwork as well as making sure that patients are our top priority. I feel that I have grown exponentially as a nurse in my time at Vanderbilt, both in honing my skills as a bedside nurse as well as learning the intricacies of what it takes to be the Charge Nurse of a 28-bed unit; having to be responsible for not only the 6 RN's and 3 CPs but the patients as well. Even on our harderst days, I know that I can always look to my coworkers and that we will help to get each other through. I eagerly look forward to the next chapter in my life of nursing.
RN, BSN (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 26, 2016
I really enjoyed working at VUMC. The surgeons and staff are great people. It is a positive and exciting place to work. The most exciting part of my job was being able to meet new people and help get them better!
Pros
Great staff
Cons
stressful at times
ok place to work
Surgery Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 21, 2016
I enjoyed working there but there were some issues with raises and evaluations that I didn't necessarily agree with. I did enjoy taking care of the patients and ensuring they got what they needed and a lot of the people I work with was very nice and friendly
Pros
and ensuring they got what they needed in order to get taken care of
Cons
phrases and I did not feel is the recommendation for advances were Fair
positive work environment
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNJanuary 27, 2017
i love working at VBJ the atmosphere is excellent and i am always supported by my coworkers to improve myself to be the best that i can be. management is excellent geri eaves is one of the most caring and understanding managers i have ever had
Great place to work and learn
NICU RN (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 14, 2017
This is a great hospital to learn and experience the most critical cases in you career. We provide care of a region around 200 mile radius of Nashville.
Pros
Getting experience at a LEVEL IV
Cons
Salary for the area. Nashville has explosive growth and rent is too high.
Excellent Business Partners and Hiring Leaders
Senior Talent Acquisition Consultant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 22, 2016
Skilled Leaders, pleasant co-workers, opportunities for advancement. Competitive pay, competitive benefits, prestigious.
Pros
Discount coupons, exercise facilities, opportunities to grow and learn
Cons
Energetic and busy department, yet not micro managed. Great management and Benefits!
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Medical Center North, Department of NeurologyAugust 30, 2016
Vanderbilt is a great place to have a secure, valued and relevant job with great benefits. Can manage my day, have great benefits, great culture and good pay. I love my docs!
Pros
Self managed day, able to organize the way that works best to get the job done, Benefits, pay, hours.
Cons
Not much room for advancement in my current department, no other cons, would not be leaving Vanderbilt if we were not relocating to TX.
Fair and Focused place to work
RPSGT (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 17, 2016
By far my favorite job and place of employment. I had to leave for personal family reasons but would recommend this company to anyone. Great benefits as well. Management was the best and went out of their way to work for the employee.
Pros
Competitive pay, College tuition discounts
Great Place to Work
AVP, Managed Care (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 6, 2016
VUMC is a great place to work with great leadership who are passionate about helping and healing patients while developing the leaders of tomorrow in clinical care and research. The hardest part is determining who to go to on specific issues.
Pros
Culture of Excellence
Cons
Compensation
Unpredictable schedule, unreasonable expectation
Paramedical (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 15, 2016
Good luck having a real life.Take all; give nothing back. It's the vandy way. N consideration for employee needs. Worst employee treatment I've ever seen. Employees are just a number here, a semi warm body to fill a schedule. No chance of advancement.
good stepping stone out of undergrad
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 27, 2016
Good stepping stone for some quick experience. Bad pay, no future at all for advancement. Go here and work hard for a couple of months for a good recommendation, boost your resume, then quickly get out.
Good working conditions but limited potential for advancement
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 16, 2016
At Vandy I kept supplies stocked. I made solutions. I made sure the glassware was clean and put up. I made sure the nitrogen tanks were
ordered and the logs were kept up. There were a lot of people that I came in contact with. I made sure the autoclaves were in working order.I also ran errands.
Pros
health care, easy job
Cons
very limited chance of advancement
Health IT Dept
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 6, 2017
Great place to work at, directors and supervisors all respond and listen to anything you have to say. I learned a lot in the administrative role I held.
Pros
Catered lunches 2x a week, free soft drinks, juice, coffee, water
Some good and some bad
Quality and Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 13, 2017
Once you get in you are stuck and there aren't a lot of opportunities to advance. Also, they have removed a lot of the vacation benefits and very political. However, there are a lot of smart fun people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vanderbilt University. Our community is ready to answer.