Vanderbilt University

Vanderbilt University Employer Reviews

Good place to work in the right position
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 29, 2014
Pros: better than average pay, great tuition benefit
Cons: training from non-clinical to clinical, reduced time off, stagnant pay
great place to work, especially for physicians, nurses, lab personnel, etc.
Vanderbilt Medical Group
Patient Service Rep (Current Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 28, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: long hours
The best place I have work great benefits and flexible hours, great people and just a overall great place.
Great coworkers
Coding Specialist I (Former Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 27, 2014
Pros: great coworkers; supportive management
Cons: stress related to change over to icd-10
The last few years at Vanderbilt I was able to work from home on my computer. I was connected to Vanderbilt and loved working from home. I went through 2 years of training for ICD-10 which is the new nomenclature to become the one we would be using as soon as the government gives the go ahead to use it. My coworkers are a great group of people who were more like family. If anyone had a death in the family everyone pitched in and fixed food, gave money and supported the coworker through their grief. Nice people who I miss every day. I learned a lot from a lot of interesting and intelligent people.
It is work for full time student. I learnt a lot from the work.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 26, 2014
My typical day at work is the day we stayed at work until mid night to finish up some task. I learnt about R program and to work with different people. The management is really good. The people around the lab are very nice. There is nothing hard about the job. The manager is a nice person which is the most enjoyable part of the job.
OK, not great
Research Technician (Former Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 24, 2014
Pros: health insurance
Cons: exploitative
Worked in a typical university setting; not much interaction with management; Poor compensation
Great place for productive research in direct contact with the hospital
Post Doc Research Associate (Current Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 23, 2014
I decided to apply for a position at Vanderbilt University since the University is very close to the Medical Center. And effectively I learned to:
- define and write experimental protocols to test medical devices;
- discuss (i.e. listen and explain) with the scientific and clinical communities about specific needs.
- present in a clear and effective way my work to doctors and nurses in order to work productively together.
My day at work starts with a 15 minute Scrum meeting with my colleagues, and then I have a more specific 30 minutes meeting with the project manager, the cell culture technician and some students to review plans for experiments of the day. My day includes work in the clean room for fabrication of devices and prototypes for my experiments and for other colleagues in the project. I also work with cells and tissues (including collecting and preparation of tissues from the hospital). Half of the day is basically work in the office, to review data, study and writing.
We have weekly and monthly meetings with the doctors we are working with to present data and to plan future collaboration (writing proposals and tutoring students together).
I usually spend at least one full day working with undergraduate and graduate students.I follow design projects of several students at Biomedical Engineering and I also enjoy to work with younger students (high schools) during the summer for short research projects.
I really like the working environment, my colleagues and the students I am working with. I really appreciate when colleagues are respectful towards me, my time and my – more... achievements.
The hardest part of my job is when I have to stop in the middle of an experiment to run to pick up my daughter: I do my best to avoid long experiments or protocol that requires more than 8 hours in the lab, but sometimes we cannot do differently.
The most enjoyable part is to celebrate with colleagues achievements like published papers or awards: it takes time in research to get good results but it is great to receive honors and rewards after all, especially when we have worked together from the beginning. – less
Vanderbilt
Administrative Officer (Current Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 22, 2014
Co-workers are great but healthcare is not the field to work in these days.
Great place to work and chances of advancement
Case Cart Delivery Specialist (Former Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 15, 2014
I loved working for this company the pay was great and the benefits were great.
Productive work environment, team work encouraged, management was eager to jump in and help on short staffing days
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 13, 2014
Pros: supportive staffing, team work, daily assignment tasking
Cons: no breaks other than 30 minute lunch break
Vanderbilt Breast Center was very organized, we had a daily assignment sheet to let us know which providers we were assigned to and what side work we were to do for the day, assignments were given according to patient load, and divided evenly. I would be in charge of up to 40 patients per day, taking patient vital signs, reviewing and updating patient medications, updating patients medical history, assisting with inner office procedures (punch biopsies, incision and drainages, seroma catherization), ordering imaging, along with side work of restocking patient exam rooms, restocking supply carts, scanning patient documents into charting system, shadowing physicians and physician assistants as needed, ordering lab work, updating and printing patient orders.
great
loader (Former Employee), nashvilleOctober 10, 2014
Pros: everything is great here
Cons: you get out for school break
just great people great place period great everything great benifits, free bus ride to work good food great place period
I loved the opportunity to work at Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 5, 2014
Pros: great management
Cons: no cons -
I started out working at Vanderbilt working as a nurse extern and then a care partner in the level 1 trauma unit and surgical intensive care untin. Then as a registered nurse in the same department. What an experience to work with such high acuity of patients. I enjoyed every minute of it.The only reason I left was that I was accepted on to active duty.
Vanderbilt University is always looking for new ways to educate patients and their families
Family Advocate/Educator (Current Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 3, 2014
Pros: unlimited educational opportunities
Cons: salaries were not up to other smaller hospitals in the middle tn area
I have worked with the Family Resource Center for many years even throught the construction of the now Vanderbilt Childrens Hospital.
n/a
Patient Rep (Current Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 1, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
discharge patients collect copays enter demographic information in order to process claims. Patient care.
Productive, learning environment, safe, friendly
Research Assistant II (Former Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: various career opportunities
I joined as a RA 1 but in a supporting and learning environment, I enhanced my skills quickly. I had wonderful coworkers and developed great friendship even out of work. Everyone working here are great people - patient, hard-working, sincere, and always smiling.

Its a great place to work ---farmer markets in summer, career enhancement courses and opportunities, tuition benefits for family members, gym memberships, etc.
Productive, High Volume Work Place
Catering Assistant (Current Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: not enough info for patients to find there way around campus
Start's off to A fast pace. I Have Learned alot about the Med. and Dietetic's of the need of everyday care of people. The Management has been the most wonderful and fare that i have experiance in my Career. the most challeageing part is to please other of so many needs. and Always Enjoy the Satisfaction and Happy Costumer.
I was a student tech here
Student Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 24, 2014
I was only a student tech here for a short period of time. student tech
Not the place it used to be.
Computer Technician (Current Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: employes are just cogs in they machine
Vanderbilt was a great place to work in the beginning. After 3 years on they job I have been turned down for promotions and yearly raises have been cut each year to save money. My direct management was great but Vandy is no longer the place I grew up hearing about. The big wigs cut jobs relentlessly sometimes getting rid of entire departments at a time just to out source the work. At this time I wouldn't recommend any one come work at Vanderbilt unless you like the suspense of wondering what day will be your last.
good place to work at
Neurology Case Manager (Former Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 17, 2014
Hard work is required but the Vanderbilt Culture is like no other one. High sense of professionalism and ethics.
Busy but rewarding
Oncology Nurse (Current Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: great nursing team
Cons: hectic clinic flow, minimal recognition from upper management for hard work
The most enjoyable part of the job, by far, is the interaction with each patient. We see the same patients on a regular basis and create bonds with them. This job can be very stressful due to increased patient load, decreased nursing staff. My coworkers are amazing and we have done our best in a trying situation. Our nurse manager could not be better to us and is our fighter. She keeps us sane!
The work I do on a daily basis
Computer Systems Administrator II (Current Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 11, 2014
I currently do

Computer support, ordering, installing, and repair for 16 research Labs, of which 7 of these have full time employees as well as part time employees and graduate students.

I Manage and remotely support users from Florida State University , San Diego State University, University of Chicago, and University of
North Carolina

I Manage a Stata Application Server, Linux SFTP Server, Windows File Server, and NVivo Application Server

I also support 45 Fulltime Faculty Members, 20 Full time staff employees and 350 Students

About Vanderbilt University

Located in Nashville, Tenn., and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care,Vanderbilt University – Read more

Vanderbilt University Photos