Vanderbilt University

Vanderbilt University Employer Reviews

Experience in Athletics!
Young Professionals Committee Member (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 20, 2015
Slave work. Exploit the present day internship culture. Vanderbilt Athletics does not pay their employees well (below minimum wages) while the Athletic director makes 3 million a year. Pathetic athletic department.
I Say NO
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: shift differential pay
Cons: advancement will take well over a year.
Vanderbilt pharmacy tech position is like warehouse work. You are pushing huge boxes of medicine throughout a HUGE hospital and is expected to put them in a machine in a timely manner. If you like hard "fedex" labor, then this is your place of work. Advancement will take over a year and they only choose the people they like, not the most qualified ones. Horrible because the people show favortism.
Great people
ATHLETIC TRAINER/CLINICAL COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Athletic TrainingJanuary 10, 2015
A wonderful place to work. A commitment to excellence. Nashville is a great place to live, and I am very proud to have served at VUMC. I would recommend this place of employment to anyone. The people are fantastic, the medical center is first rate, and it was a great learning experience.
Would not recommend. Very poor treatment of employees
Manager of Anatomic Pathology (Former Employee), Nashville.TNJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: good staff at lower levels and good medical directors
Cons: very bad culture and getting worse
Not a good place to work.Executive Managment has terminated or illegally laid off thousands. No severance, no payout of benefits, many law suits. Culture of institution needs overhaul from the top- particulary Diagnoistic Lab Directorship
Sadly, new did not result in improved in the case of upper management at Vanderbilt
Registered Nurse, BSN (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: benefits are pretty good, but not fabulous, and there is still tuition assistance available for full time employees.
Cons: poor pay, general disconnect between upper management and hourly employees
Care for 4-8 patients per shift. Very fast paced work with a lot of multi-tasking. Our unit was poorly designed for primary care so there was a lot of competition for resources including the medication room/Pyxis and desirable computer workstations. Work was not always distributed evenly and infighting was problematic.

I learned how to function in the midst of chaos and how to be the calm in the storm.

At one time management was amazing. There are still some excellent managers on the units, but many resigned amid drastic changes affected by new upper management. One change was that the open door to our managers office was closed and our manager began spending more time off the unit in meetings than on the floor managing.
There was a general gutting of senior physicians who were replaced by good, but relatively inexperienced psychiatrists.
There also seemed to be a lot of haphazard, wholesale changes made to policy (particularly visitation policy) that have not gone particularly well.
There were also major staffing cuts, Christmas bonuses were eliminated for hourly employees, there was a freeze on raises, and the employee and child tuition benefit that was such a nice perk was cut drastically. All of these cuts were blamed on the economy, and were made around the same time as the announcement of a new state of the art surgical center center being built on campus.
Vanderbilt, on average, paid much lower wages than other area hospitals.

Like most jobs, there were some amazing people who worked there and some who were pretty bad.

The hardest part of the job was watching the mass exodus of people out of our facility after the big management change.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with patients.

Management at the unit level varies by manager, but upper management is pretty bad overall and seems to be very disconnected from the employees on the floor.
Fun workplace to work
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Nashville, TNDecember 29, 2014
A typical day at work involves working on the bench top and interaction with scientist from various departments. Co-workers are very helpful and provide intellectual suggestions. The most enjoyable part of the job is to present exciting scientific findings to the fellow colleagues and scientist.
Office Supervisor over our walk-in lab
Office Supervisor (Current Employee), Nashville, TNDecember 29, 2014
I have enjoyed the oppurtunity given to me at Vanderbilt University. Have met many great people, and been a part of a great management team. I enjoy coming to my job and look forward to learning new ideas and programs within our department of Audiology. I love changes that are going to benefit my department.
Clinical Engineering technician
Clinical Engineering Technician (Current Employee), NAshville, TNDecember 18, 2014
Anesthesia machine GE Aestiva 5 certified
LVAD technician
Valet is a horrible job! Don't do it!
Valet Attendant (Former Employee), 1201 Medical Center DrDecember 14, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: read review and choose your next job wisely!
Very sexiest in showing favoritism towards females. Management is a poor excuse. Management will lie to your face, don't believe a word the manager in valet says! Everyday you will feel like walking on egg shells so watch where you'll step.
It was a great place to work when i started 9 years ago but through the years everything started going down hill
Delivering Supply Orders to Nursing Staff (Current Employee), nashville tnDecember 11, 2014
Pros: the benefits were good
Cons: management
Vanderbit was a great place to work until now. Vanderbilt hasn't had a raise in about 5 years! Vanderbilt has changed a lot since I started back in 2005
Productive place to work.
Office Assistant III (Former Employee), Nashville, TNDecember 9, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
The most enjoyable part of the job are the flexible schedules and my co-workers. Overall I was willing to accept any challenges that came my way.
Great
Support Technician (Former Employee), Nashville, TNDecember 4, 2014
overall busy and stable co workers very nice and very helpful great place to expand also they provide training to better yourself as an employee gives you a very great chance to move up in that line of work
productive place
Patient Service Medical Receptionist (Current Employee), Nashville, TNDecember 1, 2014
Pros: friendly people
Cons: short breaks
Perform administrative and certain clinical duties under the direction of physician. Administrative duties may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing, and coding for insurance purposes. Clinical duties may include taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination, drawing blood, and administering medications as directed by physician.
Too much work with such little pay
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee), Nashville, TNNovember 17, 2014
Most of the time, a technician I is taken advantage of, because they are new and the older employees have become lazy and don't want to do the work. Managment makes bad choices on who to put in charge.
Great academic institution with lots of professional growth opportunities.
Ventricular Assist Device Coordinator (Current Employee), Nashville, TNNovember 8, 2014
Academic medical center with several opportunities for professional growth.

Great learning opportunities.

Top rated national healthcare facility and well-known research programs.
Good place to work in the right position
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 29, 2014
Pros: better than average pay, great tuition benefit
Cons: training from non-clinical to clinical, reduced time off, stagnant pay
great place to work, especially for physicians, nurses, lab personnel, etc.
Vanderbilt Medical Group
Patient Service Rep (Current Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 28, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: long hours
The best place I have work great benefits and flexible hours, great people and just a overall great place.
Great coworkers
Coding Specialist I (Former Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 27, 2014
Pros: great coworkers; supportive management
Cons: stress related to change over to icd-10
The last few years at Vanderbilt I was able to work from home on my computer. I was connected to Vanderbilt and loved working from home. I went through 2 years of training for ICD-10 which is the new nomenclature to become the one we would be using as soon as the government gives the go ahead to use it. My coworkers are a great group of people who were more like family. If anyone had a death in the family everyone pitched in and fixed food, gave money and supported the coworker through their grief. Nice people who I miss every day. I learned a lot from a lot of interesting and intelligent people.
It is work for full time student. I learnt a lot from the work.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 26, 2014
My typical day at work is the day we stayed at work until mid night to finish up some task. I learnt about R program and to work with different people. The management is really good. The people around the lab are very nice. There is nothing hard about the job. The manager is a nice person which is the most enjoyable part of the job.
OK, not great
Research Technician (Former Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 24, 2014
Pros: health insurance
Cons: exploitative
Worked in a typical university setting; not much interaction with management; Poor compensation

About Vanderbilt University

Located in Nashville, Tenn., and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care,Vanderbilt University – Read more

Vanderbilt University Photos