Vanderbilt University

Vanderbilt University Employee Reviews

Federal work-study
Intramural Referee (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMay 3, 2015
Working at Vanderbilt University as a referee was great. I enjoy sports, but am not very athletic, thus refereeing was the next best thing. It was something I enjoyed doing, and it provided me with necessary job experience. I learned about professionalism, cooperation, and the work environment.
Extremely busy place
Anesthesia Technician (Former Employee), Nashville, TNApril 26, 2015
Pros: Learned a lot
Cons: People were very secretive
Good place to work, but there was a high turnover while I was there. Lost 5 AMT's while I was there in 11 months. Education could be better from senior staff. You were busy from the start of your shift to the end of your shift.
wonderful work environment that fosters learning
Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee), Nashville, TNApril 9, 2015
Vanderbilt provides a wonderful working environment that fosters a learning environment. I have truly enjoyed my time at this organization. The only con is that the pay is on the low end.
lab rep
Lab Service Representative (Former Employee), Nashville, TNApril 9, 2015
Responsible for accessioning specimens or patient tissue materials for testing including packaging specimens or tissue materials to be sent out to referring laboratory.
Awesome group of coworkers
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee), Jackson, TNApril 8, 2015
Work is very fast pace and hectic at times but one of the most fulling jobs you can be lucky enough to have. You never have a dull moment
A nice place to work
Burn Unit Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Nashville,TNApril 7, 2015
Pros: Education, MDs always available for assistance.
Cons: Lagging in competitive compensation & floor coverage
Vanderbilt has been a nice place to work for the last 3 1/2 years. I could see myself working there for my entire career but my husband has had to move for work. Thankfully this is the last time since he will retire in 4 years. I hope that I find a new place to work that was as nice as Vanderbilt.
Pleasant And Efficient With Focus On Quality Patient Care It's Top Priority
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee), Nashville, TNApril 7, 2015
Pros: Money maintained on Health card to use for Rx or other medical needs
My everyday duties consisted of helping my staff review for accuracy and maintain Patient Electronic Medical Records. As supervisor I learned that if everyone is treated with respect and dignity we could all be more productive . I trained my staff in strict Hippa Policies to ensure patients privacy was protected at all times. Management's goal was to strive for Quantity without
compromising Quality. I also found the hardest part of being manager was discipline and so I learned to discipline with compassion. The most enjoyable was being in an environment where I felt comfortable to do the best Job possible.
Good Job
Flight Coordinator (Current Employee), Nashville, TNMarch 27, 2015
Pros: culture
Cons: pay
Good Company to work for, pay could be better, but healthcare is not a stable environment currently. Friendly staff and management. Benefits are excellent.
Great for research
Data Coordinator II (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Good health benefits
Cons: Limited advancement opportunities
As an employee for 8+ years, I have seen Vandy change for the worse. It is not as it was I first began. The culture is different and not inclusive. Limited opportunity for advancement.
Good benefits but they have reduced over the years to standard benefits you can get from most companies, nothing exclusive.
Good overall experience. Opportunity appreciated
Neuropathology as Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMarch 23, 2015
Working for this company brought about a lot of changes and experiences. It taught me a lot about how pathology work and the physicians who do the job. It was a good experience for me for the time I was there. I learned a lot about multi-tasking while handling other projects that were necessary. I learned more about prioritizing in this job. It was a good experience and very much appreciated.
Health System Database Analyst III (Current Employee), Nashville, TNMarch 16, 2015
Pros: good collaboration
Cons: lack of project management
Have been at Vanderbilt for 12 years. Overall, it is a nice place to work in terms of compensation, PTO, benefits, and etc.
Company that tells you one thing and does another.
Phlebotomist (Current Employee), Nashville, TNMarch 12, 2015
Pros: no weekends at my job
Cons: short breaks, healthcare, salaries, trust
I enjoy doing the job that I do and I enjoy my coworkers. However, the company itself needs work. They take things away from you and tell you your not losing anything when in fact you are losing. They give no raises but still jack up health benefits cost while the coverage is less. You are not paid for the jobs that you perform. They are not truthful in what they tell you. They also will tell you one thing and deny ever having said something. They tell you lies or half truths and the management doesn't even care. They sweep everything under a rug when it comes to their employees.
Teamwork
PRN (Current Employee), Nashville, TNMarch 7, 2015
The department and culture of Vanderbilt is teamwork. Vanderbilt provides resources for growth. Patient's receive great continuity of care.
No raises. Low pay. Management won't approve time off.
radiology (Former Employee), radiologyMarch 4, 2015
Pros: decent benefits
Cons: low pay, no raise, must meet exam quota per shift
If you have other options, definitely look somewhere else. This is a teaching institution which means residents ordering useless exams over and over and then they call and harass you when their "stat" isn't done fast enough.

Lots of mistakes made. I would not want to be a patient here.

Management in my dept is terrible. They will not approve time off unless you're a brown noser and a favorite. There is so much favoritism that goes on here.

No raise in the past 5 years and the starting pay is horrible. Less than anywhere else in the area. You do see lots of pathology and it's a good learning experience, but once you do 2 years, take that experience elsewhere. You are just a number to them. They do not care about the patients or the staff.
Neuropathology as Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMarch 3, 2015
Typing reports, answering phones, receiving specimen for processing, handling division budget, travel itineraries/expense reports, check requests, ordering supplies, faxing/mailing reports to doctors, etc. It is important to me to have a good personality and outlook on a job and being able to be a team-player and to accept criticism when it comes; whether it is something I already know or something new being learned. The enjoyable part is being able to explore new avenues and learn new things about a job, the challenge.
good enviroment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), nashvilleMarch 3, 2015
vanderbilt university has the potential to allow you to enlarge your social network for what concern job opportunities, knowledge and skills related with your position.
Sad place to work
Technologist. (Former Employee), Nashville TNMarch 1, 2015
Pros: can't think of one.
Cons: pay rate, no training, coworkers suck.
Mistakes are common. Training is minimal. Using new people as scapegoats is common. Wouldn't recommend working for or being at patient at Vanderbilt.
Working for Vanderbilt as a CME Administrator
CME Administrator (Current Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 25, 2015
I began at Vanderbilt as an Office Assistant, went to school, and worked my way up to CME Administrator. We are a small department that oversees continuing medical education opportunities for about 200 offerings a year. I am the administrator for the regularly scheduled series with around 170 activities a year, one of the largest in the world of CME. I am currently working with a team to develop a new website that will allow users more opportunities for credit and easier ways to report the credit. My co-workers are like family. The hardest part of this position is getting users to do their part, logging in and obtaining their own credit. The most enjoyable part of this position is working with some of the smartest people I have ever met as a team to develop new opportunities.
Enjoyable work experience with great co-workers and management.
Sr. Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: ability to accomplish tasks with little supervision
Cons: pay
I was a contractor for Vanderbilt working as a Sr. Technical Support Specialist. I really enjoyed the environment. The co-workers, and the management were very respectful and easy to work with. If it wasn't for the contractors pay, I would want to stay indefinitely.
great university. great experience
Post-doctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 7, 2015
Great university. I've learned a lot in the past year. I like my research group and my adviser. I enjoy working here. ("indeed please get me out of this page, please!")

About Vanderbilt University

Located in Nashville, Tenn., and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care,Vanderbilt University – Read more

Vanderbilt University Salaries

$11.79 per hour
Patient Care Technician
$10.48 per hour

Vanderbilt University Photos

Vanderbilt employees take in a Women's basketball game during Employee Celebration night.
Employees pose with their turkeys, tofurkeys and aprons during the holiday gift giveaway.
Vanderbilt employees enjoy fresh air on campus during National Walking Day.