Vanderbilt University

Vanderbilt University Employee Reviews

No raises. Low pay. Management won't approve time off.
radiology (Former Employee), radiologyMarch 4, 2015
Pros: decent benefits
Cons: low pay, no raise, must meet exam quota per shift
If you have other options, definitely look somewhere else. This is a teaching institution which means residents ordering useless exams over and over and then they call and harass you when their "stat" isn't done fast enough.

Lots of mistakes made. I would not want to be a patient here.

Management in my dept is terrible. They will not approve time off unless you're a brown noser and a favorite. There is so much favoritism that goes on here.

No raise in the past 5 years and the starting pay is horrible. Less than anywhere else in the area. You do see lots of pathology and it's a good learning experience, but once you do 2 years, take that experience elsewhere. You are just a number to them. They do not care about the patients or the staff.
Neuropathology as Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMarch 3, 2015
Typing reports, answering phones, receiving specimen for processing, handling division budget, travel itineraries/expense reports, check requests, ordering supplies, faxing/mailing reports to doctors, etc. It is important to me to have a good personality and outlook on a job and being able to be a team-player and to accept criticism when it comes; whether it is something I already know or something new being learned. The enjoyable part is being able to explore new avenues and learn new things about a job, the challenge.
good enviroment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), nashvilleMarch 3, 2015
vanderbilt university has the potential to allow you to enlarge your social network for what concern job opportunities, knowledge and skills related with your position.
Sad place to work
Technologist. (Former Employee), Nashville TNMarch 1, 2015
Pros: can't think of one.
Cons: pay rate, no training, coworkers suck.
Mistakes are common. Training is minimal. Using new people as scapegoats is common. Wouldn't recommend working for or being at patient at Vanderbilt.
Working for Vanderbilt as a CME Administrator
CME Administrator (Current Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 25, 2015
I began at Vanderbilt as an Office Assistant, went to school, and worked my way up to CME Administrator. We are a small department that oversees continuing medical education opportunities for about 200 offerings a year. I am the administrator for the regularly scheduled series with around 170 activities a year, one of the largest in the world of CME. I am currently working with a team to develop a new website that will allow users more opportunities for credit and easier ways to report the credit. My co-workers are like family. The hardest part of this position is getting users to do their part, logging in and obtaining their own credit. The most enjoyable part of this position is working with some of the smartest people I have ever met as a team to develop new opportunities.
Enjoyable work experience with great co-workers and management.
Sr. Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: ability to accomplish tasks with little supervision
Cons: pay
I was a contractor for Vanderbilt working as a Sr. Technical Support Specialist. I really enjoyed the environment. The co-workers, and the management were very respectful and easy to work with. If it wasn't for the contractors pay, I would want to stay indefinitely.
great university. great experience
Post-doctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 7, 2015
Great university. I've learned a lot in the past year. I like my research group and my adviser. I enjoy working here. ("indeed please get me out of this page, please!")
Data Coder
CPPA Data Coder (Former Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 3, 2015
Cons: dark room environment and negative attitudes
I was responsible for reviewing and coding Patient Complaints in order to group common areas for reporting purposes. I sat and read for many hours a day in a dark room. It was a very discouraging and depressing environment
Provided palliative/medical care at Vanderbilt University medical Center
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: excellent, up to date equipment and latest advancement in research.
Cons: nurse to patient ratio was difficult to balance due to high patient acuity.
Vanderbilt was a hospital with great opportunity and excellent advancement in the latest research. There was always and opportunity to learn new skills in palliative care however, the high acuity of the patients and the psychosocial needs of the family members made it difficult to balance work responsibilities and home life. Burn out occurred very quickly after a sixteen to eighteen hour day with. The most enjoyable part of working with Vanderbilt was the ability to work among some of the smartest and talented medical staff. There was always something new to learn everyday.
Honest people mean nothing to this company
Administrative Assistant 1 (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 28, 2015
I was hired by this company to work for a Professor (who is a foreigner) and told no matter what I was asked to do follow the policy of the university. I was asked to do questionable things from my boss and when I asked people up the chain of command how to proceed, I was reminded always follow university policy. Well I did that and I was terminated by one of the very higher ups who said they would – more... have my back because they knew my boss liked to go against policy. Now I am jobless and finding it hard to find work because of the review they gave me. My dream job turned into my nightmare! I worked at a foreign university for over 7 years and never had this kind of experience. These people don't want honest workers. They want people willing to lie and misuse federal funds for vacations and expensive parties and drinking. All in the name of 'Research!' Tax dollars being well spent! – less
time management is essential
Cook Assistant (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: meal discounts
Cons: hard to advance positions
time sensitve position. Need to multi task. Hours are
flexible and overtime is available sometimes.
Vanderbilt University inspires innovation & talent.
Director of Student Records (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 25, 2015
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine received an AMA grant in 2013 (a total of 11 schools in the US received this award). This grant allowed Vanderbilt University SOM to fundamentally transform their Doctor of Medicine curriculum. Simply put, they are doing what few other schools are tempting to do.

A typical day at work is anything but typical. The work environment is fast-pasted and frequently changing. You must be flexible and very collaborative. These are truly the most enjoyable parts of the job.

Productive and fun place to work
Research assistant (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 23, 2015
All the co workers are very nice, nice place to work and meet people. The job require more data skill and more knowledge in R programming.
Fun times, great people!
Hip Hop Dance Instructor (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: dancing dancing dancing!
Cons: having to cancel classes because of basketball games.
I taught hip hop dance classes at Vanderbilt University for 6 years. I taught on tuesday, and Thursday evenings. I enjoyed it immensely.
Enjoyed
Research Assistant II (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 20, 2015
Enjoyed.

Work life balanced.

Good experience and exposure.
Experience in Athletics!
Young Professionals Committee Member (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 20, 2015
Slave work. Exploit the present day internship culture. Vanderbilt Athletics does not pay their employees well (below minimum wages) while the Athletic director makes 3 million a year. Pathetic athletic department.
I Say NO
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: shift differential pay
Cons: advancement will take well over a year.
Vanderbilt pharmacy tech position is like warehouse work. You are pushing huge boxes of medicine throughout a HUGE hospital and is expected to put them in a machine in a timely manner. If you like hard "fedex" labor, then this is your place of work. Advancement will take over a year and they only choose the people they like, not the most qualified ones. Horrible because the people show favortism.
Great people
ATHLETIC TRAINER/CLINICAL COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Athletic TrainingJanuary 10, 2015
A wonderful place to work. A commitment to excellence. Nashville is a great place to live, and I am very proud to have served at VUMC. I would recommend this place of employment to anyone. The people are fantastic, the medical center is first rate, and it was a great learning experience.
Would not recommend. Very poor treatment of employees
Manager of Anatomic Pathology (Former Employee), Nashville.TNJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: good staff at lower levels and good medical directors
Cons: very bad culture and getting worse
Not a good place to work.Executive Managment has terminated or illegally laid off thousands. No severance, no payout of benefits, many law suits. Culture of institution needs overhaul from the top- particulary Diagnoistic Lab Directorship
Sadly, new did not result in improved in the case of upper management at Vanderbilt
Registered Nurse, BSN (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: benefits are pretty good, but not fabulous, and there is still tuition assistance available for full time employees.
Cons: poor pay, general disconnect between upper management and hourly employees
Care for 4-8 patients per shift. Very fast paced work with a lot of multi-tasking. Our unit was poorly designed for primary care so there was a lot of competition for resources including the medication room/Pyxis and desirable computer workstations. Work was not always distributed evenly and infighting was problematic.

I learned how to function in the midst of chaos and how to be the calm in the storm. – more...

At one time management was amazing. There are still some excellent managers on the units, but many resigned amid drastic changes affected by new upper management. One change was that the open door to our managers office was closed and our manager began spending more time off the unit in meetings than on the floor managing.
There was a general gutting of senior physicians who were replaced by good, but relatively inexperienced psychiatrists.
There also seemed to be a lot of haphazard, wholesale changes made to policy (particularly visitation policy) that have not gone particularly well.
There were also major staffing cuts, Christmas bonuses were eliminated for hourly employees, there was a freeze on raises, and the employee and child tuition benefit that was such a nice perk was cut drastically. All of these cuts were blamed on the economy, and were made around the same time as the announcement of a new state of the art surgical center center being built on campus.
Vanderbilt, on average, paid much lower wages than other area hospitals.

Like most jobs, there were some amazing people who worked there and some who were pretty bad.

The hardest part of the job was watching the mass exodus of people out of our facility after the big management change.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with patients.

Management at the unit level varies by manager, but upper management is pretty bad overall and seems to be very disconnected from the employees on the floor. – less

About Vanderbilt University

Located in Nashville, Tenn., and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care,Vanderbilt University – Read more

Vanderbilt University Salaries

$48,000 per year
Patient Care Technician
$10.61 per hour

Vanderbilt University Photos

Vanderbilt employees take in a Women's basketball game during Employee Celebration night.
Employees pose with their turkeys, tofurkeys and aprons during the holiday gift giveaway.
Vanderbilt employees enjoy fresh air on campus during National Walking Day.