Vanderbilt University

Vanderbilt University Employee Reviews

Provided palliative/medical care at Vanderbilt University medical Center
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 2, 2015
Vanderbilt was a hospital with great opportunity and excellent advancement in the latest research. There was always and opportunity to learn new skills in palliative care however, the high acuity of the patients and the psychosocial needs of the family members made it difficult to balance work responsibilities and home life. Burn out occurred very quickly after a sixteen to eighteen hour day with. The most enjoyable part of working with Vanderbilt was the ability to work among some of the smartest and talented medical staff. There was always something new to learn everyday.
Pros
excellent, up to date equipment and latest advancement in research.
Cons
nurse to patient ratio was difficult to balance due to high patient acuity.
insurance management spec (current employee)
Insurance management specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 25, 2015
Busy work environment and great department for learning and performing insurance verification. Great coworkers but management is not always good about balancing the work load. We have limited people in our department due to past layoffs and no more employees have been hired so it makes it very hard to complete all the work we do. Continous overtime practically seven days a week and work is still not able to be completed. The hardest part is working all the long hours everyday. I enjoy working a flex schedule where I work 4 days a week.
Pros
Flex schedule
Cons
continous overtime, understaffed department
Clicks & Liars
Temporary MA (Former Employee) –  Edward Curd pediatricsJune 2, 2014
Worked as a temporary MA. Office manager had no backbone. The nurses there were lazy, two faced, & since they have been there for years if they didn't like you they will lie to get rid of you. No team work, they want temporary employees to bust their butts while they conspire & lie to get rid of you. Plenty of people that have worked for Vanderbilt are quitting for a reason!!! Vanderbilt is nothing but a name. If interviewed for as full time position, forget it!!! They take their sweet time deciding if they want to hire you. STAY AWAY FROM THERE!!!
Cons
short breaks, staff is two faced, liars & lazy.
great company with a priority for patient care
Registered Nurse- Acute Care (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 10, 2013
As a nurse at Vanderbilt, I feel good coming to work, because I know that I will be treated fairly and my work is valued by the organization. I work with great people, and I love the patient population that I serve. The hardest part of the job is when patients continue to decline despite our greatest efforts. But it is also reassuring that Vanderbilt is always on the cutting edge of technology and discoveries in Medicine.
Pros
great benefits, employees are valued highly
Cons
very big and hard to navigate at times
Great Learning experinece, versitile
Manager Employee Relations (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 7, 2012
Worked with all levels of staff members, management to ensure compliance, resolve Employee Relations issues, investigate issues, created resolution plan and assisted in implementation.Worked with legal services to ensure that all informaiton was accurate and forthright for response to legal action regarding employment issues. Trained and coached all levels of management on HR issues, leadership, employee relations, policy, apllication of policy. Worked in both Adult and Childrens Hospitals as well as most clinic areas. Varying hours, shifts needed assistance.
Pros
always a great learning enviornment
Cons
trying to be in two places at same time
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 18, 2013
Check patients in and out , Verify insurance and if not found , call Central Registration to have added
put Encounter forms into system and total for the day, Tally any money taken in for the day and do deposits,
Check-in patients for other clinics for specify doctors., Schedule patients for next appointments and also
schedules Echos and Ekg patients with orders, Check for referrals and work with pal center to note accounts or cancel patients per protocol.
Check in and add on patients and run paperwork for other clinics to be checked-in
Pros
chea health insurance, variety for lunch
Cons
patients can be in-patient
Overall a great place to work
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 20, 2014
Patient service rep., giving great customer service.
I work with Vanderbilt Orthopedics Clinic were we deal with Trauma, Spine, Sports, Oncology patient I learn something different everyday.
My co-worker and I have a working relationship. The hardest thing about my job is dealing with a patient who walks in and their doctor is not in clinic wanting medication. I do handle the siuation. The most enjoyable are my patient I treat them like family.
Pros
free metro public transit in case i have car problems
Cons
breaks and lunch
Great benefits, good atmosphere, fast paced
ACTIVITIES COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 1, 2015
Typical work day is face paced. I've learned a lot about the ins and outs of Campus Recreation and Recreation Facility Maintenance. It is a friendly and professional environment with an open door policy with all supervisors. The hardest part of the job are the unexpected emergencies but the upper management assures that everyone is trained to handle emergencies. The most enjoyable part is working with the student staff, student patrons, and all other patrons that use the facilitu.
Pros
Great benefits, free gym usage
Cons
The unexpected often happens. ie: emergencies
Challenging and interesting work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  West End AvenueJune 26, 2015
I am constantly learning new tasks. I am never stuck doing the same tasks daily. My job has taught me even more organizational skills than I had on my own. Everyone is very professional. I love transcibing and tracking documents. Also, I love working with technology. (e.g. excel, word, phones, computers, mondo pads.)
Pros
good benefits, great parking, and good coworkers
Cons
no raises, reapply and interview for each promotion, less compensation than the skill and value of your work
Vanderbilt University inspires innovation & talent.
Director of Student Records (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 25, 2015
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine received an AMA grant in 2013 (a total of 11 schools in the US received this award). This grant allowed Vanderbilt University SOM to fundamentally transform their Doctor of Medicine curriculum. Simply put, they are doing what few other schools are tempting to do.

A typical day at work is anything but typical. The work environment is fast-pasted and frequently changing. You must be flexible and very collaborative. These are truly the most enjoyable parts of the job.

It's just a job
Animal Care Technician III (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 6, 2012
The only thing I can say about working for Vanderbilt Medical Center is that it pays well and the benefits aren't the worst. Management is horrible and over paid for sitting on their bums who don't know how to care about their employees or get their hands dirty in time of need. There is no advancement opportunities! You're stuck where you're at when hired....goes back to management not caring.
Pros
great pay
Cons
horribly management, no advancement opportunities.
Vanderbilt University is great on the cutting edge academic institution
Clinical and Public Research Analysts (Former Employee) –  Nashville TNDecember 20, 2011
Vanderbilt was a great place to work. A private university right in the middle of the City of Nashville TN. A great academic institution. There are a lot of opportunities for employees to grow and advance themselves. I would consider it as one of the greatest research institutions in the South. With plenty of exposure to cultural activities.
Pros
college tuition paid for their children, college tuition reimbursement
Cons
most of the jobs depend on grants, if grant is not renewed you are out of a job
Very nice environment with the Vanderbilt students.
Retail (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 24, 2014
I was fortunate to work in the Vanderbilt's brand new health food store. I learned to provide accurate information to Vanderbilt's students regarding meal plans and meal money choices. The hardest part of the job was stocking inside coolers in 32 degree temperatures every night from forty minutes to over an hour. The most enjoyable part was the experience I had working on a college campus.
Pros
great pay and fantastic health insurance.
Cons
it was a seasonal job. off all summer with zero pay.
Neuropathology as Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 3, 2015
Typing reports, answering phones, receiving specimen for processing, handling division budget, travel itineraries/expense reports, check requests, ordering supplies, faxing/mailing reports to doctors, etc. It is important to me to have a good personality and outlook on a job and being able to be a team-player and to accept criticism when it comes; whether it is something I already know or something new being learned. The enjoyable part is being able to explore new avenues and learn new things about a job, the challenge.
A pretty profound place to work
Certified Medical Assistant/ CPR Approved (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TnNovember 5, 2012
A typical day would be most of the time pretty stressful. Working short staffed all the time with the providers seeing over 50 plus pt.'s per day.
There was always a big turn over when it cam eto keeping management in Urology. So there were always big changes.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to make a pt. laugh or smile when their coming to one of the hardest appt.'s of their life.
Manager, HR Operations (ESC) (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 10, 2015
Vanderbilt is one of the largest employers in TN. With over 25,000 employees it is a great place to work with growth and learning opportunities. The information and skill set gained in priceless.

Vanderbilt provides medical insurance for full-time staff as well as part-time. The full-time benefits range from medical, tuition, PTO and retirement matching.

Overall, anyone can have a great and long lasting career at Vanderbilt.
Pros
One hour lunches, growth opportunities, health benefits, PTO, location
Cons
Far drive from my residence
Exhilerating place to work
Central Appointment Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 18, 2014
I had an overall good experience working at Vanderbilt in the psychiatry department. There was never a dull day. I had the opportunity to cross train in areas of front desk check-in, charge entry, insurance verifications, and call center. My co-workers and I developed a team and worked really well together. I enjoyed the most being able to engage patients on a day to day basis, knowing that my encounter with them was making a difference.
HIgh volume/fast-paced; High productivity; little communication outside pods
Accounts Reimbursement Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 3, 2015
Good place to work; however I want to move up; promote myself if possible doing other things as it would be nice to be more than a number, your quality and the "human" aspects should be part of a job experience. Overall good place.
Pros
overtime if you need it; good benefits; flexibility; good managers
Cons
expected overtime (nonstop); communication gap; not much on personal growth
Challenging with the many voices you here daily. Also something different
Central Appointment Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 13, 2013
Call center makes a interesting day. Challenging, a lot of different ways of life for many people that you never meet.
Phone work can be very rewarding even though you wouldn't think so.
Team work very important in this line of work.
To me the hardest part of the job is the phone call you receive and unable to assist in a manner that you feel comfortable with.
Rewarding when the phone call is actually taken care in a satisfying and timely manner
Overall Summary
Program Coordinator II/CME Conferences (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 14, 2013
A typical day would be working on my conference events and follow-up calls, etc. I have learned how to exceed in my profession as a lead Program Coordinator and have knowledge in every aspect of an event both on the regional, national and international level. My co-workers are awesome. Overall great place to work.
Pros
i am fortunate to work with some of the most brilliant and wonderful doctors
Cons
the long hours and late nights sometimes