Vanderbilt University

Vanderbilt University Employer Reviews

Great Place to work!
Central Appointment Scheduler (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMay 29, 2014
Pros: overall great place to work
Cons: management
Great place to work! The hardest part of the job was understanding and reading the doctors writing. Management in my department could have been a little better, but others were awesome!
Good foot in the door but poor Managers
Account Reimbursement Specialist I (Current Employee), Nashville, TNMay 27, 2014
Was told to choose between my child & my career. I did the only thing I could, find a job closer to home.
Excellent employees -caring employees
Patient Service Representative 1 (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMay 24, 2014
I am part of an excellent team in office -very caring doctors and staff. Some of the top rated doctors in the country work in the office. My co-workers are a excellent team. I have learned so much about Neurology and the diseases that are treated in our office.
Great place to work. Voted top 10 hospitals in the country.
Administrative Assistant/Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Nashville, TNMay 21, 2014
Pros: good benefits, discount on vanderbilt football/baseball tickets, advancement is always a possibility
Cons: have to pay for parking to come to work, unless you ride public transportation
My typical day changes hour by hour, minute by minute. Because of my longevity of 16 years with the Institution, I'm a go-to person for questions and troubleshooting, especially within my department of over 200 staff members. Communication is mostly through emails, so I'm on the computer answering emails, setting up meetings for the department Administrative – more... Director, and composing documents most of the day. I supervisor four clerical staff helping them through situations that require my assistance on a daily basis, mostly answering questions. The hardest part of my job is trying to complete all tasks that need to be done in an eight hour period, which is why prioritizing and organizing is so important. The most enjoyable part of my job is the team atmosphere that is within the department and hospital as a whole. Everyone is always looking out for each other. – less
Benefits
Education Specialist (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMay 20, 2014
The benefits at Vanderbilt are great
The hardest part of the job is learning the personalities and expectations of those you work for.
Overall a great place to work
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee), Nashville, TNMay 20, 2014
Pros: free metro public transit in case i have car problems
Cons: breaks and lunch
Patient service rep., giving great customer service.
I work with Vanderbilt Orthopedics Clinic were we deal with Trauma, Spine, Sports, Oncology patient I learn something different everyday.
My co-worker and I have a working relationship. The hardest thing about my job is dealing with a patient who walks in and their doctor is not in clinic wanting – more... medication. I do handle the siuation. The most enjoyable are my patient I treat them like family. – less
Worst Place To Work
Accounting (Current Employee), Nashville, TNMay 19, 2014
Pros: location
Cons: pay, benefits, communication, management, pto/worklife balance
In the past 2 years VUMC has taken away vacation time accrual, changed our future PTO accruals to much less than ever before, restricted promotions and growth, increased the amount you pay on healthcare coverage, and they refuse to pay reasonable salaries. I received 1 raise in the last 3 years, and it wasn't even enough to offset tax increases and – more... increases in what I have to pay for my health insurance. At one time VUMC was a wonderful place to work, but, since 2012, this place has gone down hill fast.

STAY AWAY! Especially administrative folks. They don't care a thing about you, and management is so disconnected from reality that it's scary. Communication and Pay are the worst I've ever seen. – less
Great place to learn but pay is low compared to other hospitals
Charge Nurse-CVICU (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMay 11, 2014
Pros: great learning and experience
Cons: very low pay
Great place to learn especially if you are wanting to become a CRNA. Pay and benefits are pathetic compared to other hospitals in the area.
The best company to work in TN
Healthcare System Analyst Programmer III (Current Employee), Nashville, TNMay 6, 2014
You will meet a lot of talented people everyday. I have enjoyed worked at Vanderbilt. The only downside is that most of the jobs are based on Federal funding.
Easy to understand
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMay 4, 2014
Pros: not difficult to learn duties
Not a difficult job. Duties are quite easy to comprehend. Casual atmosphere.
a motivated, easy-going funny guy!
Research Assistant III (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMay 3, 2014
I am a motivated and have extensive experience (20+ years) working with a wide range of techniques in the field molecular and cell biology, an advanced understanding of underlying scientific theory, the ability to work independently and to trouble-shoot, as well as having an extremely easy-going personality. Also I like to learn and a lot of outdoor – more... activities like fishing , ping pong table,dance sometime....etc – less
Productive Learning Environment
Pharmacy Intern (Former Employee), Nashville, TNApril 29, 2014
Pros: work with your schedule
Cons: no benefits as an intern
Vanderbilt University Hospital is a productive learning environment for those in the medical field, such as pharmacy. They are an innovative teaching hospital that specializes in cardiac, neurological, and pediatrac care.
Great place to work with wonderful benefits.
Senior Research Specialist (Current Employee), Nashville, TNApril 29, 2014
Pros: college tuition benefit, good insurance benefit
Cons: funding for senior positions limited
Vanderbilt is a wonderful place to work. Research is done in a very collaborative manner. There is generally great support for employees.
These positions were through Kelly Placement
Case Cart Specialist (Current Employee), Nashville, TNApril 22, 2014
Cons: cutting back employment and not being reinstated.
Opportunity to learn new skills and became full time. The faculty and staff were cooperative.
pleasant department
Clinical Supply Specialist (Former Employee), nasvhille, TNApril 21, 2014
Pros: nice department
Cons: no room for growth
Learned alot of myself and acquired alot of knowledge on the job.
Post doctorate research and teaching.
Assistant Professor and Post-Doctoral Researcher (Former Employee), Nashville, TNApril 18, 2014
Excellent research environment. Students could be a bit demanding in asking for additional office hours, but overall they were well prepared. It was a fixed three year contract, so no opportunity to continue at the university.
Educational experience
Circulating Nurse, LPN II (Former Employee), Nashville,TNApril 15, 2014
Able to learn many areas of the surgical arena and expand my nursing knowledge.
benefit
Patient Service Rep (Current Employee), Nashville, TNApril 14, 2014
Pros: hospital enviroment
Cons: short breaks expensive benefits
Vanderbilt benefits are nothing like they were 5 years ago BEWARE
Don't go there
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Nashville, TNApril 10, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: terrible pay/terrible management
Terrible place to work. No matter what you do, they do not give you any respect.
Wonderful, caring professionals, best experience of my nursing career.
Perioperative Circulator (Former Employee), Nashville, TNApril 9, 2014
Pros: supportive environment.
Cons: none.
Team environment with pride and excellence in every patient and family we cared for.

About Vanderbilt University

Vanderbilt University is a private research university located in Nashville, Tennessee, United States. Founded in 1873, the university – Read more