Vanderbilt University Employee Reviews

Computer Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 4, 2017
Good work environment. Campus is beautiful and the work culture is good. Management was pretty good. Benefits were very good.
Vanderbilt
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 1, 2017
Loved working here. The people are amazing. They are very open for people to learn whatever they can there. I just couldn't afford to drive back and forth everyday. All around an amazing place to work at.
Used to be fabulous, workforce reduction beginning 2013 ruined everything
RN3 (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 27, 2017
The medical insurance and benefits are phenomenal. Being a RN at Vandy after 2013 workforce reduction is less fabulous. Understaffed, high turnover, terrible rearrangement of management. Less PTO, 25% less vacation without warning. Increased nurse to patient ratios leaving bedside work considerably more hard. Lower payscales vs. local hospitals. Great healthy eating options.
Pros
benefits, nice location to work
Cons
Management is out of touch, high RN turnover, less PTO than previous years, actively cutting benefits house wide whenever possible
positive work environment
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNJanuary 27, 2017
i love working at VBJ the atmosphere is excellent and i am always supported by my coworkers to improve myself to be the best that i can be. management is excellent geri eaves is one of the most caring and understanding managers i have ever had
Great benefits
registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nadhville, tnJanuary 27, 2017
Vanderbilt has great opportunities, benefits and really great departments (some). The medical side of Vandy does not like to give raises. You have to pay a lot for parking. If you choose to work here I do not suggest working in the Registration part of the ER. The department has a high turn over, and shows a lot of favoritism to certain employees. I enjoyed the work I did sometimes, we defe
Best
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 17, 2017
Loved and enjoyed working for this company. If I could do it all over again I would. I enjoyed the staff and patients. Ive always been good at what I do and will do it again
good place to learn and grow
Data Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 14, 2017
a very good place to learn and grow in your career. I like this place and ready to go back if given a chance. Highly skilled people and you get to attend lot of lectures for free
The Vanderbilt Clinic
NEPHROLOGY AND RENAL TRANSPLANT NURSE II (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 14, 2017
Almost always, a typical day starts with the most important people, the patients. Almost always they have traveled for many miles and hours to get to the one place that is going to help them. Sometimes they are exhausted, nervous and excited. And quite often they are very sick and have been for some time and their last hope is Vanderbilt. Reassurance and comfort measures abound in our clinic from a warm blanket to a cool drink of water to a heartfelt hug to let them know that they will get the best care possible.
The Vanderbilt employee takes pride in knowing that miracles do happen, thanks to some of the most brilliant doctors in the nation that have chosen to be a part of Vanderbilt.
Wonderful nurses that care about accurate documentation in the charts because the Vanderbilt patient has only one chart and it is a document of communication between all of the patients medical doctors.
Continuity in care from the parking lot attendant who helps one find their vehicle, to the valet driver that helps get a wheelchair and patient transporter to appointments, to the custodial worker who makes sure the bathrooms are clean and comfortable, to the nurse leaving their shift or the nurse coming in to work who stop on their way to help point you in the right direction for appointments, to the food service workers that provide food with a smile. All of management is "on the same sheet of music"...to care and provide comfort.
The hardest part of working at Vanderbilt is the drive to work. Over the course of 4 years, my drive went from 1 hr 15 minutes one way to 2 + hours one
  more... way. I was putting in too much time on the road and my work/home life was beginning to suffer. I resigned from the best job I ever had. The most enjoyable part of my job, besides the patients were my coworkers and supervisors.
We too were also, "on the same sheet of music".
Pros
Working with some of the best physicians in the nation. Learning.
Cons
Lunch yes, but no breaks. Traffic.
Great place to work and learn
NICU RN (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 14, 2017
This is a great hospital to learn and experience the most critical cases in you career. We provide care of a region around 200 mile radius of Nashville.
Pros
Getting experience at a LEVEL IV
Cons
Salary for the area. Nashville has explosive growth and rent is too high.
Some good and some bad
Quality and Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 13, 2017
Once you get in you are stuck and there aren't a lot of opportunities to advance. Also, they have removed a lot of the vacation benefits and very political. However, there are a lot of smart fun people.
Trading on an old reputation
RN, BSN (Current Employee) –  vanderbilt childrens outpatientJanuary 8, 2017
Work life balance? As long as you get the work done, and management has a life, that's what they call balance.

Compensation is not competitive. Vanderbilt has many educational offerings but due to horrendous staff shortages you are never allowed to attend any. Benefits and parking are quite expensive, essentially you pay to work here.

Management is lacking, obvious favoritism, hostile treatment by management if you are not among the few favorites, and unbelievably the senior management has no nursing background!

High stress, chaotic, poor & inconsistent management.

A lot of "not my patient, not my problem" and 'do more with less' is the standard.

I learned Vanderbilt looks good on a résumé, so get in and move on as soon as possible.
Pros
A few nice coworkers
Cons
under staffed, under appreciated, under paid, parking is very expensive
Health IT Dept
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 6, 2017
Great place to work at, directors and supervisors all respond and listen to anything you have to say. I learned a lot in the administrative role I held.
Pros
Catered lunches 2x a week, free soft drinks, juice, coffee, water
Vanderbilt in an exceptionally diverse in respect to therapy and research
RPSGT (Current Employee) –  Sleep Disorders CenterJanuary 4, 2017
A diverse employer with exceptional opportunities to see and treat a wide scope of patients All areas of polysomnography diagnostic and therapeutic seen weekly. Research in areas of neurology also a huge focus. I have learned a great deal while working at Vanderbilt Medical
Pros
research and new therapy modalities
Cons
salary tops out too low
it was enjoyable
pneumatic tube delivery man (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 3, 2017
I enjoyed it. I walked about 12 miles a day and saw a lot of different people and could interact with a lot of people so thats what made me enjoy it. great place to work.
good stepping stone out of undergrad
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 27, 2016
Good stepping stone for some quick experience. Bad pay, no future at all for advancement. Go here and work hard for a couple of months for a good recommendation, boost your resume, then quickly get out.
Very Busy
Patient Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 23, 2016
Environment great. Alot of OB/GYN patients to treat. I love there stories. The job duties was nothing hard very easy work and the co-workers was easy to work with.
Excellent Business Partners and Hiring Leaders
Senior Talent Acquisition Consultant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 22, 2016
Skilled Leaders, pleasant co-workers, opportunities for advancement. Competitive pay, competitive benefits, prestigious.
Pros
Discount coupons, exercise facilities, opportunities to grow and learn
I choose not to answer.
Coordinator/Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 29, 2016
I choose not to answer. This could be damaging and I should not be required to answer this question just to submit a resume'.
Fair and Focused place to work
RPSGT (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 17, 2016
By far my favorite job and place of employment. I had to leave for personal family reasons but would recommend this company to anyone. Great benefits as well. Management was the best and went out of their way to work for the employee.
Pros
Competitive pay, College tuition discounts
VU Medical Center
Exec Asst to VPs & Dept Heads (Former Employee) –  VU Medical CenterNovember 16, 2016
A typical day at Vanderbilt brings its highs and lows as any job does.
I am fortunate enough to be employed by the Medical Center where we all work as a team. The management in my department is wonderful.

The hardest part of my job is to tryng to separate emotions from the difficult cases we deal with on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I see positive results from our involvement with these difficult cases.

I have learned that when help is needed and wanted it is valued and appreciated.
Pros
Pleasant work environment
Cons
poor parking, lots of traffic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vanderbilt University. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval