Vanderbilt University Employee Reviews in United States

Great job until summer
Cashier/Office Assistant/Food Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Nashville tnMay 6, 2012
I Cashiered over 1000 students a day and it was always busy. I didn't learn much because I was a cashier. Management had so much miscommunication and was very lazy. This job is for an older crowd who will settle for anything for there is no advancement opportunity here. If you are a cashier now, you will be that 40 years from now if you choose to stay. The worst thing is getting laid-off when the students aaren't in class; that's fall, winter, spring and the big one, summer break. All are unpaid time off too. It's an easy job but you will get stuck there if you let yourself
Pros
%70 discount on food, ok benefits depending on your plan
Cons
no free parking, long hours, you have to be older to be able to sit
A great place to work
Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 25, 2016
A great place to learn, awesome team work, very busy and fast paced environment, quality patient care, lots of educational benefits, ect.
Easy going clinical research office
Clinical Trials Associate I (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 5, 2016
The PIs give their employees a lot of autonomy and supported many of my colleagues and myself to pursue higher education.
Great Place to Work
Access Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN 37215April 26, 2016
I truly love my job at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. The management has an open door policy which allows us to be able to communicate any issues freely.
It's a good place to work here
Research assistant III (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 6, 2016
Enjoy the flexibility for work hours. coworkers are nice. The job responsibilities are high. The pay does not match the work load.
Cutting edge, fast paced, and fun
CVICU RN (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 26, 2016
This was my favorite place to work. I loved the people, and the high acuity of the patient populations I cared for. I learned so much in the time I spent here.
Bar Scene
pageant coordinator (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNApril 27, 2016
I had a great time helping run and coordinate the pageants and events. I was always given free range and game with opinions and themes.. great family to work for
Productive and Nice place to work.
Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 20, 2015
Good working environment, with very pleasant individuals to greet you at the facility. Things you'll learn while employed, how to be more efficient in time management, effective customer service skills & how to be a team-player. Management can be difficult at times, ever-changing goals & standards to meet. Co-workers are very pleasant and always willing to help with any issues with patients or information needed for professional use. The hardest part of the job would be the lack of enough workers to become efficient in the department. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people you work with as well as the fulfillment of helping others to have the most optimum health care experience.
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 20, 2016
Good teamwork, great leadership, management is caring, provides good learning and values hard work. Requires some overtime but all has lots of fun social event.
inventory control
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 3, 2016
a typical day working in a warehouse environment, I learn many different skills. I multitasked utilizing a lot of different skills. The environment was fun and full of energy couldn't ask for a better work environment.
awesome
Respiratory Therapist RRT (Current Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNApril 29, 2016
Awesome place to work co workers are very intelligent, kind and love their patients. would not want to work any place else
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Patient Billing (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 6, 2016
Process of depositing, posting and managing patient payments, process insurance claims , research potential issues and solutions , File claims in a timely manner , concise patient statements that leverage existing financial data to create effective patient communications.
Patient Care Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 11, 2016
I spent 18 years at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. I enjoyed my time there and appreciated the experience I gained in various aspects of healthcare.
Pros
Diverse
Progressive work environment, competent fellow workers, Great benefits
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 5, 2014
Vanderbilt was a very good place to work in many ways: 1( always progressive in health care techniques 2) Encouraged employee continued education and advancement 3) Most peers were very capable, willing team players 4) Provided good salary and excellent benefits.

Hardest part was helping these families through difficult times when they experienced a painful loss!
The most rewarding part of the job was knowing I had made a positive difference for my patients, both physically and emotionally throughout their hospital experience by assuring them they were in "good hands" and would receive not only competent services but truly feel "Cared for" throughout their stressful experience.
Pros
excellent benefits, competitive salary, progressive environment
Cons
long, hard hours; sometimes understaffed, travel on i-24 to work
Very fast-paced, exciting environment
Certified occupational therapy assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 17, 2016
As a first job out of school, Vanderbilt has given me the opportunity to advance my skills as a COTA. I have had a variety of different patients with varied deficits.
Pros
coworkers, patients
Great company to work for
Clinical Research Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 3, 2015
Vanderbilt University is a great company to work for. They have a lot of great programs for employees to enhance their physical and mental health, and have several employee events throughout the year to show employees their appreciation for them. Great benefits, too - even some for part-time employees.
Seems typical
Histotechnologist,Clinical (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 7, 2012
This is a good lab overall. It is typical of a very large organization, and also a teaching hospital with all the usual politics and beauracracy. There seems to be no chance for any kind of advancement. It is getting up to speed now somewhat, but they seem to be kind of slow to change and innovate. But again that seems typical of this type of organization. The compensation is below average. The workload is not too heavy, and overall it is a workable enough job. I like my current supervisor, but have no contact with any other leadership. You certainly feel like a number most of the time, so if this bothers you, you might be dissappointed. If you were in a higher level position this may be different?
Pros
regular schedule, steady work
Cons
difficult hours, market of people is tough, pay only so-so
Worst Place To Work
Accounting (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 19, 2014
In the past 2 years VUMC has taken away vacation time accrual, changed our future PTO accruals to much less than ever before, restricted promotions and growth, increased the amount you pay on healthcare coverage, and they refuse to pay reasonable salaries. I received 1 raise in the last 3 years, and it wasn't even enough to offset tax increases and increases in what I have to pay for my health insurance. At one time VUMC was a wonderful place to work, but, since 2012, this place has gone down hill fast.

STAY AWAY! Especially administrative folks. They don't care a thing about you, and management is so disconnected from reality that it's scary. Communication and Pay are the worst I've ever seen.
Pros
location
Cons
pay, benefits, communication, management, pto/worklife balance
productive and respectful place to work
CNA/ Medical receptionist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 8, 2016
I was responsible for patient care/charting/ and occasional medical receptionist work. Great place to work and learn new medical techniques!
Not the place it used to be.
Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 18, 2014
Vanderbilt was a great place to work in the beginning. After 3 years on they job I have been turned down for promotions and yearly raises have been cut each year to save money. My direct management was great but Vandy is no longer the place I grew up hearing about. The big wigs cut jobs relentlessly sometimes getting rid of entire departments at a time just to out source the work. At this time I wouldn't recommend any one come work at Vanderbilt unless you like the suspense of wondering what day will be your last.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
employes are just cogs in they machine