Vanderbilt University Employee Reviews in United States

insurance management spec (current employee)
Insurance management specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 25, 2015
Busy work environment and great department for learning and performing insurance verification. Great coworkers but management is not always good about balancing the work load. We have limited people in our department due to past layoffs and no more employees have been hired so it makes it very hard to complete all the work we do. Continous overtime practically seven days a week and work is still not able to be completed. The hardest part is working all the long hours everyday. I enjoy working a flex schedule where I work 4 days a week.
Pros
Flex schedule
Cons
continous overtime, understaffed department
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 24, 2015
Good work if you can get it. Not necessarily stable, it has a very very intense bureaucratic style that can be very hard to get around.
Large employer with broad range of positions
Assistant Director of Communications - Development (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 24, 2015
One of the largest employers in Middle Tennessee, Vanderbilt University prides itself on innovation and advancement across its broad range of disciplines and programs. Faculty, staff, students and graduates work collaboratively and effectively toward an overarching goal of achieving excellence in research and practice, no matter the field. With an immediate impact on the local community, Vanderbilt also maintains an impressive reputation throughout the region and the nation, as well as globally.

Work for Vanderbilt varies by department and school. Employees enjoy access to extensive benefits such as tuition reimbursement, discounts with local vendors and educational opportunities.
Vanderbilt Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 22, 2015
It is a good job to gain experience, other than that, there is not much room to climb the ladder. The morale is very low at Vanderbilt, due to some recent changes to PTO, sick time, etc. It can be a very tense place to work. The benefits are excellent. The hardest part of my day is seeing very sick people.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short lunches
Great work experience
Medical Assistant and Medical Office Support (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 18, 2015
Being that it was a teaching hospital as a medical assistant I was only allowed to room patients. I had never worked with children at this point so it was a whole a new experience that I loved. Management was good. She micromanaged a little but over all she was easy to work with. Co-workers were easy to get along with. The hardest part of this position was the fact that they did not allow you to work out of your job description so it made it hard to help other workers if they needed. Also they were doing layoffs and so it was difficult always wondering if I was going to get cut. The best part of the job was getting to work with the children. It was a completely different group than I was use to.
Pros
patients
Cons
layoffs, lack of team work
Research oriented academic institution
Resident Physician (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 17, 2015
Integration of complex patient data into reports entered into an electronic medical records system
Excellence in patient care
Pros
Good benefits, tertiary care institution
Cons
large institution, difficult to cultivate relationships
Great family-like environment
Clinical Staffing Resource Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 17, 2015
I really enjoyed the years spent here. I learned something everyday. If you have the desire to learn it, they will teach you.
work like a slave
Phlebotomist II (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 11, 2015
on your feet for long hours..poor management staff. bad work experience..sometimes lunch break was not received. stressful environment
Pros
only thing good was I had a job
Vanderbilt worker for 5 years
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNJune 8, 2015
I have experience working on Medical and the University side.

The medical side is rewarding because at end of the day you are helping lives and being a part of something greater. The hours are more flexible and accomdating for those with family and other extra curricular activities after work.

The university side is very political and very cliquish. You have to look the part and be a pretty face. If you are not the majority and are a minority then it is hard to be rewarded with raises and move up the corporate ladder.

The majority looks out for each other.

A typical day on the university side consists of talking among co-workers, go to work out on campus if you are in the right clique and taking coffee breaks
Pros
good benefits, employee discounts
Cons
no paid vacation you acrrue off what you work, not good pay
need to find another job/do something different
Medical Laboratory / Specimen Receiving Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 2, 2015
co workers are wonderful/meal discounts/we are extremely short staff
work hours have change/ need to find a job without weekends.
Pros
meal discounts
Cons
understaff.
great place to work
Senior Talent Acquisition Consultant (Current Employee) –  Village at VanderbiltMay 31, 2015
Co-workers are great! Wonderful team environment. Hardest part of this job is to cover your workload along with other co-worker's workload during their absence. For example: I had to cover for another recruiter for a month; this was somewhat difficult when we both have over 60+ positions.
Pros
Team Environment
Cons
Workload at times
Enjoyable and an incredible learning environment
Research Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 31, 2015
- Great place to learn new things
- Coworkers were nice and helpful
- Gained a great understanding of the research industry, while also developing new skills
- Hardest Part- some of the failures, and troubleshooting research techniques
- Most enjoyable- learning new things
Fast paced - Busiest office in Vanderbilt system
LPN (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNMay 31, 2015
Busy, busy, busy! I work in the busiest office in the Vanderbilt system. One physican sees between 80 - 100 patients daily.
Pros
patients appreciate the care and compassion you show them
Cons
No lunch, long work hours, no guarantee of work hours
Great Place to work
Epilepsy Surgery Program Manager / Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 24, 2015
This is a great organization to work for. Great place to retire as well. This organization has great benefits that are affordable for anyone!
Pros
Cons
Traffic area
Fun place to work
Externship (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 19, 2015
fun place to work great people and employees very clean runs smoothly just a great work experience all around loved my extern experience.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
RN / LPN Surgical Tech (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 17, 2015
A typical day at work is a full day of taking care of injured or reconstructive patients. I have learned a lot. Team work is definitely one of the best things I learned here. My co-workers are the best you can find. The hardest part of the job is transferring and lifting patients to change and care for their wounds. My most enjoyable part of the job is working with my team to take care of injured and sick patients.
Pros
Day shift and I love my team
Cons
Short breaks
Enjoyed the PICU
Surgical Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 9, 2015
Management was very supportive and accommodating of my school schedule outside of work. They helped me transition to the PICU when I decided that it was time for a change. Staff were like a second family.
Pros
self scheduling
Cons
short staffed
Fun place to work great people to interact with
Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville TNMay 8, 2015
Typical work day would be scheduling patients for radiology tests. Answering calls at a medium volume. Supervisor was great to work with.
Pros
Free Lunch on certain days
Cons
short breaks and traveling distance
Excellent place to work
Assistant Director of Community Development (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 6, 2015
Vanderbilt is a great place to work at. I worked for over 13 year's there and they really believed in promoting from within. Co-workers were great. Work atmosphere was awesome. I would highly recommend this company.
Federal work-study
Intramural Referee (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 3, 2015
Working at Vanderbilt University as a referee was great. I enjoy sports, but am not very athletic, thus refereeing was the next best thing. It was something I enjoyed doing, and it provided me with necessary job experience. I learned about professionalism, cooperation, and the work environment.