Vanderbilt University Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 3, 2016
Loved interacting and teaching in the classroom full of bright and determined individuals! Vanderbilt is an excellent place to work
Busy , good job for anybody who's in school
Nutrition Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 26, 2016
Taking care of the patients making sure everything is done correctly .
Allowing you to interact with the customers and their families .
Making sure your job is done correctly .
Letting the patients know your here to help .
Allowing each patient to stay happy no matter what the situation may be.
Taking hot fresh food up to the patients .
Communicating to make sure everything is done as it should be .
Cons
No breaks, part time
RN, BSN (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 26, 2016
I really enjoyed working at VUMC. The surgeons and staff are great people. It is a positive and exciting place to work. The most exciting part of my job was being able to meet new people and help get them better!
Pros
Great staff
Cons
stressful at times
Great support system in place
Registered Nurse - Adult Medicine (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 11, 2016
While the acuity of my general medicine floor is usually quite high, I work with a great group of coworkers who believe in teamwork as well as making sure that patients are our top priority. I feel that I have grown exponentially as a nurse in my time at Vanderbilt, both in honing my skills as a bedside nurse as well as learning the intricacies of what it takes to be the Charge Nurse of a 28-bed unit; having to be responsible for not only the 6 RN's and 3 CPs but the patients as well. Even on our harderst days, I know that I can always look to my coworkers and that we will help to get each other through. I eagerly look forward to the next chapter in my life of nursing.
Poor Experience
Ph.D. Student (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 10, 2016
Poor experience working at Vanderbilt University. I would not recommend it to future employees and students interested in pursuing a Ph.D.
Amazing
RN (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 24, 2016
VUMC is a wonderful place to work. I love working for Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee. I would encourage others to consider employment with this great hospital.
not impressed
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 23, 2016
My work days were challenging. There were no promotional opportunities with this organization. The work was straightforward, but not challenging. Janitorial services.
Challenging yet congenial environment
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 21, 2016
Vanderbilt University and Vanderbilt University Medical Center have become two separate non-profit entities creating diverse change. Both institutions will now have a once in a lifetime opportunity to make significant changes to both business models positioning both for extraordinary future growth.

VUIT and VUMC IT have also split after merging just two years ago making it seem management is not transparent in any way shape or form as it relates to changes in the works.

I can't speak for my colleagues except the changes were and continue to be ongoing and create high levels of stress. The long timers don't like the centralization of IT and there is a fear of loss of control of data.

Currently the most difficult aspect of the job is a poor structure for communication and a veil of secrecy around changes. I was a System Admin two weeks ago and came in and was told I was a Senior Technical Support Specialist because the government want uniformity in IT jobs. I was not demoted and assured that would be relayed if anyone inquired.

I love the work I do making sure each day at the school I support goes off without a hitch. I had 100% classroom uptime last year and so far this year. I arrived here to find things unorganized and faculty and staff livid and I will leave here with faculty and staff at peace and hating to see me go.
Pros
1 Week Christmas break in addition to regular PTO
Cons
Inconsistent policies, fear of change, fear of layoffs, sudden job description changes.
ok place to work
Surgery Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 21, 2016
I enjoyed working there but there were some issues with raises and evaluations that I didn't necessarily agree with. I did enjoy taking care of the patients and ensuring they got what they needed and a lot of the people I work with was very nice and friendly
Pros
and ensuring they got what they needed in order to get taken care of
Cons
phrases and I did not feel is the recommendation for advances were Fair
Fast paced, wonderful learning environment
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 17, 2016
Fast paced level one trauma center and teaching hospital. Something new to learn every day. I love my job and my coworkers, this hospital has made me a better nurse.
Amazing Experience
Student Manager and Conference Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 16, 2016
Super flexible schedule for student workers, amazing management staff, beautiful campus. With this job I got to learn way more about my school than I otherwise would have, and that's something I can appreciate for the rest of my life.
An alright place to work...
WEB DESIGNER / DEVELOPER - WEB COMMUNICATIONS (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 12, 2016
Benefits are good, red tape sucks.. no one can make a decision... when there has to be a decision made it has to be vetted through a dozen different people. This just makes the process of getting anything done slow... other than that i've enjoyed working here.
good place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 3, 2016
Good place to work, benefits are great, the care of the patients are at the top of the bar. Staff is loving and the patients love their care
benefits
Cons
low pay
Energetic and busy department, yet not micro managed. Great management and Benefits!
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Medical Center North, Department of NeurologyAugust 30, 2016
Vanderbilt is a great place to have a secure, valued and relevant job with great benefits. Can manage my day, have great benefits, great culture and good pay. I love my docs!
Pros
Self managed day, able to organize the way that works best to get the job done, Benefits, pay, hours.
Cons
Not much room for advancement in my current department, no other cons, would not be leaving Vanderbilt if we were not relocating to TX.
Fast paced Environment
RN (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 22, 2016
Vanderbilt Medical center has won many awards for its achievements, coworkers are very helpful, overall management is lacking with some unfair standards
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
short or no breaks, not competitive pay, short staffed
Good working conditions but limited potential for advancement
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 16, 2016
At Vandy I kept supplies stocked. I made solutions. I made sure the glassware was clean and put up. I made sure the nitrogen tanks were
ordered and the logs were kept up. There were a lot of people that I came in contact with. I made sure the autoclaves were in working order.I also ran errands.
Pros
health care, easy job
Cons
very limited chance of advancement
Wonderful team of motivated doctors and students
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 23, 2016
Typical Work day: Restocking, organizing, assisting nurses and doctors as needed, checking patients in, processing with the patients as social workers worked on placement.
What I learned: The emergency room can get very chaotic.Team work is highly important. Self- Care is emphasized so eat good, get sleep, and stay hydrated.
Management: Great team of motivated and driven workers
Pros
Motivated team of workers
Cons
exhausting, don't always get to take a break because of staff shortage, pressure, can get chaotic.
Excellent Training and Highly Progressive Oranization
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 22, 2016
The Vanderbilt Way sets a high standard of medical care for residents of Tennessee. Vanderbilt uses quality instructors for training and real life hospital simulations for training. this helps to acclimate and prepare new employees for the floor.
Pros
Great Benefits, cutting edge technology, user friendly operation systems
Cons
Intense.
Was a nice place to work until new management came
Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 21, 2016
I used to enjoy working for my department, however things changed too fast too soon, and the turnover rate increased due to the new management and new rules
An environment of standards
Budget Accountant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 20, 2016
A typical day at work includes coffee and a genuine good morning to my coworkers in passing. I love to stay busy at work and trust me, I do just that. So once I get to my desk, I check emails and reply as necessary. Next, I pull up my task list on Microsoft Outlook to complete unfinished and upcoming task.
I have heard so many people, including myself, who would say that "I am an analytical thinker." I thought that I was until I began working for Vanderbilt. Due to the constraints on time, a lot of self training is required and this is how I truly became an analytical thinker. I am so appreciative of everything that I have learned at Vanderbilt. My co-workers are friendly and very helpful. The hardest part of the job is fighting traffic in order to get to the job. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is being able to contributed to the company's growth in various ways such as producing quality work and volunteering on committees.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Long work hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vanderbilt University. Our community is ready to answer.