Vanderbilt University

Vanderbilt University Employer Reviews

Great Place to work
Manager, System Software Engineering (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJuly 16, 2013
Over all I would rate Vanderbilt as a great place to work. I worked for them for over 15 years. The people who work at Vanderbilt are great and the mission of supporting patient care, medical research and education was easy to get behind. The benefits are very good and the hours are flexible. I would highly recommend them as a good place to start a – more... career. – less
Enjoy working there
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Perioperative ServicesJuly 15, 2013
Enjoy working there. Evidence Based practice is very important to this university. Management is proactive and easy to work with. Lots of teaching opportunities. Can be hard to navigate when you start working there.
A fast paced, exciting department to work in
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJuly 15, 2013
Pros: good people work here
Cons: it is stressfull when you know you may have someones life in the balance
I enjoy working in Clinical Engineering. The urgent telephone calls from the hospital are enough to make your time fly.
Research
Research Field Collector - GROW Study (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJuly 14, 2013
Vanderbilt University is a great place to work on research projects.
Stability, Great Benefits, and a noteworthy mission
Analyst/Programmer (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJuly 12, 2013
Pros: great health benefits and vacation, with room for advancement
Cons: promotions and pay increases are scarce in the current economic climate
I have worked in non-profit education for more than 10 years and love the university culture. Vanderbilt is a wonderful institution that cares about its employees and is dedicated to its mission.

The federal budgetary changes have been difficult for the institution, but it is doing its best to maintain its mission while protecting its work force.
great company with a priority for patient care
Registered Nurse- Acute Care (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJuly 10, 2013
Pros: great benefits, employees are valued highly
Cons: very big and hard to navigate at times
As a nurse at Vanderbilt, I feel good coming to work, because I know that I will be treated fairly and my work is valued by the organization. I work with great people, and I love the patient population that I serve. The hardest part of the job is when patients continue to decline despite our greatest efforts. But it is also reassuring that Vanderbilt – more... is always on the cutting edge of technology and discoveries in Medicine. – less
Exciting, fast paced level 1 trauma center with great benefits.
Radiographic Technologist (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJuly 6, 2013
Pros: benefits, accessibility, organization, and a positive work place
Cons: large body of employees that can hinder management communication.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is a nationally ranked level 1 trauma center located in Nashville, TN. A typical day at work you can expect something new, exciting, challenging care with great opportunity for growth in the health care field. Moreover, you will find that the hospital cooperates as a team to meet a common goal- excellent patient – more... care. It was a very fast paced hospital that you must learn to thrive in. Some might find the environment as overwhelming, as the pressure is very intense. An employee should not expect to adjust quickly- it takes time, commitment, and integrity to meet the standards and credo of the hospital. However, as you learn and adjust to the environment you will soon feel an unexplainable feeling of family; a family that reaches to care, comfort, and heal the patients of VUMC. – less
Nice place to work but benefits are lacking, pay for parking.
Pharmacy Technician Advanced (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJuly 3, 2013
Pros: nice facilities, great co-workers.
Cons: short lunch breaks, benefits are lacking, compensation not competitive, pay for parking.
Nice place to work. Love my co-workers and enjoy helping patients and other hospital staff. Benefits are lacking. Little to no opportunities for advancement on 2nd shift.
producion and fun
Research fellow (Current Employee), nashvilleJuly 2, 2013
I am satisfied with my research progress this year. First the entire research environment of Vanderbilt University is excellent. And my lab colleagues are also very nice and helpful. We cooperate very well.
No day was typical which made for an interesting work environment
Research Coordinator, Center for AIDS Research (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJune 29, 2013
Pros: meeting interesting individuals and learning new protocols
Cons: having studies close prior to scheduled end date
My work encompassed managing several studies at once. I could have scheduled new patients, follow-up visits, paperwork or an call from the clinic to talk to a patient (unscheduled). All need to be managed into my work day. I had to work with others in departments around me to make sure my work would not hinder the visit of my patient. Due to the social – more... stigma tied to HIV/AIDS, I learned each patient must be approached on their own personal level of understanding. My co-workers were always beneficial in helping me to understand things I did not know or had not experienced. They made happy when I accomplished something good. The hardest part of the job was seeing a patient not thrive or me lose a patient. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see a patient thrive and patients to understand the importance of research. – less
Good place for work/life balance
Software developer (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJune 28, 2013
Vanderbilt is a great place to work for. People are nice. Benefit package is pretty good.
Organize the flow of daily operations to ensure service priorities are met.
Office Assistant IV (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJune 25, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: not much advancement opportunity
My typical day consists of providing administrative support to management staff. I answer multi-line phones, coordinate projects, track office supplies and refreshements. I also prepare minutes for meetings and calculate employees monthly time generated from KRONOS to make sure the numbers match WALDO reports.
High Paced
Central Appointment Scheduler Lead/ Trainer (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJune 24, 2013
A typical day at work includes sometimes working in a group setting with 7 other reps and other times working alone which depends on the daily assignment in the hospital. I generally come in to work and set up for my patients, prepare ct paperwork, check faxes, check orders, ensure appointments are set correctly and contact doctors' offices when orders – more... are incorrect. I have learned several operating systems, databases and applications including icd9/icd10 along with enhancing my customer service skills. The management team is very receptive and manage from a macro level. The hardest part of the job is seeing sick patients on a daily basis but that is almost the most enjoyable part of the job seeing patients that become healthy throughout their on going treatments. – less
Excellent
Transplant Clinic Office Assistant (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJune 18, 2013
Pros: great tuition program
Cons: no sick time.
Your typical day would consist of answering phones, routing to appropriate staff members. Ordering office supplies, fax, mail, letters to providers, memos and attend montly staff meetings. Other duties can be handled at short notice depending on staff members call out.
Overall Summary
Program Coordinator II/CME Conferences (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJune 14, 2013
Pros: i am fortunate to work with some of the most brilliant and wonderful doctors
Cons: the long hours and late nights sometimes
A typical day would be working on my conference events and follow-up calls, etc. I have learned how to exceed in my profession as a lead Program Coordinator and have knowledge in every aspect of an event both on the regional, national and international level. My co-workers are awesome. Overall great place to work.
Vanderbilt was a great experience
LIBRARY ASSISTANT II (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJune 8, 2013
Pros: working on a college campus
Cons: no enough money
Working on Vanderbilt campus was great. The library was vast and always exciting. My co workers were great people.
Very good benefits
Health Information Specialist II (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJune 7, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: breaks are sometimes shortened
Very enjoyable place to work although my work days can sometimes be overwhelming.
Fun workplace
Research fellow (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJune 3, 2013
Good organization, good benefit, good environment, and kind people
Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Department of BiostatisticsJune 3, 2013
Vanderbilt is a fun place to work and I have learned so much working here. I enjoy so much bioinformatics and computational biology and that causes me to look forward to coming to work. Due to cuts in funding my position is being eliminated as I was the last systems analyst hired.
Great team work and benefits
Certified Nurse Assistant/Medical Receptionist (Current Employee), Nashville, TNMay 28, 2013
Great team work and benefits! I've learned about a variety of diseases and their process. Type of job that something new is learned everyday. Best team work I've ever experienced.

About Vanderbilt University

Vanderbilt University is a private research university located in Nashville, Tennessee, United States. Founded in 1873, the university – Read more