Vanguard Emergency Management Employee Reviews

Logistics failure
Translator (Former Employee) –  Puerto RicoDecember 17, 2017
I was about to start working with this company as an interpreter as a Puerto Rico native. After hurricane Maria I was unemployed and in desperate need of work. Upon signing the contract, I was promised to work in an area near my residence and that was still much work to be done. After waiting nearly 3 weeks to be processed, and wasting gas money on completing the requested finger printing and ID badge. I was assigned Rincon, a municipality at a 3 hour drive distance. Either driving or staying at a hotel is not cost effective and I would be left paying more than I would earn on the job. They require you to provide you're own transportation and were not willing to spend anything on housing. After calling if it was a mistake I was told that no further inspection would be conducted around my region and that there was nothing they could do. If they had at least informed me of the situation before hand, instead of promising work in a reasonable distance, perhaps lodging arrangements could have been made. However I was informed of this 2 days after I was activated to begin work. This is one of the most unprofessional displays I have ever seen in a company; and am aware that several other people that applied on the same day I did were in a similar boat.
Pros
Over time compensated
Cons
Terrible organization
great place to work
Disaster Housing Inspector/FEMA Contractor (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 7, 2017
a great place to work. great people to work with and a good learning experience and a wonderful support staff that loves the people they provide support to.
I loved working for vanguard.
Housing Inspector (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 7, 2017
I would like to work more often for them are even full time employment. I love the travel opportunity. And I also love meeting new people and helping them
Vanguard Emergency
Call Center/Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VA 22601December 6, 2017
Contact inspectors regarding housing inspections, and looking over inspections,
Assistance programs administered by Federal, State, and local governments and volunteer organizations involved in disaster response operations.
Pros
free lunches for about 1 month
Cons
no healthcare and only temporary work
Lousy Management and Horrible Work Environment
Inspector (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 2, 2017
First of all, the training provided to inspectors is abysmal and nearly useless once you get in the field. You get conflicting information constantly and never know who has the correct information. The accounting department takes forever to respond and often provides inaccurate information.

You work in lousy neighborhoods for long hours without proper training. Some of the old timers at the company have an attitude and will talk down to you and act like you are an idiot for asking questions and trying to be thorough.

To top it all off, they still owe me money from 2 months ago.

My advices is stay away.
Pros
independent
Cons
See Review
Independent work day, schedule your day and be meticulous with your time
Disaster Housing Inspector, Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  United StatesNovember 29, 2017
Very slow with initial paperwork but expect immediate return on inspections as it shoud be. Be detailed & timely with expense reports, the reports are scrutinized closely.

It can be a rewarding, tiring and and frustrating job.
Pros
When there is work you're busy
Cons
When there isn't work you're not busy
Contractor
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 24, 2017
I signed on with Vanguard EM as a contractor to assist in areas of natural disasters. I am currently on stand by with the company and awaiting to hopefully secure a full time position with stability and benefits.
Pros
Able to manage my schedule.
Cons
No stability.
Official response from Vanguard Emergency Management
December 11, 2017

Vanguard EM holds a federal contract with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to conduct disaster housing inspections in the aftermath of large-scale disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes, severe storms, wildfires and earthquakes. Upon receipt of notification from FEMA, Vanguard EM deploys disaster inspectors to the declared location to assess and record damages.

To confirm, this is an independent contractor opportunity and there is no employee/employer relationship.

Helping peoples
Inspection (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 22, 2017
On a typical day you get a chance to meet and help a lot of peoples.. The hardest part of the job is driving so much. And going down a lot of dirt road, the enjoyable of the job is helping and meeting new peoples.
Pros
Helping other
Cons
Gone a lot
Poor Management, use caution!
HIS Inspector. (Current Employee) –  Florida, TexasNovember 21, 2017
They rip you off by stealing inspections you completed.

Management and reviewers are intimidated if you have a higher education than them. Then they cannot handle addressing you correctly.

When you supervisor says you were placed on an incorrect cut list which flags you as a garbage inspector who is not helping the people who need FEMA's assistance, yet instead are just there on a vacation. Supervisor states it is clear you have been in fact working. Facts do not matter they still send you home feeling like you are worthless and knowing you worked and did not receive the pay you were promised.

I really prayed about taking this Deployment because I believe in what FEMA does for folks who have suffered losses due to mother nature.

I know Vanguard Emergency Management is getting ready to undergo a new CEO, I only hope some reconstruction happens prior to the next round of disasters.

When you are sent out int he field you are given a list of numbers for review due to the nature of this job, you have to be able to hit the road running at very minimum. At least in the state I have been working in the manager will NOT speak to inspectors, he has his flunkies call inspectors back then they do not know the answer to the issue the inspector is trying to work out, so they have to speak to the manager and call the inspector back. Sad, Sad management.

When you call Vanguard Emergency Management to speak with an administrative person, they will not speak to you but call the field manager to get on to you because you attempted to make a wrong right.

I leave very sadly
  more... due to the uneducated supervisors and reviewers who run this company.

I wish all the disaster victims who are left under Vanguard Emergency Management's HIS contact all the best luck in the world!

If changes are made to the company, I will be available when the next disaster happens. But not under this field management crew.
Pros
Get to help folks who appreciate every little bit of help, or a kind word. They pay is really great.
Cons
Uneducated Field Management, Administration who refuses to take accountability.
Good Temp Work Experience
Contract Inspector (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXNovember 18, 2017
The money is good and your ethic basically determines your earning potential. The harder you work, the more you make. A typical day starts a daylight and you meet with the applicants that you scheduled the night before. A typical inspection takes about 30 minutes if your efficient. After all of your scheduled inspections, you are done for the day. You go back to your hotel and schedule your day for tomorrow. There is very little day to day management as you are an independent contractor. Overall, if you are organized and self motived you can make pretty decent money during a disaster response (approx 4-8 weeks)
Contract work
DIASTER HOUSING INSPECTOR - CONTRACTOR (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 16, 2017
Overall it was a good experience based on what is required. More training is needed for the work and for the "field supervisors". The daily information that is provided to contractors to complete the work must also be the exact same information that the field supervisor provide to the inspectors, which is most cases it is not. If you are a person that needs to have lots of help or consistent feedback this is not the job for you. It is high pace and can be a stressful job.
Pros
Freedom to set times for work within limits
Cons
Lack of training and inconsistent information provided from the field supervisors
Great Job, Seasonal
Disaster Housing Inspector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 15, 2017
They don't embracing workplace diversity no matter how hard you work to show yourself approve. But maybe this is due to the fact that all the males are real license house inspectors and it is by contract... YOU MUST HAVE A CREDIT CARD. (the company will explain if you apply.)
But overall it was a great job, great pay and great travel experience. I just wish it was not seasonal. I think that they should have some inspectors come back and do rework from home.
Pros
Helping People, Pay, Schedule, Perks and per diem.
Cons
Seasonal, Diversity, no Benifits
Changes made frequently
Independent Housing Inspector (Current Employee) –  United StatesNovember 14, 2017
If you want a quick paced, always changing, never a dull moment type of job and want to manage your own work schedule and taxes; this is the option for you.
Pros
well compensated for work completed
Cons
needs better concise instructions coming from upper management that is consistent among all teirs
A great place to work
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 8, 2017
I loved it and hopefully can keep getting called for work. I enjoyed working independently and being able to get to know and help the people who needed assistance.
Pros
Money, work independently
Cons
Sudden release
Travel
Disaster Home Inspector (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 8, 2017
The staff is unorganized, but friendly. I liked the job, but it did not last long enough. I hate the fact that I had to wait almost a month for payment, but it was worth the wait. I like the travel experience and the experience of seeing how others live because it makes you become more grateful. The staff always acted like they did not know anything, every person you talk to will give you different information. I waited around for days before my work was loaded to my tablet and all they could say was be patient, but I enjoyed it and will work with them again because now I know the process.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Unorganized staff, and workload
You manage your time effectively, follow training and you can do well.
Building Inspector (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 4, 2017
Excellent job for those who like to travel, meet people of various backgrounds and realize that it is a full time commitment and that it is temporary based on the disaster.
Pros
You are your own boss, however, to do well you must produce.
Cons
Away from home for extended periods of time.
Work away from home
Disaster Inspector (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAOctober 30, 2017
Rewarding to be able to help others in need after a disaster, but must be good at time management and stressful at times.
Travel and time away from home is required.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Travel, Stressful, poor training
Inspections
Contracted Disaster Housing Inspector (Current Employee) –  Houston TX , FloridaOctober 14, 2017
as a seasoned inspector coming on board with Vanguard seemed strange from day 1, however i understand the rush to get all the inspectors in the field as this is their first REAL job. Things that could drastically improve is manager / field supervisor support. The support system once pushed in the field is really lacking. Also the assignment team needs major overhaul for this company to succeed. Over all i am satisfied to complete the number of inspections i have when the work is assigned.

I believe this year will be a great learning year for the company and push them in the right direction to be prepared for another large storm. They are trying their best to keep up but physically unable to do so
Pros
Pay, Late night Broadcast, good work
Cons
lack of assigned work, contractor support once deployed
Live Out Of State Reimbursed for Good Pay Slight Wrk Load!
Home Inspector (Current Employee) –  Hilton DFW Lakes Conference CenterSeptember 15, 2017
Great Service
Easy Processing
Strict
Time Based
Reimbursments on hotels up to $200 or less A Night!
$59 living reimbursements a day (gas receipts, food reciepts etc.)
Paid $200 a day for attendence!
Pros
Hotel Reimbursemnts up to $200-
Cons
Must have money to survive atleast 2 weeks out of state
No Nonsense Contract Employer. Really Decent Personnel
Housing Services Inspector (Current Employee) –  North Carolina DR 4285January 14, 2017
Went to a recruiting event in New Orleans, last year. Listened to the speaker talk about working for the company. Became immediately interested once I saw what skills were required, and what the the essential jobs duties were.

If you like working on independent assignments, being your own boss, and being outside, and can handle working within strict guidelines, and have a desire to really help your community, then Working for vanguard EM is for you! Get through the FEMA background check, and that's half the battle!. The money is very decent when you're working, especially if you provide you're own work vehicle, and work efficiently with your paperwork, and the applicants.

About the only suggestion I would give to the company, is to invest some money into making the training more interactive with actual feedback from inspectors just coming back from deployment. It would also help lower the training curve is inspectors were allowed to do more realistic inspection simulations before their initial deployment. I'm confident the company will get there in the near future.

Semper Fi!
Pros
Pay & A Sense of Pride for doing something inherently good!
Cons
Getting up, and getting the work done, in remote disaster aftermath work environments

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vanguard Emergency Management. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6