VANTAGE DELUXE WORLD TRAVEL Employee Reviews in United States

Are you a closer?
Sales (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 27, 2016
I'll admit that after reading some of the reviews out there, I was a bit hesitant to sign on with Vantage. I was choosing between this job and a sales management job at another company which I had a connection to through a friend. For me, the deciding factor was the product. Can I get excited about travel every day? Absolutely. I've seen our product and it's truly awesome.

Is Vantage a place where you can come in, put in a couple hours of work in between web and social media browsing sessions and call it a day? No. Will you have everything handed to you and get a raise just for showing up? Definitely not. Is the environment extremely challenging, high-pressure, constantly changing to adapt to the needs of the moment...and will you leave work every day feeling like you just moved several mountains and saved the day? If you can hack it - YES.

The owner gets a bad rap but I like how he thinks. No frills, no fluff - know your numbers, make an action plan and get it done. If you're ok with that expectation and don't take it personally if you make a mistake and someone calls you on it, you'll do very well. If you can roll with the punches, solve problems quickly, and stay focused on the goal, you'll do very well.

It is not for everyone, but if you're an A player you're going to love it.
Pros
Compensation, Product, Coworkers, Owner
Cons
CRM systems need updating, Documentation of Process needs improving
Horrible company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2016
Stay away from this place. The management does not know what they want.
Everyone is confused in this place. Not at all organized . Everything is scattered. Nothing is ever documented and no one to help you out with anything at all.
Good Experience
VP, Database Marketing and Analytics (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 9, 2015
The work itself is interesting and enjoyable. Many of the people are a joy to work with. I learned new software and programming skills. You will definitely get experience working with difficult upper management. While upper management says they are data driven and open with everyone, that really isn't the case as many decisions are made with the gut instead of facts. Very lean staff for all the work demanded.
Pros
interesting work
Cons
no work/life balance
remember save all that money cause you will get layoff.
Travel Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 25, 2015
Great management team lots of good perks that come with the job.
If you don't work great under pressure and not able to multitask is not the place for you, since the CEO is always tapping on your shoulder even when on the phone with a client asking you if you are closing the sales. make sure to keep up with your numbers cause if you don't once again you will get layoff. but over all great compensation I will never see another $10,000 commission check again so make sure you save your money and travel the world with the IATA benefits.
Pros
money
Cons
pressure
I was taught if you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all.
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 4, 2014
I would not recommend this company if you are looking for autonomy; if you like decisions based on actual data versus gut instinct and "30 years of history" this is not the place where you will thrive.
Pros
great industry; lots of potential; many good associates
No comment
Direct Marketing Circulation Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 7, 2013
Day to day was typical for the most part in Marketing. Learned about the travel industry. Management was ok. Co-workers were great and banded together.
Pros
people, location to restaurants & mbta
Cons
revolving door management
Crazy, Crazy, Crazy place to work
Senior Level Marketing (Former Employee) –  BostonSeptember 29, 2013
using the template at the left I will describe some of the details of Vantage Travel.

A typical day at work is psychological torture.. it's a all a game where you can't ever possibly be right.. The owner seemingly learned his management techniques in pimp school.. Show some early love then beat them down and drive down their self esteem so employees start to question themselves.. Every once in awhile buy your stable a meal or give them sports tickets.. But all along they know the beat down is coming if they get out of line... You may think this is exaggeration but well it is not... They've resorted to hiring reputation management firms to put in fake positive reviews...

What I learned: really not too much.. fortunately I was already mid-career so I didn't pick up any bad habits.. I did learn that if you have no conscience and you're completely ruthless you can keep a business running.. probably not a great way to love though..

management - change early and often.. around 5 CFOs in my time there.. (lost count) same could be said for other senior roles.

co-workers - great.. huddled together like children in an abusive family..

the hardest part of the job - showing up every day until I quit..

the most enjoyable part of the job - baiting the big guy into going a little crazier sometimes..
Pros
location
Cons
too many to list...
Workplace-induced panic attacks
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 24, 2013
Vantage was the only place to give me an interview out of the 60 jobs I had applied for in the midst of the recession. I didn't meet with my eventual supervisor in the meeting (she didn't know I was even being interviewed), and I never saw the department or met anyone with whom I'd be working. When I started working, it was a surprise to my coworkers. The lack of communication should have been a red flag.

The job was fine for the first couple of months, then I started seeing the disfunction. We were expected to work more than eight hours a day and/or through lunches to meet impossible deadlines and handle last-minute changes — typical for a production staff, but the changes were often because the CEO "changed his mind" about something he'd instructed us to do earlier. His Vice Presidents were just mouthpieces for him and were really ineffective. The good VPs were out in a few months. Usually the changes weren't based on marketing strategy, but instead were stemmed from his mood that day. The worst of it is that we weren't paid overtime because we were all "exempted" employees, which I contest I wasn't paid enough to be considered exempted. Workers' rights weren't high priority there. I even wanted to settle for comp time to make up for the long hours, but most of that had to happen under the table or in an even more subversive manner — like showing up late to work or ducking out early to take care of yourself, since no one else would. It made honest people and good workers into dishonest slackers.

Any feedback we'd receive from other departments was usually negative, and no
  more... one was using constructive criticism. It was all about who was to blame and throwing people under the bus. A total "every man for himself" atmosphere.

Overtime, the long hours and little positive reinforcement started giving me generalized anxiety, which led to panic attacks. I'd feel my chest tightening the closer my train got to the station near work, and I'd be almost in a full tailspin as I rode the escalator. Going to work was nearly paralyzing after awhile. Not understanding that my physical symptoms were caused by stress, I went through a litany of testing, including having an MRI to rule out MS. This is what Vantage had driven me to...having the doctor suggest I could have an incurable, degenerative disease.

The only thing that kept me from falling off the edge were my direct coworkers. We became soldiers in the trenches, constantly dodging artillery fire. Also, the location of the building allowed for hour-long walks around Boston — the harbor became my zen place during the day.

Eventually, I got out. I moved away because my spouse took a job out of state, and I began to heal. Now, I'm mentally and physically healthy again, thanks to a positive work environment. Two years removed from that place, and I'm back to my old self.

I understand the desperation of needing a job, but if you can avoid it at all, do not take a job here. The only people who appear to be happy are in sales, mainly because they are compensated much better than the rest of the minions, due to commission.
Pros
location, t-pass subsidy
Cons
long hours, poor compensation, hostile environment
Travel Perks are worth it
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 24, 2013
A basic customer service job, you deal with angry customers all day. If you are not prepared or trained for it, it can really stress people out. I've seen a lot of employees that couldn't handle being yelled at.
Pros
location, travel discounts!!, food around the area
Cons
management
Good first Job, Good experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 6, 2013
Good first job to get some experience in the travel industry. Pretty straight forward job. Do what you're told and don't be late.
Pros
location
Cons
managers

Want to know more about VANTAGE DELUXE WORLD TRAVEL?

Ask a question
Horrid, unhealthy environment
Former employee (Former Employee) –  BostonMay 25, 2013
The fact that the positive reviews on here are either forced or fake, reveals the foundation of lies, intimidation, and fear that this company is based on. Trust your gut during the interview - They can't hide the dysfunction. It won't improve (nor can you help it); and you will realize the gravity of your mistake the first week. Sad, but true - It's where professionalism goes to die.
Great Work Environment, plenty of chances to advance, helpful and understanding boss.
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 24, 2013
I have been at Vantage Deluxe for over five years now! It is a great work environment, where coworkers and bosses work together to get the job done right. There are plenty growth opportunities, and a number of bonus and incentive programs! Upper management, especially the CEO will do everything in their power to make sure both the client, and their workers are happy and satisfied. Working for Vantage is a great experience, and there is always a great opportunity for all employees to succeed.
Pros
great work environment, benefits are great, CEO is caring, it's a company that continues to rise, great incentive programs
Cons
The drive into Boston can be a little annoying sometimes.
A great, friendly workplace with numerous opportunities for growth and success
Sales (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 20, 2013
Vantage is a great place to be employed. Everyone I work with is friendly and encourages communication between each other. If you are a hard worker, you have some really awesome opportunities to thrive and excel here. Management is good and everyone is willing to help each other out, especially during the hectic times that every office experiences now and then.
Pros
great location, friendly office and coworkers, growth opportunities, good benefits
Cons
if you do not like to be challenged or be in a fast-pace environement, you will not enjoy working here.
Horrible work environment, Intimidating and verbally abusive CEO
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 20, 2013
Monthly offsite Marketing meetings are a poor disguise for what is actually a 2-day excuse for the CEO/Owner to berate, verbally abuse, embarrass and intimidate staff.

There is no autonomy for staff. The CEO is maniacally convinced no one can do their jobs so he tells everyone they don't know what they're doing.

Ridiculous "inspirational" emails from the CEO only exacerbate the CEO's ramblings and mindlessness.

This is not an employer to learn from. Most staff are merely collecting a paycheck and live in a 9-5 fear of the irrational CEO. Forget any solidarity amongst the employees.
Pros
close proximity to the north station
Cons
the ceo cusses at employees, environment of intimidation, no one to learn anything from
Great people
sales (Former Employee) –  bostonMay 17, 2013
Vantage Was a great place to work. Management is a little to removed from the real workers, but the team of people you deal with day-to-day are all awesome, hardworking and fun to spend your work day with. Casual environment, decent pay. I kind of miss working there.
Pros
people, casual environment, good location
Cons
pa system is annoying
Great place to work and great perks!
Marketing (Current Employee) –  BostonMay 16, 2013
I love the informal work environment, makes it easy to talk to your co-workers and management when you need help or support. Really happy with the health insurance which i desperately needed. But my favorite part of the job is definitely the travel discounts! I love to travel and wouldnt have been able to as much as I have without the awesome Vantage Travel discounts!
Pros
travel discounts, benefits, location, on-site gym!
Cons
can be a little overwhelming at times
Great Work Experience - Great Learning Environment
Sales (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 15, 2013
I really learned a lot at Vantage. I had to move for my family but look all the skills that I learned from upper management to my next Job. I was able to sharpen my skills, set goals and achieve them. I wasn't sure sales was for me till I obtained the right skill set from Vantage. Special thanks to the CEO and Upper Management at Vantage.
Pros
location, benefits, travel!
Cons
high pressure sales - but no more than any other sales job
Great Opportunity to Grow and Build Experience
Sales (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 15, 2013
I worked at Vantage for years after I graduated college in 2008. I went to school in the Boston area and found Vantage through an internship opportunity. Internship went well so I came on full-time after college. I put in 3 hard years of work, saw great growth while I was there and it helped give me the experience to land my current job.

The work environment can be very competitive, but the right people will thrive here. If you can handle it, you will be rewarded with promotions and growth. The bad reviews you see on here about hostile environment and bad management are just the folks that couldn't hang. Don't let them stop you from giving it a shot.
Pros
location, growth, experience
Cons
stressful
Work Ethic Pays off
Sales (Former Employee) –  BostonMay 4, 2013
The usual office environment. The people are great and if you work hard and listen to the managers, you'll succeed. Sometimes workload can be a little overwhelming but there are plenty of people to help you out.
Pros
location, co-workers
benefits
Enjoyably challenging and rewarding place to work
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 26, 2013
Vantage is a great place to work if you are someone that enjoys a fast-pace, challenging and interesting job. You will always be learning and adapting and have the benefit of working somewhere where your hard work is something that others (the clients) can enjoy.
Pros
interesting, friendly environment, rewarding, great staff and management
Cons
if you do not like to be challenged, like to work in a place where there is little change, this is not the place for you

2.8