VANTAGE WEST CREDIT UNION Employee Reviews in United States

unproductive, unprofessional, horrible place to work.
Loan Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 27, 2016
I have to agree with the previous comments on how out of touch this organization is. Their lending practices are for the most part predatory and illegal. Management team needs a reality check.
Worked for a year and the people that I worked with were mostly not great. horrible co-workers, management was below the line and just plain horrible. The entire team is being replaced year after year and there seems to be a common denominator -poor management-have been some good SVPs let go during this time. The managers that you interact with on a daily basis can make things frustrating and annoying at times. They never listen to you, just bark orders and accept it. Very moody and their daily interaction with the team are toxic. All they do during meetings is to gossip and criticize the top management the front of your peers. A lot of people have transferred out of the company due the constant negativity and lack of advancement and just a good work place. The Application review and the lending practices are predatory not to mention illegal.this is team in general is not a good place to work in. Lots of turn over and overall not good. If you really need a job and like getting kicked in the face, then go for it. Otherwise, go somewhere else.
Pros
good 401K plan
Cons
bad benefits, management, coworkers.
Despotism and heavy favoritism
former employee (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 29, 2015
Management consists of bosses who hide in offices - they're not leaders. With little to no actual managerial experience (outside of their current employment), they exhibit very large ego's. All compete for attention and favor, hence management will consistently steal credit for other peoples' hard work. If you're not management, then don't expect adequate compensation - even when you deliver exceptional performance. This is trickle-down, credit-usurping micro-management at it's absolute worst.
Hence, turnover has increased exponentially within the last 5-10 years. Annual performance review hits and job security are both employed as looming motivational threats. There is little to no advancement opportunity, as VWCU prefers to hire people from outside over growing their internal employees' careers.
Every 3-5 years a new corporate motivational program is force-fed to employees, and management uses cheerleader-style motivational tactics.
The best part about VWCU is the Board of Directors matching 401k donations up to 7%. Pay scales are somewhat competitive, but slightly lower than average overall. This modification by HR is intentional. Management however, is paid lavishly.
They do offer an HSA healthcare plan - dental/vision are options.
If you keep your head down, placate the ego of management, and don't desire advancement in career or financial gain, then you may do well here.
Pros
401k matching, decent HSA healthplan
Cons
Terrible management
Not a good company to work for.
TELLER (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 7, 2015
The only thing I liked about working for this company was the people that I worked with and that does not include management. Every co-worker that I worked with did not like working for this company and most have moved on. Management can not be trusted neither can the HR department. There's not a lot of room for promotion as a Teller unless you decide to become a Financial Rep. Honestly this is not a place that I would refer any of my friends or family to work. If you do apply for a job with this company apply for a position at the corporate office.
ok place to work, management does not care about employees
previous mid-level employee at corporate office (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 10, 2015
It's a fine place to work if you don't want to advance. There is definitely favoritism and managers only care about themselves and their annual bonus. They try to have a culture of accountability, but that is a complete joke because sr. leadership does not even practice what they preach. There are people in HR that are currently not qualified for the roles they are in, and there are others that are complete frauds and have been hiding behind the work of colleagues and spinning their web of lies to cover for their own incompetence. This is very ironic since the managers in HR are supposed to lead by example, not be the opposite of honest and trustworthy employees. They pay an outrageously high salary to managers and executives, while the staff that is doing the daily work to keep the place afloat makes barely enough to live on. It is disgusting. They wonder why there is such high turnover, but they are so full of themselves and blind to the truth that they don't realize that the hard working people that keep the business going every day are treated poorly so they quit.
Pros
affordable benefits
Cons
very stressful at times, many managers are incompetent, favortism
Great place to advance
Senior Teller (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 13, 2015
It was a very great place to work!! Loved my co-workers!
The only issue was management, you could clearly see they showed favoritism. They were encouraging to help you make your goals for the month, but if they disliked you then they could care less. They would do anything in their power to get rid of you. But overall, great pay, benefits, paid vacation, and paid holidays was awesome!!!
Pros
benefits, paid holidays, paid vacation, schedule, tuition reimbursement
Cons
management- like high school
Good Place to Work
Internal Auditor (Current Employee) –  Tucson AZApril 24, 2015
Good to place to work, learned a lot about finance and accounting, but not much opportunity to advance. Also, I feel the leadership is out of sync with its employees.
Great place to work.
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  tucson azJanuary 12, 2015
My experience of working at the branch has been great. My co-workers are friendly and always happy to help. No micro-management as long as you do your work and keep up with your goals.
Competitive place to work
Member Information Center (MIC) Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 5, 2015
Exceptional training and development program. Cross between a bank and a credit union. Moving toward a big bank philosophy.
Pros
excellent employee matched 401k, and great employee benifits
Cons
no breaks
Outstanding Culture of Accountability
AVP Learning & Development (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 4, 2015
Vantage West CU is consistently rated "Best in Class" for employee engagement. The outstanding culture of accountability promotes alignment, open communication, teamwork, and ownership of results. Great place to work!
Working culture full of change and growth
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 2, 2014
Managers are given full responsibility for daily branch operations. Staff is interviewed and hired by managers and assistant managers. They are evaluated monthly, quarterly and given an annual evaluation for promotions and pay increases. Each branch is graded on monthly, quarterly and annual growth. Managers assist in continual training in promoting products and services during working hours to help each employee develop the skills and experience needed in everyday situations. The manager is involved with all aspects of the live working branch. Security, supplies, branch outlook, and company culture are a few of the daily jobs associated with every day work.
Growth in the financial business and for our member's financial security was always top priority with Vantage West. The company was always evolving and upgrading in keeping aligned with new financial trends. I will always be grateful to have worked with good employers in a great company.
Pros
good benefits and good on-going training ability
Cons
smaller branches were expected to take more risks
Good place to work, local company with great community involvement
Senior HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 11, 2014
Good company to work for. They have taken a lot of time to create a culture of accountability.
Pros
community involvement, several locations
Cons
promotions
Great Place with an emphasis on Culture of Accountability
Teller (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 30, 2013
I was a teller here. I would say if you got a great manager, your branch should flow smoothly. I know that for a fact my managers were pretty flexible and also it's important to communicate your needs and anything that has to be reviewed whether it's working with member accounts, or your own personal needs. The place here does make it important to promote a company culture so we can motivate ourselves in the morning and also be excited to help our members. It's really the attitude you bring to the plate each morning, so which are you going to choose? We had member service training classes that emphasize on customer service. It's to help everyone and it's good to recap, as well as review what we can improve and continue to work on.
Pros
we get awarded when we go beyond expectation (as a branch)
Cons
sometimes it's hard to reach back office to get questions answered when we needed it.
Very good workplace
Teller (Current Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZJuly 13, 2013
protection of bullet proof glass makes it feel like a more secure bank place to work. The life of a credit union is better than banks.
A thoroughly great company
Teller (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZApril 27, 2013
As a teller at Vantage West, you are the face of the company. You are expected to minimize company loss, and providing exceptional service and sales in order to achieve company goals.
Pros
great work environment, great benefits, room for advancement