Varian Medical Systems Employee Reviews

Excellent Place to work
Global Administrator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 2, 2017
Working for Varian was the best job I have ever had. People are amazing. Pay is great. Traveling and being able to work with all sorts of different people was amazing. I was let go due to downsizing of the company
Pros
Pay, Environment, People
Fun work place
EVENT PLANNER (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 20, 2017
Great environment. Active, fun, and friendly people. I was able to meet many of the employees and watch them compete in a Summer Olympics that I planned.
Working with a product that improves the lives of our customers
Document Control Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 18, 2017
A typical day is ensuring documentation is correct for product build. The documentation in our company is always changing and we as documentation coordinators need to ensure all wording, redlines are captured so our manufacturing team can understand and build per process.
I have learned to be very diligent in reviewing documents. To question and never assume that what is on paper is different when you interpret. Our Management team is our "go to" when we need to resolve matters and to clarify misunderstandings.
My co-workers are the best, we are constantly in training mode to gain a better understanding of our process and we gain more experience due to the personality and and attitude of each personnel who has more to offer.
Hardest part is to step back for a moment to see why it's not working, by stepping back you see a bigger picture of the problem and better way to resolve the issue.
Most enjoyable is to know that I put a part of making lives, customer lives matter on the machine we produce.
Pros
pays school tution, start time is flexible
Cons
short breaks
Great Place to Work
Mechanical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 10, 2017
Great place to work and friendly people to work with. Had a wonderfully time working the projects that were assigned to me.
Great company culture
Internal Auditing Intern (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 21, 2016
Typically worked with senior internal auditors to perform risk assessment on company test plans.
This included pulling evidence/data, analyzing, assessing test steps, and rolling forward work papers.

Very fun, positive co-workers. Great work environment!
Pros
good work environment, on campus cafeteria
Cons
traffic
Could be great.
Former Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 28, 2016
This would have been a great workplace. Instead it was slowly devolved into a siloed, unproductive control-zone.

Mangers there would be better served by actually talking with their employees and providing them with constructive feedback. It is not easy to do your work when you are not giving good training and/or direction.

Stop walking around like you are all-powerful and righteous. A little humility goes a long way.
Dynamic workplace
Sales Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 14, 2016
Analytical thinking is key as a Sales Operations Specialist at Varian Medical Systems. Supporting multiple field reps and fulfilling ad hoc requests makes for an different day every day.
It's ok
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 17, 2016
There is not much I can say about this company. The work that I did there was very cut and dry as a typical sales job. I am looking for other opportunities.
Great Company
Sr. Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 20, 2015
Varian is a great place to work. Great group of people, fun and exciting projects working with the latest technology. Management was helpful and engaging.
Poor alocation of talent
Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 11, 2015
I am a Chemical Engineer and they wouldn't let me do anything higher up than production work. Usually involved tube tests. The hardest thing was trying to get them to change the culture of procrastination for getting product out.
Varian is a good company to work for
MANUFACTURING CHEMICAL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtNovember 7, 2015
Varian Medical Systems is a good company to work for. Varian Medical Systems offers great benefits. Varian Medical Systems has pioneered developments in the fields of radiotherapy and X-ray technology.
Fast Pace and high pressure
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 1, 2015
Every employees focus was the costumers needs. Biggest focus point is how many X-ray tubes can we build to fill the sales. There is a high pressure to make a perfect X-ray tube that will work in field. Management really only over saw customer satisfaction. Technicians were operators that knew the why's and how's of our systems and could help us troubleshoot when they were needed.

The heart of the company is the operators. We were trained in as many processes as the individual could handle.

There were three shifts. Day 7:45am-4:15pm Swing 3:30pm-11:00pm and Graveyard 10:30pm-7:00 am
Pros
Great Benefits eye dental and healthcare
Cons
not a lot of room for growth
Very stimulating R&D job
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire, ILNovember 1, 2015
The technical aspects of the company are the most attractive features of working here.

The management and their business decisions are often sensible if a bit reactionary.
Pros
Great team of R&D colleagues
Cons
Slow advancement and somewhat low compensation for work contribution
Sr. Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 21, 2015
Went in early to update spreadsheets to let coworkers what needed to be done for the day. Assemble various items for the next area. Co-workers are good to work with. Constantly learning what needed to go into new product. Hardest part was extremely heavy item needed to assemble, the most enjoyable were the people.
Pros
Adjustable hours if needed
Cons
no problems
Challenging environment
Desktop Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 20, 2015
Plenty of work and opportunity to get involved. Expectations are high so there is no risk of boredom and there is constant change which adds to the excitement.
Exciting place make a real impact on oncology
Manager of Professional Services Interoperability (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 16, 2015
Incredibly exciting opportunities at a very impactful oncology company. Offering jobs that touch the clinic, work with all the major hospitals around the world, starting new businesses. A very successful company with a long history that continues to innovate.
Pros
exciting work that let's you grow
Cons
limited opportunities for upward mobility
fun place to work with supportive management
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYSeptember 17, 2015
decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. fun work place with supportive management.
Not the company it used to be
District Manager - Radiation Linear Accelerators (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 30, 2015
many changes and employees in sales are expected to work 60+ hrs per week and many weekends. Inconsistent information is passed on to customers and sales.
Pros
high compensation
Cons
60+ hr work week and lots of weekends
great place to work!
Clinical Linear Accelerator Technician (Current Employee) –  palo alto, caAugust 14, 2015
Its a very relaxing environment, get your job done and leave with no worries. I work the night shifts, it can get difficult because of the schedule but overall this place is great.
Test Technician
Testing Technician Manufacturing (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahJuly 10, 2015
I've been here 8 months and so far pretty good. School rebrusm of 7500.00 a year, quarterly bonus is base on quality, great lunch room with hot cocoa and tea, pretty good co-workers to be around, Salt Lake City location is adding to the building for expansion of future jobs, on the flat panel side.

Insurance is still fair rate of having UHC for family of 248 a month, 90/10 coverage or Select Med.

Okay wage for what you have to do at Varian but needs to be dollar or two more because you are dealing with expensive xray tubes.
They have a lot of other benefits packages, 401k 6% match, with in 30 days or less you have insurance because you need to do the enrollment process.

Enjoy going to work and gain experience in x-ray tubes and hope to move up the ladder in one year.

Okay work environment, just depends which department you are in. One area can be quieter or the other one can me more fans running. One area has to be very clean and static free.
Pros
Quarterly Bonus, pretty good benefits UHC or Select Med, Free Hot cocoa or Tea and company party
Cons
Slow months in the early summer time to 32 hrs, Management needs to improve their department standardize & reward the employees better.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Varian Medical Systems. Our community is ready to answer.