Varian Medical Systems Employee Reviews

My skills below were not enabled.
Business Operations Mgr (Former Employee) –  MariettaApril 25, 2013
Innovative professional leader with comprehensive US/Global experience in Finance, Operations, Accounting and Mgmt. Experience supporting various U.S. industries; Communications, Distribution, Industrial, Federal & Financial Services. Recognized for measurable positive results in process restructuring, pioneering productivity tools and systems, centralizing overseas job functions, enhancing profitability and revenue growth, reducing overhead cost. Analytical with solid communication, negotiation, leadership talents and unique ability to synergize teams increasing productivity to drive corporate goals.
•Project Management: Plan/execute large-scale projects, process improvements leading collaborative efforts with regional and global partners. Define project guidelines/goals to foster top-notch productivity. Promote project ownership to align with corporate vision.
•Business Analysis: Provide insight to developing and driving internal business strategies to impact revenue and profit contributions. Talented in streamlining processes and improving audit controls. Recognized as expert in matters regarding accounts receivable, revenue and profit analysis, sales plan measurements, and internal business controls. Facilitated, supervised and practiced Sarbanes Oxley methodologies.
•Team Building/Leadership: ability to develop/ lead top-performing staff. Utilize strong oral/written communication skills. Effectively motivate cross-functional teams to create synergy. Demonstrate excellence as trainer, coach/mentor leveraging highly effective performance measurement tools and expertise in
  more... HR and admin.
•Key Strengths: Implement finely tuned analytical, accounting/business management skills. Dedication to defining/achieving corporate goals. Provide expertise and value-add analysis on revenue/profit, financial forecasting, gap analysis. Provide proactive, timely, accurate, and professional support. Maintain exceptional rate of productivity, accuracy, efficiency.

Specialties:Mentoring, Coaching , Training, Financial Performance reporting, Measurements Analysis, Administer growth strategies, salary, promotion and recognition. Strive to create synergy, leverage participatory management style to support team contributions, innovation and brainstorming. Leadership to promote a positive, high-performance climate. Foster teamwork and collaboration among staff spanning multiple locations, cultures and geographies
Pros
medical device company
Cons
inability to people manage appropriately - little hr support
Test Technician
Testing Technician Manufacturing (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahJuly 10, 2015
I've been here 8 months and so far pretty good. School rebrusm of 7500.00 a year, quarterly bonus is base on quality, great lunch room with hot cocoa and tea, pretty good co-workers to be around, Salt Lake City location is adding to the building for expansion of future jobs, on the flat panel side.

Insurance is still fair rate of having UHC for family of 248 a month, 90/10 coverage or Select Med.

Okay wage for what you have to do at Varian but needs to be dollar or two more because you are dealing with expensive xray tubes.
They have a lot of other benefits packages, 401k 6% match, with in 30 days or less you have insurance because you need to do the enrollment process.

Enjoy going to work and gain experience in x-ray tubes and hope to move up the ladder in one year.

Okay work environment, just depends which department you are in. One area can be quieter or the other one can me more fans running. One area has to be very clean and static free.
Pros
Quarterly Bonus, pretty good benefits UHC or Select Med, Free Hot cocoa or Tea and company party
Cons
Slow months in the early summer time to 32 hrs, Management needs to improve their department standardize & reward the employees better.
Horrible inexperienced managers and egotistical co-workers
Field Service Engineer, Radiation Oncology (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2012
This job is good for a 20+ year experienced, old, single, white male. No other people will be accapeted into the culture in the Chicago. In the past 10 years, 12 to 14 different people have been in the FSE position, none made it past 2 years working for Varian in Chicago. This is due to the "good ol boy" network of engineers and at the time of my emplyoment, management (who got fired shortly after I left).

If you have a family, this job isn't for you. A wife or girlfriend, this job isn't for you (unless she doesn't mind ever seeing you), and if you have kids, this job is especially not for you. You will be gone all the time, lots of weekends, and night work (start at 4pm).

Very selfless job, the customers will eat you alive. they are brash, disrespectful, and will not cooperate due to the lack of service in the area. Chicago is reffered to as the "shark tank" for Varian engineers, good luck!!
Pros
great company outside of chicago. good facilities and benefits
Cons
poor teamwork, unhappy, uncooperative customers, no work life balance
Professional Work Environment with talented co-workers
Supplier Quality Engineer/Lead Calibration Coord. (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 7, 2015
Varian Medical Systems was a very professional place to work. The employees that I worked with were very knowledgeable in the tasks that they were assigned to and work together to get the job done right. Quality of work, safety of the employees and education were high on the list of importance. As employees, we were always encouraged to gain higher education and knowledge within our positions to be the best in our industry.

Quality/Regulatory Management was not involved much with the Supplier Quality group, as this group was segregated from he rest of the Quality/Regulatory Department. There was not much communication between Supplier Quality Engineers and Management, which became an issue when questions and problems with suppliers arose. If supplier/vendor issues arose, Quality Management would make decisions on these issues with little understanding of the big picture. These issues were being worked on to improve this situation.

Overall, the company has very good communication and is continuously improving on their "old school" ways.
Pros
benefits program (401k, employee stock purchase plan, healthcare...), product development, market share
Cons
quality/regulatory management
Intense work envrironment with flat reporting structure
Marketing Manager, Delivery Systems (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 20, 2014
Varians product lines are very technical which often requires that engineers and physicists get involved in the development of marketing concepts. This often made the job of Marketing quite challenging. Finding the right balance with Marketing, Engineering, Legal and Regulatory required strong diplomatic management skills and was often a long term process. Knowing how to present a marketing program, who to target and when, worked well for me.

This company is NOT ideal for someone with a marketing flair. Many engineers feel that if a product is a "good product", marketing should not be necessary. This can make for a very frustrating set of circumstances if you are not equipped in the art of diplomacy and patience. I have been with the company 10 years so I feel I firmly established the trust that enabled me to move forward with many of the programs I developed and implemented.
Pros
able launch a successful series of educational programs with little oversight.
Cons
flat organization with little opportunity for advancing.
A wonderful company whose IT senior management made (IMO) some bad decisions.
Global IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Beijing, China and Palo Alto, CAJune 24, 2013
An excellent company from an investment perspective but from an IT empolyment perspective a far cry now compared to the 90"s and early 00's. I learned almost everything I know while employed there for 19 years and would still be there if the old senior IT management team was still in place. The co-workers were great until senior management changed and started letting people go that had been excellent and loyal employees for many years and replaced them with their friends. The hardest part of the job was dealing with people who did not value the contributions of their team and worked to pit team members against each other. The most enjoyable part of the job was always the ability to have intelligent conversations and debates with peers and at the end of the day walk away with consensus and go play soccer and have a beer.
First chance at travel
Varis Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CAOctober 8, 2014
I came to Varian by way of a newspaper ad. I learned during the interview process that Varian was a company producing cancer treatment machines and software to direct the cancer treatment process. I would become part of a small team the visited cancer treatment facilities and installed/upgraded/repaired the software portion of the process.

I worked with 6 of the greatest men I have ever met. Through the training process they helped me acquire the skills need to fly/drive to a center, diagnose the problem, and facilitate a solution in a very small time window. They built my confidence to implement the best, fastest, and most correct method to get a center back up and running.

I loved the team meetings and getting to know a diverse and dedicated group of computer professionals. We took time to support each other.
Pros
travel, new places, new challenges, and wonderful people.
Cons
a few long stretches away from home.
Great job but pay opportunities stop around 40,000.
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Salt lake city UtJune 28, 2015
I started on the ground and worked there for two years. I spent a lot of time working and taking optional training. I learned all of the areas in my department and could fill in for any other operator that either called in sick or went on vacation. I was the only person that knew every ones job but the tech's, unfortunately during the time i had worked there budgets were "tight" and raises were only given to people with seniority. where i come from the more a person knows the more there worth and definitely worked my tail off there and was not rewarded in the slightest. The people were very friendly and nice that worked there and the building and facilities are very comfortable but your just a number and every one is easily replaced.
Pros
Had a gym, quarterly bonus's, plenty of overtime, paid time off.
Cons
unrealistic quota, raises are based on a yearly time scale not on marret
Vary clean work environment with good machines to work with
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 7, 2015
I worked for this employer longer than any other. The job security was very good, but trying to advance your skills as a machinist in this place was next to impossible. Showing interest in learning a new skill, or how to run another machine was viewed as a threat by both co-workers and lower management. Politics were rife in this company. I had many friends here, but unfortunately, I made many enemies as well. If you didn't belong to one of the many click's it was easy to become a scapegoat for one or many of the constant problems that were going on in the shop.
I loved the vacation time and other benefits this company offered. This was one of the most relaxed paced places I have ever worked in. Unfortunately the politics overshadowed most attributes of this job.
Pros
Outstanding benefits
Cons
Politics were horrible
Showing up to work!
Desktop Support Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Palo AltoSeptember 2, 2014
I will typically respond to emails from the night before then check our inicident ticketing system in order to organize the ticket queue. I will then contact clients and begin the process to set up either deskside assistance or remote troubleshooting. Once the tickets are under control, I will move onto to one of the many projects we have going such as encryption upgrade or upgrading systems to the current standard. This has been a great place to learn a diverse set of skills to troubleshoot and resolve a wide array of issues. They have also given me good practice at mantaining, managing and auditing AD servers as well as other software administration servers we work with.
Pros
endless learning
Cons
managment
productive hard working love to have fun while work keeping the vibe upbeat.
Material Handler / Dispatch driver bobtail (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 3, 2015
my typical day starts with me arriveing alittle early. taking a look at what need to be accomplished first and get into that work vibe that i strive for. I take great pride in getting the job done and helping our department be the best it can be. \Im a team players i work well with others. I don't find any part of the job being the hardest there are just sometime your not having the best day. i don't find work to be hard. My most enjoyable part of the job is knowing to we got everything done in a timely manner, and done right.
Pros
great work evirorment
Cons
driving into work on saturdays when i lived in the central valley to work 4 hrs
Fast Pace and high pressure
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 1, 2015
Every employees focus was the costumers needs. Biggest focus point is how many X-ray tubes can we build to fill the sales. There is a high pressure to make a perfect X-ray tube that will work in field. Management really only over saw customer satisfaction. Technicians were operators that knew the why's and how's of our systems and could help us troubleshoot when they were needed.

The heart of the company is the operators. We were trained in as many processes as the individual could handle.

There were three shifts. Day 7:45am-4:15pm Swing 3:30pm-11:00pm and Graveyard 10:30pm-7:00 am
Pros
Great Benefits eye dental and healthcare
Cons
not a lot of room for growth
Systems Specialist, Installation Service Engineer
Systems Specialist, Installation Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 5, 2013
 Created and managed multiple product installation and service plans from initiation to final acceptance with physicists, therapists, medical oncologists and department administrators.
 Installed, serviced and maintained optical guidance systems for stereotactic cancer treatment.
 Routinely served as interim Lead Project Manager for North American optical guidance installations and service.
 Instructed optical guidance pilot educational training course for service engineers and Varian Education Department instructors.
 Participated in the development of technical evaluations, investigations and designs in support of assigned projects for immediate and future implementation.
 Provided manufacturing design support and feedback for continual product improvement.
 Demonstrated product application and software features to customers.
 Served as product representative for technical and clinical applications support to customers and colleagues.
Pros
working with top-of-the-line technology, close knit group
Cons
excessive travel, minimal advancement etc.
NA
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 10, 2013
Day start with scrum stand up for 15 mins. Every team member briefs about the achievement done on previous day , plan for the day and any impediments will be discussed.

Opportunity to analyze the entire application code flaws, design issues using code analysis tool which gave enough time for me to understand the design and fixing the flaws at the same time. This resulted in better code quality.

Managment keeps the team updated about organizations change updated and are approachble.
Team members are very co operative, fun loving and enjoy day today activities. Apart from regular work everyone works on side project of their interest which keeps us motivated.
Pros
good working environment, free fitness classes
Cons
na
Good environment to start a career in
Control Room Tech (Current Employee) –  Salt lake cityNovember 5, 2014
Varian is a really great place to get started in a future career. However the management is a little too judgmental if you are the specific religion or race they are wanting.
On a day to day bases I answer calls, let people in and out of the facility, I answer alarms, occasionally act as the 911 operator in the instance of a emergency.

Hardest part of the job is sitting in an office, alone and not doing much, for 12 hours.

Most enjoyable part of the job is answering emergency calls when they do come in. Gets your heart racing!
Pros
bonuses, good benefits, great healthcare
Cons
long hours, judgmental, cafeteria closed during my shift
good work environment
re worker (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 22, 2013
I would start by getting the parts needed for the job i was to get done replace the parts and send it to QC for inspection then move on to the next job. The management was pretty good and the co-workers were okay some of them were really good but most were just there for a pay check. And i would have to say the hardest part of the job was doing 9 jobs to everyone eases 1 for the same pay got a little irritating at times. And the hardest part of the the job was trying to keep the parts form one job separate for the others when they kept putting everything at my work station and i enjoyed feeling satisfied when everything worked perfect
Pros
being able to stay busy
Cons
little pay for the amount of work being done
Excellent workplace and coworkers
Test Technician A (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 27, 2013
I loved being a Test Technician A. I was well suited to the job and the pay was sufficient for a new life in a new place. The second shift hours were great and I was able to enjoy my daily life. My coworkers and supervisor was very supportive in getting me comfortable with my introduction into a professional electronics position. I have learned alot at the company. The emphasis that the detail of the work is more important than the speed of production of the product, so I was able to work on the machine at my own pace. Unfortunately, I was employed with Varian Medical Systems for a short period of time due to my family decisions that I had to make at that time, and relocated back to Arizona.
Pros
great coworkers and supervisor, great benefits, excellent location
Very busy from start to finish.
Material Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NevadaMay 2, 2012
The day starts with doing the large international shipments. If those get done then I help out recieving or domestic shipping. Always something to do. There's always someone that needs a hand. The warehouse management is always on top of things. The management from other departments we sometimes clash with. Everyone in the warehouse gets along and actually spends time together outside of work. Toughest part of the job is that it gets busier as the day progresses. The good thing about Varian is that you always will have a job.
Pros
bonuses at christmas
Cons
winter time in the warehouse is freezing
Production Operator III (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 1, 2015
Company needs to provide management training for their managers and team leaders and offer advancement opportunities for employees. Benefits are awesome, overtime is required often which is nice if you need extra cash, but it can throw off your work/life balance. Job security is there, but advancement is not (without a college degree.). They are growing and under new management and they say they will address the lack of advancement opportunities available to the average blue collar worker. Time will tell.
Pros
onsite gym, caffeteria, vision, dental, healthcare, tuition reimburesment
Cons
almost no opportunity for advancement without a degree
old-school company
LMS Lead/Internal Learning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CaliforniaMarch 29, 2014
Varian is one of the Silicon Valley's earliest technology companies. Many employees have been there for 15 years or more. Naturally, most of management are old timers. As a result, the company is change- and risk-resistant and management is hierarchical.

I have focused most of my time at Varian on driving quality system training to be more effective and risk-based. The existing regime is geared almost exclusively to creating training records for auditors rather than promoting quality behavior.
Pros
stabliity, ability to work from home
Cons
change- and risk-resistant, unimaginative management