Variety Wholesalers

Variety Wholesalers Employee Reviews

Productive place to work
Planogram Specialist (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NCJune 28, 2015
A productive place to work offering job security, however, there was no room for advancement opportunities. The benefits offered were poor.
Advancement
Cash office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, DEJune 25, 2015
Even if you have worked there for years, it is hard to advance to a management position. It can be a fun working place. Most employees get along with each other and help out when needed. Retail for the most part is a hard job.
Pros
Most employees are friendly
Cons
Turnover rate
Great place work, Fun Enviroment
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJune 23, 2015
This was a part time job for supplemental income the benefits there was none, pay was not that good. Enjoyed my customer enternal, and external.
Pros
Customer Service
Cons
short hours
Ok job if you are just passing through. Not a choice for a career.
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 24, 2015
The hardest part of the job is the job. Employees quit or are fired consistently, which makes a simple job hard. Do not depend on this salary to raise a family.
Pros
Economical prices
Cons
Low Pay, 30 minutes lunch break, Poor Management
although the pay is low and the hours are long--I love my people at Variety.
Merchandise Distribution Associate (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NCApril 30, 2015
Working at Variety Wholesalers is challenging. I enjoy my job because of the challenge: which is to make standards. My co workers are the best, they encourage one another and they help each other. I have found the people in management to be just as friendly but they expect the best from the workers.
Pros
excellent co workers
Cons
pay rate is to low
Very stressful, lack of management involvement with employees. High turnover rate.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TennesseeApril 22, 2015
From my experience working for this company, I've learned one of the most valuable characteristics a person can have, humility.
Pros
Interaction with customers was always fun. Met great people! Great prices on products.
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, Little pay, No incentives for employees, High Turnover
To Demanding
Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 12, 2015
My day consist of doing the same thing everyday. I deal with customers, manage personnel, and try to get the management task done in a timely manner. The only bright spot of the job is taking care of the customers.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Everything else
i learned a lot
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAApril 2, 2015
I loved the fact that i got to learn so much about how the daily and surrounding area newspaper is put together for delivery, to drive a forklift for the first time was a exciting but scary option
Pros
location
Cons
hours
Alot of really nice people who worked there
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Walkertown, NCMarch 12, 2015
Alot of hours for a low salary if your an Assistant MGR. Not alot of room for advancement since all the Store MGR have been there for over 10 years.
Evil
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 5, 2015
This company is stuck in the stone age. From it's technology to how it values people it is an archaic nightmare. Do not go to work for this company!
Cons
everything
Very Selfish And Racist Place
Customer Care Rep (Current Employee) –  Coushatta, LAJanuary 10, 2015
This Would Not Be A Place That I Recommend Someone To If They Dont Change Some Things. There's Alot Of Internal Theft Going On With The Managers and Some daily Customers. They Need Some Managers Who's Gonna Work and Not Stay In The Office All Day Long!!!!! There's This One Manager there and all she does is walk around constantly calling you to do this and that when she can do it! Ex: I was working a specific area and she calls me to pick one item up off the flloor.
Cons
benefits, insurance
Not a career for me
Administrative Assistnat (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NCNovember 30, 2014
I have been there for a short time but I have been there long enough to know this isn't for me. They don't reward anybody with real pay. There is no overtime. The insurance is high, like $300 a month. I'd rather pay out of pocket for my annual appointment. The raise is .25 per year. The job is easy, too easy for me and there is no real responsibility until they need someone to point the finger at. I'm not planning to stay here much longer than I already have. Co-workers are good people, a bit gossipy but that's everywhere you go. I've learned nothing here and staying here would only turn my brain to mush. A job a monkey could do.
Pros
easy
Cons
too easy, low pay, 30 minute lunch breaks, benefits
customer service
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 22, 2014
Manage front line
Learned about time management
Ability to cope with diverse culture
Listening skills
Enjoying talking with customers and listening to their variety of life stories.
I love going to a place where my customers are top priority and they are happy.
Customer Service Manager (CSM) (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAAugust 19, 2014
I love working with my coworkers and I definitely love my customers. It is just that the position I am in now there is no stability in it so I am trying to advance my skills somewhere else.
Pros
customers
benefits
a friendly place to work.
Store manager (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NCAugust 17, 2014
a very busy start and finish of everyday.I have learned how to run a store with a good inventory and a good team.Our district manager communicates with us on a daily basis.my co workers go above and beyond whats required of them.The hardest part of my job is the two hour it takes me to get there everyday and back home. My favorite part of my job is helping customers and taking to them.
Pros
a weeks paid vacation
Cons
no healthcare offered for my family.
Central Ohio..... keep looking
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus OhioJuly 10, 2014
The working expectations are appropriate. It is a discount retailer, and runs with a very thin staff. Part time employees should expect to be treated as completely disposable. Very little investment is put into personal development by the store/district leaders.
Retention of top talent is at the bottom of the priorities.

As a manager, expect to be shuffled between multiple stores to clean up messes and put bandaids on problems. The problems are never fully addressed and it is a constant cycle of fix it....get real bad....fix it....get real bad
Pros
extremely simple job.
Cons
very poor compensation. part time is minimum wage, keyholders, under $9.00/hr, assistant managers, under $30, 000, store managers $45, 000.
customer service, processing freight, supervised employees
former assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Roanoke,VAJune 26, 2014
This is not a good company to work for. The pay is low. They work you too hard. You never have enough help.
Pros
i liked some of the clothing and products.
Cons
rude customers, low pay, lots of shoplifters
Wouldn't recommend
Store mgr (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro vaMay 31, 2014
Not a very good company to work for low pay even for management as a former store manager I know I was getting screwed in the pay area it seems they don't care about their people just worried about getting stuff done they Micro manage everything
workplace
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NCMay 13, 2014
i learned how to pick and also i learned how to work with computers management was okay just alot of favor and also not treating everybody the same my co-workers was nice but some time they have there days the hardest part about the job was production we had to pick 175 picks a hr the most enjoyable part the job was learning how to pick
Pros
free lunch
Cons
shortbreaks
Challenging and creative company to work for.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAMay 6, 2014
My typical day would vary based upon freight deliveries and shipments, projected sales, hiring, training and supervising of associates.
Pros
creative challenges.
Cons
not much room for advancement.