Varipoint Employee Reviews

SCAM - STAY AWAY
Account Manager (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: nothing.
Cons: everything. work is horrible, management isnt even there, you will never get paid!!! beware!!!
EVERYONE SEEMS REALLY NICE UNTIL YOU ARE DONE WITH YOUR FIRST WEEK. THEN REALITY HITS. IT IS A SCAM. YOU WILL PAY YOUR OWN MONEY TO DRIVE OTHER PEOPLE AROUND AND THEN YOU WILL WAIT 4 WEEKS BEFORE ANY KIND OF PAYCHECK. YOUR PAYCHECK WILL NEVER BE RIGHT. THEY STEAL YOUR MONEY AND THEN TELL YOU IT IS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD. LIES. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!
Pyramid Scheme, no life outside work, and very little hope
Corporate Trainer/ Account Manager (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 26, 2013
Pros: team nights, don't go in till work till 11am
Cons: 80 hour work weeks, commission based, pyramid scheme, dangerous at times
I took this job right out of college for my first entry level job. I was excited because everyone seemed really nice, and the opportunities seemed endless. You go out with your co -workers all the time, so in some respects it's still like college. The problem is when you actually get to the work itself.

It's a pyramid scheme...you get promoted based on how many people are on your team, and how much money they make going DOOR TO DOOR selling Verizon Fios. You work 6 days a week, typically 80 hours a week and it's a purely commission based job, so you get paid only by what you sell. You go Door to Door every day no matter how cold or hot it is, and you go to some of the scariest neighborhoods in Pittsburgh. It's not the most comfortable thing to do walking around with a shiny labtop in section 8 houses by yourself at 8:00 at night.

For some people, clearly it worked because they opened up their own offices. But at the end of the day, there were more people who failed then succeeded. And the ones who did open their own offices, look at all the terrible work they had to do to get there. SO not worth it. Since working there, I've had several interviews with companies who have heard of the bad reputation of this company, including one College Recruiter with a large Pittsburgh based Fortune 500 company who said that certain colleges are banning them from recruiting off their campus because they know what a scam it is. This is also affiliated with the company MMI down in southside if any of you have heard about them..they're even worse.

If you like to party, not know what your pay checks will be since they vary week to week, walk around for 6 hours a day going to strange peoples doors, work 80+ hours a week 6 days a week...then this company is for you.

If not, I'd stay as far away as possible.
Wonderful people environment
Leader/ Sales Representative (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 24, 2013
Pros: edcuational experiences
Cons: pressure in sales
A typical day at work was always a very fun and educational day. I learned about time management, top 15 fortune companies, how to incorporate daily experiences during life experiences,as well as buisness educational experiences, I also learned about the value of bringing life time customers to the top 15 fortune company in which we worked for. My co-workers were very nice and respectful, the hardest part of the job for me was blending my bubbly personality into my sales , the most enjoyable part of this job would be the learning experiences as well as the personal relationships that were grown in my time being there.
It's MLM, which is about as close to a legal pyramid scam as you can get.
Leadership (Former Employee), PittsburghMay 30, 2013
Pros: fun coworkers
Cons: working 60-80 hours a week with little compensation, being misled about the job, told to fake a good appearance so you can draw more people into the same situation
So this company is just pretty much two ICLs of Cydcor, which if you look up will pretty tell you about all sort of these offices that are up and running around and misleading the desperate people trying to find a decent job.

In theory it sounds nice, and the people there are very charismatic, but unless you are really good at selling (or convincing the elderly that they need internet even though they don't have a computer) and feel morally alright stringing along the people that join after you (through as many lies as it takes), you'll likely end up in debt and wasting your time.
Sort of a cult, but hey at least your coworkers are fun, right?
Corporate Trainer/Leadership (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMay 27, 2013
Pros: company culture, coworkers
Cons: management, no free time, cult like mentality
So in overview, its Door2Door sales for Verizon FIOS services--Phone/Internet/TV, for all of you that aren't familar. Your training will consist of a day or two of traveling to houses and observing and learning the pitch that you give. The next few days you pitch on your own with someone in the neighborhood to make sure you don't run into crazy issues and then you're promoted to leadership once you meet the sales goals.

Before hitting the street though, you'll be expected to show up a few hours early to "practice pitch" and motivational group activities which are fun and here is where you'll find the most enjoyment. Then you go out, work your territory and come back to turn in your orders and for a ringing the bells ceremony, and break down of the newbies days. By the time you've finished this you're probably looking at something like a 13 hour work day depending on your commute to the office, and did I mention this is Monday-Saturday? (Saturday is tech. optional but its expected, as are some Sundays) Not to mention the time that you do have off from work is mostly expected to be spent with your team, either for charity events or team nights. After you've been in it so long your coworkers will be the only friends that you do have, so it makes sense. If your current family/friends do question this you're told that you're just dedicated to your future and your family/friends just don't understand the oppurtunity and the effort that needs to be put into it at first.

You only make commission, so to make something like $400-$600 a week you have to sell like at least 6 triple plays (the phone/internet/tv package) a week. So not impossible, but it is hard work, you do have to work the full day.

So basically its a pipe dream, yes the oppurtunity is there for the select few that aren't handed territory that has been overworked, in some of my experience, territory that had been gone through days before you were handed it.
Fun Place to work!
Sales Executive (Current Employee), PittsburghDecember 1, 2012
Pros: travel, give-aways, advancement opportunity
A typical day is getting to represent a fortune 100 client in the Pittsburgh market. You reach out to people based of a leads list provided by the client. I learned how to coach, develop, and mentor your professionals in building their leadership and management skills. Co-Workers are awesome & now some of my best friends. The hardest part about the job is not letting unhappy customers get to you. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the people and the growth opportunity.
Fun work environment with great people
Account Representative/Corporate Trainer (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 24, 2012
Pros: great people to work with and great growth opportunity
Cons: door-to-door sales
typical day includes door to door sales, I learned how to train and interview new employees, management was very cool to be around, co-workers are fun and became some of my good friends, the hardest part of the job is the door to door aspect, most enjoyable were the co-workers