Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Sales Director/Student Loan Advisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 16, 2018
If it weren't for the operational management team, the review would be very different. Company is growing to fast for it's own good or skill level. Some great people, some very terrible!
love it
Tutor / Math Problem Writer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 10, 2018
Took a while to get clients but ounce the ball got going love the company. Great for those whom need a flexable schedule. don't have to worry about billing just teaching
Collaborative Work Environment
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 9, 2018
Varsity Tutors is a fast-paced, growing company. It's best for people who can adapt quickly to change. If you want to work in a role where your voice/opinion matters, this is the place for you! Everyone from your co-workers, managers, even the CEO, want to know your thoughts and ideas for improving the culture, work environment, etc. No day is typical. We help people learn, everyday! I personally enjoy the ever-changing overall environment; it's never a dull moment. The work can be challenging at times, which is not for everyone. This can be the hardest part of the job for some. The work is very fluid. I see myself here for years to come.
Pros
Collaborative work environment
Cons
Office can be noisy at times
Low pay, not enough referrals
Tutor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 31, 2017
This company is a rip-off. They told me my salary was set based on where I was located, yet I tutored students across the country. Location was not relevant, yet that is how they paid the tutors. Found out that they charge the students quite a bit above what they pay the tutors. You can't see or control your profile, and you can't seek out students. The referrals were few and the mobile app was awful, not letting me respond to anything. There are better tutoring companies out there.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Not many students, no control over profile or referrals, lack of communciation
Not many students
TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MODecember 30, 2017
Not many students or "opportunities" sent my way. However, if a steady flow of students are sent your way, there is high opportunity to make decent money.
good side job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, CTDecember 29, 2017
Great way to make some side money if you're academically inclined! you can make your own tests and study guides which is a great way to make your own money within your own timeline
Pros
make your own hours
Cons
hard to get tutoring jobs close to you
Easy and flexible
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYDecember 27, 2017
Tutoring online permitted me to work at home or on the move. However, tutoring is not a job one can continuously do, day after day, hour after hour, like one might at many desk jobs. Varsity Tutors provided a steady supply of students and matched students to tutors very well.
Pros
Work at home or on the move
Cons
Must adapt to each student and deal with poor internet connections
Flexible, useful system
Contract Tutor (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 16, 2017
I was easily qualified for tutoring many subjects after prompt evaluations. Scheduling and assignment of clients is very simple. Invoicing is quick and simple.
Structure is Missing
Engagement Tutor Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZDecember 13, 2017
Good benefits. Biggest critique is the structure of the company and the way they manage employees. They have a poor training design and the resources available to employees do not adequately give them access to knowledge. They make you sign a lot of contracts to protect word of mouth so its likely got a lot more disgruntled employees than websites promoting it will state. Only reason I can make this review is its anonymous.
Convenient, but stagnant.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 7, 2017
Does not pay very well, compared to what clients are paying the company per session. It's a fairly convenient job to work, as it allows you to schedule your own hours, but it does not allow for any advancement.
Working on your own schedule
Student Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 4, 2017
It was really nice to make your own schedule and choose your own working hours. You could either tutor online or in person, the compensation differed though from that.
Great Starting Job
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 30, 2017
Great company for short term jobs. The company is very organized and communicates very well with their contractors. The company presents opportunity leads quickly.
Good company, irregular hours
Private Tutor (Contracted) (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 24, 2017
Having met very many clients over the years, you set your own hours and dictate how often you want to work. You are independently contracted by Varsity to work as their tutor and clients are offered to select from. However, even with a wide amount of subjects I'm available to tutor in, there was never really enough opportunities to obtain clients. In addition, because of the nature of tutoring, you have flexibility in your hours, but your hours are never really regular. The irregularity leads to stretches of little to no work sessions to long stretches of shifting between multiple clients on a single day. Driving between clients can also be very difficult especially in a large city and often the pay isn't enough to cover the cost of fuel and maintenance.
Nice side job
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKOctober 5, 2017
You're your own boss, so that's nice. But, you definitely can't work enough to do it full time. Also, the website that you have to use for invoicing puts a minimum on the hours for which you can bill, which has caused some issues.
very good
Math and Physics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 15, 2017
The staff and setup is excellent. I have never had any issues. Getting matched with clients is very easy and being able to make my own schedule how I want to work perfectly for me.
Very Fast Paced Sales Environment
Client Sales Director (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 13, 2017
Fast Paced Sales Environment, IB and OB Calls, Young Management was a pro and con based on your needs. Growing very fast and at times unable to keep up with the growth
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Unable to meet growth demands
Freelance Tutoring
Freelance Tutor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 26, 2017
Pros:
Flexible work schedule, competitive pay, remote/online tutoring. Improved pedagogy skills for working one-on-one.

Cons:
Not much institutional support, very little exposure to new clients.
Varsity Review
TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYAugust 25, 2017
Too little compensation for tutors. They are very vague about certain policies and also opportunities quickly get deleted. Like the online platform option. Very intuitive and good for online work.
Tutoring
GERMAN TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Clayton, MO 63105August 17, 2017
This past semester I only had one high school student to tutor in German I in the school district. I hope to add to that this new school year. I like helping the kids to learn German and improve their language skills and grades.
Great job from home
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 22, 2017
Having a baby at home, jobs do not come easy. VT has a great program, where you can set your own schedule and subjects.
You can work as much or less you desire. Pay is always on time.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Varsity Tutors. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8