Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews

low pay, flexible schedule
tutor (Current Employee) –  homeJuly 20, 2016
i've been working for varsity for about a year. i tutor about two students a day. i do A LOT of prep work for sessions, but you're only paid for the session itself. if i earned $30/hour as another reviewer on this site stated, i'd be THRILLED, but i earn a little over half that. so it's pretty terrible in terms of pay. but i do get steady clients, so i'm going to stay until i can figure out how to get local students. i do not work weekends or late nights, and they never gave me a problem about that. management is always very nice and cooperative.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
low pay, no benefits
Fun self motivating math assistance
Math tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 11, 2016
I set appointments with students who I choose, build a lesson plan based on their comprehension and skill level.
I meet with students at their home or a public setting.
We cover review homework or lessons and prepare for upcoming tests and assessments. I have learned how to create custom lesson plans for students based on their needs and abilities I work independently and have no co-workers. The hardest part is building a schedule that allows me enough time with students when they available. The most enjoyable part is when a student has that eureka moment they grasp a topic or problem fully they have been struggling with and are relieved and excited to learn more.
Pros
Freedom to build my own scehulde and clients
Cons
benefits and not enough hours
Work from home environment
Senior iOS Developer (Current Employee) –  Bainbridge Island, WAJune 16, 2016
Being able to home is a big plus.

Little opportunity for advancement.

No raises or compensation adjustments.

Expensive family healthcare.

Limited PTO.
Productive, Flexible Work Place
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILJune 5, 2016
I work my own hours and have the privilege of interacting with students from different walks of life.

I love the flexibility and the fact that I get to learn new things and meet new people.
Pros
limited number of students
Cons
limited number of students, self contractor so no benefits.
Totally unfair
Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 5, 2016
I worked for Varsity. Everything seems good except how they share the money they get from client with the tutor. They charge a client for about 120$ per session, but the tutor receives only about 30$. Other companies treat the tutors more fairly.
Why did I work there? Well, just as first experience I recommend it. But for sure, not good for long term. You can earn at least twice if you work in other companies.
Pros
flexible shedule
Cons
unfair salary
Outstanding part-time job to gain teaching experience.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CANovember 23, 2016
My time at Varsity Tutors has been fabulous. The management at Varsity Tutors goes actively out of its way to make sure that its employees are always happy with their experience, and that is something I have quickly learned. On top of that, Varsity Tutors is more ripe with opportunities than I could have ever expected, and I have never felt that I might have a difficult time obtaining students. Further, all of the students I have worked with have been cooperative and overall enjoyable to spend time with.
Good for college students, underpaid
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 2, 2016
Starting off, this job seems like a good fit. It's relatively easy to do and you get a couple of dollars here and there. However, this is an INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR job. That means that you have to pay your own taxes on everything that you get, you have no benefits AT ALL and you're NOT THEIR EMPLOYEE. They don't train you and you have to provide all materials, drive your own car, and buy gas.

I received $18/hr for in person tutoring and $15/hr for online tutoring.In the month that I made $800, I put 1000 miles on my car just from driving from one tutoring session to the next. Needless to say, the miles and wear on my car were adding up, and the $18/hr was NOT worth it. I went through several sets of tires in a matter of months.

Management is nice. I've never had a problem with them. There weren't any co-workers because of the nature of the job. The most enjoyable part was helping other students. The hardest part was the driving and the aggressive parents. They are paying like $80/hr (or more) to VT for their child, even though you only see a small portion of that. Anyway, because they're paying so much, many of them seem to be very pushy.
Pros
Nice Management, Easy Job to do
Cons
Underpaid, In dependent Contractor, Overwhelming Parents, Too much driving
All online, received monthly check ups, easy to work with,
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJanuary 6, 2017
This company did a great job integrating me within a week. I learned the ins and outs within a day through online training with company member. tutoring opportunities where general granted to senior members, but there was enough for beginners to receive adiquet pay. I got to choose my own hours, and choose between online tutoring and offline. Overall, would recommend as a part time job.
Pros
Online, set your own hours, can work offline or online
Cons
Tutor opportunities are few when starting out.
Casual environment, crushing goals and having fun
Sales Director (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 17, 2017
Varsity Tutors is a great place to learn sales tactics and handling objections. Management all has great experience from their past to help employees gain skills and be successful.
Cons
Healthcare, inconvenient location of office
Very Difficult
Tutor (Current Employee) –  OnlineFebruary 17, 2017
I think this is a great job. Although I do not like how clients are serviced. When they assign you a client you still have to do an interview with the parent. And if they do not like the responses to their questions you do not get to tutor their children. So far I have not made any money. Varsity should just assign the student to you and that should be it.
Pros
Make your own schedule, paid twice a week
Cons
When parents don;t like your responses you don't get paid.
Easy scheduled tutoring
Independent Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2016
Varsity Tutors will employ you as an independent tutor. Ultimately, your experience will depend on how motivated you are to work. Clients are presented to you frequently via on online match system. It is your responsibility to schedule sessions with pupils. Varsity Tutors provides a easy-to-use online platform for virtual tutoring. Hourly rates are around average for tutors. Tutors may also submit practice questions for additional compensation.
Pros
Great online tutoring availability
Cons
Lack of in-person students
I don't know why I am giving my opinion for free when someone could be paying me for it, but here it is
Tutor (Current Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 26, 2017
Varsity tutors is not dreadful to work with, but everything feels like a struggle. The website is lacking (It's getting better, but they don't even give you a place to contact them from on their site).

The app doesn't work properly - I can't even accept new clients from it. Other than that, it's not too bad.

The pay may seem good, but it's underwhelming compared to alternatives and how much the client actually spends. The client will spend 50+, if you tutor through their platform, you're making 15 per hour or less, in person it's 20 or less (I take this stat from a small sample size of a few friends and the research that I have done).

A few desires before I would be satisfied. I want a functional and easy to navigate website, the ability to contact VT easier with any complaints, and better pay. The pay should be the biggest reason to look elsewhere; other websites offer 20-25 standard. I was too naive to argue my pay initially, I would suggest giving that a try.
Pros
Pick your own hours, you can disable the spam notifications, clients come in regularly enough. Not a bad part time job.
Cons
You have to file your own taxes, you aren't paid extra for long distances, Substandard pay, clunky website, hard to contact VT
Great Place to work
Online Math and Test Prep Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 6, 2016
This is a great place to work if you want additional hours. The industry itself is very seasonal. Some weeks it is great income other weeks I am counting my coins.

What you put into it is what you get out of it.

The management is fantastic. Always ready to address issues.
The hardest part of the job is the consistency of students. But that is the business.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the reward of helping the students.
Independent and Part time job
English Tutor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 9, 2017
As a varsity tutor, you have a lot of freedom over your own schedule and works best as a part time job. It pays really well, and gives you the free to pick your clients. Management communication is great, and you can work from anywhere.
Good for a part-time job.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMarch 5, 2017
Varsity tutors is a nice job! I haven't had any problems with the students or the payments. The only thing is that you need to have tutorees to tutor, and they go pretty fast (especially if you're not doing online tutoring). This means that you're not guaranteed anybody for a while. This can be nerve-wrecking if you're doing this to pay bills, but if you're making extra money from this then you should be fine.
Flexible and Fulfilling Job
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 27, 2016
I have worked at Varsity Tutors for over 4 years, and it was been a wonderful and fulfilling job. Being able to see so many different clients and adapt to different learning approaches really expanded my knowledge base and increased my ability to change my approach depending on the situation. The wide variety of students gave me a chance to improve my patience, creativity and focus. The hardest part of the job was working with special needs children and working to adapt their way of learning, and the most enjoyable part was seeing students not only succeed but realize that learning can be a positive experience.
Pros
Flexible, interesting, helps broaden your knowledge base, rewarding
Cons
Can be frustrating when students do not succeed despite your best efforts
Great Flexibility and hours for part time work
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 6, 2016
Having an independent contract, this job gives you so much power to choose how much you want to work and with whom. It is a great part time job for busy students or even people with full time jobs looking to tutor for fun and for extra money.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Unreliable for consistent income
Varsity Tutors
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 13, 2017
Very flexible! You run your own business and therefore make your own schedule. It is like having a part-time job where you have full control over everything. Great way to make extra money on the side.
Online tutoring is convenient
Online Tutor (Current Employee) –  OnlineDecember 18, 2016
Varsity Tutors is a good place to tutor online if you are not looking to do too much hours during the week. It is convenient for those who are already working full-time, because the Tutors can offer hours when they are available.
Organized, Helpful
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeOctober 7, 2016
This is a contracted job. I work when their students' needs fit my schedule.

I learned about the pros and cons to being in a per-job type of work experience.

Management is organized and helpful.

Hardest part of the job is random work.

Most enjoyable part...teaching.
Pros
teaching
Cons
random scheduling

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Varsity Tutors. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8