Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews in United States

waste of time
PHYSICS/MATH TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 30, 2016
so many tutors that you may never get a client. · As a tutor it’s my responsibility to analyze a student’s weaknesses in a subject, I then develop a strategy best suited to their learning style that targets their weaknesses to help with their understanding, and confidence, so they are test ready.
Pros
make your own hours
Cons
you may never get hours
Avoid at all costs
Sales Director (Former Employee) –  VariousApril 22, 2016
One of the worst companies I've ever seen. Crooked shady tactics and rampant favoritism. Avoid this place like the plague.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Undependable and Uncertain Work
Tutor (Current Employee) –  NationalApril 21, 2016
Varsity Tutors is a work-at-home opportunity that fails to provide ample opportunities. Student matching is done via an announcement to all of the tutors for a particular subject matter, after which follows a scramble to see who actually gets paired to the student. At times an automatic match is made available; however, these are often students that just want help on a particular assignment or paper that's due within the next couple of days, and have no interest in regular sessions.

Outside of tutoring for the GRE, there is no greater compensation for tutoring advanced subject matter (i.e. graduate level engineering, computer science, chemistry) versus more rudimentary material (i.e. algebra, English composition), and as one may expect, you will not be paid for time taken before a session to prepare to assist a student.

As an adjunct means of payment, there is the option to create problem sets. However, the times between the submission of a set and its approval is terribly inconsistent, and communication between the team that works on them is nearly nonexistent. Prepare to have over a month go by while waiting to be told whether or not your work is acceptable, let alone to be paid for it. The caveat is given that such wait times may occur.

If you wish to have a minor means of side income, perhaps an extra one or two hundred dollars a month, Varsity Tutors may not be a bad option for you. However, there is no means for career advancement since you are an independent contractor, and even if you make sure to apply to and take advantage of all opportunities, there is no
  more... guarantee of work or income.

Do not expect to make a living wage doing this.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Poor student matching, unreliable income, slow review of work
No guaranteed students, not great tutor representation
Tutor and Test Writer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 19, 2016
I have been a contracted tutor for 5 months and have still not received any students. They send out possible student applications to a pool of tutors across the country and even when confirming tutor availability, the likelihood of actually getting work is close to none. The only plus side is that you can write test questions if they approve your initial test which generates a small amount of money.
Pros
Free lance test writing
Cons
Zero student guarantee
Fun self motivating math assistance
Math tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 11, 2016
I set appointments with students who I choose, build a lesson plan based on their comprehension and skill level.
I meet with students at their home or a public setting.
We cover review homework or lessons and prepare for upcoming tests and assessments. I have learned how to create custom lesson plans for students based on their needs and abilities I work independently and have no co-workers. The hardest part is building a schedule that allows me enough time with students when they available. The most enjoyable part is when a student has that eureka moment they grasp a topic or problem fully they have been struggling with and are relieved and excited to learn more.
Pros
Freedom to build my own scehulde and clients
Cons
benefits and not enough hours
Good for college students, underpaid
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 2, 2016
Starting off, this job seems like a good fit. It's relatively easy to do and you get a couple of dollars here and there. However, this is an INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR job. That means that you have to pay your own taxes on everything that you get, you have no benefits AT ALL and you're NOT THEIR EMPLOYEE. They don't train you and you have to provide all materials, drive your own car, and buy gas.

I received $18/hr for in person tutoring and $15/hr for online tutoring.In the month that I made $800, I put 1000 miles on my car just from driving from one tutoring session to the next. Needless to say, the miles and wear on my car were adding up, and the $18/hr was NOT worth it. I went through several sets of tires in a matter of months.

Management is nice. I've never had a problem with them. There weren't any co-workers because of the nature of the job. The most enjoyable part was helping other students. The hardest part was the driving and the aggressive parents. They are paying like $80/hr (or more) to VT for their child, even though you only see a small portion of that. Anyway, because they're paying so much, many of them seem to be very pushy.
Pros
Nice Management, Easy Job to do
Cons
Underpaid, In dependent Contractor, Overwhelming Parents, Too much driving
Easy scheduled tutoring
Independent Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2016
Varsity Tutors will employ you as an independent tutor. Ultimately, your experience will depend on how motivated you are to work. Clients are presented to you frequently via on online match system. It is your responsibility to schedule sessions with pupils. Varsity Tutors provides a easy-to-use online platform for virtual tutoring. Hourly rates are around average for tutors. Tutors may also submit practice questions for additional compensation.
Pros
Great online tutoring availability
Cons
Lack of in-person students
Great for extra money, but not for making a living
Mathematics Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 31, 2016
Was responsible for responding to client opportunities and setting up appointments. Plans and organizes sessions to meet the needs of clients of all educational levels (elementary to college). Meets with clients in person or via an online platform. Meets with parents and discusses progress as necessary.

Initially excited about the job until I realized I would only be working a single-digit amount of hours per week. Initially excited about being able to submit practice problems for money until I realized we can only submit one set at a time and it's taken about a month so far for them to determine whether or not to accept the problems.
Pros
Great for extra money, very flexible
Cons
Very few hours, very many bugs in website
The tutoring service is actually very effective.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  New YorkJanuary 7, 2016
This job is amazing if you love to teach/tutor online. It is easy to do and it really works for the students. I feel that students can truly learn from using Varsity Tutors.
The only negative side is that the money is not really a lot. $15/h is not really a fair paid rate for the knowledge taught. Lastly, it seems rather difficult to land a student. Even after you rather quickly reply to the request and even if you have zero students at the moment, it is highly likely you will not get that student placed with you; at least that was my experience. It is not reliable dues to this factor.
Pros
Convenient work from home. Easy money. It is fun if you love teaching.
Cons
Not good pay. Not reliable. Not too many students placed with you.
Not a high work load
math tutor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 2, 2015
No luck with this company yet, I have been waiting tables on the side for extra money. I also am in position to start substituting for middle schools soon, though it is not yet official. I would prefer another job.
Fits in with active lifestyle
Mathematics and Statistics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 26, 2015
It's gratifying to help students learn math and statistics. Tutors get to choose times that fit their schedule. Another advantage is providing help to students inspires us to thoroughly review our material.
Great company to work for
Tutor (Former Employee) –  TampaOctober 5, 2015
Great company to work for but the pay definitely makes more sense for the at home option - online tutoring. I prefer the face to face tutoring with the students so I ended up investing a lot of my personal time in driving to and from the places I would tutor.

The communication with management is great; there is always someone available to answer your call, or if you email them, usually you will have a response back within less than 12 hours.
Pros
flexible work, good pay
Cons
too much driving
Acted as an independent contractor and was able to be flexible with my tutoring hours.
Professional Tutor (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CASeptember 4, 2015
I enjoy working for Varsity Tutors as an independent tutor. It provides me with a decent hourly rate of pay, however, I would have liked to clock more hours. My work schedule was very flexible and I enjoyed interactions with the directors (my bosses). The directors were always extremely friendly and helpful.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, decent compensation
Cons
Not assigned enough clients
Great workplace with supportive staff
Private Tutor (Former Employee) –  HomeAugust 13, 2015
Great workplace that offered ST, OT and PT to pedis, we really connected with each and every patient to help them achieve their goals.
Ability to pick your own hours to tutor on your own time
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2015
Varsity Tutors is a great platform for tutors to be easily connected with students. The company lets you choose how far you would like students to be located and you can approve or not approve of students in your area based off of descriptions provided.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Paid at beginning of month
Excellent job for extra hours and pay
English/ Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 3, 2015
It's a great job that allows me to freelance write. I make my own hours and get to work with some great people. I love the online platform and the people at Varsity keep me abreast of new opportunities to make sure I always have hours.
They gouge their tutors!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 23, 2015
There's so many other companies like this that compensate their tutors more fairly. Varsity charges $70 and up for sessions, but only pay their tutors $23. A business model based on greed I suppose- trying to make a buck I guess. Do not recommend.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
INCREDIBLY lopsided payout perentage to the tutors, difficulty getting work
basic sciences
Part time tutor (Current Employee) –  woodbridge njJune 18, 2015
I was hired recently, i am still waiting to get a tutoring opportunity that suits my profile. Overall, the management has been great and supportive.
Pros
flexible, and i can teach basic science subjects
Cons
very few students in the summer
Tutoring high school students in trouble subjects
Equipment Engineer Intern (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXMay 17, 2015
Working at Varsity Tutors involved tutoring high school students in areas such as math, physics, and test prep. I really enjoyed the interacting with the kids and teaching them new things and also refining my knowledge in these subjects but it required a lot of driving and the hours were inconsistent.
Pros
good pay, interaction with a lot of people one on one
Cons
inconsistent hours
Great part time job
Private Math and Science Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2015
From my own experience, Varsity tutors is a great place for full time students who want to make a little extra money for living expenses or to get started on paying back loans. The client database is readily full of clients that you can choose to tutor at your own discretion.
Also, decent way to network with people whose kids or relatives you are tutoring during college.
Pros
You are in charge of your own work schedule.
Cons
Distance of clients may be jarring for those who don't have a car.