Vassar College Employee Reviews

Poor and unair working enviorment.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  124 Raymond Avenue, Poughkeepsie, NY, 12603August 24, 2017
Efforts made were not acknowledged unless your family were friends of the management. Nothing was ever enough no matter how much you tried. Responsibilities of management were imposed upon the kitchen staff and there was a great deal of playing unfair behavior coming fro the kitchen managers.
Not a good expreance
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Health CenterJuly 21, 2017
Poor, felt taken advance of.I was hired to cover an employee that habd taken ill. I learned many things in a short period of time, and I was not given the chance to stay after an week when the employee came before time expected. I did not think that was profressioal.
Pros
Was not given a fare chance
Cons
the supervisors be favoring other wokers over other coworker and it makes it hard to get the job done.
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJune 20, 2017
I wouldn't have no prob with Vassar if they wasn't showing certain employees favoritism, and having brakes between the school and leave half of there employers unemployed. I'm looking for a staple job that's worth the pay an i wont have to worry about brakes or worrying about working until a certain day or months.
Encouraging, Supportive
Vice President, Black Students Union (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJune 19, 2017
I am a student employee at Vassar. I have enjoyed working with most of the people I have worked with including faculty, administration, and students. I was encouraged to pursue my programing ideas, and to make connections with administration. Whenever I had an idea, the people around me did whatever they could to make it happen, so I am grateful for the experience.
Tough place
Professor (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYApril 23, 2017
I wouldn't recommend working here. A harsh environment, little opportunity for real growth. A static, old-fashioned environment with an allergy to new, fresh ideas and dynamic people.
Vassar college CIS dept.
User Services Consultant (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYApril 5, 2017
As departments on the Vassar college campus. Computing and Information Services is one the best to work. Great team of coworkers and managers. The most enjoyable parts of my job is managing 15 very talented student works and helping clients around the campus.
Pros
Working with some great coworkers and clients.
Cons
Too small a work place for you to advance quickly.
A day in the lab
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYSeptember 8, 2016
Researching the rigidity of microtubules depending on the stabilizer used in vitro. Utilizing RStudio to develop a script that analyzes pictures obtained with fluorescence microscopy, to determine the rigidity of microtubules.
Growth
Accounting Specialist for Facilities Operations (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYAugust 27, 2016
Working for Facility Operations is very challenging which enables me to grow and reach my potential with the duties and daily tasks. Working with six different Project Managers, in which needed direction is very filling, knowing they I kept them on track with their encumbrances and capital improvements status.
Pros
Learning out of my comfort zone and producing.
Cons
I'm through a temp agency and the lady I'm currently filling in for is returning.
Able to exercise mind in linear algebra
Mathematics Department Paper Reader (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJune 24, 2016
I like math, particularly linear algebra, so grading was fun. I understood the concepts so the work wasn't challenging. Only time I felt stressed was if I got a lot of papers at the same time and a deadline attached (particularly before upcoming exams),
Pros
Math
Cons
Minimum wage
Great Place to work.
Events Coordinator for the President (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJuly 8, 2015
Fast Paced, Great people to work with. Lots of interaction with students and other faculty. Has its good days and bad.Just wish the compensation package was a bit higher.
Pros
Suppotive staff
Cons
Lower Salary scale
productive and great place to work
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJuly 6, 2015
excellent job and staff and i wish i could work there permanently. great pay and excellent benefits and the hours are wonderful plus the supervisors and bosses are great and easy to talk to and work with.
Pros
great benefits and pay
Cons
Excellent environment to work at with a great staff.
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJuly 1, 2015
At Vassar college I would change trash cans, sweep, mop, vacuum and restock materials. Sometime I would change light bulbs that were out of service or defective. I worked with an excellent staff and it was a real team that helped and guided me the right way. I would love to have stayed but unfortunately it was a temp job through a temping agency.
Pros
Union and medical benefits
Cons
no cons
Productive Job
Vassar College Boiler Operator/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJune 27, 2015
Hard and rewarding job, troubleshooting, recording efficiency reports and Steam reports for New York State.
Good People to work with.
Pleasant atmosphere to work in.
Great place to work, supportive and cooperative interaction between students, administration and faculty.
Campus Activities Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYFebruary 18, 2015
I had a great work-study experience. Administration was really flexible in regards to students choosing their own convenient work hours to fit into tight and demanding academic schedules. My co-workers/ fellow students were respectful and always ensured that the work environment was positive and productive.
Great Educational opportunity
English/Hispanics Dept Office & Research Asst. (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYSeptember 10, 2014
Working with knowledgeable and passionate professors was the highlight of my experience.
Great place to start a career
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2014
Great work environment. Professors are friendly and help push you to greatness.
Highly Sought after
Administrative Assistant, Dean of Students Office (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJuly 9, 2013
The college is a busy place all year round. A typical day is filled with interactions with students, parents, faculty, staff and administrators. Due to the size of the college it feels like a family. A community within a community.
The work was rewarding.
Digital Media Consultant (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJune 21, 2013
On a typical work day I would walk into the main office to clock in, take a name tag, then walk out and sit at a table in the main library; I would remain here until the day was over, at which time I would return to the main office to clock out. Through this job, I learned how to talk to people in a way that is conducive to easy and accessible communication. The management was light; I only saw my mangier about once a week. My co-workers were all hard workers and polite individuals, with diverse personalities and backgrounds. The hardest part of the job was when someone asked me a question that I could not answer, which forced me to be driven to learn an entirely new piece of software, so that I could help next time. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing peoples faces flushed with relief when I solved a problem for them that they had been struggling with.
Good Summer Work
Digital Media Archivist (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYMay 30, 2013
I worked here over the summer as a student worker. It was a great experience. My technical background helped solving problems differently and more efficiently than previous workers.
Relaxed, open environment
Help Desk Supervisor/Media Technician (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYMarch 27, 2013
My day consisted of retail - assisting customers with purchase of computers, Ipads, Ipods, etc. Excellent working environment, great co-workers and supervisors.
Pros
free lunch, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
inconsistent duties