VCA Animal Hospital Employee Reviews

A place you love
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 15, 2017
A relatively small clinic that you grow to love. The people and doctors are amazing.

A typical work day is busy, always moving.

The management is questionable as the manager plays favorites and is not quick to hire new employees when necessary.

The hardest part of the job is honestly just dealing with other peoples stress. If you keep a cool head you'll be fine.

The most enjoyable part of a job is dealing with new clients of new adopted pets. You're the first face they see and if you do a good job, they're sure to come back.
Pros
Discounts. Time flexible.
Cons
Two-faces co-workers. Low pay.
It was a fast pace hospital for my externship
EXTERN (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CANovember 13, 2017
it was a fast paced location for my externship and was fun with a lot of friendly characters. I was very lucky to be able to have that experience to be able to meet the technicians and doctors there.
Productive and loving industry
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent, WANovember 9, 2017
I haven't work at VCA for several years. There were many changes that kept being talked about for a long time before I left, it was very challenging to between rotating doctors and management. I hear they have settled down and updated their hospital now! VCA standard of care is of the quality value and that is appreciated!
Pros
Clinets were awesome!
Cons
Not enough staff support
Volunteer
Lawndale - Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Lawndale, CANovember 6, 2017
I was a volunteer. I took care of cats. The people who worked there were mean. I volunteered there several years ago and I didn't like it; I don't recommend working there to other people.
Family like enviornment
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 4, 2017
Mostly busy, steady, somewhat stressful but balanced. Family like work environment. I run the front desk along with my supervisor. The clients and their pets are the best part of the job. Very getting to know regular clients. My supervisor is flexible if I need to adjust hours for my personal appointments. The hardest part of job is sometimes being under staffed, and feeling the job does not pay accordingly to work load and experience.
High stress , low pay
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Carmel, IN 46032November 2, 2017
Extremely high stress , will work you into the ground with little to no pay raises or advancements . The company does not care about employees at all .
Word days went by fast learned alot
Extern Student (Former Employee) –  New MexicoNovember 1, 2017
I really enjoyed working at VCA. I was an extern from Pima Medical Institute. The staff at VCA was friendly outgoing were willing to answer questions I had willing to show me proper work habbits . The doctors were simply amazing.
Great job for those interested in veterinary medicine
Pet Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anderson, CANovember 1, 2017
Always busy, always something to do. I worked alot in boarding area and assisting techs and doctors. Sometimes very overwhelming because it is always understaffed.
Productive, fun, great place to learn
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 30, 2017
Great start to veterinary career and good environment to learn about standard and advanced veterinary technician protocol and skill-set. Starting pay is fair but hard to increase.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks, Pto, Pet Discounts
Cons
Pay
Great Learning Experience
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 28, 2017
Great company to work for. I loved the job. My boss was amazing & so were my coworkers. The best part was getting to play with all the animals that came in!
Pros
Great management
Cons
Short lunch
Fast paced but satifactory work
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Tomball, TXOctober 24, 2017
I liked working here. The employees were awesome and the animals are great. I learned a lot while I worked there and made good friends. I know more bout the field and that was great.
Love the job hate the company
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 23, 2017
Almost a decade with this company because I had a passion for the work and was very good at my job. Despite a high skill set and and working closely with managment my ending pay was less than 15 per hour. An unlivable wage in Portland. After multiple on the job injuries thier insurance company has sent me to collections for the disability benifits I received. In honesty I loved the job its self but the upper management of the company cares little for their staff.
Kennel Attendant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 22, 2017
The doctors and staff are pleasant to work with. You see some interesting cases and learn a lot about animal care. I would recommend VCA as a good place to work.
Fun place to work
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Allison Park, PAOctober 19, 2017
I truly love working with animals. It was a huge learning experience for me. I appreciated the skills and knowledge that I have gained while working in an animal hospital.
About my current work place.
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  LaGrange Park, IlOctober 13, 2017
Overall a nice place to work. It's a job so it has it's good days and not so good day. Some days are busier than other but we all keep busy either way. There is always something to do such as cleaning, stocking rooms, filing, client call backs, and several other duties.
Stressful
Technician (Current Employee) –  Pearl City, HIOctober 10, 2017
Really busy work environment and always something to do. The hardest part is dealing with clients, not the patients. Coworkers are okay but nothing gets done about people with poor attitudes.
Good place to work, able to move up in the company
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 9, 2017
It is a good place to work at I have worked at 3 of the hospitals so I got to experience the different workplace culture. I would do kennel technician stuff where I would come in and take care of the animals that were staying at the hospital. Then I would move up to receptionist where I would check patients in and out, take care of bill, ect. I was doing surgical assistant for awhile in the first hospital I worked at for them. Then I started off doing veterinary assistant class and was able to use my skills there. The management could of been better but not horrible. The pay wasn't very good unless if you worked in the ICU. The workplace culture was good and bad depending on the hospital. The hardest part about the job was when it came to was the employees depending on the hospital and of course the emotional part when the animals were old and had to be euthanized. The most enjoyable was being able to help the pets especially after surgeries and watching them heal and be back to their normal selves. The clients would always be happy when their pet was better.
Pros
Love working with animals
Great employees but terrible management
Kennel Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 9, 2017
When management isn’t there, it’s great working with everyone and things get done. When management is there they like to call employees liars, don’t listen to you for whatever your reasoning is, love to have favorites and are two faced. There’s no room for advancement, will tell you what you want to hear and lie to your face about it when it’s convenient for them and talk at you like you’re the dirt on the bottom of their foot. They only want money and don’t care about the employees feelings.
Pros
Discount pet care
Cons
Lying and conniving management
Great Work Place
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAOctober 8, 2017
I've worked here for almost 4 years, and I love my management and feel like we are always trying to improve as a hospital. The culture is great, and the pay is fair.
Fast paced clinical setting
Certified Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNOctober 5, 2017
Different positions throughout the week so you're not always stuck doing the same thing. Management is ok, not great about getting back to you on things. The doctors are amazing, but can let personal issues affect their job.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Salary