VCA Animal Hospital Employee Reviews

No room for a raise, can't live off salary
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wappingers Falls, NYFebruary 4, 2017
I was with VCA for a year. No one at our hospital has gotten a raise, and I work so many hours to try and keep a roof over my head. I'm scheduled to work most of the day, expected to stay late a lot... I feel I have no life and no one cares about anyone else's lives. I have been scheduled 4-12pm, then 8am-4pm the next day. I asked to leave for a doctor's appointment mid day and it was a problem. I have no other time to go because I'm scheduled the entire day when everyone else is closed by the time I get out. I have been extremely frustrated and unhappy with this company. I have had worse management/work environments elsewhere but I have lost my life. I feel I have lost myself and became a zombie. The benefits are pretty good, though you certainly don't get paid what you deserve. I would advise looking elsewhere.
Pros
Paid time off, sick days, insurance
Cons
No life, little pay, over worked, under appreciated.
very fast paced environment and not enough staff
Vet Tech (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 13, 2016
The clinic is for vet techs and veterinarians that are only interested in making some serious profit. Being a vet tech was not fun at all. You worked long hours, had short lunches, and it was yourself and only one other vet tech doing the work. Honestly, the management didn't care if you were swamped with appointments and getting behind and didn't care if the doctor was over booked. Again putting stress on the technicians and the veterinarians, which never ended well. The hardest part at this clinic was only giving one option to the clients (usually a very expensive option), and then trying to explain why things were so expensive and why we couldn't do anything about it. It would make me sick to my stomach. There was no enjoyable part about this job.
Pros
Cons
management, no benefits, coworkers
Corporate life but same small clinic
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 13, 2017
Each day is different but structure remains same; management clueless but fellow employees for most part intelligent, hard-working; benefits are good (medical, dental, vision), vacation & sick days
Pros
benefits, nice work environment
Cons
management is ignorant of daily routines/tasks, lots of secret meetings & withheld information from those who are impacted most by decisions
Great Place
Hospital Manager (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 24, 2017
Overall, I generally like working for this company. I am searching other options to see what else I can do, not because I do not like the company. Overall, good for someone in the vet field.
Pros
Job Stability, room for advancement, ethical business practices
Cons
Stressful in management, but that is not due to the company
Wouldn't recommend
Veterinary Assistant - Assist DVMs and RVTs (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 10, 2016
Not a good place to work. Overcharge customers, no schedule flexibility, shady business practices. Co workers are fantastic and it's great to work with animals.
Pros
Puppies and kittens
Cons
Bad work schedule, bad benefits, bad management
Just an Ok Place to Work
Veterinarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 19, 2017
I was there for 5 years and left because there was really no advancement. I wanted to work there full time but they only gave me enough hours to be a part time employee.
Pros
Excellent staff
Cons
No advancement, poor raises
Productive workplace with opportunity for advancement of skills.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILMarch 20, 2016
VCA is a frontrunner in veterinary medicine, offering opportunity to advance technical skills. Job culture is lacking. Management is over-regulative and punitive. There is a sharp divide between management and non-management. Doctors are given much too much sway in interpersonal conflict resolution on teams, as opposed to HR holding most of the decisions making power. VCA pays at the upper end of payscale for veterinary technicians, though their payraise opportunity is sorely lacking. Opportunity to learn and teach is high. Overall it is a great place to get experience but has a very high turnover and corporate culture. I would work for VCA again and again.
Pros
access to education, furthering skills, starting pay, healthcare, benefits, access to transfers, high quality medicine
Cons
corporate culture, management, hr nightmare, short breaks, overworked, disconnect between management and employees, no family feeling
Very fun place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILFebruary 14, 2017
 Performed accounts payable, accounts receivable, daily cash deposits, daily and month cash balancing, and responsible for maintaining accurate corporate monthly and annual reporting
 Began supporting clinic as a representative; promoted to Office Manager position in one year
 Received recognition for customer service and office management multiple times throughout my tenure
Pros
Fun getting to know the patients and their pets
unorganized, nice location
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WAOctober 1, 2016
-typical day-helping doctor with patients, surgeries, dentals
-I learned to deal with adversity.
-Management was ok, not great, wasn't there half the time.
-My co workers were nice, mostly helpful.
-hardest part: hours cut to 1 day a week when hired for FT
-most enjoyable: being able to relief at 2 other VCA's even after my hours were cut at Snowood. I wish I would have worked at either of those hospitals instead.
Pros
overcoming adversity
Cons
hours decreased during slow times
Vca
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Newtown Square, PAAugust 14, 2016
My typical work day includes coming into work and getting the report from the over night employees. Anything that is pressing I handle first and then I give the animals their medication. I spend the day making sure everyone is doing their jobs as well as handling any client issues. The hardest part of the job is working some of the pets we work with are older and when they pass away it is sad. The best part is working with the people and animals that I do.
Through this job I learned the importance of time management and client relations.
Pros
The people and animals I work with. They are hardworking great people.
Cons
The hours and the distance I drive to work.
Good
Tech Assistant/Pet Care Specialist Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJanuary 19, 2017
Good place and beautiful facility. Helpful vets and very knowledgeable staff. The benefits are top notch. The hardest part of the day is handling the difficult clients that are having a hard time with their pet or with a situation
High Volume
Overnight Emergency Tech assistant (Current Employee) –  Cerritos, CANovember 8, 2016
Great Hospital to get your foot in the door, to improve and learn. The staff were always so nice. They have a ton of boarders so there is always a full house. Usually they have dentals all day long so there is always something to help out with. Management is amazing, and works well with your schedule.
Pros
Management is great
Cons
Busy
Good Starter Job
Kennel Technician (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CANovember 22, 2016
Work is easy; a lot of cleaning and walking dogs. I learned a lot about animal behavior.
Overall, I loved this job and the people on my shift but animosity between shift was strong so communication between shifts was also lacking in most departments. There was a definite disconnect between management and employees.
I loved working here
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 28, 2016
I was with the company for a long time. The hours were always more than they said. And Allen and trilby try to get people to do other people's jobs without any compensation. I had a lot of clients I was close to and I knew all the dogs. They needed a grooming manager after Mishell Copley left. I'd work with the company again at a different location
Pros
Discounts 401k
Cons
No grooming manager
VCA is awful
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 20, 2017
Need I say more. VCA only cares about the bottom line, which is profit. Employees re seemingly expendable and there is no real room for personal advancement or growth.
If you love pets this is the place to gain experiance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 27, 2016
It was an ok job and i loved being around the pets. Management team could use some work on the CSR side. It is a good way to gain experience in the administrative part of health care while also seeing how an ER is ran and maintained in all positions in the hospital.
Great learning experience
Room Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PAJanuary 28, 2017
Active environment, learn a lot during day to day activities. Improves time management and organizational skills. Can be stressful and disorganized at times. Pay is ok. Great people to work with.
Would never work for this company again.
Kennel Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boscawen, NHMarch 12, 2016
Company expects you to work your butt off, but is unwilling to pay you a livable wage. Management was terrible, two faced and had clicks. Actual work was very rewarding but with so much drama and unhappiness there, it is was not worth it. Management boosted about company profits but then said no raises would be administered.
Pros
Being with the animals
Cons
Management and turnover was crazy
Loved my coworkers
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 27, 2016
Great place to work. Awesome coworkers, CE courses and relief work offered along with benefits and scrubs, generous pet discount.
Pros
Benefits, scrubs, free lunch w/staff meetings
Cons
Wage increases are low
Great Start
Veterinary Technician- ER/ICU / Parasite Advisor (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 4, 2016
Great place to begin your career! Not much room for advancement! Management is as helpful as they come! Don't regret ever working at any of the VCA's!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VCA Animal Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.