VCA Antech, Inc. Employee Reviews

BE WARNED! Look elsewhere if possible
Client Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 22, 2016
Be prepared to work hard with very little recognition and low compensation. Management also very poor. I could write a novel here but seriously look elsewhere if possible! I worked for VCA for 5 years. 4.5 years in management position and never broke 14 dollars. Low pay was the least of the issues. Staff errors overlooked and not taken seriously. This job was like babysitting and management had no initiative to change anything. Turnover rate is so high because management is terrrible. But hey the discounts are GREAT. We got 75% off of vet services and discounts on boarding. Not worth it though!
Pros
Discounts on vet care and pet boarding
Cons
Lack of recognition, low compensation, management
Absolutely horrible place to work!
Csc/tech (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 19, 2016
I worked here for 2 years. It was great until the new management came along. She was a horrible person and let's face it has no business working for a veterinary clinic, the chief of staff is a very cranky money hungry man. The original staff that had been there for a while all left because of these problems. This is a horrible place to work. I'm sure some are okay but I will never recommend this company. It's a shame because I loved my job. Oh and they never give raises.
Pros
Good discount for your pets
Cons
No breaks
Look Elsewhere!! (Former Employee)
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GASeptember 20, 2016
This is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. I was there for less than a month and was ready to leave after my second week. The turnover rate is ridiculous and the management is HORRIBLE! You are overworked for low compensation. Management speaks to you as if you are beneath them and no matter how much you bring certain issues to them, nothing gets fixed. I dealt with racial issues from a few of the coworkers, two being managers.
There is no real organization in the facility. Worst part is the favoritism that is shown and lack of recognition.
Pros
Hmmmm...
Cons
Compensation and Management is horrible!!
Fun at The Beginning.
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLMay 1, 2016
Do not work here! When I shadowed for the job before I was hired I was shown a totally different work process & work ethic than truly exists. Management speaks to you in a condescending manner on a regular basis. Gossip throughout the hospital. Multiple people calling in sick. Expect to be short staffed every single day & take up the slack for everyone else. Disparity of treatment is constant & rampant. Disgruntled employees complain constantly. With almost 3 years of employment I have not even received a $1.00 raise. Only a few cents. Look elsewhere for a job... I am. As soon as I find one I am leaving.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Poor management, Favortism, High turnover, Poor Training, No communication between departments
Good company, mostly good vets, although some had bad people skills.
Vet Technician (Former Employee) –  Alhambra, CAJuly 10, 2016
VCA Mission Animal Hospital & VCA Santa Anita were wonderful to work for. It depends upon the veterinarians & staff how your experience is. My staff was great, although a couple of the vets that came through were tough to work for. But people retire or move & employees have to adjust. Most vets love animals & genuanly want to help them & their owners. It's hard when the cost of treatment is sometimes rediculously high & owners can't aford it. Some VCAs are much better to work for than others. I enjoyed my time with the company & made good friends.
Pros
Helped animals, educate customers, good staff
Cons
One bad veterinarian, push to sell services at high prices, small pay raises
BEWARE, very cliquey
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 15, 2016
the Vca I'm at is VERY cliquey, management praises bullies, I havent worked with this company for long (about 5 months) and I've seen everything from bullying to favoritism. when u bring these concerns to management they blow you off completely and are so naive and swear that there is no bullying or favoritism. the whole time I've worked here, I've gotten bullied by the ""big dogs"" meaning the employees that have worked with the company for years, my supervisor loathed me and called me into the office atleast once a day by my 5th day working there about how my job performance sucks!! in my opinion I don't think a supervisor or manager should be complaining about someone's work performance on the 5th day of them working and STILL training!!! my supervisor trained a girl that started a week before me, and I noticed that she showed her way more stuff than she showed me. the hospital manager basically backed the supervisor up and together they bullied me till they took me completely off of the front desk receptionist schedule and placed me in the back of the hospital doing kennel work. I then later found out that the hospital manager hired one of her family friends and she had a secret agenda all along to place me in the kennel area to bring her friend to the reception desk and take my place. since I've gotten hired, I definitely was not given a fair chance. this company is cut throat. BEWARE!!!
Pros
70% discount
Cons
cliquey, bullies, bad management, cold hearted cut throat people
Any vca but benicia
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Benicia, CASeptember 29, 2016
I was with VCA: Benicia (#525 so you're warned) under a year; and what a joke. The general hospital manager is either stepped on like the rest of staff, or get favored by the upper area and district managers. The medical director who was there 14 years quit due to, for lack of a better term; HORRIBLE management. Coworkers had affairs in the hospital, knowingly among ALL management, who provided no disciplinary action whatsoever.
DO NOT BELIEVE ONE WORD FROM MAYA DONNELLY NOR CAMERON EASTON'S MOUTHS.
Maybe somewhere far away, another VCA is able to teach and care for their employees. But the VCA branch of Benicia, CA seems to take full advantage of ANYONE who's heart is truly in the veterinary field of work.
Pros
Free animals. They don't care.
Cons
VCA. Forreal.
Awful. Horrible. Run.
CSR (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 27, 2016
I've been working for VCA a little over a year. The pay sucks, the management is a joke and they don't care about you. Manager caught embezzling but did not get fired. Look elsewhere!
Pros
Cons
Slave wages, horrible management
Bad work environment
Lead Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  OklahomaMarch 20, 2016
I worked for VCA for 12 years, granted it was not VCA for a few of those years but it was the same employees and management staff. The people are rude and the hospitals are very "clicky". A certain group of employees would wear a certain color shoe and everyone that had those shoes stuck together while everyone else wasn't cool enough to be their friends. It was like being in high school and the Dr.s participated also. The company will lie to you to get you to do what they want but never deliver. As far a the medicine side goes, I do believe they are a good hospital. They do a lot of new procedures and have capability to diagnose serious cases, etc. the work environment is the problem and it's not just at one hospital, it's at most. Hopefully somewhere in their thousands of clinics, they have decent people making work life happy and fun. Most of my coworkers have also left VCA since I did.
Pros
Lunch provided for meetings
Cons
No breaks, low pay, high benefit costs
Money making is priority 1, they can control your success
Associate Veterinarian (Former Employee) –  Dover DESeptember 30, 2016
As a veterinarian things started out great as I covered a clinic alone even though I was relatively new to private practice (research background). They were waiting for an already hired vet and actually hired me sight unseen over the phone. Upper management complimented me for 'hitting the ground running'. Compensation was good including my travel time and expenses as this clinic was 70 miles from home. I then took a job as associate in closer 3 doctor practice (that really could only support 2 doctors imo).I was there for one year and saw 2 doctors leave. They controlled appointments assigned to you to keep you from making enough for the promised bonuses. I wasnt kept busy as i wanted but had no control over that. Majority of appointments went to primary hospital vet (forget name for that position). He used to be the practice owner but now has new younger wife with 2 young kids....they even took surgeries away from me eventually to give to him and I had 8 years of highly technical surgical experience in research and 2 years at a part time practice! Don't get me started on the practice manager....horrible. when she decided it was time for you to go, she would trip you up, look for excuses, give you less and less appointments, especially after I finally made the bonus, that is when they hired a 3rd vet that we didn't even need! I was hired the same way to replace another associate vet I found out. I could see the writing on the wall so packed my things that day she wanted to 'talk' and to this day still do not know if I was laid off, fired, or quit! How I went from 'golden'  more... to that in a year is beyond me. Average length of time for an associate vet there is a year. One excellent tech came back on the condition she only had to deal or communicate with the head tech and never the practice manager directly. I went to work at the previous part time practice full time and when he sold to the vet whose job I took at vca I left sfter 8 months for my present boss and have been happy there for over 5 years. Btw I can't recall my salary so guessed.  less
Benefits
Cons
Poor management, did not allow me to operate at my ability and potential, terrible practice manager and money driven
People not doing their job, constantly changing work policy
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenacres, FLJuly 18, 2016
Do not work here! When I shadowed for the job before I was hired I was shown a totally different work process & work ethic than truly exists. Management speaks to you in a condescending manner on a regular basis. Gossip throughout the hospital. Multiple people calling in sick. Expect to be short staffed every single day & take up the slack for everyone else. Disparity of treatment is constant & rampant. Disgruntled employees complain constantly. I only worked here for 3 months and I did not learn anything because of the miscommunication. Oh and I can not forget the lunch and learn, they tell you to clock out for your lunch and then sit to learn about some product or anesthesia that does not pertain to you. The whole time you're not getting paid for learning what they want you to learn and the food they get you its pizza, really I rather get my own food away from this place and at least enjoy my lunch. I had high hopes for this place but I guess I learned my lesson. Please read the reviews before you aplly for VCA.
Pros
You get a discount for your pets needs
Cons
Everything, people not doing their job and blaming others
Vca is a horrible Corporation that only cares about profits, not animals.
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Hells Canyon, NMJune 1, 2016
Horrible place to work. Terrible management. Could not even order the supplies needed. For having billions of dollars our hospital never had anything needed. The ladder of idiots in the upper management have no clue how to run animal hospitals. They hire doctors with such little experience that it takes them 4 hours to complete a dental! And close to 2 hours for a spay?? If you don't have any dignity and like to be pushed around this company is definitely for you.
Pros
Not really any...
Cons
Horrible doctors, (Davis) terrible hours, only care about money not pets or owners.
Registered Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKSeptember 18, 2016
I have worked at the VCA in Edmond for about 6 months. This is a great place to work. The people really do care about you and everyone gets along most of the time (life happens so getting along 100% never happens). I completely recommend this place. I am a technician but all positions are great if you have a good attitude about working hard.
Pros
Great atmosphere and great people to work with.
Cons
Can be stressful at times but what job isn't.
Low compensation
Animal Care Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 26, 2016
For the amount of work that every employee performs, the compensation is paltry. Depending on patient volume, a typical day can be very boring or extremely hectic. Management varies from hospital to hospital.
Beyond words
Kennel Attendant (Current Employee) –  Indio, CAJune 6, 2016
Please do not subject yourself to working for this cutthroat company. Management does not care. You will be treated like dirt.
Pros
Great pet discount
Cons
Minimal pay, awful management, unsafe conditions
Vca
Formal technician (Former Employee) –  delaware ohioDecember 31, 2015
I totally agree that VCA companies don't appreciate there employees. The management is bad because the schedules always changing. They can't even hire people for kennel so your technicians that went to school to be a tech has to do kennel. Hiring people that can't even work poor hiring.
Pros
Insurance and benefits
Cons
Lack of pay, poor scheduling and poor management
Most rewarding but challenging job I've ever had.
Client Service Representative/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILMarch 10, 2016
Working with animals was great, and the highlight of the job however the nepatism runs great. If you're a relative of the mangers you'll go far, if you're not you're completely screwed and will never advance.
Pros
Working with pets and getting to know their owners
Cons
Nepatism, long hours, absolutely no work/home life ratio
money hungry corporation that doesn't care about employees
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  OhioMay 5, 2016
If you're looking for a job in the veterinary field, do yourself a favor and don't work at a VCA unless you want to be under paid, not appreciated, belittled and pushed to sell mediocre VCA-owned products over great products made by other companies just so VCA can make more money. They don't care about people's animals, they only care about money.
Pros
corporation-wise there are no pros
Cons
low pay, poorly managed, selfish corporate office
Good work environment but lack of opportunity for advancement
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 27, 2016
Fast pace work environment that keeps you on your feet, but often keeps you late or after closing. Most enjoyable part of the job is the animals and the clients.
Workplace culture and Management are HORRIBLE!
Kennel Assistant/ Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Larchmont, NYJanuary 21, 2016
I worked in the worst VCA hospital ever in Larchmont, New York for 2 years!

I was two positions in one, Kennel Assistant/ Veterinary Assistant. At the time I was hired, I was given both job descriptions, getting paid $10 per hour to do both and would only schedule 1 assistant at a time.

The management knew I was in school to become a Vet Tech (I am licensed eligible) but instead promoted another employee who was hired after me to technician. Apparently, he had more experience - he was an assistant for 7 years, but did not know how to draw blood, give vaccines, etc. They are training him to do it and he is not even license-eligible.

The technician supervisor will randomly put you on the schedule e.g. when someone is on vacation and not inform you in advance. Management has no respect for employees and there is no work life balance!

The technician supervisor barely trains anyone. We ask her questions but it would also be nice of her to initiate.

There was also a lot of nepotism. The technician supervisor promoted her friend to (non license eligible) technician as well even though he was in college for a totally different major.

Management give roundabout answers when it comes to asking what is expected of your position. "It's not my job" is inappropriate to say, but then again certain positions can only do certain things especially when it comes to administering medications even to boarders.

If you want experience in the field especially in kennel then apply. I was able to get my experience in the veterinary world here then move on to a better company.
  more... Otherwise, do not waste your time.  less
Pros
great job for first timers in the animal field especially for kennel assistant
Cons
poor management, horrible scheduling, not knowing what is expected of you, etc.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VCA Antech, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3