VCA Antech, Inc. Employee Reviews

Excellent Doctors
Kennel Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 17, 2017
The doctors that work here are wonderful and always are very attentive to the clients and patients alike. Work environment was mediocre, but manageable.
Good benefits
Pet Groomer (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHJanuary 12, 2017
Made some good money and was an excellent employee. But the atmosphere with what was happening day to day with the staff and certain incompetent employees made my job more difficult and their company policies and regulations were overseen. There were many times things were brought to the attention of the manager and nothing seemed to change.
Pros
Good clientele and good marketing through vet and boarding
Cons
Cliques, management not up to par, expressed concerns never valid.
bad training
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MAJanuary 3, 2017
Good place to work, but they dont train you correctly and i was constantly getting yelled at for things i was never taught
Pros
good benefits
Cons
undertrained, poor staff
been good
Customer Service Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Monrovia, CADecember 12, 2016
• Composed, typed, and edited correspondence.
• Answered phone calls and directed them to the appropriate department and/or individual with a great level of customer service.
• Scheduled meetings, conference calls and maintained work calendars for multiple managers.
• Maintained a filing system.
• Created purchase orders and check deposits for invoices.
• Handled confidential client information.
• Worked directly with the Director of the department to complete and coordinate various tasks assigned.
Enjoying people that I work with.
RVT/Technician Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 5, 2016
I love the people that I work with and I love learning. I wish there was more of an opportunity to advance but I am highly depended on and that makes me feel like I'm doing something good in my life. Taking care of animals the right way!
Pros
Steady work
You get what you give
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Laguna Niguel, CAOctober 24, 2016
VCA Antech purchased my hospital 2 years ago. My first impression was overall fantastic- the corporate management and employees were very supportive and incredibly friendly. Having the resources of specialists and other VCA hospitals nearby allows us to better perform for our patients and clients. Negatives include the inability to fire incompetent staff, low pay with little possibility of raises, and in some cases, job stagnation. Although I do like the company as a whole, I genuinely wish they would focus their funding on marketing and supporting their already-existing hospitals, rather than purchasing new hospitals in the same vicinity.
Pros
Network, job security, mandatory lunch breaks, benefits(although expensive)
Cons
Low pay, little to no chance of promotion, increase in prices
Money making is priority 1, they can control your success
Associate Veterinarian (Former Employee) –  Dover DESeptember 30, 2016
As a veterinarian things started out great as I covered a clinic alone even though I was relatively new to private practice (research background). They were waiting for an already hired vet and actually hired me sight unseen over the phone. Upper management complimented me for 'hitting the ground running'. Compensation was good including my travel time and expenses as this clinic was 70 miles from home. I then took a job as associate in closer 3 doctor practice (that really could only support 2 doctors imo).I was there for one year and saw 2 doctors leave. They controlled appointments assigned to you to keep you from making enough for the promised bonuses. I wasnt kept busy as i wanted but had no control over that. Majority of appointments went to primary hospital vet (forget name for that position). He used to be the practice owner but now has new younger wife with 2 young kids....they even took surgeries away from me eventually to give to him and I had 8 years of highly technical surgical experience in research and 2 years at a part time practice! Don't get me started on the practice manager....horrible. when she decided it was time for you to go, she would trip you up, look for excuses, give you less and less appointments, especially after I finally made the bonus, that is when they hired a 3rd vet that we didn't even need! I was hired the same way to replace another associate vet I found out. I could see the writing on the wall so packed my things that day she wanted to 'talk' and to this day still do not know if I was laid off, fired, or quit! How I went from 'golden'  more... to that in a year is beyond me. Average length of time for an associate vet there is a year. One excellent tech came back on the condition she only had to deal or communicate with the head tech and never the practice manager directly. I went to work at the previous part time practice full time and when he sold to the vet whose job I took at vca I left sfter 8 months for my present boss and have been happy there for over 5 years. Btw I can't recall my salary so guessed.  less
Benefits
Cons
Poor management, did not allow me to operate at my ability and potential, terrible practice manager and money driven
Any vca but benicia
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Benicia, CASeptember 29, 2016
I was with VCA: Benicia (#525 so you're warned) under a year; and what a joke. The general hospital manager is either stepped on like the rest of staff, or get favored by the upper area and district managers. The medical director who was there 14 years quit due to, for lack of a better term; HORRIBLE management. Coworkers had affairs in the hospital, knowingly among ALL management, who provided no disciplinary action whatsoever.
DO NOT BELIEVE ONE WORD FROM MAYA DONNELLY NOR CAMERON EASTON'S MOUTHS.
Maybe somewhere far away, another VCA is able to teach and care for their employees. But the VCA branch of Benicia, CA seems to take full advantage of ANYONE who's heart is truly in the veterinary field of work.
Pros
Free animals. They don't care.
Cons
VCA. Forreal.
Awful. Horrible. Run.
CSR (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 27, 2016
I've been working for VCA a little over a year. The pay sucks, the management is a joke and they don't care about you. Manager caught embezzling but did not get fired. Look elsewhere!
Pros
Cons
Slave wages, horrible management
Look Elsewhere!! (Former Employee)
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GASeptember 20, 2016
This is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. I was there for less than a month and was ready to leave after my second week. The turnover rate is ridiculous and the management is HORRIBLE! You are overworked for low compensation. Management speaks to you as if you are beneath them and no matter how much you bring certain issues to them, nothing gets fixed. I dealt with racial issues from a few of the coworkers, two being managers.
There is no real organization in the facility. Worst part is the favoritism that is shown and lack of recognition.
Pros
Hmmmm...
Cons
Compensation and Management is horrible!!

Want to know more about VCA Antech, Inc.?

Ask a question
Registered Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKSeptember 18, 2016
I have worked at the VCA in Edmond for about 6 months. This is a great place to work. The people really do care about you and everyone gets along most of the time (life happens so getting along 100% never happens). I completely recommend this place. I am a technician but all positions are great if you have a good attitude about working hard.
Pros
Great atmosphere and great people to work with.
Cons
Can be stressful at times but what job isn't.
BE WARNED! Look elsewhere if possible
Client Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 22, 2016
Be prepared to work hard with very little recognition and low compensation. Management also very poor. I could write a novel here but seriously look elsewhere if possible! I worked for VCA for 5 years. 4.5 years in management position and never broke 14 dollars. Low pay was the least of the issues. Staff errors overlooked and not taken seriously. This job was like babysitting and management had no initiative to change anything. Turnover rate is so high because management is terrrible. But hey the discounts are GREAT. We got 75% off of vet services and discounts on boarding. Not worth it though!
Pros
Discounts on vet care and pet boarding
Cons
Lack of recognition, low compensation, management
Good work environment but lack of opportunity for advancement
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 27, 2016
Fast pace work environment that keeps you on your feet, but often keeps you late or after closing. Most enjoyable part of the job is the animals and the clients.
Absolutely horrible place to work!
Csc/tech (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 19, 2016
I worked here for 2 years. It was great until the new management came along. She was a horrible person and let's face it has no business working for a veterinary clinic, the chief of staff is a very cranky money hungry man. The original staff that had been there for a while all left because of these problems. This is a horrible place to work. I'm sure some are okay but I will never recommend this company. It's a shame because I loved my job. Oh and they never give raises.
Pros
Good discount for your pets
Cons
No breaks
People not doing their job, constantly changing work policy
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenacres, FLJuly 18, 2016
Do not work here! When I shadowed for the job before I was hired I was shown a totally different work process & work ethic than truly exists. Management speaks to you in a condescending manner on a regular basis. Gossip throughout the hospital. Multiple people calling in sick. Expect to be short staffed every single day & take up the slack for everyone else. Disparity of treatment is constant & rampant. Disgruntled employees complain constantly. I only worked here for 3 months and I did not learn anything because of the miscommunication. Oh and I can not forget the lunch and learn, they tell you to clock out for your lunch and then sit to learn about some product or anesthesia that does not pertain to you. The whole time you're not getting paid for learning what they want you to learn and the food they get you its pizza, really I rather get my own food away from this place and at least enjoy my lunch. I had high hopes for this place but I guess I learned my lesson. Please read the reviews before you aplly for VCA.
Pros
You get a discount for your pets needs
Cons
Everything, people not doing their job and blaming others
BEWARE, very cliquey
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 15, 2016
the Vca I'm at is VERY cliquey, management praises bullies, I havent worked with this company for long (about 5 months) and I've seen everything from bullying to favoritism. when u bring these concerns to management they blow you off completely and are so naive and swear that there is no bullying or favoritism. the whole time I've worked here, I've gotten bullied by the ""big dogs"" meaning the employees that have worked with the company for years, my supervisor loathed me and called me into the office atleast once a day by my 5th day working there about how my job performance sucks!! in my opinion I don't think a supervisor or manager should be complaining about someone's work performance on the 5th day of them working and STILL training!!! my supervisor trained a girl that started a week before me, and I noticed that she showed her way more stuff than she showed me. the hospital manager basically backed the supervisor up and together they bullied me till they took me completely off of the front desk receptionist schedule and placed me in the back of the hospital doing kennel work. I then later found out that the hospital manager hired one of her family friends and she had a secret agenda all along to place me in the kennel area to bring her friend to the reception desk and take my place. since I've gotten hired, I definitely was not given a fair chance. this company is cut throat. BEWARE!!!
Pros
70% discount
Cons
cliquey, bullies, bad management, cold hearted cut throat people
Good company, mostly good vets, although some had bad people skills.
Vet Technician (Former Employee) –  Alhambra, CAJuly 10, 2016
VCA Mission Animal Hospital & VCA Santa Anita were wonderful to work for. It depends upon the veterinarians & staff how your experience is. My staff was great, although a couple of the vets that came through were tough to work for. But people retire or move & employees have to adjust. Most vets love animals & genuanly want to help them & their owners. It's hard when the cost of treatment is sometimes rediculously high & owners can't aford it. Some VCAs are much better to work for than others. I enjoyed my time with the company & made good friends.
Pros
Helped animals, educate customers, good staff
Cons
One bad veterinarian, push to sell services at high prices, small pay raises
Beyond words
Kennel Attendant (Current Employee) –  Indio, CAJune 6, 2016
Please do not subject yourself to working for this cutthroat company. Management does not care. You will be treated like dirt.
Pros
Great pet discount
Cons
Minimal pay, awful management, unsafe conditions
Vca is a horrible Corporation that only cares about profits, not animals.
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Hells Canyon, NMJune 1, 2016
Horrible place to work. Terrible management. Could not even order the supplies needed. For having billions of dollars our hospital never had anything needed. The ladder of idiots in the upper management have no clue how to run animal hospitals. They hire doctors with such little experience that it takes them 4 hours to complete a dental! And close to 2 hours for a spay?? If you don't have any dignity and like to be pushed around this company is definitely for you.
Pros
Not really any...
Cons
Horrible doctors, (Davis) terrible hours, only care about money not pets or owners.
money hungry corporation that doesn't care about employees
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  OhioMay 5, 2016
If you're looking for a job in the veterinary field, do yourself a favor and don't work at a VCA unless you want to be under paid, not appreciated, belittled and pushed to sell mediocre VCA-owned products over great products made by other companies just so VCA can make more money. They don't care about people's animals, they only care about money.
Pros
corporation-wise there are no pros
Cons
low pay, poorly managed, selfish corporate office

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VCA Antech, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4