VCU Health System Employee Reviews

Company and fellow employees is amazing to be around and work with.
Valet Attendant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 15, 2017
The management there is great. They fully understand the companies goals short term and long term. They treat everyone as an individual and team. They understand every bodies strengths and weaknesses.
great place to work
Clinical Nurse III, (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 4, 2017
I have worked at VCU through being a nursing student to a seasoned nurse on my unit. Very nurse-centric culture, including week of the nurse and certified nurses day.
Awesome team work and dedication!
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 28, 2017
Such a great place to work, awesome people however benefits were not good! I have never worked for a place that worked so well together as a team in order to achieve a common goal. When patients being very sick, the team is very strong in there work ethic and to ensure patients are well taken care of!
Overall Experience
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 28, 2017
My work experience working at VCU Health System was an overall great experience for me.My department in the health system was The Children's Hospital of Richmond, where I grew to cherish life more but as well a life of a child. Witnessing that different procedure young child and their families has to go through were at times better than others. The most enjoyable part the job was bonding with the kids and me becoming attached to get each family and child each and everyday I came to work. The time I was employed, the management was very hard to get I touched with. My usual schedule was a 12 hour night shift 3 days out of the week. Even when I did happen to work a day shift was not easy to express concerns and give your opinion without via email. The workplace was very up lifting during the weekdays but when it becomes night shift or weekends it was a very noticeable difference.
Pros
Healthcare, EdAssist
Cons
Pay rate
Good work balance
Medical Coder II (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 27, 2017
Fast paced company. Deadlines to meet.
Friendly and good work balance.
Great benefits and a very frindly caring atmisphere.
Pros
Team Work
Cons
Time off during the busiest times
Great Company
Training & Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 13, 2017
Exceptional company with excellent opportunities to advance into a career of your choosing. Many exciting things happening at this organization and you won't want to miss out on being a part of this team.
Pros
coworkers, compensation, benefits, fulfilling work
Cons
Productive and fun working environment
Adult Day Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 12, 2017
Enjoy working here. Getting the opportunity to use and learn new skills everyday. Being able to interact with individuals from the community is a great thing. Working at VCU has allowed me to engage with so many new faces.
work place is nice, Friendly & A Big Campus
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 2, 2017
Everyday is busy, Always patient's to help. Many different cultures.
Have not had any problems with management. I've learned IDX & Cerner systems. The hardest part of the job is nothing. Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people.
Clinically assess nutritional needs of patients
Dietetic Intern (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 2, 2017
Very good internship and learned a lot and got many experiences. Will prepare me for a job. I recommend it for all to apply.
Good work environment
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 21, 2017
Heavy upper management. Too many chiefs. People seem to get a long pretty well. I have seen some shouting matches between management and staff on the hallways.
See previous (duplicate)
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 8, 2017
See Previous . Best part of day was always working with my team members and assisting patients and families throughout their continuum of care needs.
Pros
co workers
Cons
pay
Rewarding Career but Difficult to Advance
Senior Managed Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 5, 2017
In my current position it is challenging but rewarding. VCU Health System will pay to higher your education but I find it difficult to move up for advancement.
Very unprofessional management
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 2, 2017
I worked as a Patient access rep for about 6 months. My co-workers were fun to be around. The atmosphere was somewhat unprofessional. The manager was ghetto and moody. Alot of gossiping, rumor spreading, looking at patient charts for their own personal knowledge. Some of the nurses were very rude at times. Working at VCU is like working at Grand Central Station. Lots of people everywhere constantly...especially in the ER. Can be quite exciting in the waiting room when patients have sat for hours waiting to be seen by a doctor. The pay is pityful, and the facility as a whole is very dated.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
short breaks, pay is aweful, unprofessional atmosphere
Fast Paced Environment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 27, 2016
I worked in the Nelson Clinic Ob/gyn clinic. Very high paced clinic. A typical work day would be to review the patient schedule for the day and meet with the provider whom I was directed to work with for the day. My co-workers were very supportive and very enjoyable to work with. The hardest part of the job was dealing with abusive patients. The most enjoyable part of the job was patient care.
Pros
Paid Time Off hours
Cons
pay to park
No versatility
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 27, 2016
I worked at the above facility and learned a significant amount as a student and the transition into a Respiratory Therapist. VCU is definitely a great place to learn.

On the downside departmentally is had a significant amount of issues that were never addressed. Some of those issues were investigated by HR however, to no avail the end results claimed to have no findings of discrimination within the department which was falsified. There was definitely multiple evident disparities within the department among the Afro-Americans and Caucasians. Management showed favoritism towards their Caucasian counterparts. There was no room for Supervisory advancement or assistant to progress for African Americans within their Respiratory Department.

The good thing VCU offered despite the interdepartmental concerns was the diversity throughout the hospital and the great people who worked at the institution.
Great company poor management
Medical Coder (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 13, 2016
Great benefits - poor work life balance. Very difficult to take any time very cut throat when it comes to policies and procedures and not a lot of oversight by HR
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
poor life balance
No work life balance
Dietary Aide I/Diet Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23298December 2, 2016
Though the health care benefits as an employee of VCU Health Systems is exceptional, there has been little to no work-life balance. With 300+ hrs of pto, time off is often denied. Consistent staff shortages create even more stress in the workplace. I have learned how to work with different personalities, mostly unprofessional. Also, I have been able to gain valuable clerical skills that I hope to develop under another company that values their employees.
Endoscopy Nurse
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 30, 2016
I work in the Endoscopy department the management is so poor run by the wrong person, the manager talks about all her staff to one another then when ask her about it she denies it..... management don't give good reviews for others looking for another job within the last year almost 10+ nurses have come and go....this unit need to be investigated the manager always telling us how to do our job when she don't know how to do the job nor do she help out when we are short staff.... coworkers are amazing and pretty much everyone feels the same way about the department... I wouldn't be surprise if everyone leaves the department at the same time๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Pros
Learning experience is great
Cons
You never know what time you will get off work, under paid, over worked
Great place to work.
Patient Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 10, 2016
Great place to work, awesome coworkers. Great benefits, Huge campus , very clean and beautiful facility and helpful people. Good food choices.
Benefits
Cons
parking is not that great.
Its a nice place to work....
Storeroom helper (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 20, 2016
Come to work on time and dont call in to work.....I been work for vcu Health System for 16 years and it is a good copy to work for the pay is good and the people that work are nice to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VCU Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

VCU Health System Reviews by Location