VCU Health System Employee Reviews

Extremely rewarding environment to work in
Patient Services Supervisor, Senior (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 11, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working at VCU Health System. It was inspiring to be a part of cutting edge medical advancements and see my team's thrive. I miss the medical working environment every day.
Pros
respectful teams
Cons
parking
IF you know what's good for you bypass this company
Employee (Current Employee) –  South Hill, VAFebruary 11, 2018
The management is horrible. Unable to provide answers, lacks management experience, culture, diversity, culture and work ethic. High turnover rates.
Pros
Cons
everything
Advancement
Valet Attendant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 31, 2018
The department that I worked for did not promote women. Anyone that came after I did he would promote I was never considered for advancement. Also, hiring ages under 25 they did not want to work. Management never did anything to fix it.
Pros
great hours
Cons
healthcare
nice place to work
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 30, 2018
VCU is a fast past company to work. representatives from across the university who advocate and inform staff and provide professional development opportunities
Awful Manager and Team Lead
PAR (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 30, 2018
Fast paced. Unprofessional Ghetto team lead. Manager and team lead were buddies so there was unfair treatment. Enjoyed the job itself loved the patients.
Pros
Benefits are great!
Cons
poor management, unprofessional, disorganized
RN, acute care
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 30, 2018
Management isn't visible and takes a lot of time off, which doesn't make me feel like they are supportive of bedside nurses. The job has good patient ratios, up to 4, but the patients are very sick and sometimes it takes a fight with doctors to move them to a more appropriate level of care. Nurse residency program isn't very useful and the clinical ladder is difficult to navigate, some units don't let you advance until year 2 or after.
Pros
Nurse:Patient ratio
Cons
Pay for parking, nurse residency
Not a good fit unless at least a BSN
Transporter (Current Employee) –  Vcu healthJanuary 5, 2018
Have worked for VCUHS for a couple years. Management in my department don't listen well, and seem to not follow their own STAR service. Anymore patient care takes a back seat seat to just processing patients and getting them out as quickly as possible to get more insurance money. Employees who get in the way of that are dinged in their job reviews. Everythibg is about metrics. Work to metrics, treat to metrics, work on patient throughput.
There is no balance. We have to schedule our times up to a couple month ahead, yet a manager can make last minute changes and all our plans are messed up. We are called in at last minute but again, have to ask for a day off two weeks or more in advance. Tenure gets you everything, as well as being a " squeaky wheel". Do a great job, be dependable, hit all your metrics - and you still make the same as a coworker who chronically comes in almost late, doesn't do there job and is always calling out or dictating their special hours to management.
Degrees will get you somewhere, but if you are not interested in nursing management or a medical career, you will not get anywhere with any other type of degree.
Pros
Great medical, good benefits
Cons
No work life balance
Management is blind
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 4, 2018
Management is more concerned with being your friend than actually being a manager. Techs get away with anything and everything. If you’re foreign you can get on the 12 year training program and never have to worry about losing your job. No one ever follows the rules and customer service is non existent. You’ll also never move up as there is nowhere to go.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
VCU is an amzing institution, with great leadership, patient centered care, and many opportunities for growth.
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 29, 2017
I have been introduced with many educational opportunities, I love the patients, and the physicians. VCU has Equipped me with the knowledge and the skills to further my education and career.
Benefits
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 27, 2017
The benefits are great at VCUHS. The only downside (depending on department) is the need for flexibility to work holidays and weekends. It can become frustrating, only downside.
good company, horrible managers and supervisors
Imaging Specialist/ Professional Courier (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 15, 2017
Too much talk talk drama and favoritism. Managers and Supervisors really have their "click" and if your not in it and brown nose or is a different race then you definitely are not in their "click" and you will get harassed. But know your rights and stand up for yourself and they will fall back a little.
Pros
vacation time, medical benefits
Cons
pay, superiors favoritism and racism
Very good to work at.
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 11, 2017
Great team members and very fun to work at. There are not too many days where I don't feel like coming in. Everyone does their job wonderfully and works to help the entire team succeed.
Very productive, diverse, busy
Admin. Asst., Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 11, 2017
Constantly busy and productive throughout entire shift. Family oriented. Numerous activities for employees. Very diverse community including employees and patients. A teaching hospital.
Pros
benefits, advancement, pay, long lunch and breaks
Cons
employees having to pay to park
educational and magnet hospital
Neurosurgery Intensive Care Unit Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 7, 2017
I feel I enjoyed being a nurse the most while being employed by VCU. I was given many different roles in advancement. I was encouraged and supported by my managers. I observed excellent team work for all areas providing patient care.
Pros
everything a nurse would want from an employer
Cons
parking
Work in progress
Transplant Billing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 7, 2017
Company is going through a lot of changes that I hope will improve employee training, morale, and satisfaction. I've been fortunate enough to move through positions and gain valuable knowledge and skills.
Benefits
Cons
poor direction
Unstable and not ready to move on to current tech
Webmaster/Digital Strategist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 5, 2017
Very disorienting. Lack of communication and 20 years behind this time at 2017.

IT needs an upgrade. IT and helping clients are 20 years behind systems compared to other health care
Benefits
Cons
Bad IT management
Under paid
Material Management Technician (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 4, 2017
The employees work hard and aren't appreciated. The hospital pays way unless than the surrounding hospitals for the same position. Management is unorganized and all over the place. There is definitely NO GROWTH within the company unless you are buddies with higher management. They will hire outside of the company before promoting within. Truly the worst place to work in health care.
Pros
Cons
Long list of things, but most important...LACK OF PAY
Stressful place to work with little to no understanding from management
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 3, 2017
Poor management, favoritism toward certain employees. Not job advancement. Too much stress, have to pay for parking. Not a fun place to work at, at all
Pros
Rapport with certain parents and teachers
Cons
Paying for parking, Poor management
Too much like high school
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 1, 2017
Too much drama most of it starts from your supervisors, unprofessional and ghetto managers, too much favoritism, too much disrespect and always short.
Pros
I left
Cons
Stressful, nosy coworkers
Certified medical assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 31, 2017
VCU is a good place to work with awesome benefits but the pay sucks unless you have some type of degree and even then it's still not enough. Quite a few people I know work a second job just to make ends meet. Advancement opportunity is available because its such a big place to work and many departments to work in.
Pros
Many opportunities
Cons
Pay for parking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VCU Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

VCU Health System Reviews by Location