VCU Health System

VCU Health System Employer Reviews

Hostile work enviroment, incompetent supervisors
PSR (Former Employee), South Hill, VAJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: fair pay
Cons: intense work, poor managemnet
The clinic I worked had incompetent supervisors who show favoritism to certain employees. If you were willing to back stab, lie and chase them with your nose up their butts you were fine. And never complain about safety or inappropriate behavior you would be black balled!!!!
Challenging and Rewarding Work Experience
Care Partner (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 2, 2015
I worked in the Neurosurgery Unit at VCUHS. This was a difficult and rewarding unit. We provided care to a variety of patients and their conditions and did so alongside highly skilled co-workers. I enjoyed my time there.
Bureaucracy
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee), Downtown RichmondNovember 5, 2014
Pros: tuition reimbursement
Cons: low pay, bureaucratic, poorly managed
This instutition focuses more on procedure than being concerned about logic and efficiency. Co-workers have been employed for years, yet haven't advanced. Senior employees were not trained for the advancing technology. Coming from another hospital, I was shocked by the hand-me-down equipment.
Many offices have no windows. Lack of concern for individuals because there are 10,000 employees. Pay rate is ridiculously low. They created their own insurance, which is quite pricy if you include any family member--only insurance option.
I noticed some positive reviews, which makes me believe these folks have never worked in another hospital. VCU Health System is poorly run and nobody cares about you.
Good office experience
Patient Representative (Former Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 31, 2014
Pros: good office experience
Cons: no cons.
lot of computer experience work in Microsoft word, answering phones and taking messages, filing, xeroxing, doing the mail, ordering supplies, running errands.
Everything was fine
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 30, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: short lunches
Everything was alright. Good doctors and nurses to work with!
easy to get the hang of. very welcoming and helpful in many different ways .flexible and understanding
Valet Service (Former Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 23, 2014
I would recommend this job to someone who works hard . this job in not just a job where you can just sit around must be willing to get your job done at all times .
Great learning environment and room to continue in the healthcare profession
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 3, 2014
Work for me is a great environment that offers constant opportunities. A typical day at work is exciting and you never know what might come your way. I work with Pediatrics ages 0-5 and I love it. I have learned so many things under the nurses I work with everyday. Management is easy to talk to and they try to do what is best for their employees. My co-workers are very easy to get along with and offer help when needed. The hardest part about my job is watching sick children sometimes. The most enjoyable part of my job would be caring for children everyday, I absolutely love them. A job that lets you hold babies all day is great.
Productive Health Care environment to work with flexible hours.
Senior Manager (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJune 20, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: na
Overseas daily operations of VCU Health System mobility projects, which include, but are not limited to: compliance with operational policies and procedures, reconciliation of budgets, completes all tasks according to the project plan and ensures all new hires complete all mandatory required training. Acts as primary IT liaison to senior leadership to ensure IT incidents and inquiries are addressed and resolved. Provides monthly status updates to senior leadership and stakeholders on IT metrics (e.g., data breaches, incidents resolved, incidents outstanding, new projects, roll-offs, budget, etc.). Effectively demonstrate technical and project management skills in implementing projects and troubleshooting applications for end users. Reports directly to Associate Chief Information Officer and President of Practice Plan.
• Partner with contracts and procurement manager and saved VCU Health System 60K per year on Verizon bill.
• Implemented iPhone project plan and successfully migrated 600+ Physicians from BlackBerry devices to iPhones.
• Customized daily reporting on status updates of projects for management for the purposes of tracking processes and raising issues or concerns regarding completion of assignment
• Partnered with other functional areas for the purposes of monthly updates on operational effectiveness resulting in fostering a compliance mindset throughout the operational areas
Its a job
Dietary Aide (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJune 15, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: so many people come and go
Management doesn't help or care about you. They will say one thing and do another. They will lie to you in your face
Totally Dependant Upon Area and MANAGERS!!!!
VCU (Former Employee), RichmondJune 6, 2014
Pros: doorman, co-workers, healthcare
Cons: pay vs skill, managers
I found that my time working at VCU, specifically Training, to be interesting to say the least. Advancement within that area is impossible. But would you really want to stay there?

The skills required on the job posting and in the interview versus what really was needed - yeah HUGE disconnect.

The managers tend to be passive aggressive at best when they have problems - which is unfortunate. An 'under our thumb' management style with obnoxious undercurrents makes for crazy seas ahead. Bring your wetsuit and 'thick skin' when they start rolling out the 'its just business, not personal' jargon. Right...yet some of the conversations and interactions say otherwise.
(reading out ER charts from the computer to the whole office and messaging them - I'm sure that is a big privacy violation there)
I could go on but really its not worth the effort.

The only saving grace in this department are the other trainers and the doorman. (yep, you read that right!) They seem to have similar struggles with management on a daily and weekly basis as well. There is a theme here...

Save yourself and your sanity by applying somewhere else. This one particular branch of VCU Health System was very 'we will help you and make your experience great' but ultimately it failed. The company is not private and in this case it shows. It seems to be that ill trained managers who are inappropriate are just put up with in a system that encourages tenure more than skill.

As someone who is not new to the workforce, I did learn a great deal of how not to be a manager. When my time comes to guide a team - I will remember everything Training instilled in me and do the exact opposite.
Room to advance and encouraged to progress
Registered Clinical Nurse II (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMay 17, 2014
Pros: educational advancement
Cons: strict attendance policy
VCU Health System, recognized as a Magnet hospital, encourages advancement in education and clinical position. A great place to grow in skills and knowledge. New attendance policy is strict. No longer have a 7 minute window allowed for time. If clocked in 1 minute after schedule time ,it is counted as late. Two late entries equals one occurrence/absence. Also only allowed 8 occurrences per rolling year.
Depends on the work unit
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Richmond, VAApril 23, 2014
Pros: don't know of a single "pro" from my time at vcuhs. i was miserable every day.
Cons: pay and benefits meager. it's non-profit.
There are 9,000 employees at VCU Health System. I know many who love it, many who go to work every week for a paycheck and can't wait to go home. My co-workers and I were daily frustrated by a manager who was unclear and unspecific in giving direction, upset and frustrated when we could not guess at her meaning, she would change priorities on a dime and be angry when assignments before the sudden changes weren't completed. She seemed overwhelmed by her role and became even more anxious when a new manager appeared who she reported to, with no known recruitment or foreknowledge. I felt sorry for her, and she made her employees feel her sorrow. On the other hand, I met some of the smartest and most enthusiastic co-workers I've encountered in my work life (in a parallel work unit). And everyone I worked with (except the unit manager) has left. I've seen job postings for months and months and months to refill the positions -- not sure what that's about. WIsh I'd have landed in one of those units where employees were well-managed and enjoyed their jobs. I'm so, so glad to be out of there.
Ensuring outstanding service to patients and family
Receptionist in Bone Marrow Clinic (Former Employee), Richmond, VAApril 19, 2014
. I worked with an interdisciplinary team of professionals such as nurses, doctors, social workers, dieticians and other support staff.
Productive and Fast-Paced
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 19, 2014
A typical day in the Anatomic Pathology Department is very fast-paced from answering calls whether it's doctors, patients or outside facilities either requesting biopsy results, scheduling FNA biopsies, or surgical pathology slides. This actually is the first position outside of my field (accounting/finance) that has been very interesting and educating. The hardest part is learning some of the medical terminology. The most enjoyable part of my job is the fact that I'm able to assist and satisfy patients or individuals who call or request for pathology slides.
excellent for advancement
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 17, 2014
Pros: learning is encouraged
Cons: parking
Need to find a way to not to pay for parking. Need to make pay according to cost of living,
Fun place to work
Temp Scheduler (Former Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: lunches, team building meetings
Cons: sedentary position, only one 15 minute break
A typical day at work was answering phone calls from patients and scheduling according to their healthcare needs. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to help a patient who was sick and getting them an appointment to be seen. The hardest part of my job was telling the patients if there wasn't an available appointment within the timeframe they requested.
Wonderful
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 13, 2014
awesome place to work, great work environment, wonderful people to work with!
A few great Doctors and Front Desk Staff
Patient Service Rep. 3 (Former Employee), Richmond VA.December 22, 2013
Pros: some free lunch
Cons: often no breaks
Former Patient Service Rep.3 the medical ctr. have the worst Sr. Supervisors/Nurse Managers they like to micro manage the front desk staff if you aren't in the click of favorites you will loose your job. some of the front desk staff work in a very Hostile work environment. if you contact employee relations for help your days will be numbered at VCU Medical Ctr. Perhaps more training is needed for the sr. supervisor's nurse manager's and employee relations staff.
Every Day Is A New Discovery.......
It is a learning and rewarding facility to work at.
Medical Records Clerk (Current Employee), Richmond, VADecember 9, 2013
I typically start my day scanning in documents for our clerical staff and clinics. I assist our patients with their requests, answer phones, copy requests that come through the printer, as well as answer phones. I enjoy my job. I have been in medical records for 6 years. I started in 2005 as a sterile tech. I enjoyed assembling all surgical sets. It was really a learning experience to utilize all of those instruments in one setting. I love my co-workers, without them I could not accomplish what I have achieved all of these years. The hardest thing is the patients that don't communicate well and tell you what they need. It can be overwhelming at times. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting the staff and the patients. Some patients are very sweet and they appreciate what we offer to them. I am very sharp when it comes to customer service. It is my responsibility to our patients or anyone for that matter to serve and do it with a smile. I try to serve with humility and trust, to show them our patients we care and we are concerned about them. Thank You.
Just a little above okay.
Dietary Aide (Current Employee), Richmond, VaNovember 27, 2013
Pros: pay, opportunities, location.
Cons: lack of care for employees.
I've worked for the VCU Health System for about 5 months. There are many opportunities to advance within the company. My biggest issue with the Health System is that they don't really show much concern for there emplyoees.

About VCU Health System

Our Caring Service Begins with Me. This is our common purpose and it is our passion. It's visible in each of us every minute of – Read more