VCU Health System Employee Reviews in United States

stable job in healthcare
Intake and Referral Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 21, 2016
Provide administrative support to department through appointment scheduling and patient billing. Also in this particular position, you are the point of contact for the Health System EAP benefit so, you field crisis calls to set up consultative services. The hardest part of the job is the day to day stress of working in a field where the patients are not happy and services are very limited in access. The most enjoyable is when you are able to help someone access services and provide relief to patient and/or their family. VCU Health System is mainly located in downtown Richmond, Va. With that being said, working in an urban environment is not for everyone. Parking is not compensated for by the company and the employee is responsible for the cost.
Pros
job stability
Cons
management, location, parking, compensation
Awesome workplace for any mother
PATIENT ACCESS REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 27, 2016
Very Flexible company for parents, daycare center located across the street from the main hospital. Majority of co-workers are wiling to help and plenty of advancement in any field you choose. Some hands on training.Reason they have been my only employer since I moved to Richmond, 8 years ago.
Pros
awesome benefits with several vendors in the surrounding area
Cons
no paid time off. you have to use your own PTO even for major holidays
a very friendly and accommodating environment
licensed practical nurse lpn (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 13, 2016
I have learned from staffs and visitors that vcu do not hire LNP. Is that right why and why not? Also vcu has a job position for lpn posted on indeed is it real? And if real, what will the LNP be doing , differently from the RN?
Pros
breakfast available and free coffee at all day to the staff
Cons
lunch break should be paid for instead of it being deducted off your cheque
the main kitchen is a HORRIBLE place to work!
dietary aide 3 (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 20, 2016
You have to work 12 hour shifts while working three different floors with little to no help. Management is horrible and not trustworthy. Co-workers gossip more than they work. But if you work really hard you have plenty of opportunity to grow within the hospital.
poor working environment and management
analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 9, 2015
In enterprise analysts department, it is not real healthy working enlivenment, although it is seems to be, because there is a manager whose daily tasks are monitoring each person's everything, and then, behave as a reporter to the director. And this director will make decision based on her voice. Lots problem can happen due to this kind of situation.
Cons
many passive aggressive people
Fun place to work
Care Partner/Certified Nurse's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 30, 2015
It is a fun place to work. Occasionally it can feel like a dysfunctional family, or like high school but, it is a fun and exciting place to work. It has helped me pay for over half of my tuition and has given me an edge in the job market.
Pros
Tuition Assistance, experience/exposure
Cons
Medical hierarchy
Excellent place to work!
Registered Nurse - Clinical Nurse III (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 27, 2016
Management is dedicated to the advancement of all employees and a good work/life balance. Can't say enough good things about VCUHS!
Great place to work!!!
Nurse Manager of Acute Care Medicine (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 23, 2016
An organization that strives for excellence. Great for working mothers and those who are trying to develop themselves professionally.
Coworkers are great but management lacks big time
vcu team member (Current Employee) –  vcu health systemMay 25, 2016
I've been here for 5 years. The benefits here are amazing. Can't really beat them at all. My coworkers, for the most part, are great. I think we have to ban together to deal with the mess that is the managers. They are all older and stuck in an old school of thought. They, for the most part, tell you one thing and then turn around and do something else completely different. I've been told by my manager before that my position isn't hard and has never/will never add up to anything like her position. It is frustrating and makes people feel like they don't matter. There are SOME opportunities to advance, but only to the discretion of the manager over you.

There is a horrible work/life balance in my area due to being severely understaffed. If you are on call, you will have to come in and stay.

If you want great coworkers and want to work in a challenging (in a good way) environment, this is for you. If you want to have a job where you feel appreciated by your manager, this is not for you.
Pros
Co workers are amazing, benefits are awesome
Cons
managers are dated and don't appreciate you, work/life balance is rough
Medical breakthroughs and bureaucratic inertia
Unit Secretary, Operating Room (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 16, 2015
Literally working in a place that SAVES LIVES and LIMBS! Impossible to overstate how important the work here is. At other times, it can be mind-numbingly boring. Management does not have high enough expectations of clerical staff, so many live down to lowered expectations. Hospital management does not discipline ANYONE, so people can and do get away with rampant absenteeism, slackness, and sadly, incompetence and even defiance.
Always an Awesome Day
Front Desk Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 2, 2015
I love working with the public. I always wear a smile in person and over the phone. This comoany is a great place to work with.
Pros
Team oriented
Cons
Not enough hours in the day
Vcu experience depends on your department
EEG Technologist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 24, 2016
Hopefully you'll have a great manger and get to enjoy working here, Vcu has great benefits and the pay is enough to to keep you comfortable in the city, the hospital loves its employees and they show it. Nice employee safety and health fairs , free flu shots, and lots of free VCU gear. VCU is a big part of Richmond and you'll gain a lot of exposure and experience in this busy hospital. Smart , intuitive, and competent staff work here. You can trust the medicine here.
I had a not so great management team in neurology , the schedule was the roughest. The bottom line was the important thing , not the technicians . There's a team of two in neurology tech management that has been doing things the same for a long time, are trusted absolutely by the physicians and it's going to stay that way until they retire. Frequent on call and rotation , cut throat competitiveness, and general misery abounds. They do use collodion, and one tech still used this chemical while pregnant! ( I don't know if she was scared to refuse or what)
Complaining will get nowhere , and you'll be a pariah for doing so . So come here , just not as a EEG tech.
Pros
Benefits, great Vcu environment, experience gained
Cons
Some bad managers stay longer than you can
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 13, 2015
Very busy clinic environment. Phone ringing, checking in patients and checking them out. Fax machine constantly ringing. A message pool that has to be worked and charts to be prepped.
Radiographer
Health Care Specialist Radiographer (Former Employee) –  x-ray departmentOctober 29, 2015
Enjoyed helping patients who were afraid of being at the hospital, keeping them calm while x-rays were taken. Loved getting to know patients and their family.
Most Departments are flexible with working parents
Medical Coder II (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 12, 2015
Love working at VCU! Most departments have flexible scheduling for non clinical/non essential areas. And even those areas that do have essential personnel, most often can arrange there schedule to meet there needs.
Typical day for me starts with coding medical records and ends with coding medical records on a daily basis. VCU supports my educational needs 100% with paid tuition and reimbursement.
The hardest part of my job is making sure I abstract all information from the medical record and code properly, the most enjoyable part of my job is working with such a diverse group of individuals who are very professional and and mature.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, free parking
Cons
Wish this was a 100% remote possition
Productive and exciting place to work !
Valet Attendant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 7, 2015
meeting new people
how to work together as one
Caring
Fun, outgoing
the weather
making the customers happy

I enjoy coming to work at vcu because of the customers as long as their happy then im happy.
Pros
benifits, people are always happy
Cons
short breaks, being to hot, being to cold
Fun place to work and not too stressful
Cytotechnologist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 6, 2015
On a typical day at work I screen FNA slides, Non-GYN slides, and GYN slides under a microscope looking for cancerous or abnormal cells. We also go on FNA procedures and obtain specimens that we make smears of from the aspirates or needle core biopsies.
Pros
Benefits and PTO
Productive very good enviroment
Sterile Processing Assistant (Current Employee) –  VCU health System,Richmond VAJuly 11, 2015
VCU Health system is a very good environment to work in.It provides job security, its a teaching and learning work place.I have learned in growth from working in this hosiptal.
Pros
bonus
Cons
short breaks
Productive and busy workplace
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 29, 2015
Busy and productive. See a large amount of patients, register patients, demonstrate customer service skills. Helping the patients and providing the service to make them feel better is such a great feeling.
Pediatric Administration is HORRIBLE
Divison Admin (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 25, 2015
The doctors I worked with were awesome.

The main pediatric administration people were horrible. They are gossipy and act like they are still in high school. They are lazy and keep transferring more and more of their job duties to the division admins, which leads to the question: What DO they do all day? They come in late and leave early and take long lunches but heaven forbid you don't respond instantly when they email/call you. The most frequent answer when you ask a question is "I don't know" They make things extremely difficult for the admins and doctors. TBH I don't know how they keep anyone there.
Pros
the medical staff is wonderful
Cons
extremely low pay, parking is expensive