VCU Health Systems Employee Reviews

Excellent Place to Work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 30, 2016
I would recommend this as a place to work. I worked here for many years. I enjoyed my job and the people I worked with. Family oriented place always felt at home here.
Productive, amazing, great benefits
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 20, 2016
What a great place to work. I had great managers and worked with great physicians. The training and advancement opportunities are bountiful.
Pros
Training, advancement
Cons
Downtown have to pay for parking
Nice place to work for
Transfer Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 16, 2016
Decent place to work for depending on what department you work in. They have excellent benefits.I recommend this place to work for
Amazing Facility and Workplace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 25, 2015
A great workplace that is focused on the education of staff and students vs the "numbers". Innovation at every turn. You are still going to see some red tape and hassle from the "higher up" but overall it is a great place to work every day.
Pros
Teaching hospital
Cons
missing lunch breaks
VCU Health Systems is a wonderful environment to work in along with my co-workers.
Collector B (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 25, 2015
Fun work place that helps you grow and develop personally.Enjoyable colleagues to work with as well. Always very educational.
Very caring people who place the patients first
Unit Secretary, Cardiac Surgery ICU (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 26, 2015
The unit where I work is very busy. The nurses and physicians do amazing things to help the sickest of patients. The hardest part is saying goodbye to family members who have lost a loved one. They become part of our family. My favorite part is assisting these families and making a difference in their lives while their family members are in our unit.
Ok place to work not a lot of room to move up
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 22, 2014
Works well for my family as far as the hours I work. I work three days a week 12 hour shift which gives me four days off. It is hard to move up as far as money in position wise. I have been here for over seven years and have not had a huge jump in salary due to the policy they have on the annual reviews which does not give a huge increase. The benefits are good and the amount you pay out is ok but it increased every year since I been here. The policy changes that they implement seem to not work well with people who have small children at home as far as the call outs and coming in late. Overall it is a ok place to work but not great
Pros
benefit cost
Cons
annual increase
I enjoy working in the healthcare field.
Patient Account Legal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 4, 2012
My responsibilities include processing self-pay accounts for legal action. Prepare warrants in debts for court proceedings. Respond to personal inquires in a timely manner. Assist Attorney General’s Office with questions and or concerns and serve as a witness in legal proceedings for the Hospital. Answer phone calls from attorney’s offices, patients, and or guarantors
Pros
the benefits and education
Cons
turnover in patient accounting
Traffic
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond VaMarch 31, 2015
The hospital is located in the heart of downtown Richmond parking can be very congested at times, but working in this environment is a wonderful experience you see and learn some on a daily basis I would trade that experience for nothing. The work is pleasant.
Pros
Great food vendors
Cons
parking
Very difficult floor with higher and higher patient acuities
LPN (Former Employee) –  Acute Care MedicineNovember 14, 2011
VCU was an excellent place to work when I started there. The benefits were excellent, and you had a feeling of belonging and security. As an LPN, that has changed. Now VCU seems to be set on RNs only for patient care with LPNs being only in clinics. That left me feeling very vulnerable and insecure. Immediate management did little to ease those fears and feelings.
Enjoyable company to work for.
Cost Reporting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 7, 2015
The work environment is very relaxed. My co-workers are awesome and great to work with. The most difficult part of my job is the lack of training.
Pros
Great Benefits, Co-workers and Salary
Cons
Training
Great place
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  richmond,vaApril 17, 2015
Great place for learning and career opportunity. The company is all about educational and inspirational advancements with the focus on the customer. Good family values and understanding for the employees that are here at the health system.
Patient care tech 7p-7a
Care partner (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 19, 2014
Worked on Ortho Trauma unit, I mostly did vital signs, 1:1 care, ADL's, lite housekeeping, transport patients to and from procedures, specimen collection, documentation, assist RN with patient with any and all necessary issues/ concerns, patient care, etc.
Pros
Educational, benefits
Cons
Unfriendly environment staff/patient
A good place to work with great my life benefits
Inventory Technician (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 29, 2012
I have worked for this company for 3 years and I would like to continue to work for this company. But, they have so uch room for advancement as long as you have a degree in certain fields, so I am working on gettingb thoses degrees.
Pros
good benefits, end of year bonus
Cons
mandatory overtime
Very good place to work with room for moving up
Perioperative Support (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 10, 2015
Very good place to work with room for moving up. I would recommend any person to apply to work for this company. Everyone is helpful and wiling to teach and learn.
Drawing blood and collecting specimens steadily
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 13, 2013
Drawing blood and other specimens and labeling them correctly
Learned how to organize and correct specimen collection vials
management was not at locations as much as needed
Some co-workers needed more guidance
Pros
meeting patients
Cons
lack of proper management on site
Flexible
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 9, 2013
A typical work day is unpredictable. It's a healthcare industry, therefore; no one day is the same while working with patients. I've learned how to put my managerial skill set into play. The most difficult part of my job is being involved with people during resuscitation.
VCU Health Systems is Great!
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond,VAJune 11, 2014
I would highly recommend the VCU Health Systems as a great place to work overall. I do have a difference of opinion regarding the specific department that I worked for. I also was not a big fan of the leave policy that was in place.
Overall it's a great place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 1, 2013
VCU Health Systems is a great place to work. You have opportunity for advancement in many areas. They allow you to receive education once at no cost once you have been employed for a year.
Pros
Insurance benefits
Cons
You have to pay for parking
Flexible work schedule, educational
Childcare Teacher/ Aid (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 3, 2015
Flexible working environment, primary research, monthly meeting to report progress, learning to digitize essential information for easy acess

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VCU Health Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2