VCU Health Systems Employee Reviews

Unit Secretary positions are under paid and under appreciated
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 8, 2017
nothing to say except that I worked very hard for the Unit Secretary position and was not compensated enough for this position. Unit Secretary positions are under paid and under appreciated.
Pros
can't think of any
Cons
no lunch or no breaks
Great Benefits and decent pay
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 28, 2017
To be completely honest the worst part of the job is dealing with the different types of people that are serviced in this very urban busy hospital. Everywhere you go there are some people that are just mean, but know that working here folks are going curse you out, but most people genuinely need and want help. There is nothing management can do about some things short of putting up a bullet proof glass. It's a good place to work, management is pretty caring and willing to help, however if this is an option for you will need to put on your thick skin!
Pros
Great real world experience, excellent benefits
Cons
Harsh environment, poor parking options
Good Starting Point for Young People
Patient Access Rep (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 20, 2017
It is a good starting place for a young person just starting out. It is not a place for a career in Customer Service. The pay is not competitive and the raises are minimal.
Pros
Good Health Coverage
Cons
Short breaks, weak raises
Cool place to start
Transfer Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 15, 2017
Job would be awesome if they were to pay more.. The tuition assistance is awesome. Also i was able to get down payment housing assistance for being a first time home buyer me and my wife since we are employees..
Pros
good family time
Cons
Low paying and raises are worth nothing
Fun place to work/ awful management
RVT (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 14, 2017
VCU is a great place to work. Very fast paced atmosphere. Management doesn't really care about you, only if it affects them. You aren't appreciated like you should be.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Terrible Management
stressful
sterile tech processor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 21, 2017
not enough employees for the volume of work.the pay doesn't coincide with the amount of work.supervisors don't help out. there is no team work within the department.
Busy and Constant
VCU Transport (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 18, 2017
Meetings the needs of the American people by providing a parking service for their vehicles. We greet, assess the customer with whatever help they need, from there we drive the cars to the parking deck for proper parking. Once completed, I walk back to the loading and unloading area to obtain another vehicle.
Pros
Discounted Items
Cons
Not enough pay and high taxes
Job Security
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 17, 2017
depending on the department, it can extremely slow or extremely fast pace. It really all depends on the department and your management team. I love my job, I just needed more money.
benefits
Cons
salary
Awesome job!!!
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 13, 2017
My experience here was rewarding and made me feel like I was a part if something much bigger than myself. I learned a lot of new things and enjoyed working with the staff and patients.
great
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 9, 2017
Great job to work for and has a great work life balance. It is also has commute expense pre- tax deduction and helped me earn my way through school. I would work for them again
Learning experience, teaching hospital
Care partner (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 11, 2017
Being a nursing student i learned alot working at vcu,very fast pace, every situation,and patient was different, diversity of employees,I believe employees are u under payed.
Administrative
Administrative Assistant Senior- Surgery (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 3, 2017
The most enjoyable part of this job is the vast knowledge you receive from working in a diverse environment. You speak with doctors, patients, pharmacist on d daily basis.
Pros
Diverse environment
Cons
parking
Unproductive and treat patients horribly
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 8, 2017
Many of the nurses hate their jobs and call patients crackheads, drug addicts. They access inmates to see the crimes they have committed before they provide patient care. HORRIBLE!
Pros
uncultured, filthy, mean nurses, poor management
Cons
Godd education system
Productive work day flow daily
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 24, 2017
Working at VCU health systems is very productive and fun. I have learned a lot about pulmonary. They are a learning hospital and also they do not belittle you.
Pros
They teach you what you need to know about your scope of practice.
Cons
The cons are limited 30 mins lunch breaks and parking.
Great Teaching Hospital with Great Benefits
Registered Nurse, Clinical Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 28, 2017
VCU Health Systems is a wonderful environment in which to learn and really become an accomplished bedside nurse. VCU Health Systems is recognized as a Magnet hospital and encourages advancement in education and clinical position. It's a great place to grow in skills and knowledge.
Pros
Great employee benefits
Cons
Frequently understaffed
Excellent place for Mothers to work
Patient Access Supervisor/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 6, 2017
Great company to advance in. I love my job because no day is ever the same. Each day I am presented with new challenges and situations, which really helps me to stay focused and interested. I also enjoy being able to be as creative as I can.
Great balance of benefits and work/life culture
Inventory Technician-OR Implant Coordination (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 4, 2017
Great environment for parents and young adults looking to build a foundation in their careers. Great benefits and great balance of work/life culture. Flexible scheduling
Pros
benefits, flexible schedule, work/life balance
Lack opportunity for growth
Medical Coder (Current Employee) –  Medical CoderJanuary 24, 2017
Pay is less than the market value, antiquated systems for employees (high tech for patients - a good thing) Few people have to much say as to who will move or be promoted, etc. Do not value current employees, not interested in retaining their talent, always looking to hire from outside. Much turnover.
Pros
Employed
Cons
low pay
Wonderful Place to Work
Valet Attendant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 16, 2017
This diverse company largely provides growth opportunities for employees. The benefits are amazing, leadership is amazing, and the overall culture is a pleasure to work in. Full of diversity, VCUHS stands on its values and driven mission to provide STAR service. Definitely recommend individuals to this company.
Job not as advertised
Financial Reporting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 5, 2017
Job ended up as administrative position, instead of analytical. Very disappointing culture and benefits, no paid holidays, all in all very poor job experience.