VCU HEALTH Employee Reviews

VCU Health is a decent place to work depending on the dept you are in
Medical Technologist II in Microbiology Immunology (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 17, 2018
VCU Health is a decent place to work depending on the dept you are in. Microbiology Immunology is managed poorly and there is a lot of secrets and micro-managing. Changes are made without the input of those actually doing the work and there seems to be little regard for work life balance. Hard to go to HR and complain because people have been for the last 5 years and nothing has changed
Pros
Coworkers are awesome
Cons
management is poor
Vcu
Child Care Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 11, 2018
For a child care center, this seemed to be very unorganized and under staffed. I found myself often working overtime because management did not provide proper coverage.
job that gave me friends for life
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 30, 2017
I was given the chance to learn many different things. With VCU, I was able to continue my nursing career. I was given the opportunity to better myself.
Fast Paced
Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 15, 2017
If you enjoy working and dealing with quotes. This may be an environment you enjoy. Very rewarding helping and extending your kindness and comfort to the ill.
fun place to work
Patient Access Representative Supplemental (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 4, 2017
Fun place to work, Great TEAM WORK, Wonderful staff, nurses and Doctors are very nice and support the patient access reps as well as the nurses. The clinic feels like close knit family
Pros
everrything
Cons
nothing
Fast paced environment
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 29, 2017
All the front desk staff enjoy the work environment. I have learned new medical terms and how to be more empathetic with patients. The hardest part is not being able to schedule a patient an appointment that was promised by a nurse but was given away by mistake.
Pros
great physician and nurses
Cons
facility is always cold
Patient Access Rep (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 11, 2017
My typical day at work depending on the day could be stressful, but I try not to let it bother me because at the end of the day, patients need to be scheduled in a timely fashion. Hardest part is trying to meet everyone's demand on what time the appointment should be etc
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management/Pay rate
My co-workers are wonderful people. It was time for me to move on and fully utilize my talents and education elsewhere.
Registered Nurse CHOR- Pediatric Neurology Clinic (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 30, 2017
Although I enjoy working in a clinic environment, there were few opportunities for me to grow professionally at VCU. I realized it was time for me to move on and utilize my talents somewhere else in the community. I would like to take advantage of the education I have achieved to help veterans in our community.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers and cohesive team work
Cons
Paying to park, fighting traffic daily to commute to downtown Richmond is stressful
Wonderful company to work for
Patient Transaction Supervisor SR (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 28, 2017
Great place, casual but fast paced. I've learned many programming and reporting tools (Access, Tableau, Cognos, GE IDX) and month end financial processes. Management is heavy, but we are currently going through restructure. Hardest part of the job is the added staff and responsibility without compensation as we work through the restructure. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with and the mission we work towards.
Benefits
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 2, 2017
Job offers excellent benefits (health, maternity and school reimbursements, etc). Amazing people. The culture for admins is pretty good. Everyone works together and assist if it's needed.

Just being honest, starting pay is not good for people in this role. Wish they valued admins more and compensated equally to like positions in the area. Pay can be from $10-$15.00 an hr. A plus to the poor pay, their benefits are great. They provide education assistance so if you are looking forward to attending school while working, this is a great place to start. It's also easy to move up. There are a lot of internal positions here so once you've been here a year or two there are plenty of opportunities to move to another role/department. Most managers want you to grow and find your fit and will work with you either with going to school and giving you a little flexibility with your schedule or giving advice on getting into a new department. This may vary depending on your position and manager.

You will have to pay for your parking. If you choose to use VCU/VCUHS' parking, money will be deducted from your paycheck every pay period. If you choose not to use VCU/VCUHS parking you will have to get in early to find parking somewhere downtown, which is a pain in the butt. VCU provides a shuttle system, however they are slow. If you decide to take the shuttle you will need to take into account 10-15 extra minutes everyday to get into work and getting back to your car.

Random: If you are a mother and plan on breastfeeding and need a pump room...it can be difficult here. The hospital
  more... literally only has (2-3 rooms available) - which isn't a lot at all when you have 11,000 employees here. There aren't enough rooms, there's always a line during peak times.  less
Pros
Diverse work force (good people work all around you), Health benefits, Education reimbursement program
Cons
Pay is low, parking is terrible
Good place to work for benefits but pay is horrible
Assistant Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 25, 2017
Not a bad job on paper but really out of touch management in place, room for advancement but unfortunately only for those who are buddy buddy with management get the positions even though they may not be deserving
Pros
good benefits, quick paced enviornment
Cons
low pay, bad management, tough schedule
Productive work Place
Pediatric HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 16, 2017
This is a great place to work. great benefits and job security. I would highly recommend the health system. If you are relocating to Richmond and want to experience a great work environment, then this would be the place.
Pros
Great place to Work
Cons
management needs more engagement with staff
great workplace
Program Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 11, 2017
great diverse place to work. learn something new everyday. everyday is something different. great benefits. flexible work schedule. not much room for growth if you dont have any clinical experience.
n/a
Clinical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 3, 2017
Working at VCU is not bad, especially for new graduates. However, the pay is low compared to other health care facilities and you have to pay for parking.
Pros
n/a
Cons
Low pay
Busy but Educating Atmosphere
Clinical Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 22, 2017
Critically Ill patients, lots of physicians, nurses, interns and residents working together. Organized chaos at times. Lots of trauma, and critically ill medical patients.
Pros
Insurance, Education benefits
Cons
High Stress
VCU Health
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 24, 2016
The company is good for the most part especially with the insurance. It is hard to get in contact with someone in HR. It is just hard for someone that is internal to transfer. I feel like nobody wants to give internal people a chance.
Benefits
Cons
Advancement
Overall
Insurance Verification Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 6, 2016
The health systems is great to work for. The flexibility is amazing and so are the benefits. The department itself is great. I enjoy working for the health systems
Excellent Place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 30, 2016
I've been working there for a few years now and I have no complaints. Excellent place to work. Friendly staff and patients. I enjoy my job and meeting new people.
To them just an employee
Dietary Aide 3 (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VirginiaSeptember 18, 2016
Working in food and nutrition department was anot experience. The management cared about themselves and would change the schedule without you knowing. They are definitely unorganized and don't appreciate their employees at all but overwork them. If they are short staff(which is always) you will have to work 2 or more floors. The patients appreciate you more than your department does. They will deny your vacation time because they don't have coverage. You work 12 hrs a day. Oh, if you try to apply somewhere else within the hospital they'll deny your request. It's a bunch of drama.
Pros
Coworkers are good team players
Cons
Over worked and unappreciated
Fun yet challenging. Room to advance. Ability to rotate.
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAAugust 30, 2016
I am glad that I have the opportunity to be with such a dynamic company. A teaching hospital which specializes in growing its employees. Diverse and pleasant atmosphere.
Pros
Benefits are amazing. Fun atmosphere. Room to advance. Free schooling after a year
Cons
N/a