VCU Employee Reviews

fun
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 9, 2017
A typical day at work consists of working together as a group to find solutions to different problems. I learned a lot about biology in the medical field even though I was there to apply my engineering skills. The workplace culture is very diverse.
Friendly Staff But Was Soul Wrenching
Cage Wash Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 8, 2017
The work was dirty and required a substantial amount of physical and mental stimulation. The staff was very nice but people moved in and out of the job quite often.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
short breaks, odor, work environment
Great place to work.
Student Interviewer/Floater (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 8, 2017
I learned through VCU the psychology of children by interviewing them about violence and stress related topics. A typical day would involve going to whatever public school we were assigned to and setting up in the library or classroom. Once the computers were setup we would go the classrooms and get the kids that were on our list. The kids take the survey on the computer and once completed we would take them back to their class. The survey lasted about an hour.
Vcu health system
Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 27, 2016
Verify insurance via provider websites, phone and contacting patients for updated information. Probation period quotas must be met. Personal cubical and spacious.
Pros
hours of operation
Cons
Personal loud conversations
An overall desired place to work with great benefits.
Samuel, Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VASeptember 23, 2016
Great place to work, required training, busy and multi-tasking is a great plus and requirement. Co-workers are very helpful and waiting to give you the best care ever.
lack.of.pay
Environmental Service Worker (Current Employee) –  South Hill, VASeptember 12, 2016
I.enjoy.working.with.other.employers.at.VCU.I.enoy.working.with.doctors.and.nurses.enjoy.conversating.with.security.I.enjoy.the.friendly.environment.
Pros
helping.and.assisting.patients.
Cons
pay.is.low
IT Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 2, 2016
Worked here while I was at school at VCU good place to work with good blakcne with shool and work and they teach you a lot, also you do learn a lot so its good
good
best school environment for me
Student News Service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 1, 2016
vcu was great for me. i transferred a couple of times before eventually landing here. as for the news service, it was great. i made sure writers knew what stories to pursue and make sure they were on deadlines for stories. i also helped produce headlines.
Nice place to work
Student (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 16, 2016
Nice place to work and a nice place to obtain an education. Opportunities exist to attend courses for free while working full time. good training opportunities. VCU is a major source of jobs in Richmond.
fun, easy
Lab Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 20, 2016
I reviewed data and equations and kept stock of materials. Also made sure proper safety procedures were being followed.
Pros
pay
GREAT Talent, Technology, and patient care!
Executive Secretary - Main 5 OR/PACU (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 4, 2015
As a Level I Trauma Center and a teaching hospital, they have really great medical talent and cutting edge technology. The nursing staff in the OR and PACU (Post Anesthesia Care Unit) pay very close attention to patient safety and provide the very best level of care to ALL.

Things can get hectic at times, but everyone pulls together to do whatever has to be done. Patient safety is always the paramount concern while providing efficient and top-notch medical care.
Pros
Great co-workers and maintaining excellent standards
Cons
Constant traffic and interruptions in my office.
Great opportunity to learn more
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 18, 2015
You are encouraged to work hard and be a success. I am a PhD candidate with focus on Porous media and Multi-phase flow. VCU gave me the opportunity to grow a lot in my field.
I love the job I do and enjoy the people I work for
Medication Access Case Worker (Current Employee) –  South Hill, VAJune 26, 2015
I love helping people with their medication problems. I work well with the physicians and nurses and they respect my job. I enjoy the fundraising part of my job. I have to raise money to keep my grant and have to meet requirements set by the VA Healthcare Foundation.
Pros
Supportive administration
Cons
Pay scale is below normal
A consultation experience that allowed me to channel my love for writing and communication toward helping students
Writing Consultant/Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 9, 2015
I spent nearly two years working one-on-one with students to open up conversations about their writing. I held consultations with English language learners, graduate students, scholarship applicants, and even reviewed post-graduate theses in the sciences. Unlike my copy-editing experience, this position did not involve correcting grammar. We discussed the process of writing, responsible sourcing and citations, and how to shape their claims and evidence to communicate the most effective and direct argument.

Most of my co-workers loved the job as much as I did, and this led to a dedicated work culture. I worked as shift leader and the first step for troubleshooting technical issues with the online feature, and helped consultants handle hard questions of difficult advisees. As shift leader, I also led group meetings once a week to help train consultants. Once a month, all consultants had the opportunity to be part of large workshops that discussed relevant material, such as working with non-native speakers and adapting to different learning styles. The position was a rare opportunity to share my passion for writing and communication, and I'm fortunate I got to spend two years at the Writing Center.
Pros
great work environment, loved my job, chance to learn something new with every paper, fulfilling, weekly training sessions
Cons
management a little unorganized
fun work place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Global Education OfficeApril 28, 2015
Awesome place to experience various culture and the most enjoyable part of the job is the easy going coworkers and descent work environment.
Great job.
Information Officer B (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 21, 2015
I loved covering both campuses of VCU for the semi-monthly newspaper VCU Today. However, office tensions could tighten, as some of us were salaried (with benefits, like me), while others were not -- even though they were doing the same job.
Pros
Great job. Money. Benefits.
Cons
Unfairs to other workers doing the same job and no benefits.
Great Learning Environment
Microbiology Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 22, 2015
This job provides a unique environment in which to learn, master, and apply both basic and advanced laboratory skills in a research setting. Due to the research nature of this work, most work days are different depending on which project is on the agenda, however there is always the aspect of maintenance of the laboratory such as ordering of supplies. What I like most about this job is how much freedom there is to give input on the direction of projects and brainstorming creative ideas and solutions with my principal investigator.
Pros
Research
Cons
Inconsistent schedule
A learning experience
Preceptorship (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 21, 2015
I helped professors put together tests for the students. I also held review sessions for the students before tests. I set up lab practicals and made powerpoints for histology lab lectures.
Great place to work for
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 18, 2015
Very flexible with my class schedule
Gave equal amount of hours per week among all students worker
Great communication among manger and student workers
Good environment
VALET ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 30, 2014
A day at work is running cars as fast as you can. What I learned was to keep a steady pace and the day will be better.The hardest part was walking to the the second parking lot ten blocks away.