VCU Employee Reviews

Vcu health system
Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 27, 2016
Verify insurance via provider websites, phone and contacting patients for updated information. Probation period quotas must be met. Personal cubical and spacious.
Pros
hours of operation
Cons
Personal loud conversations
lack.of.pay
Environmental Service Worker (Current Employee) –  South Hill, VASeptember 12, 2016
I.enjoy.working.with.other.employers.at.VCU.I.enoy.working.with.doctors.and.nurses.enjoy.conversating.with.security.I.enjoy.the.friendly.environment.
Pros
helping.and.assisting.patients.
Cons
pay.is.low
best school environment for me
Student News Service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 1, 2016
vcu was great for me. i transferred a couple of times before eventually landing here. as for the news service, it was great. i made sure writers knew what stories to pursue and make sure they were on deadlines for stories. i also helped produce headlines.
IT Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 2, 2016
Worked here while I was at school at VCU good place to work with good blakcne with shool and work and they teach you a lot, also you do learn a lot so its good
good
Nice place to work
Student (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 16, 2016
Nice place to work and a nice place to obtain an education. Opportunities exist to attend courses for free while working full time. good training opportunities. VCU is a major source of jobs in Richmond.
GREAT Talent, Technology, and patient care!
Executive Secretary - Main 5 OR/PACU (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 4, 2015
As a Level I Trauma Center and a teaching hospital, they have really great medical talent and cutting edge technology. The nursing staff in the OR and PACU (Post Anesthesia Care Unit) pay very close attention to patient safety and provide the very best level of care to ALL.

Things can get hectic at times, but everyone pulls together to do whatever has to be done. Patient safety is always the paramount concern while providing efficient and top-notch medical care.
Pros
Great co-workers and maintaining excellent standards
Cons
Constant traffic and interruptions in my office.
fun, easy
Lab Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 20, 2016
I reviewed data and equations and kept stock of materials. Also made sure proper safety procedures were being followed.
Pros
pay
I love the job I do and enjoy the people I work for
Medication Access Case Worker (Current Employee) –  South Hill, VAJune 26, 2015
I love helping people with their medication problems. I work well with the physicians and nurses and they respect my job. I enjoy the fundraising part of my job. I have to raise money to keep my grant and have to meet requirements set by the VA Healthcare Foundation.
Pros
Supportive administration
Cons
Pay scale is below normal
Great Learning Environment
Microbiology Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 22, 2015
This job provides a unique environment in which to learn, master, and apply both basic and advanced laboratory skills in a research setting. Due to the research nature of this work, most work days are different depending on which project is on the agenda, however there is always the aspect of maintenance of the laboratory such as ordering of supplies. What I like most about this job is how much freedom there is to give input on the direction of projects and brainstorming creative ideas and solutions with my principal investigator.
Pros
Research
Cons
Inconsistent schedule
Great opportunity to learn more
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 18, 2015
You are encouraged to work hard and be a success. I am a PhD candidate with focus on Porous media and Multi-phase flow. VCU gave me the opportunity to grow a lot in my field.
Great job.
Information Officer B (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 21, 2015
I loved covering both campuses of VCU for the semi-monthly newspaper VCU Today. However, office tensions could tighten, as some of us were salaried (with benefits, like me), while others were not -- even though they were doing the same job.
Pros
Great job. Money. Benefits.
Cons
Unfairs to other workers doing the same job and no benefits.
A great place to meet and make freinds of diffrent cultures and productive work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 19, 2012
A typical day at work was very busy at all times. What i learn was to get to know and understand differeant cultures, The managment was great at what they did. Some of my co-workers where great to work with while others where gave reasons to stay away from them and do my work. The hardest part of the job really was nothing at all. The most enjjoyable part of th job was working with different people and meeting new people as well.
Pros
meeting new people as well as learning new things.
Cons
was the over crowd od the shafer center sometimes.
Quiet, people oriented environment with the ability to help all levels of faculty, staff and students
Office Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 29, 2013
A typical day at work involved assisting the Office Manager with the maintenance of running the department. As the "go to" person for multiple responsibilities in running the office, the opportunity to provide assistance to all levels of staff was bountiful. As a supervisor, there exist the ability to mentor another person in office management and allow growth in this area. Through this job, I learned how to manage a mid-sized department, supervise others, and effective interaction with others.
Pros
quiet environment with opprotunities to grow professional skills
Cons
part-time position
Virginia Commonwealth University
Administrative Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 7, 2013
Troubleshoot PC's
Install PC's
On the job learning with Network configurations, Mail Clients, on the spot problem solving
Management was great very flexible
Co-workers were helpful and worked well with one another
Hardest part of job was making sure all sensitive material was transferred properly and in a timely fashion from PC to PC
Most enjoyable part of job was setting up appointments to fit my schedule during the work day
Pros
Flexibility
Management is racist and employee relations does not have the employees back because of the right to work law in Virginia.
Central Sterile Technician (Former Employee) –  Central Sterile ProcessingSeptember 28, 2013
Overall VCU as a whole is good for medical learning experience but you have those person who are in management that abuse the power that they have in a negative manner. Some co-workers will assist you in learning your job duties but you have others that will compromise your work. The hardest part of the job was taken the negative comments from the manager while the assistant manager stood by and allowed the belittling of the employees continue. The most enjoyable part of the job was those co-workers who were positive and about team work and not gossip or foolishness.
Pros
discounts, transportation
Cons
breaks, management
Product and fun workplace
Patient Care Specialist III/ Adm. Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 25, 2013
Register patients promptly using the IDX system, which was the first time i had ever work with programing. Verified patient’s eligibility from various insurance companies. Informed patients of insurance status, co-pays they may have and collected co-pays. Scheduled patient appointments following guidelines set forth by the clinic.
Great University
Administrative Assistant/Collections (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 21, 2013
Great University that help my jumpstart my life and career. The experiences that I encountered were great as well as the people I met. I was a business major and successfully completed goal there which was to graduate. I experienced issues while attending VCU, but through it all it made me who I am today.
A psitive working environment with a desktop computer on the table and a bunch of talented coworkers
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Virginia, USDecember 23, 2012
I work full-time as a teaching assistant in the department of chemistry. It normally starts from 8 am and go upto 6-9 pm depending on class schedule. At first, I check my official email to see if there is any important emails from the university or from my students. Usually, I read emails carefully from top to bottom and respond to them immediately. The most important thing, I have learned from this job is time management. A good time management allows me allocate time for my family as well as for the job. I have a number of coworkers most of them come from different cultural backgrounds. They are friendly and tend to get socialized easily. The hardest part of this job is grading the quiz or lab report. The most enjoyable part of this job is the opportunity to work with a number talented people.
Cons
primary healthcare
Fun Workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 19, 2012
Good Place for Internship or to start learning. It depends what professor are working under. Some professors are really helpful and some just helpful. I learned a lot of techniques for designing and how to work with project requirements during the internship.
Pros
worked from home most of the time.
Cons
not paid
Brand new Photography Art Gallery
Photography Senior Exhibition Planning Committee (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 6, 2013
I loved my experience at Candela. It taught me a lot about art administration and the art world. It gave me opportunities to communicate with artists, art directors, art leaders, etc.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VCU. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3