Vector Security Inc. Employee Reviews

Vector is a so so place to work.
Installer/Service Technician (Former Employee) –  OhioJuly 25, 2017
With Vector you will work long hours and have to constantly try to up sell the customers. You will be required to make daily leads and if you don't make them you will be reprimanded for it.
working in the mountians
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Hamlin, PAJuly 25, 2017
I enjoyed my job here I worked alone most of the time and it was okay. I worked in the cold in the Poconos so wore a jacket. the pay rate was well worth it.
Good job
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJune 27, 2017
Have no real complaints about the company itself. The issues I had were with the companies that would have our contract. When there would be an issue Vector would see to fix them.
Challenging, but fulfilling work
Emergency Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Warrendale, PAJune 21, 2017
A typical day at work involves spending 12 hours (3 - 4 days per week) sitting in a cubicle calling people when their security alarms go off to make sure they're okay & dispatching the authorities when they're needed. This is not a job for the faint of heart. There's a lot you need to know to be able to do it well (each alarm comes with a set of instructions, some of which can be very long and complicated and require a lot of detailed reading) and, while most alarms do turn out to be false alarms, every once in a while someone is in imminent danger. This means that the pressure to do everything quickly and accurately is huge in this job. It also means that the call center must be fully staffed at all times, so there is occasional On Call duty (usually about 2 days each month...not in a row), and also that it is hard to take a sick day.

Personally, I like a challenging job and I like to feel like what I'm doing is important, so I really like this job. I've worked in other call centers for other companies and absolutely hated it. But following complicated instructions and making sure people are safe is much more fun and interesting to me than listening to people complain about their utility bills all day.

The company often promotes from within so there is room for growth for those with an interest and work ethic. Most of the people in the department are very nice and I like the managers here more than I've liked any managers I've had at any other jobs. Since they were promoted from within, they have a much better understanding of our jobs than the management
  more... in most other places I've worked. I've seen some reviews that mention "favoritism", but the only "favoritism" I've seen is that the people who work the hardest, help their co-workers the most, and have a good attitude about coming to work get the most opportunities. I think that's to be expected, though. If you're not the putting in the most time and effort and doing the best work you're not going to get the most opportunities. They do make it easy to know how you're doing with monthly report cards and, while it's been a while for me since I was new & needed help, it seems like most people are really interested in helping to get new people up to speed with the procedures that need to be followed.

The hardest part of this job (and I know this has been said in other reviews) is that it can be difficult to have a good work/life balance. 12 hour shifts are LONG and pretty much no one likes having to work On Call Duty twice a month. Also, because we must be fully staffed, calling off is discouraged unless absolutely necessary (I don't think that's a bad thing...why call off if you don't have a good reason?). Technically the only "forced" overtime is during that twice a month On Call Duty, but there is often pressure to volunteer for overtime. On the bright side, there are bonuses for picking up overtime and for getting forced in when On Call. There are also incentives for good attendance.

It's not a great job for people who are just looking to phone it in and spend a lot of their day on Facebook. It's not a great job for people without a sense of urgency in their work or for people who are not very solid using a computer keyboard (the software we use requires a lot keyboarding...like, way more than you need to just write an email). It's definitely not a great job for people who like to or have to call off work a lot.

Overall, it's a great job if you're the type of person who hates having nothing to do (there's ALWAYS something to do in this job) and likes a challenge. It's a great job for someone who puts work first and wants a career. And it's a great job for people who like to work hard and know that their hard work matters and is important. Personally, I like it because a great deal of my sense of self-worth comes from my career, and this job makes me feel like my work and my career are valuable.
Pros
Challenging work, fun co-workers, good management, paid breaks, room for advancement if you want it, good benefits package
Cons
Bad work/life balance due to long hours, On Call Duty, & pressure to volunteer for overtime
Ok Work place
Video Coordinator/Support Tech (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VAJune 20, 2017
The work place and setting is comfortable and friendly. The pay is very bad though. A very high turn over ration for the company because of everyone being underpaid.
Great place to work, great money
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALJune 13, 2017
Vector is a great place to work at your own pace, make as much money as you want.Worked many events with lead fees reasonable to the employees. Great time when you traveled out of town.
Pros
Uncapped pay
Cons
Strictly commission based
Positive work environment
Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Warrendale, PAJune 2, 2017
This company is made by the technicians and employees who I believed really went out of their way to help each other. Great management and equipment.
Pros
Equipment and tools and employees
Cons
salary
Installer for Vector and Westec (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHJune 1, 2017
I worked here in the 90's and it was wonderful. I learned so many things and all of the employees were great. It is good to see the company is still around
Good step in my professional career
Security Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VAMay 30, 2017
I enjoyed working with Vector Security, my coworkers and team and supervisors. I was able to learn a lot about the security industry and the products that are available for consumers in this market.
Pros
3 days off due to scheduled time
n/a
Accounts Receivable Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 9, 2017
I would recommend to work here. Small company. The best department is customer service. I worked in A/R in which some were laid off. So customer service you will be guaranteed a job!
Older Company with growing pains
Liaison Support Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 5, 2017
Vector is an established Security vendor that has great people but poor organization. The company struggles to align goals across departments and policy/process changes typically do not make it to each level of the organization. The board's focus is on short term gains, but does not focus on elements that retain clients.
Pros
co-workers, holidays, amazing health insurance
Cons
lack of growth, lack of training, non competitive salary
Productive Days
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLMarch 14, 2017
Provide daily work duties to the team, order and parts as needed, quality control, meet daily with builder and project managers, handle any and all customer issues,
Fun and Excitring Work Place
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJanuary 24, 2017
A very competitive environment. Sales Manager actively involved in our sales. He runs promotions to help us sell. A great team environment.
Pros
provides the iPad and iPhone to do the job.
OK job
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Warrendale, PAJanuary 4, 2017
Management needs work, but overall there are some pretty great employees that make this company worth while. Paid breaks are a plus, but it is easy to burnout quickly in the call center.
Pros
paid breaks
Self motivated work schedule
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALDecember 29, 2016
Duties included
Driving many miles to and from customer houses to install and/or repair alarm systems.
maintain excellent customer relations.
Keep up to date knowledge on new hardware
Pros
Company truck and gas card
Cons
6 day work weeks
Professional Workplace
Conversion Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VADecember 23, 2016
I enjoyed working at Vector Security as a summer hire, it was a good place to gain professionalism during summer break. Was able to return to college with experience.
if you're a seasoned veteran, keep looking
emplyee (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23294December 22, 2016
Just plain sad. Total lack of competency , or interest in bettering ones self and company. Zero resources to serve internal and external clients.
Old School Management Style
Office Employee (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PADecember 1, 2016
Vector Security has recently changed to an impersonal and old school micro management style. This has created a very stressful work environment with little job satisfaction. When employees voice concerns about treatment the COO advised all Vector employees that "working for Vector Security is a choice" and didn't acknowledge any of the issues. This just proves that there is no real care for employees at a corporate level.

I have been employed by Vector Security for many years and have seen many changes in policies, procedures, and personnel. Most of my experiences have been positive but lately they have been unfavorable. No matter where you work you take the good with the bad. It is painful to see good people who want to provide good service be restricted from doing their jobs.

In my opinion Vector Security may be trying to provide better customer service but instead poor treatment of employees is leading to poor customer service.

Different Vector offices will provide different work experiences and chances for advancement.
Pros
Competitive pay, 401K
Cons
Expensive medical coverage, mandatory work on certain holidays, and scheduled breaks get cut short, General poor treatment towards employees with minimal to no positive reinforcement, No regard for employee family obligations
Poor Management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilkes Barre TwpNovember 11, 2016
Poor Management...No one direction from team leads, supervisor or manager. Procedures change daily and very hostile work envorinment. No example of team work shown.
high pace work environment
Data Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VANovember 1, 2016
Its a very high pace high energy work place where multitasking is a must to be able to complete the day to day required tasks. Each employee is expected to work with very little supervision but follow instructed guidelines and goals set.
Pros
hour lunch and two breaks
Cons
no vacation or sick pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vector Security Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9