Vector Security Inc.

Vector Security Inc. Employee Reviews

McDonalds Would Be Better
Central Station Operator (Former Employee) –  Warrendale, PAOctober 5, 2014
If you're like to be taken advantage of and treated like a child, then this is the job for you. The lies start from the moment you apply to be an "alarm dispatcher." This position is a glorified customer service rep. Beware, the lies don't stop there. Vector has a severe staffing issue, not to mention a good portion of the staff they do have are completely incompetent. What do they expect, no ones jumping at the opportunity for low pay, twelve hour shifts, constantly being on call, and being degraded by customers and MANAGEMENT. Vector has had a few decent employees, but don't worry, they screwed that up too. Vector has a three person upper management team that is pure comedy. It's even funnier when they try and process alarms. It's a wonderful system where they berate you for your performance on a job they can't do themselves. The ignorance of management is incredible. Management enjoys taking advantage of people so much they even created a fake title for it, "acting supervisor." This position allows you to help with supervisor work, while continuing to receive the same ridiculously low amount of pay. It's a relatively easy title to get. They have been known to hand it out to the most incompetent of people, they really like their own kind. In the end, the screw over the staff worth having and do a good job securing the people who have no future. It's a relatively smart move on their part. They know the people who work hard are going to leave them anyway, so why not screw them over first. In addition to being the worst place to work, I wouldn't recommend using them as a security  more... company either. Response times are ridiculously low due to a lack of staff, and the majority of the staff they do have being illiterate. I'm sure the company will soon go under, after all, what's an alarm company without people to monitor the alarms. Vector's only saving grace would be to fire the three members of upper management immediately. You can't expect to have a competent staff without having competent management.  less
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Can you hear that door opening and closing?
Dispatch Center supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 24, 2014
I worked there for a little over 5 years. I was a supervisor for the last 3 years. I had to chuckle when I read the other recent negative reviews. They could have easily been written by any employee, past or present. I am very sorry for those of you that had to deal with that low class management team or the uppity "supervisors" as they call themselves. They really are entertaining. I was on to all of their underhanded tricks so they fired me and allowed me to collect unemployment. That was the best thing that they ever did now that I look back. That place was very stressful and full of lazy degenerates that got rewarded for their overall lack of productivity. I remember I tried to write up some guy because I caught him eating someone elses lunch in the breakroom. Management just happened to like this guy a bunch because he had been there like 20+ years and he did whatever they wanted. They told me that him eating someone's lunch was NOT considered stealing and that I could not write him up for that. I should have headed for the door right there and then. I myself was written up by management for not coming into work(was not even on call) on my day off during the blizzard in early 2010. The working supervisor for that Saturday called off, but was not written up because he was a favorite, or more a loyal, brainless drone that they adored. This was mind boggling to me. I don't think that they will go out of business though. They have a fair amount of stooges and it's really a revolving door job that anyone can be trained to do.
Pros
3 stooges management team
Cons
pretty much everything
Supervisor was over bearing and obnoxious and Rude
customer service rep (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLDecember 11, 2015
I have never in my whole career met such a rude, and demeaning to employees. I saw well paid, skilled employees walk out half in tears due to the onslaught of attitude from this supervisor. She got her management skills while in the army running a motor pool and thinks that army style belongs in private industry. After working 12 hours a day 6 days a week she's all wired. She will actually yell at you and slam things around. What's worse is if you complain to the branch manager he says that's her management style and she's the boss.

The incoming call volume is very high due to repeat calls from the same customers complaining about bad service mostly missed service calls because the scheduling is revised by the supervisor and she'll drop a few here and there from the schedule. The snow birds are difficult but that's all part of the job the problem is getting a Service Tech rescheduled because their either overbooked or under booked and went home because they get paid by the install and not hourly.

My coworkers in the office were good except for 2 permanent fixtures which made the job difficult. The hardest part of the job was putting up with the supervisors attitude and having to take ownership for the problems left behind by your predecessor that walked out on the job.

If you're offered a job in the customer service department pass it up, the rest of the company seems fine.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Terrible management
Corporate micro management
Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh PAOctober 6, 2015
Too much time is wasted on corporate mandated "training". There could be meaningful and useful training using the demonstration room that is set up, but never used. Training and learning are always done on the job site,( baptism by fire) which is not effective.

Management is not concerned about individual improvement and management does very poor support on the jobsite level. Too many times engineering and design fall on the technician, using up install and bid hours. Too many times techs arrive on job with no prints or direction. Too many times techs arrive at job and customer has not been contacted in advance, making them upset.

The on call system is terrible. Techs rotate daily and mostly answer customer service type questions at all hours... panels beeping, low battery signals, etc. They do not have a customer service dept that would field these questions.

My co workers are the only good thing about the place. There is a solid bunch of techs that help each other whenever needed. Guys answer their phones after hours to give you some help while on call.
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
poor manager support in all departments
This company and job are a joke SERIOUSLY
Sales (Former Employee) –  VAJanuary 12, 2015
I replied to a job posting in the paper for this company back in 2009. It was written as if it were a receptionist or office job. So with my skills being in that background I was interested. What a joke that turned out to be. I went in for an interview that was fine, still being put off as an office position. And when I got the call back and got the job, I went to the training, only to find out it was a sales job. I was like.. really? That's how you are doing business. I stayed for the first half of the training just to see what it was like and myself and several SEVERAL others walked out during the first break. They genuinely had no issue with the fact they misrepresented this job position and title. Do not waste your time. Seriously, if you need a job do NOT waste your time with this company it's not worth it. Not honest people at all.
Cons
not honest people misrepresentation of what job actually is
Do not work here!
Alarm Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Warrendale, PASeptember 22, 2014
This job is a joke! It's a rotating door of people who are mostly morons. Management doesn't provide any support! They start off at 11 an hour go down the street Guardian pays more and works 8 hour shifts! Here at Vector you work 12 hour days we are so short it's unreal! They call you at all hours of the night asking you to pick up time because a call off. They advertise 1 week of on call but we are so short they force you to take extra on call days. Your yearly raise is 3% which is pathetic. They add more customers but don't pay us for the added harassment of the customers or management! Management has no clue how to process alarms correctly but yet critique every alarm you process. The central station manager is a moron and should be fired!!! Vector will probably have big law suits bc alarm response times bc not having enough staff!!!!!
Pros
comedy of staff and management
Cons
everything!!!!!!
Large Company with Small Company Values
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 8, 2013
After spending nearly 11 years out of the industry after working 6 years in the industry at all levels of the former organization, I thouroghly researched Vector Security, it's management & principles before committing my families financial security by accepting a position here in Tallahassee, FL as the general manager.
Since returning to the industry in August 2012, I have been pleasantly suprised to learn even more about the president of the company, my superiors and my teams values, commitment to the families we protect and their work ethic.
I'm proud to work with a company that treats their clients, employees and vendors with a high level of respect.
Pros
benefits, pay, ethics
Awesome place to work. Excellent training and cross training. Thought of excellent customer service as a culture.
Day Shift Central Station Operator/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAMay 8, 2012
Typical day was working from 7am-7pm. There was always a full day of reports,meetings,customer interactions, team members concerns and support. I learned how to be a team player. I learned that the group is only as good as the leader which made me want to be an example of excellence. My teammates (co-workers) were a supportive family. The hardest part of the job was training someone else to take my place. The most enjoyable part was when someone came to me and said thank you for all that you do.
Pros
benefits, 401k, extensive training, closeness of workers
Cons
n/a
Great Entry Level Job
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VAMay 28, 2015
I loved my time at Vector Security. I had a great manager that really cared about his employees. He did his best to not micromanage which can be tough in a large corporate office. I worked with some great people, the work itself was not too difficult or demanding. The company did a great job taking and giving feedback. Some of the people that have been there for a long time didn't take the job very serious and always complained, but it was one of my favorite jobs. It has huge potential for growth...if you are willing to put in the time and effort. I would definitely recommend to a friend.
Pros
Pretty much everything
Stressful environment with minimal compensation.
Central Station (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 2, 2014
Central Station - Pittsburgh

Hands down one of the worst jobs I've ever had. You're not and employee, you're just a body filling a seat. You're taken for granted and treated like an incompetent child by a laughable, self important upper management staff, most of which could not actually function/handle everything a 12 hour shift in this department entails.
Pros
health benefits, 401k, as much over time as you want to work
Cons
mandatory on call, 12 hour shifts, constantly called on days off to pick up time, poor pay when compared to stress/expectations of job
Productive workplace, fast pace, stay busy
Admin Support II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 23, 2014
A typical day at work was that I came in to do my work, met all deadlines. I have learned the security trade while working for Vector Security. Management tends to favor some employees over the others. Most co-workers were very pleasurable to work with. The hardest part of my job, was completing all paperwork at end of month by a specific day and time and the most enjoyable part of the job was the picnics, parties, birthdays, etc...
Pros
free lunches on certain holidays, room for advancement, health benefits
Cons
management and how some employees act
misunderstood the definition of "PROFESSIONCY"
DVR Technician (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 21, 2014
POOR MANAGMENT SKILLS
This is a big one "NOT EXCEPTING THEIR MISTAKES"
all they know is YOUR WORNG AND WE ARE RIGHT
YOU HAVE NO RIGHT they bought you your sold to them in BAD WAY...
Me as new employee working there...LEARNED HOW CAN I BE THE BEST MYSELF FROM THERE CURROPTION THAT IS GOING ON THERE MANAGEMENT WORLD. BY ME DOING THE RIGHT THING...

BOTTOM LINE IS I HAVE WORKED IN MANY DIFFERENT COMPANIES IN MY ENTIRE CAREER. I NEVER ECOUNTERED THIS KIND OF POOR IMPROFESSION, CORRUPTED MANAGMENT IN MY ENTRIE WORK EXPERIANCE IN UNITED STATES...
A Taste of being a patrol police officer
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Hamlin, PASeptember 22, 2014
On a my set job site, each day consisted of driving through a Private community and being alert of any suspicious activity, ensuring all homes were kept well, monitor speed limits throughout community. I learned how to look out for any suspicious activity from the job. My co-workers were very well aware of what they had to do each day and were very friendly.
Pros
free lunches, you own boss threough the shift, meet new people everyday
Cons
if your relief did not show you would have to stay until someone shows up, not much useable sources
safe and well being work enviroment . Advanced opportunitys to grow with .
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Hamlin, PASeptember 11, 2014
typical day at work is logging and monitoring traffic in and out of premises and logging guest in . observation on all areas assigned to.
I learned to read gages and know what to look for on a chemical spill and what to do and where to go to report an emergency and respond to Alarms and activate and deactivate .
hardest part of the job is relief officer not showing up for duty. Most enjoyable part was seeing a guard fulfill there work obligations to the client and take action with no delay .
What is up with this site?
Sr Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Warrendale PAApril 10, 2015
Call me biased as a current employee if you want, but PLEASE take some of the impressively immature rants with a grain of salt. This is a company of 1500+ people who work hard, have a great sense of community, and care deeply about customers and coworkers alike. Are we perfect? Of course not. But there are an incredible number of people who wouldn't work anywhere else. I strongly suggest you find a few of them via LinkedIn and ask why... If you take the time, you'll be glad you did.
Pros
Too many to list
Cons
Slackers need not apply
Vector Security
Tech./Lead Tech./Training Tech./Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAAugust 27, 2013
I came into the this position as an entry level technician and was able to gain experience trouble shooting many different products and security platforms. Management had a very hands on approach and were always there to assist. The most difficult part of the job was my initial lack of experience. The best part of the job was making progress and getting recognition for performance milestones.
Pros
positive feedback and freedom to grow.
Cons
salary not competitive in the industry.
Nice people, good company, great benefits, holds business to high standards.
Customer Service Technician Lead Dispatch (Former Employee) –  2604 North Parham Road Ste 500 Henrico Va 23294September 2, 2012
Working as a Customer service rep, I provided much needed help over the phone with security systems and their operations. There was allot of troubleshooting on a daily basis. I learned many new ways to use security systems and camera systems and many techniques of sales to new clients. Co-workers were wonderful. Loved all 6 years of employment.
Pros
free lunches lots of avtivities
Cons
lots of high stress situations
Very positive atmosphere
Data Entry/Dispatch Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 27, 2012
Very fun place to work. Management really showed you they appreciated your work. Always had some type of incentative if you picked up extra hours, stayed over late and for coming in on your off day. Co-workers were very friendly and any personal problems in you personal life they were very sensative to your issues. Hardest part for me was I had to leave after my husband died because my children were young.
Pros
very positive atmosphere
Cons
had to leave personal family issues
Good benefits, nice people, no life
Emergency Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Warrendale PAJune 17, 2015
I like Vector for different reasons. The job is not hard but the hours are to long, twelve hour days with tons of over time that is kind of forced onto employees gets to be to much to handle. The management is friendly although there are a couple shady ones in the bunch. There is definitely some favoritism going on in the company. The benefits however are wonderful, paid vacation, tuition reimbursement and a pay raise every year if earned.
Coordinating projects to ensure a timely and quality installation
PROJECT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VAAugust 24, 2015
Vector Security has grown as a company since I started in 2007. I have grown both personally and professionally while I have been at Vector. The work environment is stressful however management is focused towards alleviating unnecessary stress when possible. The most enjoyable part of my job is learning something new on a daily basis and working in a fast-paced environment.