Venable LLP Employee Reviews

ok
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 20, 2017
Compensation did not make up for working in Baltimore city and the insane work hours and there was no opportunity for growth. Very political work environment.
Fun place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 30, 2017
This was a great place to work, I enjoyed greeting high profile clients and celebrities and directing them to the conference rooms, I would also schedule conference rooms and ordered lunch for meetings. I assisted Secretarial staff with overflow work as needed. The hardest part of the job was the sheer volume of calls and questions I received in any give hr.
Very large law firm.
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2017
This is a very large law firm. The ratio of attorney to secretary is constantly growing, i.e. five or six attorneys to one secretary. They don't try to work with you if you have any problems with your attorneys. The salary and benefits are fair but their management skills are rather poor.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Poor secretarial management team.
Venable LLP
AV/VTC Engineer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 22, 2017
This is a law firm environment. The support staff is very skilled. The compensations were comparable to that of other organizations in the same field. I would definitely recommend working for this organization.
Nice new building
Legal Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJuly 18, 2017
Pleasant working environment in brand new office space. Strong firm culture, in house cafeteria; nice terrace; great firm overall, with many tenured staff members.
Overall a great place
LEARNING TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 15, 2017
A typical day includes:
Learning new software and meeting with various SME in different dept so I can develop a training package which consist of Quick Ref. cards, Train-the trainer guides, Exercises and PowerPoint presentation for both WebEx sessions and in class room training.

New Hire training at the beginning of the week
Scheduling of various training for each of the offices

On a daily basis, I learn the importance of customer services, providing exceptional training, understanding the culture of the users, and ensuring I understand the various roles of the firm.

Hardest part is full communication.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the users to understand their role so that I provide proper training. I also enjoy talking to various Office Managers and support staff to see the workflow and understand the skill sets
Pros
ability to travel, train various types of learners, heathcare, pay, benefits
Cons
lack of communication, lack of team participation and working together, no room for advancement
Would Not Recommend
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 2, 2017
PLEASE explore your options, not a fair place to work. Management has favorites, and does not support the staff. No matter what the situation is, the ATTORNEY is ALWAYS correct. No mercy!!!!!!!
Pros
Good benefit
Cons
Management/administration again, has favorites. Beware!!!!
The Client Intake Department is not good
Client Intake Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 1, 2017
The manager is racist and not knowledgeable. The job is stressful. The HR department would not investigate issues. The management team would not listen to issues raised by employees. The pay was horrible. The turnover rate was really high.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Disappointed
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 12, 2016
My experience working for Venable in the IP department was not a pleasant experience. Between a bipolar & lying supervisor made it very depressing and borderline harassment
Pros
Cons
Plenty
I very much enjoyed my duties and the IP attorneys were excellent
IP Foreign Filing Processor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 21, 2016
I was exposed to all aspects of prosecuting foreign patent applications and paid extensive attention to foreign deadline dates. My communication with supervising attorneys and their secretaries was excellent.
Pros
Great career opportunity
Cons
Sad it ended
Great place to intern at
Internship (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2015
I am very happy that in 2011 DC Central Kitchen paired with Venable Law Firm for my intership. My experience there was really benitfical and I learned how to properly cut fruit and work with a divers group of people. I was happy to hear that i had left a good impression on the chef that was there. It was a great experience that i will never forget
Pros
Got to work with great people
Cons
I wasn't able to get hired
Great job training and experience
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 4, 2014
Great teamwork, Good Firm to work for. Supported 4-5 attorneys who were very personable. A typical day at Venable was busy, but I met challenges because they have a great support system. Job training was readily available and they stayed abreast of technology.
Pros
Holiday lunches, healthcare fairs and challenges, anniversary acknowledgement
Cons
Unexcused policies
Very Productive
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2014
Checking Outlook on the computer for e-mails from management and co-workers for changes in duties.
"Setting-up" conference rooms.
Relieving reception.
Going to the different floors to make sure every thing is functioning properly.
The pantries are well stock.
Stocking the medicine cabinet.
Typing letters for attorneys.
Checking the mail room to assist.
Assisting with the marketing department.
Working in the library.
Taking care of inventories.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Breaks morning and afternoon. Health and dental. Messages

Comment – March 14, 2014

This is how this Law Firm discriminates, because I worked at Venable LLP New York (the same position) and was NEVER given a break, neither in the morning or evening. Occasionally we will get lunch, or whatever is left over in the conference rooms. One hour lunch, that's it, and you are going from the time you reach to work till the time you leave.

no comment
Production Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 25, 2014
A typical day as a production support assistant at Venable meant that there would be variety in your duties. Duties ranged from filing client/matter folders; creation of new files or pleadings backers; processing FedEx/UPS shipments; processing large/small mailings; input of new client matters; processing of outgoing invoices or letters. This was my 1st position in a legal field and I found it extremely interesting and I learned quite a bit. My co-workers were professional and the attorneys were friendly and easy to work with.
Pros
variety of duties
Cons
attitude and lack of respect of some upper management
Attorneys were difficult to support and HR was unfair
LAA (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 23, 2013
I found attorneys difficult to support and when HR was notified, more times than not, that department was unfair in their responses. They clearly did not respect the side of the support staff.
benefits
Cons
difficult attorneys and inconsistent hr policies
Billing Specialist
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 17, 2012
DC Accounting Office is not a great place to work. The manager thrives off gossip and disordered,Will try to befriend you only to get in your business and share with the entire department, the HR department favors long time employees and not trust worthy, if you have an issue with someone their just keep it to yourself b/c if you share with HR it will be used against you only to have you terminated or your time their will be miserable.
Pros
great healthcare package
Cons
terrible firm, hr favors certain people
This firm had a diversity of people to work with and that helped me to grow.
Accounting Assistant A/P (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 5, 2012
After a short while Venable was just not a good fit for me because I didn't see any advancement for myself.
Venable LLP is not a fair employer
Client Intake Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 4, 2012
Venable LLP favors the employees who have worked there for several years. New employees have no voice. They are abused, and HR does nothing to help them. HR doesn't take issues seriously. The training is horrible. There are no employee perks and nothing to boost morale amongst employees. There is nothing good about this place, except the health insurance.
Pros
health insurance is awesome.
Cons
no one will listen. hr is horrible. management is terrible. no employee perks.
Nice firm downtown
Marketing Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 6, 2012
Nice firm downtown Washington DC. Depends on which department/attorney you work for which will determine your quality of life. Over all I really enjoyed working at this firm.