Ventura Foods Employee Reviews

ventura foods
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAFebruary 12, 2017
the best place to work the pay is amazing for franklin county, The benefits are the amazing, you get a lot of overtime, you get sick days, payed vacation. profit sharing is amazing 4% evary year.
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, TXAugust 26, 2016
The hardest part of the job is no knowing if everything we need is in house from supply chain to complete all costumer orders.
Pros
Great Benefits/ No Layoffs
Cons
No Work life balance
One of the worst places I've worked....
Production Line Operator (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOSeptember 8, 2016
Pay would be decent if insurance costs weren't so high. Leadership is a joke! They will work you to the bone but if you need something from them good luck getting it. It's a company needs before employees needs first! If you switch jobs it takes forever for them to even find a replacement for you. The only plus side is your days off if you even get all of them because it takes so long for them to fill open spots. Co-workers are a blast though! If you're a good worker you've got job security unfortunately job advancement is a joke!
Pros
Co-workers, days off
Cons
Healthcare costs, days off, management, and moving to a different job within the plant
Decent money & benefits yet no time off to enjoy.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAMay 17, 2016
Very unsanitary facility, quite a few e.coli outbreaks, leaking roof, leaking walls & floors. No real safety team or ERT team, unacceptable training. Horrible work/life balance, consistent 60+ weeks for years, hard to use your vacation or sick time is frowned upon. No true leadership , management team is basically waiting to retire. Does not follow proper gmp, sop, hazmat & OSHA laws. No chance for advancement, regularly required to work double shifts if following shift calls off. Understaffed with unproductive employees resourced by poor hr and management. Biased accountability from the top to the bottom. This is the old Bordens food facility, now it is the chambersburg, pa. Branch of Ventura Foods..very outdated , regular accidents, also the only Ventura Foods facility not Union run..they definitely need it. Most of the management doesn't even have any degrees , they were promoted by seniority and favoritism. The Unemployment office knows them very well.
Pros
$$
Cons
Everything else is a travesty
Great people
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thornton, ILDecember 13, 2016
Enjoyed working there for that brief moment of time. The culture was great and everyone was really helpful. I would recommend this company if you're trying to start a career and need experience. I was a temp for the HR department so there isn't much I can say, but I'm happy they finally have a systems in place with my help, knowledge, and experience.
Great people to work with
Analyst (Current Employee) –  BreaMarch 25, 2016
Ventura Foods is a stable and growing company. Great benefits and work environment, however, there is no job growth. Unless, you can self promote to the right people, any type of promotion is not considered. Hard work, proving yourself and dedication is overlooked.
Pros
Great Benefits Stable Company
Cons
Promotion from within is unheard of.
overwhelming
Warehouse Operator (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIMay 19, 2016
12 hr shifts almost everyday. bad training, basically they leave you out there alone. inconsistent schedule, so you cant plan ahead.
Pros
The pay and benefits
Cons
Job culture, employees
More Overtime than Family Life
QA Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAOctober 22, 2016
Chambersburg, PA Plant: If hours are what you want this is the place for you. Typically 48hrs a week minimum. Be prepared to work multiple 12 hr shifts including weekends with hardly time for yourself. Hard to get hired there directly, so go through a staffing agency to get hired on within 4 months to a year. No room for advancment unless you have a degree. Employees with higher seniority seem to know how to weasle their way out of working weekends, as well as them being immune to some of the rules (ex. Sneak extra breaks, pawn off work to others, not wash their hands when returning to work multiple times) There is a lot of drama between coworkers that isn't dealt with when it first begins until after it escalates, and MANY supervisors DON'T hide their favoritism, especially because there are many relatives, friendships, & relationships throughout every department. Don't upset the wrong person(s) and not make any friends, or those "cliques" WILL band together to get you fired. Hardest part is keeping up with the production schedule and having multiple equipment failures because much of it is outdated & patched up parts. *Don't make any adjustments to products/paperwork without a person in QA management signing their initials on it first!* HR Assistant, Front desk, Safety staff are wonderful & you can take 1 free product home from the pantry each day you work at the end of your shift as a temporary or permanent employee.
Pros
Great Pay, 40+hrs Garanteed, Free Products to take home
Cons
Favoritism, Unprofessional relationships between supervisors & employees, hard work is not recognized
not a good place to work
CASE PACKER/ PALLETIZER OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Opelousas, LADecember 6, 2016
I will not recommend this job. It was a stressful place to work and very unorganized with bad communication. Management was not too friendly and professional when greeting employees.
Pros
insurance
Cons
management
N/a
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAFebruary 5, 2017
I started here in March of 2016. Working here I started out on 2nd shift and now working 1st shift. Would like to learn more positions in this company to better my family's future.
Overworked and underappeciated
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, TXSeptember 8, 2016
This place requires manadatory overtime. There is an optional sign-up list for the weekend and they will schedule opposite of the requested day. This place does not care if you have a family ect outside of work. The moral is the lowest I have ever seen among employees. This place also poorly trains you and holds it against you when you make a mistake.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
No work/ life balance
Work environment with steady hours
Label Cage attendent (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, TXNovember 14, 2016
I get to work at 6 am which put away all the unused labels that production returns. I also, clean all carts that come back dirty from production.
would not recommend exceopt for pay because of union shop
Sanitation Technician (Current Employee) –  waukesha, wisconsinJune 16, 2016
clean and sanitize food contact surfaces
management sub par
co- workers depressed except for pay
hardest part is working with machines from Holsum foods1952
fellow employees trying to work as a team
Pros
pay
Cons
Harsh work enviroment because of large turn over on sanitation
Pride in producing an outstanding product
Field Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Thornton, ILMarch 26, 2016
The company is growing and striving to become world class. Ventura Foods provides an excellent opportunity for those who are just beginning a career in the food manufacturing industry. There is considerable diversity and solid job opportunities, not only in the States, but also internationally.
Pros
Strong culture
Cons
IT still in it's infancy, however it's growing
Great work environment & fast paced
Inventory Control (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 6, 2016
Awesome company who encourages their employees to accomplish goals in both their personal lives as well as their professional lives. Great work environment.
Company has changed. Mid Management to VP's with sonority forced out. Operations management constantly changing. Leadership lacking.
Ops Manager (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAJune 27, 2016
Upper Operation Management needs to clean its act up. Company expanding oversea and in Canada. But can not keep US plants running properly.
Loved job, disappointed with my Manager
Payroll Processor/ Account Payable (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 13, 2014
I was hire thru a temp agency and then after 6 weeks was hired by Ventura. My Manager agree at the interview to pay me a certain wage. When it came to be hired in the six weeks, she didn't keep her word on the amount per hour, by .50 an hour. I worked for them for over a year and confronted the manager and she would not admit to the promise. I was not the only employee at that time that was hired that way. The company it self is great, but I do believe that the employee should be able to feel free to talk with there manager and or upper management to settle a problem. I would suggest to any one that is in my situation to get it in writing then there is no problem on what your wages are when hired after the 6 weeks. It is to bad you can't take people at there word, but in this situation I thought I could and learned the hard way.

The company has great benefits and for the food industry it has great hours. The people in production could work 4 10 hour days. But they did have to work over time if it was needed. Great people, you become one of the family
Pros
Hour for the Office were good, they gave you samples of food
Cons
Need to listen to there employee's
Loved learning somthing new Loved the motivation i had to do the best of my abilitys
stager (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOSeptember 24, 2013
I had never done this type of work before order pickers had to stack product so loaders could see everything on the pallet with out getin off there lift. learned to drive a standup lift ..
Pros
Steady paycheck, insurance, 401k, just learning how to do this job and mastering it to the best of my abilites.
Cons
A faster and harder working employee, making the same or less as a slower person, who simply knows they dont half to work hard to keep a job.
Even if you drink the Kool-Aid...you're expendable!
Executive (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAApril 5, 2016
Culturally bureaucratic and hierarchical, supportive of role-specific independence, fostering internal conflict and competition.

Fundamentally, the concept of collaboration is foreign, replaced by a style more reminiscent of a playground: bullies are in charge and pick subordinates to act as enforcers of their rules. Thus, people are managed vs. led, suppliers are kept in line instead of enlisted as support, and customers are placated.

Comp is reasonable, but a group of 5 is on an ego/power trip, so emphasis is on submissiveness, not results. Goal attainment, as well as support from colleagues and external partners is irrelevant: if one of the 5 gets a bad taste for you...you're out!

One final note: don't be old: a potentially outstanding hire was denied employment due to age!
Pros
Quality product and good reputation.
Cons
Poor communication, and deference is substituted for mutual respect.
This has been the best job experience
Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 24, 2015
I had a great time working for Ventura Foods. Great co workers, pay and benefits are great also. The company cares about their employees and makes them feel valued and respected.
Pros
great pay/benefits
Cons
7 day operation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ventura Foods. Our community is ready to answer.