Veolia Environmental Services Employee Reviews in United States

Interesting yet physical work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  North East, MDMay 17, 2015
Typical workday is as varied as the jobs. Due to a loss of contracts, I didn't work there long enough, or enough hours weekly, to make an informed opinion.

I did learn many aspects of industrial cleaning and high pressure water blasting.

Management seemed ready and willing to tackle any job, and to help workforce to succeed.

My co-workers were very helpful, knowledgeable, and hard workers.

Hardest part of job was being "on call."

Best part was learning and doing new things.
Pros
Good pay and decent benefits. (Some prevailing wage.)
Cons
On call, hard to get 40 hr. week
Be prepared to put your personal life on the back burner.
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WisconsinMay 28, 2015
When I initially interviewed for the position I was excited. I was told every 6 months I would get a pay raise and within 2-3 years I would be promoted. I worked for nearly a year before I got fed up with the office politics and left.

In the 11 months I received one small raise (less than 40 cents). I worked myself to the bone (55-70 hours/week). Schedule changed everyday. You never knew what you would be done, an 8 hour day turned into 12+ because the project managers didn't take the time to properly setup a job. All responsibility falls back in the Field Techs. They want to hire college grads but want to pay you like high school grads (15/hour). May work an 8 hour job and then come back to the yard and unload trailers of supplies or drums or clean garbage up in the truck yard.

They tell you in the interview that you will not work that many Saturdays, but between April and October you will be lucky to have off one Saturday a month, working 6 days/week.

The "training" program is trash, you will be more confused after going to the program than learning on the job.

You are required to expense all hotel, supply, truck breakdowns on your personal credit card (4-6 week payback period).
Pros
Big paychecks due to immense overtime hours
Cons
Never know when you will be home, schedule is always changing, you are not taken seriously by management.
This job was very demanding but could be satisfying at its daily conclusion.
Sanitation Driver (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILNovember 2, 2015
Work was daily but very demanding. Customers watched and scrutinized every action taken by drivers and helpers. Customers believed they could force you to break established rules and protocols while on the route. A large majority of customers were very generous to drivers and helpers at Christmas time. Many customers were very appreciative of the work we did for them. My hiring managers were very good bosses, however the daily atmosphere changed rapidly when they were abruptly replaced with less approachable management.
Pros
Customers were very generous at Christmas time.
Cons
Physically demanding. No incentives for moving up.
Good pay, Great benefts
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 12, 2015
Great company to work for. Decent pay and excellent benefits. Flexible schedules and an overall good work atmosphere.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Fast paced
Not a good place to work. It is a job not a career.
Technician (Current Employee) –  New Lenox, ILAugust 19, 2015
The overall work is not bad, time goes by fast when you are working. Management is tairible and vary unorganized, and plays favoritism. I am scheduled to work 7 days a week but have no scedule at all. I wait for a text message each night to let me know if I am working the next day or not. Some times I don't hear anything. Some weeks I will work 80+ hours well other weeks I might get 8 hours. I do not learn anything or any room for advancement. I have worked here for 8 months and still waiting on my 90 day review. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I get to do my job and get to work. My co-workers are all good guys that are just stuck in a dead end job.
Pros
Cons
Unpaid lunch and No Schedule
Productive place to work
Vendor Maintenance A/P Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 22, 2016
Really liked the job placements that I received.
Setting up new vendors daily was very enjoyable because I met people from all across the United States over the phone and later in person when they came to visit Milwaukee. I've had very nice employees to work with and learn from. The hardest part of this job was leaving people that I'd come to enjoy working with everyday.
Pros
New people
Cons
Mandtory company meetings
Nice play with casual atmosphere
Security Analyst/System Administration (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 6, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management and a casual atmosphere. Good flexibility in your work schedule with understanding of work/life balance.
Always an adventure
janitorial (Former Employee) –  Mapleton, ILJanuary 20, 2016
Never knew what was going to happen next. I enjoyed working for the management. I was disappointed when they lost their contract.
traveling timekeeper
Timekeeper/Billing Clerk/Cost Tracking (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXFebruary 18, 2015
I loved traveling to turnarounds, doing timekeeping job. I loved visiting different parts of U.S.A. and meeting different people. Long hours, but good pay compensation. Never away from home more than 4 weeks without a trip home.
Pros
traveling, seeing different states
Cons
when turnarounds were over then no work
they dont care about their employees
n/a (Current Employee) –  Nitro, WVJanuary 6, 2013
very poor management, very rarely see them in the field. they have their absolute favorites and some they keep out of town traveling and seems they basically forget about their existance. very poor bonus program. god forbid you get a ticket that you pay and doesnt go against veolia. very little raises. we cant even get so much as a tee shirt or a hat. I dont recommend that anyone come to work here. word of advise people, ivs, is right down the road.
Pros
the occasional lunch and dinner is bought, good insurance
Cons
they have no consideration that you have a family
enjoyed traveling to different locations for work
Commercial Diver (Former Employee) –  Morgan City, LAFebruary 1, 2016
learned a lot of different skills working offshore and enjoy leading by example. Learning to operate a crane and my rigging training was also a plus.
Pros
the people and very challenging
Cons
being away from home for long periods of time
Results driven workplace
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYDecember 1, 2015
Good company to work for with opportunity to move up. Big company and big business. Not the family close to home atmosphere. Great people to work with locally but upper management is not loyal and cares more about the business then their people. Unfortunate.
depends on which plant location you are working at 40hr only
Plant Worker (Former Employee) –  Laplace, LAApril 3, 2015
hard work... have to be a the plant before 6:30am... starting pay is at 13... watch our back beacues its like working with little boys, meaning they will go tell your business to everyone... they have some cool down to earth peolpe that work there.
Pros
401k plan, health plan
Very fast paced environment with good co-workers
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INAugust 22, 2012
Answering calls and helping clients with any problems they have, with a quick solution.
Having a great attitude and being a team player at all times.
Keeping an organized and productive cubicle.
Being a helpful individual for all the clients calling in with problems.
Making collection calls and sending out letters.
Taking electronic payments over the phone and making sure there account reflects the payment and sending out a confirmation.
Typing up contracts when ordering huge roll-off containers for construction sites.
Getting a permission slip signed by the city that we would be sending a container if on the street of that city.
Helping with anything that is needed to be completed.
Pros
good hours and friendly co-workers
Cons
pay rate is low and benefits were not great.
Not a Place to Advance if you are a Woman
N/A (Former Employee) –  Azusa, CAAugust 5, 2014
The benefits are fantastic at Veolia, but if you are a woman, you are led by the younger men who are in management to turn against each other. That is not acceptable in my eyes, and not a good sign of leadership, but Veolia loves it. They even have special classes for women in leadership to go and learn how to do this. Seems like Veolia should have leadership classes in a generic fashion to enable teamwork.

I have spoken to many women in Veolia who have simply taken their measly role as it is because it is a job. Many women are accepting these roles as the only thing that they have. The younger men continue to look for flaws in women in the workplace, like reminding them that they forgot something. If you are a woman, better know someone in the high management region, because you will have a dead end job in Veolia. Also, you will have new women enemies that you never had in any other workplace. It's the accepted culture.

I have talked many older women down from just giving up and dying since I have been there. Several have said they just want to die, and it is just a job, even though they have a lot of experience in the industry to offer Veolia.

I am so very disappointed in Veolia for allowing this behavior in this day and age.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
elder and women discrimination
A good place to work that offers excellent training and benefits. Hourly rate leaves something to be desired but a good place to work.
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  CADecember 15, 2011
Veolia Environmental is a great place to work for those looking for a consistent work environment with opportunities to learn and excel in the environmental field. The benefits are more than competative and the company is quite specialized. I have had a good experience working for Veolia.
Pros
benefits and skills learned
Cons
hourly pay is on the low side, and the hours are inconsistent.
Lots of travel and long days
Environmental Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Morrow, GAOctober 8, 2015
This job requires driving a Midline truck to customer sites and picking up any hazardous waste generated by our various customers. I have learned regulations of the EPA, DOT and OSHA and various waste disposal methods.

Travelling three weeks out of every month can be taxing on your life. Being in a new place every day can take out some of the monotony that comes with an office job.
Pros
Hotel points that can be redeemed for gift cards
Cons
Work in weather, travel
relaxed environment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Batavia, ILSeptember 5, 2015
There is not a lot of room for advancement but the pay is good in relation to the amount of effort needed to perform the job.
Pros
free lunches, open break system
Cons
exposure to weather conditions, bad smell
Local Management Unethical, Dishonest, & Unprofessional
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXFebruary 6, 2013
Funny how leadership preaches ethics, honesty, and be professional and expects this from the rank and file but behind close doors they are completely hypocritical to all of these attributes. Pretty unprofessional how you can be told week after week how great you are doing then once you decide to turn in a two notice all of the sudden you are a sub par employee. Management does this to discredit you in order to avoid paying you your earned bonuses and/or commissions. There is definitely favoritism running all through the company which creates a horrible work environment. When I first started, I thought that the office staff was just "bumps on a log" with bad attitudes but after being there for 8 months, I understand as local management is to blame for most of this based on how they treat people. I would challenge the executives to participate on "Undercover Boss" but I'm sure that they would be too embarrassed for this to air on national TV. One other note, they fall under the old adage "the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing". Think long and hard before accepting a job with the La Porte office and if you have other options - take them.
benefits
Cons
unethical, dishonest, and unprofessional
Good Company, poor Management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXJuly 22, 2015
A typical day at work was very productive and busy. I learned different programs daily and dealing with customers and their needs. Management was not at its best, no training, and not enough information to complete our jobs. I worked best with my co-workers, we helped each other. The hardest part of the job was being given a massive account and told to handle it by working OT and weekends without any help. The most enjoyable were my co-workers, we were a great group.
Pros
rotating off days
Cons
no help from management

2.9