Veolia Environmental Services Employee Reviews in United States

Not a good place to work. It is a job not a career.
Technician (Current Employee) –  New Lenox, ILAugust 19, 2015
The overall work is not bad, time goes by fast when you are working. Management is tairible and vary unorganized, and plays favoritism. I am scheduled to work 7 days a week but have no scedule at all. I wait for a text message each night to let me know if I am working the next day or not. Some times I don't hear anything. Some weeks I will work 80+ hours well other weeks I might get 8 hours. I do not learn anything or any room for advancement. I have worked here for 8 months and still waiting on my 90 day review. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I get to do my job and get to work. My co-workers are all good guys that are just stuck in a dead end job.
Pros
Cons
Unpaid lunch and No Schedule
This job was very demanding but could be satisfying at its daily conclusion.
Sanitation Driver (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILNovember 2, 2015
Work was daily but very demanding. Customers watched and scrutinized every action taken by drivers and helpers. Customers believed they could force you to break established rules and protocols while on the route. A large majority of customers were very generous to drivers and helpers at Christmas time. Many customers were very appreciative of the work we did for them. My hiring managers were very good bosses, however the daily atmosphere changed rapidly when they were abruptly replaced with less approachable management.
Pros
Customers were very generous at Christmas time.
Cons
Physically demanding. No incentives for moving up.
Nice play with casual atmosphere
Security Analyst/System Administration (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 6, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management and a casual atmosphere. Good flexibility in your work schedule with understanding of work/life balance.
Be prepared to put your personal life on the back burner.
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WisconsinMay 28, 2015
When I initially interviewed for the position I was excited. I was told every 6 months I would get a pay raise and within 2-3 years I would be promoted. I worked for nearly a year before I got fed up with the office politics and left.

In the 11 months I received one small raise (less than 40 cents). I worked myself to the bone (55-70 hours/week). Schedule changed everyday. You never knew what you would be done, an 8 hour day turned into 12+ because the project managers didn't take the time to properly setup a job. All responsibility falls back in the Field Techs. They want to hire college grads but want to pay you like high school grads (15/hour). May work an 8 hour job and then come back to the yard and unload trailers of supplies or drums or clean garbage up in the truck yard.

They tell you in the interview that you will not work that many Saturdays, but between April and October you will be lucky to have off one Saturday a month, working 6 days/week.

The "training" program is trash, you will be more confused after going to the program than learning on the job.

You are required to expense all hotel, supply, truck breakdowns on your personal credit card (4-6 week payback period).
Pros
Big paychecks due to immense overtime hours
Cons
Never know when you will be home, schedule is always changing, you are not taken seriously by management.
Always an adventure
janitorial (Former Employee) –  Mapleton, ILJanuary 20, 2016
Never knew what was going to happen next. I enjoyed working for the management. I was disappointed when they lost their contract.
Results driven workplace
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYDecember 1, 2015
Good company to work for with opportunity to move up. Big company and big business. Not the family close to home atmosphere. Great people to work with locally but upper management is not loyal and cares more about the business then their people. Unfortunate.
Interesting yet physical work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  North East, MDMay 17, 2015
Typical workday is as varied as the jobs. Due to a loss of contracts, I didn't work there long enough, or enough hours weekly, to make an informed opinion.

I did learn many aspects of industrial cleaning and high pressure water blasting.

Management seemed ready and willing to tackle any job, and to help workforce to succeed.

My co-workers were very helpful, knowledgeable, and hard workers.

Hardest part of job was being "on call."

Best part was learning and doing new things.
Pros
Good pay and decent benefits. (Some prevailing wage.)
Cons
On call, hard to get 40 hr. week
Productive place to work
Vendor Maintenance A/P Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 22, 2016
Really liked the job placements that I received.
Setting up new vendors daily was very enjoyable because I met people from all across the United States over the phone and later in person when they came to visit Milwaukee. I've had very nice employees to work with and learn from. The hardest part of this job was leaving people that I'd come to enjoy working with everyday.
Pros
New people
Cons
Mandtory company meetings
Good Company, poor Management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXJuly 22, 2015
A typical day at work was very productive and busy. I learned different programs daily and dealing with customers and their needs. Management was not at its best, no training, and not enough information to complete our jobs. I worked best with my co-workers, we helped each other. The hardest part of the job was being given a massive account and told to handle it by working OT and weekends without any help. The most enjoyable were my co-workers, we were a great group.
Pros
rotating off days
Cons
no help from management
enjoyed traveling to different locations for work
Commercial Diver (Former Employee) –  Morgan City, LAFebruary 1, 2016
learned a lot of different skills working offshore and enjoy leading by example. Learning to operate a crane and my rigging training was also a plus.
Pros
the people and very challenging
Cons
being away from home for long periods of time
relaxed environment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Batavia, ILSeptember 5, 2015
There is not a lot of room for advancement but the pay is good in relation to the amount of effort needed to perform the job.
Pros
free lunches, open break system
Cons
exposure to weather conditions, bad smell
Lots of travel and long days
Environmental Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Morrow, GAOctober 8, 2015
This job requires driving a Midline truck to customer sites and picking up any hazardous waste generated by our various customers. I have learned regulations of the EPA, DOT and OSHA and various waste disposal methods.

Travelling three weeks out of every month can be taxing on your life. Being in a new place every day can take out some of the monotony that comes with an office job.
Pros
Hotel points that can be redeemed for gift cards
Cons
Work in weather, travel
High stress
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 14, 2015
Handled anywhere from 60 -100 customer calls every day. Dealt with billing questions, customers complaints, and sold residential and commercial trash service. Processed payments over the phone and made collection calls. Negotiated payment arrangements.

Learned to patiently listen to clients and speak calmly with them at all times. Also, learned to handle high stress situations.

Management did not like to communicate unless things went wrong.

Co-workers were great when we had time to interact which was very seldom.

Lack of communication was the hardest part of the job.
Pros
Pay check
Cons
Short or no breaks
they dont care about their employees
n/a (Current Employee) –  Nitro, WVJanuary 6, 2013
very poor management, very rarely see them in the field. they have their absolute favorites and some they keep out of town traveling and seems they basically forget about their existance. very poor bonus program. god forbid you get a ticket that you pay and doesnt go against veolia. very little raises. we cant even get so much as a tee shirt or a hat. I dont recommend that anyone come to work here. word of advise people, ivs, is right down the road.
Pros
the occasional lunch and dinner is bought, good insurance
Cons
they have no consideration that you have a family
A large, but Safety minded company
Division Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  Liberty, MO (Kansas City Area)March 31, 2015
Typical work day: Review DOT and Safety compliance paperwork, help plan the safety requirements and PPE for upcoming projects, responsible for all training for employees, visit project sites to support field personnel and conduct safety audits.
Lessons learned: To intergrate safety as the first priority within a projects scope of work
Management: As part of the management team, we work together to be competative in the market while striving to be the safest.
Co-Workers: Hard working and very safety aware.
Hardest part: Keeping up with all the safety and compliance changes throughout the years.
Most enjoyable part: The employees, and knowing that I had a part in them returning home everyday safe and uninjured.
Not a Place to Advance if you are a Woman
N/A (Former Employee) –  Azusa, CAAugust 5, 2014
The benefits are fantastic at Veolia, but if you are a woman, you are led by the younger men who are in management to turn against each other. That is not acceptable in my eyes, and not a good sign of leadership, but Veolia loves it. They even have special classes for women in leadership to go and learn how to do this. Seems like Veolia should have leadership classes in a generic fashion to enable teamwork.

I have spoken to many women in Veolia who have simply taken their measly role as it is because it is a job. Many women are accepting these roles as the only thing that they have. The younger men continue to look for flaws in women in the workplace, like reminding them that they forgot something. If you are a woman, better know someone in the high management region, because you will have a dead end job in Veolia. Also, you will have new women enemies that you never had in any other workplace. It's the accepted culture.

I have talked many older women down from just giving up and dying since I have been there. Several have said they just want to die, and it is just a job, even though they have a lot of experience in the industry to offer Veolia.

I am so very disappointed in Veolia for allowing this behavior in this day and age.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
elder and women discrimination
traveling timekeeper
Timekeeper/Billing Clerk/Cost Tracking (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXFebruary 18, 2015
I loved traveling to turnarounds, doing timekeeping job. I loved visiting different parts of U.S.A. and meeting different people. Long hours, but good pay compensation. Never away from home more than 4 weeks without a trip home.
Pros
traveling, seeing different states
Cons
when turnarounds were over then no work
Good pay, Great benefts
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 12, 2015
Great company to work for. Decent pay and excellent benefits. Flexible schedules and an overall good work atmosphere.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Fast paced
Great Compensation And Benefits
Swing Driver (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul MNFebruary 10, 2013
Good company to be a part of. A fit for just about anyone with a cdl and good driving record. Routes with overtime and routes without much overtime, so good fit for many. Room for advancement, good management listens to your concerns.
Pros
compensation, benefits, advancement
Cons
work outside in all conditions.
Long hours and below standard supervision
Distillation Operator (Former Employee) –  Henderson, COFebruary 18, 2013
The company reprocessed hazardous waste to recover industrial solvents as well as process other liquid and solid waste. The company is very active in the industry but is subject to the varying manufacturing environments. The company gets its business from other manufacturing companies. The company is short on qualified management at the regional and local level. Company lacks discipline and foresight in promoting junior management which affects the work environment. The company is a solid company and has many qualified and experienced technicians as well as on site lab support. Unfortunately there is little room for promotion or advancement. Work shifts are 12 hours and there is set shift rotation. There is a lot of heavy lifting and moving during the setup of pump equipment and the loading and unloading of railcars and vac trucks. Plant operators are required to do all their own maintenance and repairs. Plant site is heavily regulated by OSHA and EPA.
Pros
mostly steady work
Cons
management and saftey department need improvement