VeriCare Employee Reviews

Quality organization serving multiple underserved groups, responsive to staff needs
Clinical Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaJanuary 4, 2016
This is a quality-driven organization allowing clinicians to build expertise in a variety of areas with underserved groups, providing flexibility and independence in building a practice, but with support provided in key areas such as billing, overall quality assurance, relationship with payors and contracts that allow clinicians to focus on the professional work. While there can be challenges and ups and downs as in any clinical work and in this field, being proactive is important, but over many years of my experience here the work has been stable, and a positive is you can work with psychiatric issues, health concerns, a range of adult/older adult ages and with opportunities for family work, doing trainings. This company to its credit has been working hard to tune into employee needs including attention to compensation, getting feedback about what can help, building a positive supportive climate, enhancing administrative systems and with increasing attention to offering new opportunities, all of which have added to the many positives of working here and in this field.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Flexibility and Independence
Best company I have worked for by far!
account executive (Current Employee) –  New JerseyDecember 16, 2015
In the last 19 years of my career, I have worked for several large and small companies. Vericare is the first company that really shows that they care about their employees. Is this job easy? No. Is it rewarding? Yes. I am motivated to go to work everyday because I know that my efforts are being appreciated and I truly work for the best in the industry.
Pros
Working with great people both in the field and at Corporate, Work life balance, Tons of resources and corporate support
Good work experience
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  NJAugust 6, 2016
Professional company-good work experience-management was supportive
worked at various locations at nursing homes, required traveling
electronic records were in place
Position required autonomy
Mostly geriatric patients
Consultation
Enjoy coming to work everyday
Corporate Employee (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 4, 2015
A great place to work with supportive management. You are given the tools and the autonomy to grow, develop and succeed. Every day brings a different challenge which makes working at Vericare exciting.
There is an open door policy with CEO and EVPs . They will let you come in and talk about anything. You feel heard and appreciated.
My co-workers are great. Everyone is on the same page and wants to make the company better.
Pros
Summer Hours, Free Lunches, Thank yous, recognition for work
Cons
Do not match 401(k) at this time
Great Work/Life Balance
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 31, 2015
After working in community mental health for a few years combined with geriatric psychiatry as a board certified psychiatric nurse practitioner, I wanted to focus more on my niche of geriatric psychiatry as I finished additional studies in graduate school. I came across Vericare through Indeed.com and inquired to the recruiter regarding pay, work schedule, and what to expect with this company. I must say from day one (at the beginning of the process) until now (actually working for the company) I have been impressed with the professionalism and the genuine care about the employees. From the recruiter, to the general manager, account executive, to the clinician concierge that helps us literally with anything we need, I'm grateful to have finally found a company that fits with what I expect as a psychiatric nurse practitioner and what works well with my schedule. When ICD-10 came out, we were provided with detailed conference calls and training; of which we could inquire at anytime via phone or email if we had any further questions. The EHR also accommodated the clinicians during this transition. There is so much respect, flexibility, good pay, and it works well with my current schedule that involves a combination of graduate school and my home life. My collaborating physician (it's required currently in Florida) is always an email or phone call away in which the company provides in addition to our malpractice insurance. The facilities I go to are clean and the staff as well as the administrator at each one are also helpful and we all work well together. It's exciting to know  more... that the company also has psychologists for psychotherapy in which you can collaborate with together at the facility which is great for the quality of care I like to provide to my patients. I am still even shocked to see myself pick up more days working with this company simply because there really is a great work/life balance. I remember asking one of the employees that did my interview how long she had been working for the company and what she liked best and she was spot on about the flexibility and pay. When she told me she felt like the 5 years so far that she worked for this company flew by, I knew that this could be the start of something good and so far it truly has been.  less
Pros
Flexibility, Pay, Respect as a Clinician
Cons
None; If you're looking for a good work/life balance, consider working for this company
Love working here as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Palm Coast, FLDecember 15, 2015
I love working for Vericare as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. You really have all the resources you need. They provide a laptop, you have your own email address, business cards, wireless card (for when you're in the facility), easy accessibility to the EHR online--everything to help make your job easier. Communication appears to be constant as we get emails all the time about any changes or suggestions that they actually listened to and made better for the employees (even though I personally feel that the company is already great--very professional). You can tell that everyone there genuinely likes working for the company and I feel extremely blessed to be a part of such a fantastic team of professionals.
Pros
Pay, Flexible, Managment actually cares about the employees
Cons
No cons
I have worked for Vericare for over 12 years
clinical psychologist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 28, 2015
I have worked for Vericare for over 12 years, and it’s been a rewarding experience since the beginning.
Vericare is a serious company, managed by friendly and responsible people. It’s the perfect job for professionals who are self-motivated and can organize their time and schedule themselves. The independence and flexibility offered by this job makes life easier, with practically no job-related stress.

Vericare made a lot of progress since the “old days.” Writing notes is now very convenient and easy since it’s all done online. And we can send them to the facilities via fax or email, whichever works better for you. I fax them to myself while in the facility and just distribute them into the patients’ charts.

This is a great job since we don’t need an office of our own. The facilities we work at and the comfort of our homes is where our office is. Vericare is well organized, and payment is always on time. One of the best things we benefit from is the support from corp office. Those people are just great and friendly.

I highly recommend working for Vericare. I am close to retirement, but I am sure I will enjoy working for this company for many more years afterwards.
Pros
Flexibility in Schedule, Support Offered, Patient Population
Cons
401(K)
Incredibly Poor Management
Psychologist (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 20, 2014
This is the most poorly managed company I have ever worked for. They have major changes in corporate every few months. The company is so focused on the $$ that clinical relevance is not considered. They have managers making clinical decision as to how many times we should see our patients and continual pressuring us to do so.. Your pay is based on fee for services, which is linked with their EMR system for notes and billing that is a nightmare. After spending 8 hours seeing your patients you spend another 8 trying to sort out your pay, missing notes and referrals; which results in endless emails.
Pros
my patients, i love working with the elderly
Cons
poor management, long hours
Great place for flexible schedules and rewarding work
Rehabilitative Specialist, Clinical Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TexasApril 10, 2014
I have seen this company go through many changes in the last 3-4 years with an aim towards growth and continued advancement in the field of health psychology and geriatric psychology. Though there are always bumps with change, I have been pleased to see management's responsiveness to the needs/concerns of providers. I am pleased to see use of electronic records and clinician concierges (which are simply the best!) to make our administrative task much, much easier. I look forward to seeing continued improvements in administrative support(s) to streamline a complicated process. I am also pleased to see that Vericare places great emphasis in training providers to stay informed and knowledgeable in best treatment approaches. Plus, they offer very generous professional development funds each year to help providers grow/stretch skill sets.

The hardest part of the job deals with the nature of the work --in serving a very vulnerable population. Though rewarding to help patient's and their families find comfort as they go through varying health difficulties, it can be emotional draining (but very, very rewarding).

Pros: flexible hours; rewarding placements working with medical teams; supportive general managers for consultation/problem solving; emphasis placed on continual learning/training; CEU funding; Licensure funding; Mileage reimbursement; IPADs
Pros
a great find for independent, organized and motivated clinicians
Cons
no 401k match program at this time.
Serious Communication Problems
Health Care Provider (Medical) (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 5, 2013
I was hired on as a part-time employee. The orientation process was slow and disorganized. It was clear very early on that members of the management and HR teams did not communicate clearly with each other. Start dates were never clearly communicated, and neither were the expectations of what they wanted. I asked for these repeatedly, since I have other obligations and needed to balance everything. In the end, I decided to leave after three short months-- though I had barely even gotten started. The kicker here is that not one single person has acknowledged my resignation. Not the management, not HR, not anyone. I am not sure how they could have any self-respecting medical provider go work in their office. I would caution anyone looking at this company. Their initial presentation and appearance is good, but things quickly change once you are hired.
Cons
poor communication, disorganized, unprofessional
Excellent staff, flexible work schedule
Clinical Psychologist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 15, 2014
I thoroughly enjoy working for Vericare. The management team is extremely professional and understands the importance of allowing psychologists to create their own work schedule. While they provide autonomy in one's work, they also create a team atmosphere in which you can always get consultation and/or questions answered. I truly enjoy working with the geriatric population Vericare provides, and the documentation required per patient is easily accomplished. Additionally, it is wonderful not to have to do my own billing!
Bottom line: I highly recommend Vericare for their patient care as well as their employee care.
Pros
flexible work schedule, strong management team
Flexible work days and supportive coworks
Psychologist (Current Employee) –  san franciscoApril 13, 2014
One of the things I enjoy about my job is the ability to work with the elderly population and make a difference in their lives. Vericare has licensure reimbursement fees and mileage reimbursement. The travel can be tiring at times but you are given plenty of patients to see so it is worth the drive. The management is very professional and they bought is all iPads to use for our work. Many people work for Vericare part time while they do their private practice. I recommend Vericare to anyone who wants an opportunity to work independently with some collaboration with other Vericare staff or the facility staff.
Pros
flexible schedules and bonuses
Cons
long commuting
Vericare is a resilient company that recognizes their clinicians as the key to its success.
Clinical Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CaliforniaApril 23, 2014
Vericare offers an attractive hybrid of private practice and salaried employment, largely providing the best of both worlds. A few of the pluses include autonomy over my schedule, a consistent caseload, freedom from a host of administrative tasks (including billing!), virtually no overhead, reliable, professional and competent support and leadership from management, ethical practices, being an instrumental part of a treatment team at each facility, and the opportunity to be involved in a relatively new and fertile area in the field of psychology. On the downside, there is limited face-to-face contact with Vericare colleagues and management, and none with support staff, which can be especially challenging as one is coming on board and learning a new system. Nonetheless, Vericare is a resilient and vibrant company that recognizes their clinicians as the key to its success.
Productive and Fun Challenging Environment
Referral specialist, receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2013
Co-workers are willing to help others, typical day processing referrals and meeting your daily goal, ,management is friendly and mentioned their door is always open with questions or concers, hardest part of the job would be sometimes obtaining the patients complete information that was missing on the information sent in, the most enjoyable part of the job would be being with co-workers who make you feel like family and are always willing to help.
Pros
friendly environment, close relationship with co-workers
Cons
backlog of referrals from holidays, or systems problems
Flexibility in schedule is one of the best benefit!
Staff Clinical Psychologist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 5, 2015
Scheduling patients in a skilled nursing facility is quite flexible. The most enjoyable part of the job is to assist the geriatric population with their mental health needs.
Pros
Flexibility, 401K, Bonus plan
Company is cutting employees as the Medicare fee schedule reduced by 5%. Revenue to company went down. The lay off is from high management to high pay
Billing Specialist - (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 13, 2012
Review A/R using Excel Pull the dates that have not been paid to see why. Check denials correct reprocess, Answer costumer calls, emails from field representative,
Answer questions and help co worker due to extensive experience in the field. Hardest part of the job keeping up with non credential providers rendering services, Electronic billing issues that casing delays in processing clean claims. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work independently and resolving all issues that are difficult. Being productive the best part
Pros
example: free lunches, etc.
Cons
example: short breaks, healthcare, etc.
Poorly managed corporation only interested in the bottom line
Psychiatrist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 11, 2014
This company is terribly mismanaged. They had shifts in leadership at least 5 times in the few years I worked there. These shifts included the CEO, COO, Human Resources Director, etc. Management does not care about anything but the bottom line, and it is obvious from the time one starts working there.

Non-clinicians are constantly attempting to push clinicians into seeing a certain amount of clients (from which they take about 70-80% of your gross, per patient reimbursement), despite it being unnecessary and at worst, unethical.

Furthermore, their EMR is horribly slow and built on Salesforce, which was never meant for clinical work. After spending 8 hours a day actually seeing clients, one then has to spend another 4-5 hours each night trying to email and find out why one didn't get paid, why the referral didn't go through, etc.

One ends up spending so much time emailing, trying to figure out what is going on, that eventually one wonders what the point is. Supposedly, they take most of the gross for marketing, coordination, and training, but one doesn't get any of that.

The company presents itself well at first, but once hired, the situation changes drastically as per the above.

Their "marketing" is non-existent - I was told there would be plenty of skilled nursing facilities near my house, but that was not the case. All "my" facilities were nearly 2 hours away.

I'd stay far, far away.
Pros
don't have to set up a business and do it yourself
Cons
very little reimbursement for work done, terrible management who pays no attention to clinicians, horrible emr, difficult to get paid on time and correctly
Fun Company
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 6, 2015
I was a temp at Vericare and I love working at this company. The only thing that I would change is the quota that they set for the workers.
Good at many things; poor at some of the most important.
Contract psychologist, part-time (Current Employee) –  N. Texas regionApril 17, 2013
Vericare is a company that was founded by mental health professionals, and for the first 15 or so years of its life honored the people in skilled nursing facilities who were its patients as well as the ethics of the various mental health professions involved--psychology, social work, and psychiatry.

About 5-6 years ago, Vericare was sold to a group of investors who do not have a background in mental health care and who's interest is primarily in the bottom line. Their goal has been to squeeze as much money as possible from Medicare, Medicaid, and other third-party payors in order to enhance their bottom line and make the company attractive to other investors. Vericare has become a microcosm of what is wrong with our healthcare system overall. Through privatization it has become all about profit and economic opportunity versus a high quality of health care.

That said, I enjoy my work in the skilled nursing facilities I have served over the past 9 1/2 years with Vericare. Vericare does many things right--from streamlining our documentation process by giving us IPads to creating and contributing to a 401(k) for even its part-time employees. The managers in Vericare who are mental health professionals are excellent at trying to match the goals of a highly trained professional provider with those of the corporate world

However, the continuing pressure that the corporate office puts on providers for increased productivity strikes me as being professionally unethical. The expectation that we will treat 8-12 patients per day plus do documentation for which we are held accountable
  more... is unrealistic at best and unconscionable at worst.  less

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VeriCare. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2