Verisk Health Employee Reviews

Don't think about advancement
Retrieval Agent (Current Employee) –  Ephraim, UTMarch 9, 2017
This place is so melancholy. There is no room for advancement, if you talk to your neighbor for a second you get yelled at and there are very few people who are friendly. The pay is terrible for the type of work being done and management does a poor job at recognizing people who do great.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Good working environment with great coworkers
Records Retrieval Agent (Former Employee) –  Ephraim, UTFebruary 11, 2017
Working at Verisk was a great experience for me. The job required us to call medical offices around the US on behalf of specific insurance companies and retrieve patients' medical records. Everything was very confidential and followed the HIPAA laws. Having this job helped me learn more about how important it is to keep others medical records secret and also how the medical world works. For me, working at a cubicle is hard, and it was not easy sitting at a desk all day being on a computer. I did enjoy my coworkers very much and also the team leads around the office. It was a very controlled and enjoyable working environment. It was a serious environment also, but there were times when we were able to laugh and enjoy outside work conversation.
Pros
Healthcare benefits, salary, coworkers
Cons
Short breaks, consistent desk work
Can be a drag
Senior Software Solutions Engineer (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAFebruary 14, 2017
There are some great people working in the Waltham, MA office of what is now Verscend after the sell off of Verisk Health from the Verisk parent company. The group in Kathmandu, Nepal can make your work day challenging. The software products were originally developed by this group and the result continues to use ancient technology and be quite buggy.

Verscend is still trying to find its footing after the separation from Verisk. Because of the loss of some of the largest clients with no replacements in sight, the company needed a major layoff to keep going.

I think that the company has potential since the software developers in Waltham are trying to move the Nepal group to use a contemporary ASP.NET stack for the web site. A lot depends on whether or not some of the possible clients can be acquired.
Pros
Nice people in Waltham
Cons
The financial situation and the challenges that come out of the Nepal group.
Great place to work!
Data Analyst II (Current Employee) –  South Jordan, UTAugust 2, 2016
Great place to work! I've learned a lot that is betterin my career. Verisk offers great education opportunities. Great benefits. Laid back environment.
Pros
Great work environment.
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunities.
no benefits with temp, temp contract end without notice
Supervisor Amanda Watkins (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 23, 2017
enjoy remote working, hours available great, pay was ok, available work, no promotion, contract ended abruptly, no one was available if you had question or needed assistance.
IT Reactionary management and poor benefits make for a bad work environment
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 9, 2016
Reactionary management leads to lots of nights and weekends. There is little to no forward thinking. High turnover makes it very difficult to get anything done as nobody has product knowledge. Nights/weekends are standard for SMEs punishing them for hard work and knowledge. Multiple war rooms happening at a time to put out fires is normal, then those employees get yelled at by upper management when trying to resolve issues. Morale is very low. Communication is very poor. Job roles and responsibilities are very unclear. Lots of managers (bosses) and no leadership. No advancement opportunities or employee development plans. Instead of considering internal, the standard is to hire external.

Benefits are minimal. They have 2 options for health care because one doesn't qualify for the minimum requirement for one if the states in which they have an office. 401K matching is done with company stock.

Salaries tend to be high. PTO is about average, not too bad. Maternal/Paternal leave available.
Pros
High Salaries
Cons
Nights/weekends, no advancement, reactionary management, poor communication
An organization in transition
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 28, 2016
Great place for self-starters, lot of opportunity. However, after the recent acquisition by Veritas, the company is going through a lot of transition. For those who embrace change, this could be good. Feels a little rocky right now.
good place to work
Coder I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 1, 2017
I worked remote in this company. My duties were to read documents and apply codes. My overall accuracy is 97%. I learned a lot with the training that the company offers and good discussions with QAs about coding problems.
Pros
free encoder pro and aapc affiliation
Cons
breaks
Worst IT shop in Richmond VA
Sr. Software Developer, Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 2, 2016
Many people who worked at Verisk when I was there came in with the best of intentions, gung-ho to do the right thing and improve the medical world through technology.

Almost all of them were squashed into place and forced to comply or leave as Verisk took over from Healthrisk Partners and ruined everything that made the company great prior.

There are still some shining lights persisting at Verisk, trying desperately to save the place. But ultimately it was an experience I wish I could go back in time and convince myself to avoid.

Staff often pointed out when corporate/director/architect decisions were going to cause problems and would usually offer alternatives and solutions with the same, or a superior, end result that would avoid, or prevent, the problems they were forecasting. Those people were generally ignored, pushed aside or "put in their place". The only answer that seemed acceptable was to use whatever sized sledgehammer necessary to jam the solution home, even if it was the wrong way to do things, because there was ALWAYS time to do things twice, and never any time to do things right.

Middle management was quite adept at floating smoke screens to upper management and deflecting, or hiding, blame. They never seemed capable of handling the real issues, handling under-performing staff, recognizing over-performing staff or really doing much of anything. Most middle management could be caught regularly watching streaming services like Netflix or Hulu right at their desk, while the people they managed worked double and triple shifts to meet unreasonable, unyielding
  more... deadlines.

Verisk Health was like a perfect case study on how beating people down long enough will, in fact, drive most of them into submission and turn them into mindless drones. Every now and then some of them wake up and jump ship, but the entire place stays afloat simply because too many of their staff feel downtrodden and trapped.
Pros
I met a few nice people that are still friends
Cons
Name any con you like, it's probably present here
Temporary job
Medical Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 1, 2016
Great flexible work environment. Very team oriented approach to completing tasks. Would have enjoyed working with them full time however I was hired for a temporary project.
Good Company
Data Ops Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 23, 2016
Worked with medical insurance companies, including Aetna, Coventry, Anthem and other clients of VH, to ensure their revenue-generating business objectives.
Communicate with clients and clients servers.
Great work/life balance
Nice team.
Productive and fun workplace with large breakroom
Retrieval Agent (Former Employee) –  Ephraim, UTFebruary 11, 2016
Great job with excellent benefits. Ability to build a career in company. Excellent Pay and faculty. I will miss my employment with this company.
Pros
Great on the job training
Cons
Productivity based have to meet a daily quota
Third Party Company
Retrieval Agent/Convergys (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 7, 2016
This company is hired by insurance companies who need medical records. Being part of a third party contracted company is not all that great. You got Verisk agents that don't know how to look up facility information to save their life. The insurance companies in my opinion can get the medical records themselves. I'm sorry but when you work at a company who is contracted with a company that is contracted with different companies, that is tacky to me. You have people who do not have a clue as to what they are doing and why. Then they want to pay the third party company 10.75 an hour knowing good and well for all the work we have to do, it should be more than that! I don't have good things to say about this company because this company is disorganized and needs a big reevaulation.
Great Team of people to work with
Client Services Representative - Aetna/Coventry (Current Employee) –  South Jordan, UTJune 29, 2015
Job is challenging and you work hard. Overtime is a definite especially if you are salary. Management is fair. Love working with the different departments and working together as a team.
Pros
Team oriented company
Cons
Work long hours
Very employee friendly and high quality
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  South Jordan, UTOctober 19, 2015
This company is very dedicated to service and in providing a high quality product. Since the work involves very sensitive information (medical documents) their security is extremely tight, so as to protect personal information, both for employees and for their clients. They are also very concerned with each employee as a person, being very flexible and understanding to personal circumstances, being willing to work with you, whatever your circumstances may be. Benefits are very good (if you can get on permanently) such as discounted stock options, excellent insurance (low premiums with high coverage) and employee matching for 401K.
Pros
Employee matching for 401K, discounted stock options, excellent insurance (low premiums with high coverage), tight security (to protect both employee information and all client information)
Cons
A lot of temporary work, so it's hard to get on permanently.
Ok Company
Coder Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond,VAMarch 3, 2015
A company that strives to set the best work environment.... Management changes often and the benefits are competitive. If you're looking for a remote experience this is not the greatest company to work for...the expectations change from day to day.
Fun place to work
Records Retrieval Agent (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTSeptember 8, 2015
Great Management and great company to work for.
The company is really great in being one on one with their employees.
Its a great where you can climb up to the team management level or to go to higher level in the department.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
benefits are not that good
No Way
Medical Records Retrieval Agent (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTMarch 28, 2016
Verisk Health is not the company that they try to portray online.

As a former employee I can tell you that company is not worth to work for

The Team Leaders are able to do whatever they want with ZERO recourse at all

You are forced to reach their quota every single day or your job is on the line.

You are required to contact as many medical providers as possible and obtain their precious medical records

I would never recommend anyone to work there
Good workplace with little room for advancement.
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  South Jordan, UTMay 31, 2015
A typical day at work included reviewing medical records and searching for correct requests. Dealt with sensitive information. We were able to listen to music and talk to others. The hardest part of the job was the lack of a clear career path. Management was good and listened to our suggestions.
Verisk Health
Records Retrieval Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ephraim, UTAugust 5, 2015
I worked at Verisk Health for 6 months. The compensation was decent. Job duties included calling medical facilities to verify information so we could request medical records on behalf of insurance companies and lawyers offices. Follow-up calls would be made until the request was filled.

There was a high expectation on how many facilities needed to be called every day and how many records needed to come in each day. It was difficult to meet these expectations no matter how hard I tried. We would have breaks but there wasn't much time to get to know our co-workers.
Pros
The pay
Cons
Not enough time to get to know co-workers, Expectations were very difficult to reach.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Verisk Health. Our community is ready to answer.