Verizon Employee Reviews in United States

Found 10,203 reviews matching the search
Big Red
Senior Consultant, Operations (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 29, 2016
Verizon has grown from its not-so-humble beginnings as a conglomeration of landline, European and start-up telecommunications companies to the U.S. mega company it is today. In the earlier years, there was much room for advancement and innovation and hard work got you moved in and up. Now, it's mostly red tape and politics, as expected from a company in the Fortune 500 Top 20. There is a saying, "Our best is good enough for today, but tomorrow we'll do better." That basically meant 12 hour days, weekends, holidays, nights...leaders are "on" 24/7. There is no "down time." The titles were inflated and the pay excellent, but beware the yearly "re-org" purges and giant career sucking sound coming from New Jersey. I do believe senior leaders have a sound, long-term vision for success and the people are earnest.
Pros
Pay, benefits, 401(k) matching, on-site gyms, tuition reimbursement, discounts
Cons
work-life balance, slow technology adoption, management layers, "red tape"
Broken Promises Abound
Tech Expert (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNMarch 14, 2016
While the work is not difficult (though stressful) and the compensation is adequate, the work culture, management and advancement system is beyond repair. Verizon has gone so far into its legal shell that they can no longer see that their "fair" hiring practices are a) anything but; and b) cause them to lose valuable talent. It saddens me that I threw away 6 years of my working life on a promise of advancement that was never really going to be kept. I would not advise my enemies to apply to work for them let alone my friends or family.
Pros
benefits and compensation
Cons
work environment and dubious hiring practices
Good place to work if you don't mind sitting all day.
Phone coodinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2016
I have been working for Verizon Wireless for 8 yrs and 3 months. A Typical day there consists of answering approx. 35 incoming calls from our business customers.We take care of any needs that our customers may need from, billing to troubleshooting, to doing upgrades to helping them run reports for their business. Everyday at Verizon Wireless is a learning experience so we are constantly learning about new system enhancements or promotions .The management team there is pretty layed back for the most part as long as you are doing your work. I would say the hardest part of my job is being able to be extremely efficient on your calls, vzw expects world call customer service out of there phone coordinators.The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help people with with their phones & technology .
Pros
Good hours / Benifits
Cons
Short Breaks
Soul-sucking, debasement of corporate work
National Program Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 22, 2016
This is a highly political environment; with poor leadership at Senior Exec. and C-suite levels. There is no clear vision, or adherence to mission statements for leadership, and they truly live in an ivory tower. Advancement is slow if not paralyzed, due to constant reorganizations (literally a layoff or reorg each year since 2001). There's also a sense of futility in the work effort made from employees, as leadership's annual mismanagement of budgets ALWAYS leads to layoffs or vendor cutback at the cost of the business. This cutback on headcount always leads to unrealistic expectations of delivery timelines vs. means to deliver.
Pros
Remote Working, Good benefit package, Good people in management who can make the environment tolerable
Cons
Constant reorganizations, No work/life balance, Backstabbing executives who only protect themselves
It was good while it lasted...
Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHJanuary 28, 2016
Then, everything changed when the Wireless and Wireline units merged. Everything became a race to the bottom. Transformation after transformation happened while we were still adjusting to and starting to get benefit from the previous one, when the obvious reality was that they were deep in debt and needed the money, even if it meant sacrificing quality and U.S. employees.

I happened to like my managers. All four of them. The guys above them, though, are a separate and more depressing discussion. As the trend-setting company, one would think that they wouldn't follow other companies and their failed ideas. But they did.

It wasn't all bad. But I got lucky with a good team and good projects. But once it disappeared, it went downhill. I don't see them going back up any time soon.
Pros
Great benefits, company discounts, lots of opportunities for the ambitious
Cons
Cut-throat environment, work-life balance is a struggle
Be careful what you ask for.
Management (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 30, 2015
Verizon has great benefits. I have learned over the past 20 years with the company that the Verizon culture is changing and where there use to be close co workers and a team mentality it has changed into a "what can I get for myself" culture. No more team work or helping out your fellow co worker. I would suggest that anyone looking at Verizon would use this company as a stepping stone in your career until you can find something else more fulfilling.
As for the senior management, they have succeeded in sending Verizon into a death spiral. There have been no great ideas in the last decade. Go90 and HUM? Give me a break. If you need more evidence look at the stock price for the last 10 years. It has barely budged. I have been proud to be a Verizon employee but since the current CEO has taken over the culture has changed to where we were individuals, to anyone can be replaced at anytime no matter your accomplishments. So sad to see such a great company becoming a industry joke.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Poor senior leadership
Fast Paced, Performance Based
Marketing (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 8, 2016
If you're in sales not only are you very well compensated but you are incentivized beyond belief. If you are a support function (which I was) you are truly behind the scenes, even when it comes to reward/recognition.
There is little work-life balance. It's encouraged but not possible to achieve.
There is little loyalty from the company for high performance, hard work, results and tenure.
Pros
Amazing benefits and forward thinking company.
Cons
Upper management hierarchy is prevalent, open door policy is false, you are reprimanded for questioning.
corporate america
Customer Service and Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMarch 1, 2016
incoming calls for billing, and technical support, overall great training, wonderful benefits, but company has unreasonable expectations on supervisors and this carries down to staff, there is little ability for movement, and the company does not encourage an environment for loyal employees who stay for years, after a short time employees cap out on their wages and can no longer receive raises unless they move to a new position, which is not possible.
Pros
50% off phone bill
Cons
negative management environment
Great Benefits and some good people too
Manager systems engineer (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAFebruary 17, 2016
Verizon is a place where time can slip away. Everyday brings something new to spend time on and you have to keep everything else moving forward at the same time - People tend to pull together when there are issues but they also like to play the "blame game" so be careful. Mixed reviews around management - some are awesome others do not belong in management at all - My team and management was pretty good - I find that it helps when I am an open leader and keep my relationships built on trust.
Pros
Pay/Benefits
Cons
Long hours/Red tape
Great Pay and Great Benefits
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAFebruary 10, 2016
A recognizable brand, for sure! The pay was great and the medical benefits superb. Work/life balance depends on your management. Mine was fantastic and understood the challenges of being a working parent. The company seems to be headed towards less flexibility but it is a huge company and I'm certain it depends on your management.

Several organizations are going through "transformation" and it's creating a bit of chaos. Experience and expertise is being replaced by the handfuls.
Pros
BENEFITS, BONUSES
Cons
Transformation CHAOS
Great company and wonderful people
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2016
Great place to work; wonderful people to work with. Many opportunities throughout the various organizations and divisions - however you must take it upon yourself to take advantage when the opportunities present themselves (should be fairly common anywhere though). Engaged and skilled management staff and co-workers. Great environment for those who subscribe to the axiom of always learning new things as playing a major role in their life career.
Pros
Professional, engaging work environment, Upward mobility, various career opportunities, Skilled/talented workforce
Cons
Identity issues regarding current/future position in the industry (i.e. Telecom vs Other), organization challenges
Best place ever worked at
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 20, 2016
Verizon is an incredible place to work at. Management is amazing and culture is one of a kind. You become very close with employees and co-workers. Compensation is next to none. Verizon makes a difference.
The hardest part was when I was asked to retire after dedicating 31 years of service.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Job security
Verizon can be a sweatshop
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 8, 2016
I worked at Verizon for 5 years. The first 2 were great but due to constant upper leadership changes the company failed to maintain a consistent form of operating. They change pay structures and commissions on a whim and over hire people to weed the weaker employees out. When I came there was only 5 sales reps per location and last I heard there was 13. The benefits were great! $20 deductibles at the doctors made having your family on your plan very easy. Holidays are the worst, you can't enjoy Thanksgiving or Christmas without having to be in the office the next day at 6 or 7am. Forget work life balance when you work for this company. Great for single people coming out of college but horrible if you're a family man/woman.
Pros
Pay is good, benefits are great, overtime available, constantly growing company.
Cons
Sweatshop, very inconsiderate of work/life balance.
Excellent benefits
SYSTEM TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 16, 2016
Overall organization was great to work for. Management at specific sites did not embody the organization culture. I learned a great deal about wireless technologies and actually utilized my education. Hardest part of job was working with management and cliques.
Pros
Benefits, work/life balance
Cons
local management, very intolerant
Fast Paced, Technology Focused
Manager, Organizational Development, Corporate (Former Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJMarch 21, 2016
If you are able to travel or live near Basking Ridge, NJ, Verizon is a power house company to work for. They have great benefits, their compensation package is competitive with the job market, their environment is fast paced and energetic. A typical day at the job would be get ready for a new change directive, learn how to adapt quickly, support each other and work in team cross organizational environments. The hardest part of the job is working across multiple organizations, the most enjoyable part is getting the project done!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long commute if you do not live near Basking Ridge, NJ
Great place to work!!
Executive Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  PAJanuary 26, 2016
Everyone is very friendly, pay is great and so are the benefits. Management is supportive in pursue your education or career goals. The most enjoyable part of the job is you leave work and get to stop thinking about your job. They have many opportunities to advance and receive more pay.
Pros
Paid overtime, work/life balance
Cons
held to punching in and out
Sometimes a company can be just too big.
Business/Government Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTFebruary 16, 2016
Verizon pays its employees very well. Benefits are great including annual bonuses and big raises for performance. The problem is that they have gotten so big that employees have become numbers and not people. When I worked there it seemed like they didn't care if you had a personal problem. There were policies around attendance (which I understand) but there was little to no leeway for extenuating circumstances. I worked for the company for almost a decade and was unable to move up no matter how hard I worked. I moved around the company but it was impossible to promote unless you knew someone.
Pros
Benefits and excellent pay
Cons
It didn't feel like they cared about me
Verizon (family, friends and opportunity)
Sr. Manager Business Operation Admin & DBA (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 15, 2016
I have spent more than half my life with what is now Verizon corporate and it has provided myself with a great work life and balanced family environment.

While with Verizon I worked from the ground up starting with customer calling phone sales to Sr. Management of Business Operations. During this time I acquired a great deal of skills through company and external training and utilized them to assist in their success.
Pros
Could work remotely
Cons
Its a big company therefore big change which has impacted myself and others
Fast paced enviroment with constant changes in a growing company.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Newburgh, INJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day at the store would include training my employees to better their sales and interacting with customers to ensure the most positive experience. I have learned many new things in the years of working for this company. The management provides a beneficial culture for their employees to thrive in. The most enjoyable part of this job is the ability to be able to determine your own compensation to a certain extent.
Pros
401K, Healthcare
Great Company Benefits
Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, INMarch 4, 2016
Great company benefits, work/life balance difficult to manage but overall a very good company with paid training.

Not a great company for vertical growth. Stagnant.

Would recommend for someone interested in sales and technology.
Pros
Free Lunches in Training, Great commission structure
Cons
Work/Life Balance, Micromanagement