Vertex Inc. Employee Reviews

Wonderful owners. Great place to work but job security iffy
Sr. Technical Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 2, 2017
Best job I ever had. Owners are wonderful people, kind and thoughtful. Main office in PA very secure, but be careful on the Income Tax side. Iffy job security.
Poor
Manager of Operations (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, PASeptember 24, 2017
There is an disparity between the articulated culture and the reality. The HR department lacks credibility and advocacy of employee process and programs. Frequently, people with no knowledge of SME areas are given full reign to manage and direct work for those areas, for example IT professionals directing and creating organization structure - or OD Leaders directing Sales work. It is a very unhealthy place to work. Disengagement is high.
Pros
It is a job
Cons
Toxic environment
great company
Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PASeptember 6, 2017
great company to work for. I Was hired for a position that I thought would work well, but didn't end up being a great fit for me. No fault of the company, it just wasn't a good fit. Truly a great company and work environment.
A great place to work
ECMO Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, PAAugust 15, 2017
Very Productive and a great place to work. Very relaxed atmosphere. I have learned the Vertex O'Series system. The most enjoyable part of my job is the team I work with . I could not ask for a better team.

I have learned that the management team here takes great pride in their employees.
Pros
Flextime
great company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scottsbluff, NEFebruary 26, 2017
recremen to purse career with vertex amazing company and great employees and team working crew provides health and life insurance good career to grow and be part of
Great work/life balance but relatively flat
TAX DATA ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Chesterbrook, PAFebruary 19, 2017
Great work/life balance but little to no room for advancement across most of the organization. Good benefits, good people, but slow decision making, poor management and guidance.
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
Slow decision making
Software manufacturer that misses the target
Senior Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 14, 2017
This software manufacturer has the opportunity to shine and become a leader. Quality of a product is developed through attitude of those who manufacture it. Quality should be developed through attitude and improved processes and procedures backed with facts from measurement. From management to "mail clerk", "quality" is an attitude. Discussion of developing a quality product, measuring the processes it takes to develop such a product and making changes to correct and improve processes are minimal.
Pros
Income, benefits, including vacation time are exceptional
Cons
Changes to improve processes are very, very slow
Good Company and People, Strong VVM
Lead Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 2, 2017
The company has what I believe to be is an excellent Vision, Values and Mission. They are challenging and people work hard to attain them and live by them. It is a tough market that Vertex competes in and challenges abound. With that, so does opportunity.
Pros
Opportunity to grow, benefits, people
Cons
Model of "inclusion" means decisions/results sometimes take longer in order to obtain consensus.
This is the BEST company I have ever worked for.
In-bound Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PAJanuary 31, 2017
From front-to-back. There is no other company like this one! From the corporate culture to the people that I worked with; the organization has no equal!
Pros
free softdrinks, flex schedules
Cons
Challenging work and excellent benefits
SOFTWARE DEVELOPER (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 13, 2016
Vertex, Inc. is among the best companies with which to work. Respect and dignity are built into their culture. An employee is free to challenge his/her self as much as they like.
Pros
great work
Consultant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutOctober 4, 2016
Many assignments with multiple clients
Great travel opportunities
Multiple BA and QA positions
Worked with wonderful people and clients
Family Owned Privately Held
Contingent (Former Employee) –  ChesterbrookOctober 20, 2015
I worked at Vertex as what is called a "Contingent" (yes, it was on our nametags). Vertex employs roughly 1/3 temporary staff. Ironically, many of the HR staff that recruit and hire talent are Contingents themselves.

The work here is easy. The people there are generally friendly (friendly as deer in headlights). The career paths at Vertex are not very good, mostly because the company has only recently experienced growth, therefore all of those types of career paths and "rising star" paths truly have not been developed.

I was laid off the week before Christmas. I take issue with that. My very last day at Vertex, after 6 mos., was on Dec. 19th. Not actually the warmest, holiday spirit feeling - at all. Additionally, my manager was a nitpicker and possibly a saboteur. I would frequently have my work saved over in the server, things would go missing also.

The work environment is peaceful but so are many corporate environments nowadays where typewriters have been replaced by quiet keyboards. The only redeeming quality of this company from my perspective are the staff. I enjoyed so much being with the employees of the company and I was sad when I had to go.

I was informed in December my last day of Dec. 19th via EMAIL. Yes, email. It's hard to believe a company could care any less about the people actually creating the content being shipped to its customers, but they do! My supervisor gave me his word he would provide a letter of recommendation, but during the last week he said he would not. Take that what you will, but it's certainly an abrupt change, for
  more... whatever reason. I was the 4th of my team of about 7 or 8 to go. It's sad to see a company with arrogant management, you figure they are making money off of taxpayer money really; all they do is report tax rates and profit off of disseminating that information.

What you do here is basically mine that data through legislation and report it in excel spreadsheets which are then imported into databases, those databases then link up with SAP software which manages transactions online and retail so wherever the transaction is the correct taxable amount will be recovered.

The company or at least an individual in the company reportedly also owned a stake in Avalara (Vertex's only competitor) which might violate anti-trust laws. Shouldn't the government be doing something like this? If not, shouldn't the government be funding a competitive atmosphere to ensure nobody has a monopoly on this type of information?

I saw that Vertex was voted such a highly ranked family company recently in a prestigious poll. Where I am here to give you my impression of the company. The people are great and I loved my colleagues, even if they were real employees and I was only a "contingent."

Additionally, as a contingent I made $16.50 an hour but a fellow contingent working through a different staffing agency made around $23.
Pros
Flex time, Care free
Cons
1/3 Contingent workforce, abrupt layoffs, total opaqueness with management
DLL - A High Volume Leasing Company
Accommodation Tax Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PAOctober 7, 2015
I spent 6+ years at DLL and would like to say that it was a great company to work with. I had the unfortunate luck to be there when the company had a major reorganization, but they treated me fairly-and that is all you could have asked for in my situation.
Pros
in-house cafeteria, good benefits
Cons
management could have been a bit more open
Good place to work for
Business Analyst Consultant (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJuly 16, 2015
Good place to work, opportunity for different experiences. Family atmosphere. Opportunity to learn. Enjoyed working at different companies with various cultures
Great environment to work in
Tax Exemption Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  ChesterbrookJune 16, 2015
Vertex is a very good company to work for. If you get your work done they do not bother you. Very flexible hours and very relaxed.
Working alone
Oil Processor Operator (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXJanuary 7, 2015
My typical day is to unloading trucks treat tanks for incoming trucks to make room.
Tax Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PANovember 10, 2014
This is one of the most supportive and agreeable working environments you are likely to find. You will be amazed by the number of quality people you come into contact with. Scheduling is flexible and the hours are very reasonable. The corporate culture is fantastic and real attention is paid to the idea of the work-life balance, not just lip service.
Pros
Flexibility, culture, working environment, benefits
Cons
middle management
A Good company to work for.
Tax Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PAOctober 14, 2014
Vertex is a good company to work for and has been a great place to hone certain skills. However as I mentioned in my "con" its a flat hierarchy and there is very little room for advancement. There is also very little turnover therefore positions of interest almost never become available.

There is growth but it is at a snails pace which is good for stability but bad for advancement. I have nothing bad to say about the place but its not for everyone. I thoroughly enjoyed my cheerful colleagues and the inviting buildings to work in.
Pros
Work-life balance, excellent benefits, great paid time off, inviting facilities.
Cons
Flat hierarchy, little room for advancement, repetitive work, little technology for software company
Productive and great family oriented place to work.
Tax Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 10, 2014
Vertex is a great place to work. Everyone there is helpful and always willing to help. The work place is very family oriented.
Pros
Free coffee and Tea all day everyday
Cons
short lunch break for temps
Nice place to work.
Tax Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, PAAugust 22, 2014
Vertex is extremely laid back. They are also extremely flexible. The only downside I feel is that our office is a cubicle maze; however, not all offices are set up with nearly as high of walls. I hear people but never see them, and it makes it really hard to reach out and meet other coworkers.

Vertex does focus a lot on development. There are plenty of opportunities to grow there and many senior-level staff that you can learn from.
Pros
Good growth opportunities. Laid back. Good compensation and pay. Flexible schedules.
Cons
Walled in atmosphere, tough to get to know your coworkers. Sometimes people abuse the laid-back atmosphere, like eating their cereal at their desk, clipping their nails at their desk, and taking calls on their cell phone at their desk, when we are all packed in close together and can hear everything each other does.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vertex Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2