Vertex Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Good place to work for
Business Analyst Consultant (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJuly 16, 2015
Good place to work, opportunity for different experiences. Family atmosphere. Opportunity to learn. Enjoyed working at different companies with various cultures
Tax Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PANovember 10, 2014
This is one of the most supportive and agreeable working environments you are likely to find. You will be amazed by the number of quality people you come into contact with. Scheduling is flexible and the hours are very reasonable. The corporate culture is fantastic and real attention is paid to the idea of the work-life balance, not just lip service.
Pros
flexibility, culture, working environment, benefits
Cons
middle management
Great environment to work in
Tax Exemption Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  ChesterbrookJune 16, 2015
Vertex is a very good company to work for. If you get your work done they do not bother you. Very flexible hours and very relaxed.
A Good company to work for.
Tax Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PAOctober 14, 2014
Vertex is a good company to work for and has been a great place to hone certain skills. However as I mentioned in my "con" its a flat hierarchy and there is very little room for advancement. There is also very little turnover therefore positions of interest almost never become available.

There is growth but it is at a snails pace which is good for stability but bad for advancement. I have nothing bad to say about the place but its not for everyone. I thoroughly enjoyed my cheerful colleagues and the inviting buildings to work in.
Pros
work-life balance, excellent benefits, great paid time off, inviting facilities.
Cons
flat hierarchy, little room for advancement, repetitive work, little technology for software company
Nice place to work.
Tax Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, PAAugust 22, 2014
Vertex is extremely laid back. They are also extremely flexible. The only downside I feel is that our office is a cubicle maze; however, not all offices are set up with nearly as high of walls. I hear people but never see them, and it makes it really hard to reach out and meet other coworkers.

Vertex does focus a lot on development. There are plenty of opportunities to grow there and many senior-level staff that you can learn from.
Pros
good growth opportunities. laid back. good compensation and pay. flexible schedules.
Cons
walled in atmosphere, tough to get to know your coworkers. sometimes people abuse the laid-back atmosphere, like eating their cereal at their desk, clipping their nails at their desk, and taking calls on their cell phone at their desk, when we are all packed in close together and can hear everything each other does.
Very inspiring incrediable place to work. Everyone is respectful towards everyone else. I have really enjoyed my time working here.
Intern Communications and Public Affairs (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, PAMay 10, 2012
Proof read and edited marketing collateral and promotional materials while observing Marketing meetings held between the stakeholders of the company. Helped prepare materials for quarterly meetings with Board Members while working on list/database and analysis. Also, assist in work preparing press releases for the media, while assisting in various Marketing activities for the three Marketing Project Leaders. Worked with Internal Communications in taking photographs of company events and writing articles for company newsletter.
Great benefits, friendly work environment
CSR (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 10, 2013
On a typical day you make coffee and get ready to take calls from utility customers...I learned to be patient and listen...Management is knowledgeable and will work with you...Co-workers are helpful and like to feed you...The hardest part of the job is knowing when you can not help the customer but offer the best advice possible...The most enjoyable part of the job is when a customer calls to give you a thank you for a job well done and management puts you in a grab bag for a gift card.
Pros
employee appreciation
Cons
sit a lot, sometimes stressful
Great place to work, poor advancement opportunities
Software Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, PASeptember 26, 2013
This is a great company to work for but they are very poor at developing internal employees and make it almost impossible to move positions within the company.
Pros
great work atmoshphere life/work balance
Cons
poor internal advancement
Productive and great family oriented place to work.
Tax Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 10, 2014
Vertex is a great place to work. Everyone there is helpful and always willing to help. The work place is very family oriented.
Pros
free coffee and tea all day everyday
Cons
short lunch break for temps
nice easy work great superviser
machine operator (Former Employee) –  mogadore ohioNovember 26, 2012
my day was 1st shift 7am to 3pm unless working over time inspected gaskets packed gaskets for shipping sometimes ran machine to splice gaskets
Pros
easy work
Cons
very bad higher management wasnt aloud 2 talk 2 other employees no pay raises
Working alone
Oil Processor Operator (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXJanuary 7, 2015
My typical day is to unloading trucks treat tanks for incoming trucks to make room.
Great Company
Communications and Public Affairs Intern (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PAJuly 21, 2014
Great work environment with competent employees.
I learned a lot about the industry.
Pros
work environment
Family Owned Privately Held
Contingent (Former Employee) –  ChesterbrookOctober 20, 2015
I worked at Vertex as what is called a "Contingent" (yes, it was on our nametags). Vertex employs roughly 1/3 temporary staff. Ironically, many of the HR staff that recruit and hire talent are Contingents themselves.

The work here is easy. The people there are generally friendly (friendly as deer in headlights). The career paths at Vertex are not very good, mostly because the company has only recently experienced growth, therefore all of those types of career paths and "rising star" paths truly have not been developed.

I was laid off the week before Christmas. I take issue with that. My very last day at Vertex, after 6 mos., was on Dec. 19th. Not actually the warmest, holiday spirit feeling - at all. Additionally, my manager was a nitpicker and possibly a saboteur. I would frequently have my work saved over in the server, things would go missing also.

The work environment is peaceful but so are many corporate environments nowadays where typewriters have been replaced by quiet keyboards. The only redeeming quality of this company from my perspective are the staff. I enjoyed so much being with the employees of the company and I was sad when I had to go.

I was informed in December my last day of Dec. 19th via EMAIL. Yes, email. It's hard to believe a company could care any less about the people actually creating the content being shipped to its customers, but they do! My supervisor gave me his word he would provide a letter of recommendation, but during the last week he said he would not. Take that what you will, but it's certainly an abrupt change, for
  more... whatever reason. I was the 4th of my team of about 7 or 8 to go. It's sad to see a company with arrogant management, you figure they are making money off of taxpayer money really; all they do is report tax rates and profit off of disseminating that information.

What you do here is basically mine that data through legislation and report it in excel spreadsheets which are then imported into databases, those databases then link up with SAP software which manages transactions online and retail so wherever the transaction is the correct taxable amount will be recovered.

The company or at least an individual in the company reportedly also owned a stake in Avalara (Vertex's only competitor) which might violate anti-trust laws. Shouldn't the government be doing something like this? If not, shouldn't the government be funding a competitive atmosphere to ensure nobody has a monopoly on this type of information?

I saw that Vertex was voted such a highly ranked family company recently in a prestigious poll. Where I am here to give you my impression of the company. The people are great and I loved my colleagues, even if they were real employees and I was only a "contingent."

Additionally, as a contingent I made $16.50 an hour but a fellow contingent working through a different staffing agency made around $23.
Pros
Flex time, Care free
Cons
1/3 Contingent workforce, abrupt layoffs, total opaqueness with management
Team culture
Information Developer (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PAFebruary 17, 2014
I was beholden to the needs of the product teams for which I wrote product documentation.
Love going to school
Clincial counselor (Current Employee) –  Gunhill Road Bronx NYFebruary 6, 2014
Ilove going to school to better educated my self and to ehance myself in job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vertex Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4