Vetco Clinics Employee Reviews

Worked from home
DATA INTEGRITY CLERK (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 3, 2017
I enjoyed working for this company as I was able to work from home. I would love to stay with this company, sadly I am unable to due the department being closed. I have learned so much that I hope to use it in my future career opportunities.
Pros
Meetings with food catered
Cons
No interaction with office (work from home)
Vetco is a excellent
Veterinary Assistant/ Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 3, 2017
Vetco is an excellent place to work at, especially if you're trying to gain experience and enjoy working with animals it is all around an exellent place to work at
Pros
Long breaks, enough hours
Clicky
Vet Tech Assistant (Former Employee) –  VASeptember 20, 2017
Slow pace, a lot of time wasted on the road, with weekend....Seeing the animals is the best part of the job at each location, no matter what they were.
Cons
Its who you know
Work alongside DVM to take care of our clients
Veterinary Technician/ Assistant (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COSeptember 14, 2017
My 1st Vet clinic environment. This has been one of the most influential experiences. Great management and coworkers. Learn a lot of hands on being that I'm still in school.
High pace work with a high turn over rate
VA (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 30, 2017
The job itself is great if you are a student and need some experience with customer service and animals. But you have to accept that there's no room for growth in the company. You can work your butt off, go above and beyond to try to get a promotion and it won't happen.
Pros
get to travel the state and work with animals all day
Cons
the stores are very hot (no ac), no room for advancement
Would be great if it was fair....
Clinic Lead (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMarch 20, 2017
Typical day: check in at scheduled time... travel with team to different clinics.

What I learned: A lot on animal medicine.

Management: The amount of favoritism is beyond anything I've ever seen at a company. If you're not on the manager's "Like List" watch yourself because you wont have a job for long. Managers favorites gets the most hours.

They don't work with you and you're schedule and will not accommodate.

Poor communication... Managers will tell different things to different employees. Managers tell their none favorite incorrect information so they can either reprimand or terminate them.

You're not fully trained before they expect you to work independently with 100% accuracy. you're also expected to do the job of three people at times.

If not on the favorite list don't expect a promotion or a raise, unless raise is mandatory by law

The Hardest Part: Not getting fired

Enjoyable Part: Seeing different places, and working with the pets
Pros
Working with the animals, the hours and travelling
Cons
Extreme amounts of favoritism and unfairness. Unsafe and Poorly Maintained Vans, and Equipment.
Envolves a lot of work but you have fun with puppies and kittens
Veterinary Assistant/ Rig Leas (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 13, 2017
I would not say that this is an easy job because you have to work hard physically and mentally but it is worth meeting the great people and animals. Its can be stressful at times but it is not too bad because it is a weekend job only. I really enjoy how much I have learned from the Vets that I work with. Also how you have to be very independent when it comes to not relying on your boss all of the time. This job is a great way to learn about yourself and how well you are with handling different people and situations.
Vetco review
Vet Assistant (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 5, 2017
Typical day at work was coming into Petco at 9am, setting up the room for the doctor, then waiting. Literally waiting for people to come with their dogs and cats and sometimes we would stand around at work from 10-5 and see 3 people. Yet PETCO manager (not the same as Vetco, therefore not my boss) was a beep about us walking around the store during these very slow times. Even though we were always attentive toward customers and did a good job. Also boss was unprofessional and hard to get along with.

Hardest part of the job: dealing with boss as well as a few horrible doctors. I mean a couple of the doctors I worked with should not have been certified vets. And management wanted nothing to do with the issue.

Most enjoyable part of the job: working with the animals
Pros
Easy, interesting, chose wage, room to move up
Cons
Slow work, only weekend job, mean boss, iffy doctors
Best Job I've had
CSR / Vet Assistant (Current Employee) –  South River, NJJanuary 19, 2017
Current employee here and I have to say I've never been happier with a job in my life. It has everything you want, animals, medical, traveling, and an amazing staff. Management is fantastic and very caring. There aren't any benefits but you do get a discount on petco items and a free vaccine package for your pet! Would highly recommend for anyone needing a side job on weekends or someone wanting to start in the animal medical field.
Pros
Management, Downtime between clinics, 12hr+ shifts, animals.
Amazing Animals / Terrible Managment
Veterinary Assistant / Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAJanuary 18, 2017
Was a great opportunity to get my feet in the veterinary world. Was hired to work at a location within 30 mins. of my home but am constantly forced to travel distances that take up to two hours to get too. All management does is complain and belittle you; if you blink wrong you will get wrote up.
Pros
Working with animals and learning new things from the vets
Cons
Managment sucks
Great place to work.
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJanuary 10, 2017
If you love animals, this is the place to be. We load up a van and drive from 20 minutes to 3 hours to Petco stores. There we set up clinics, some of which can be very busy. We meet puppies, dogs, and cats of all varieties and talk to their owners about their health. We provide vaccines and other disease prevention and educate "pet parents" about risks found in their pets' personal environments as well as South Carolina in general. (If your dog isn't on heartworm medication, he should be.)
Pros
Great part-time job
Cons
Can't think of any
coworkers are fun but no room for growth
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILDecember 7, 2016
starts at office loading vans then head to clinics.
learned how to fill out paper work
management is ok they are human
coworkers are fun and make the job fun and interactive
the hardest part is not always having what we need because it wasn't sent to us such as a correct amount of vaccinations. Another hard part is our equipment is broken and needs to be replaced.
the most enjoyable part is seeing good people help animals or pet parents loving their animals and getting to interact with the animals
Pros
get to go new places
Cons
not enough vaccinations and damaged equipment
Best Company I have ever worked for
CA / VA and Clinic Lead (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDDecember 6, 2016
I have been with Vetco ( Baltimore ) since June ... my first Boss while very nice was not a go getter .. my new boss is positively amazing .. every complaint or problem brought to her attention is addressed , she continuously gives us positive feedback on how we as a group and individually are doing .. if a pet parent can not afford certain vaccines we work with them to make sure that their animal gets everything that they need and do not go unprotected ...I have advanced in title and pay multiple times and working with animals and their parents well how can you have a bad day
Pros
Animal health education, advancement
Cons
Weekends
Great place to work!!
Veterinary Technician/customer service rep (Current Employee) –  South River, NJNovember 8, 2016
A current employee. Never really have any problems. Been here for 3 years. I started at minimum wage, but we get an anual raise so I'm happier with the pay now that I got some time in. There use to be that you can only work weekends, but now there are week clinics as well, so you can work atleast four day out of the week. We recently went under new management. I find the new one to be very friendly and understanding. The hours are sometime up to 15 hours.
Pros
12+ hours, down time between clinics, friendly staff, pay, calm envirement
Cons
Long day, frequent call out by employees
Love working here
Veterinarian Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 7, 2016
I work at the Oklahoma location. Have been for a year now. And I love it. The people are great, my boss is great. This place is a place to advance at such as protions. I recommend this job to people who enjoy the vet feild
Pros
Great people, manager is amazing, days off are easy to get
Horrible
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FL,November 2, 2016
upper management was very hands off. Very little support. Over all a horrible place to work. There were so many opportunities to make this a great place to work yet none of this opportunities were ever explored.
Pros
Travel
Cons
No management skills, pay
Weekends only are great, but that is the only perk.
Veterinarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJune 3, 2016
Worked for 5 years with company and never got a single promised raise. Was expected to do jobs of a higher pay grade without the pay. Management only cared about money not well being of employees or pet parents. If a customer couldn't afford the vaccinations, employees are instructed to guilt the customers into buying the larger packages. Employees need to reach a certain average of sale prices based on number of pets seen per clinic and if that average is not reached, they are threatened with demotion or termination which was not an original agreement upon employment. If an employee got hurt on the job no matter what the severity, they are expected to continue working through the day. If a hospital visit is required (due to animal bite which is very common), the employee needs to find their own ride home from wherever they are located. 'Company polices' are only used as guidelines even those put in place to protect employees. IE, no dog over 50lbs should be lifted on a table however most veterinarians demand all dogs on the table causing the employee to risk injury lifting a 80-100lb dog on the table and then restraining said animal. Most veterinarians ignored the warning signs of aggressive animals and just wanted their end of day paycheck. Most hired employees are smokers and despite the 'no smoking' policy, I was subjected to many car rides with both tobacco and Marijuana smoke. Highly recommend to avoid this employeer. Oh, and once hired, don't ever expect a single day off. No matter how many weeks in advance you ask, you will be denied.
Pros
12-hour days, down-time between clinics, working with animals
Cons
Horrible management, no hazard pay, no vacation or sick time
Continuing helpful information and knowledge withing this company
Clinic Lead/VA (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMarch 15, 2016
The mobile clinics are fun and easy to work for. On hand experience with doctors and pets, what could be better. I have learned so much that i want to further my knowledge and care into the vet field. Knowing that i made a difference in their health pet needs makes this job worth it! I recommend anybody who loves dogs or cats to take a challenge within this company and i guarantee you wont be disappointed.
Pros
traveling, making friends along the way, bonuses
Cons
not long enough work hours within each store, weekend only
income driven , not customer driven
crew member (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 31, 2015
The crew is told they will receive a bonus dependent on how many patients are seen. The drive is clearly to get as many through as possible. Any type of professional advice or discussion about care is discouraged but rather the pet owner is told to go to a nearby clinic is they have any concerns. A management tells the crew to complete each pet visit within 2 minutes. There is no way a complete physical can be done along with any blood draws in 2 minutes. Plus, the owner deserves to get the physical they pay for and communication about their pet. This just doesn't happen. comments by the crew have been made that they can just fill in the "TPR" for the pets. This is perhaps illegal. Once again, this is not about providing quality care but rather making money off owners that don't know any better.
motivated working environment to help pets
Vetco Clinics Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 21, 2015
Everyone that works at this company have the health of you pet top priority. I saw no pushing of unneeded items or vaccines and they have a knowledgeable staff.