Veterans Administration Hospital

Veterans Administration Hospital Employee Reviews

Found 1,551 reviews matching the search
Great place to be apart of helping others.
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63106March 23, 2017
Very busy place where taking care of our Vets who have served come first. I have 13 years of experience playing many key roles in a medical center. The management is just below average due to a lot of politics. The work place culture is very old fashion and may take time to get used to. The hardest part of the job is being able to adjust to constant change in procedures and policies. Helping to assist with Veterans and their families is clearly the best part of all.
Pros
Great Benefits and job security.
Cons
Old fashion culture that isn't held accountable or corrected.
beautiful campus and friendly staff spread among the varied departments
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAFebruary 28, 2017
I loved my job and found the tasks to be challenging but no too complex. I had a full day of steady job related tasks and enjoyed the occasional interruption of training a new employee or the need to assist another department with computer questions . I learned how to utilize various data bases for timekeeping and patient treatment tracking which made me more interested in advancing into a higher level of responsibility in my field. The majority of the staff within my department were wonderful to work with. The most difficult part of my job was leaving it and the many friends I made while working there.
Difficult place to work but to service patients is rewarding
Physician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GA 30033March 17, 2017
A typical work day in oncology is most difficult but rewarding. It is an honor to give back to veterans. Managers are difficult to work with as they are mostly physicians and have little to no training in people leadership. It is a silo effect workplace and will wear your spirit down overtime. One can find joy in the patients. Executive leadership have a knee-jerk work ethics but are trying to change the culture.
Pros
Patients are wonderful and the benefits are good
Cons
It is difficult to petition for fair wages and mangement is not leadership quality
Intern
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 15, 2017
I was an intern through high school. It was okay, all they really have you do is push patients around the hospital and take specimens to and from the lab. The hardest part about my internship was standing on my feet all day and watching nursing staff and doctors not really care about their patients. Granted i know they have over 50 to 100 patient but no one should be treated with the much lack of respect. Especially if they are veterans!
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Long time on your feet, short breaks
events
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 17, 2017
Time management was the key to my position. My environment was very pleasant, the staff was wonderful and always appreciated my work and gave positive reinforcement. The hardest part of my job was working on the hospital floor and seeing my follow veterans in hospital beds and was not able to leave or did not make it. And working I the nursing home one day you see a veteran and then the follow week they are gone.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
advancement slow
Best job to nowhere
Logistics Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 20, 2017
As a former WG-10 Step 5 Government employee (retired) this was one of the top 3 jobs I've ever had, but unfortunately it led to nowhere. I really liked working at the VA and woke up every morning looking forward to going to work. I learned much in a short period of time and I worked hard to do my best every day. My immediate supervisors & co-workers where great and I not only got along with everyone but made some good friends. I sincerely don't know what happened because nothing bad or negative ever happened in the 90 days I worked at the VA. I would have liked to have been brought on full-time even though the pay was very poor. This job led to nowhere.
Pros
Great co-workers, fun place to work!
Cons
Management is non-existent, Poor pay.
Amazing experience
Hospital Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 24, 2017
I helped a few departments that were all in the same area and it was fun. The patients were nice and funny, the doctors and therapists were so amazing, and the other volunteers were great. I got to learn how to set up the occupational therapy room, fill folders, input data into the computers, and make calls to patients. The hardest part of the job was leaving and the best part was coming in everyday to help the therapists and amazing patients.
I lost my job for no apparent serious reason.
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 15, 2017
Work environment was good. But management did not like to continue with me because of some reasons I do not know. They fired me because I was late some mornings while dropping my daughter in school and missing the shuttle bus to VA hospital. VA was unable to give parking to its employees. I had to park far from VA hospital and has to get VA given shuttle bus service to and from work place every day.
Pros
Good Salary
Cons
Do not give consideration to employees family need
Great working with our nations' heroes!
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEFebruary 13, 2017
Working with veterans is an amazing experience and a wonderful opportunity. The benefits of working with the government are fantastic. However, dealing with the bureaucracy of the administration can be exhausting. Although the job security is fantastic, the fact that people are not likely to get fired, even when they should, is frustrating.
Pros
Benefits, working with veterans.
Cons
Poor management, bureaucracy
I work with outside services to ensure that our patients getting the treatment that they need and require
Administrative duties (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAMarch 6, 2017
Iam responsible for inbound telephone inquiries and appointments. Provide professional courteous services focusing on patients like and dislikes. I have typed numerous reports and correspondence to sending out to various facilities, by doing this I ensure that paperwork is routed to proper place, also make sure it compliance with the Department rules and regulations. I also document patient conversation and send/retrieve information via pc.
Ability to work as a team player in a fast-paced environment, handling multiple priorities and quickly learning new procedures
The call center handles 15,000 a Month
Pros
Cons
Inter acting with people
LPN Full time
LPN (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, PAMarch 6, 2017
Very hard to advance, management already decides who they will hire for open positions before you can even interview for the position. Veterans can be disrespectful at times and nothing is done about it. Lots of beurocracy, things never change. Benefits are the best thing about this job and that is the only reason I am still here. Some of the veterans are very sweet and it's wonderful when you can build up a rapport with them and help them. Clinics are understaffed and therefore cannot keep doctors or nurses, veterans complain about this all the time. Good nurses and doctors leave because of excessive walk ins and demanding veterans. I cannot speak for other VA hospitals, perhaps they are better. Lebanon is a very small area.
Pros
Benefits, helping veterans
Cons
Too many to name
Great way to serve our nation's veterans
Registered Nurse (OR) (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 29, 2017
Working at the VA is a great way to serve our nation's veterans and is very rewarding . It has great benefits. A typical day at work entails providing quality patient care to our nation's veterans. The hardest part of the job is when there is a shortage of supplies. The most enjoyable part of the job is the feeling of satisfaction in knowing you have taken great care of the veterans.
Pros
giving back to the veterans who served to protect our freedoms
Cons
Fast pace and challenging jobs
Program assistant (Former Employee) –  Mather, CAJanuary 28, 2017
• Prepare and host focus group for women veterans. Understand their needs and find a solution for them.
• Advise women veterans regarding different benefits and free events.
• Provide information or refer individuals to public or private agencies or community services for assistance.
• Submit reports and review reports or problems with superior.
• Keep records or prepare reports for management concerning visits with clients.
• Use Microsoft Publisher and PowerPoint to create flyers and presentation.
• Use Microsoft Excel to organize and analyze collected information.
• Use Microsoft Outlook to communicate with coworkers and clients.
I learn how interact with people in a fast pace environment in preparing the food , helping the chef& clean the storage
Food service Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2017
When i worked at the VA medical center for a 11short period of time. I learn to work in a fast pace environment. dealing with food. and i saw alot. Changes in personnell Management. was
pretty fair to me and others, but when management struggle with their budgeting and expense they had to release workers. I got along with my co workers every body work well and produce effectively in this environment.
Pros
Fast pace environment that needs pose people to do the job
Cons
No real health benefits
Paid vacations and Sick time
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 6, 2017
Worked with patients on the surgical floor and SICU. Learned to work well with co workers and give good hospital care. Management was excellent. Loved to work with Veteran's and their families. Hardest part of my job was working 2-3 shift when the need was there. Most enjoyable part of my job was seeing patients go home with their families.
Pros
Breaks given when needed
Cons
a good place to acquire knowledge and retain certification
Medical Record Technician (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GADecember 31, 2016
Endlessly changes , challenging, understaffed but great benefits,
Certification required for position hired. Facility helped to provide assistance in providing approved ceu"s for re-certification. Management closely monitored workload and quality of work completed. Most coworker have remained on staff for 10+ years.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the constant changes in the medical field and government,

The most enjoyable part of the job was satisfaction of a job well done and providing services for our Veterans.
Pros
job stability
Cons
great benefits
productive, love wrking for the veterans
Certified Nursing Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 8, 2017
A typical day was enjoying serving every vet. I learned to really appreciate each Vet. I loved working at the VA because it was a teaching hospital. the hardest thing was watching how the veterans was that they are truly for gotten. the most enjoyable was listening to the Vets as they shared they're stories.
Pros
cto, and pto, and you could transfre, retirement, and union
Cons
heathcare
Clean nursing home
Nursing (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJanuary 26, 2017
The patients were cared for in a friendly and safe environment. The staff enjoyed working with the patients especially when they were given time to socialize with them on a 1-1 basis.

The hardest part was working for a boss with unreasonable expectations for staff on a very tight budget and very poor
equipment at that time.
Pros
Clean friendly atmosphere
Cons
Being made to star 2 shifts or be fired
poor supervisors
Air Conditioning Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 27, 2016
watch your p's and q's while on year probation. harassment in the workplace is common and if you question it your told you need to not take things personally. I would think being a government establishment there would be some sort of professionalism. There is daily banter in the workplace at fellow coworkers expense and the supervisors are guilty of the same. Glad to be out of that soup sandwich!
Pros
wage benefits
Cons
no leadership, hr is one sided.
Very strict workplace
Work Study Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAMarch 13, 2017
Cant even have a water bottle out. They call this place a hospital, its an ambulatory care center, huge difference. I also don't agree with the fact that service animals are not allowed in certain areas, not even sure if that would be legal according to ADA. I guess it's something to look into. There is lots of unorganization going on here as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Veterans Administration Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2