Veterans Canteen Service

Veterans Canteen Service Employer Reviews

Don't work here.
Central Office (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJune 26, 2014
Pros: major holidays off, decent pay, and time off accrues
Cons: everything else
If you are looking or interviewed with the VCS Central Office for a job just stay at your current job and keep looking. The VCS is a joke. They don't care about their veterans and especially not the employees.... Only the bottom line which is to make money. I left a good job due to lack of advancement for here and I regret it everyday.
Fun people to work with
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee), Hines, ILApril 10, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks, and low pay
Very unorganized, people very old and unable to fulfill there task. Customers were rude and nasty to kitchen staff and felt we were beneath them especially by housekeeping.
Productive and relaxed
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee), Cleveland,OhioMarch 18, 2014
This job is relaxed and productive, and co-workers work with each other I've learned computer systems like (Oracle) the hardest part of the job is getting inventory just right. The most enjoyable part of the job is the atmostphere.
Working for Veterans is a big plus.
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOFebruary 20, 2014
The people are great the nicest people in the world. They try to assist Veterans that need help. The people there are very dedicated and take on extra work when needed.
Opportunity to meet different people and personalities while developing job skills.
Short order Grill Cook (Former Employee), Perry Point, MDNovember 13, 2013
Pros: developing a skill, meeting people
Cons: not enough hours
A day at work for me is exciting ,pleasant to honest about it I looked forward getting up every morning coming into work cooking veterans and employees their food .I learned a lot about both my job and myself other than improving my cooking skills and my skills with dealing with public.management there I enjoyed working with them under there leadership – more... . My co-workers were great bunch of guys they made me feel very comfortable to work around always willing to lend a hand when needed . There was no part of the job that was difficult to me .I enjoyed the work itself . – less
high stress little comfort
Food Service Worker, Greeted (Former Employee), Montgomery, ALOctober 25, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short staffing, high stress
Only good thing was it was monday through friday, not worth the benifits or the amount of pay, physical, mental, and emotional stress was way out the roof. started to get physically ill every time i had to go to work
productive place to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Detroit, MISeptember 8, 2013
excellent place to work, productive place to work. a good place to work
friendly staff plus enjoyed working helping veterans get aaround hospital store etc.
vending service plus retail service (Former Employee), Brockton, MAAugust 27, 2013
Pros: free lunches included
Cons: there werent any
always enjoyed my job made for a great experiences the travel was alittle long after my past job which was only down the road the days of servicing the vending machines always seemed to go by fast always busy no idle time
Productive when fully staffed
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 20, 2013
A normal day half the co-workers do not come in. I learned that no matter what managements says remember standards. Management can be a little hard on people especially when they micro-staff the way they do. The hardest thing about the day at work, when every one calls off and they still want to open every line. Seeing a happy customers face after you – more... have giving them the product is the best part of the day. – less
Former Asst. Canteen Cheif
Asst. Canteen Chief (intern) (Former Employee), Johnson City TNFebruary 17, 2013
Pros: cheap meals. great benefits
Cons: everything else.
Do not work for VCS. I was hired as Asst. Canteen Chief intern and was treated horrid from day 1!!! They never trained me properly, and the regional manager just downed my credentials I earned in school. The employees all hate their job and don't listen to authority; they will not work with any school schedule. Instead of training me to be chief they – more... showed me one time and gave up. They often had me running cash registers and doing dishes instead of training and I got in trouble for doing that work by the regional manger. When I told him they make me he didn't belive it. I cried everyday going into this place I disliked it so bad. It takes a special person to make it in the canteen and I just didnt fit in the "click." – less
Keep Looking
Clerk (Former Employee), Central Office, St. LouisJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: favortism, poor management in central office
If you are looking for a foot in the door to the VA- then by all means this MIGHT be a ticket. MIGHT. If the VA Director likes the VCS then you might have a chance to advance within that VA.

However, once you get hired by the VCS- and I mean- AS SOON as you start your first day... keep on looking for jobs within the VA.

You will NOT want to make the – more... VCS your life long career. Plan on only staying one year at the very longest. I'm not joking.

It is no longer what it once was.The central office managment is lost and too busy looking out for themselves to care about you. I'm not kidding.

There is even a petition by employees called "Fix the Canteen" if you Google: Veterans Canteen Service Mistreated, it will take you there.

The favortism is horrible and I've never worked anywhere that I saw so many people point fingers and throw others under the bus for even the SMALLEST of things.

I had a girl get in my face and CUSS and YELL at me twice in front of others. When I complained they said, "She's one of the favorites. There's nothing you can do."

So- work there if you want. But don't say I didn't warn you. Look elsewhere if you can. – less
Good Boses, Good Co Workers
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLNovember 18, 2012
Pros: free lunch, good co-workers, great enviornment
I worked for the WPB Canteen service for nearly a year. I fully enjoyed comming to work everyday. The best part is easily the veterans you see everyday.
A good place to work.
Supply clerk and Warehouse supervisor (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 12, 2012
Pros: 1 hour lunches.
Cons: no health benefits offered.
Working here was very rewarding in that I got to work in an occupation that was different from what I've done previously.
Productive and great place to work for
Assistant Canteen Chief (Current Employee), Murfreesboro, TNApril 29, 2012
This is a great company to work for and have some amazing benefits. The downfall to this company is their mobility clause and giving you the choice to move or not have a job.

About Veterans Canteen Service

The Veterans Health Administration (VHA) provides medical, prescription, surgical, and rehabilitative services to US veterans. – Read more