Veterans Canteen Service Employee Reviews

Not enough help to smaller canteens
Canteen Chief (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 11, 2017
VCS does not focus on smaller canteens rather it is political in only focusing on bigger canteens. This lack of leadership is causing high turnover of very qualified managers.
Great way to advance your career while serving those who risked their life for your freedom.
Receiving Clerk / Retail Store associate (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 29, 2017
The most enjoyable part about my job is that every day is a little different , but yet i still have a my own work schedule. I can also another enjoyable part of the job is the workplace culture. I can not express how much I love this job compared to the rest of my jobs. From the management to the veterans and customers: they make it so easy to come into work because you know your coming into an environment were everyone is friendly and hard-working.
Desperate for work? Need to get hired fast?
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 9, 2017
Very unpleasant experience. Unbelievable how unprofessional and under appreciated the staff and workers are. I would recommend only if you are desperate for work, they're standards with hiring is very abysmal. Sorry to report this.
Pros
They did eventually work with my school schedule, which I was told never happens.
Cons
You have an opportunity to get hired into the hospital, buts its up to the canteen to hold you or let you go. Biased and unfair.
Assistant Canteen Chief (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSJune 7, 2017
Good place to work. Great environment, good salary, and good benefits. The job included a variety of different responsibilities which I enjoyed. Good people
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Top bosses expectations
busy busy a lot of micro management
Receiving Clerk/Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 16, 2017
I have a lot of people complaining about management and i understand why. There is micromanagement even when the job is done. But is like everything , you go do what you have to do and don't worry about nothing else. But is only for the Manhattan Campus Canteen. All the other canteen are well manage.
Pros
Free lunches, free metro card paid vaca.
Cons
short breaks, bad management.
Quick and stressful
Bistro Lead (Former Employee) –  Loma Linda, CAMay 13, 2017
The job is fun and you get to meet and wait on awsome vetrans who have sacraficed alot for this country. Very fast paced and compettative work place. There tends to be alot of favratism though.
Pros
free lunch, cool people
Cons
favratism
Good
current employee (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 24, 2017
In management for the Veterans Canteen Service, you are required to work 40 hours per week. However, you actually work closer to 65 hours per week. You are required to be on call 24/7 since it is located in the VA Medical Center and hours of operation are from 11pm until 8pm Monday - Friday and 8am-4pm on weekends. If you are a family person, this is not the company to work for. There are many benefits in working for the government, including paid holidays, days off and sick days.
VA Canteen
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 16, 2017
Ensured delivery of excellent customer service through accurate and fast processing of sales orders. Provided logistics support for domestic movement of tires, electronics, flowers etc. Communicated and coordinated with other departments and vendors in order to fulfill customers’ needs. First point of customer contact for general inquiries, like product availability, pricing, shipment scheduling etc.
Opportunity to learn the Oracle Accounting Program.
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 13, 2017
Long term temporary assignment with many learning opportunities. Very busy work atmosphere and enjoyed my time with the VCS. Learned their Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable systems.
Pros
Oracle Training
Cons
No vacations.
Great experience. Bad movement
Chief, Canteen Operations (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 11, 2017
It's great working for them, but there's little to no room for any major movement unless you are willing to relocate at great distance. As a manager of a smaller location, too much is relied upon by you to oversee. Their payroll budgeting plan doesn't help smaller locations to grow and develop.
Benefits
Cons
No breaks. Long hours.
Government position
Manager (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 27, 2017
I am not comfortable talking about this job
a typical day what you learned management workplace culture the hardest part of the job the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
free lunch for staff
Great Mission, Great People
Canteen Chief (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 13, 2017
If you are looking for a Retail/Restaurant job there is no better place to work. You can really have a work life balance. It is wonderful serving our veterans and definitely the most rewarding part of the job. Everyone that works in the corporate office is extremely passionate about the veterans and the employees. You have a great support system. It is really like a family.
Pros
People, Benefits, work life balance
Great opportunities
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 7, 2017
Excellent management opportunities. If you like relocating this the place to be. There are Canteens all over the US. As you grow can apply for promotions anywhere. This is federal government position with great benefits.
Pros
Benefits and servering veterans
Cons
Small stores
productive and slow pace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 3, 2017
Its a slow pace job with really good benifets I really liked talking to the veterans and talking to the nurses and doctors
Pros
benefits are great
Cons
the job
Every day is my honor to serve true American Heroes
Canteen Chief (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 27, 2017
The canteen service is a great way to help veterans and their families.
It is an awesome sense of being part of thier lives and paying them back for their service.
Pros
helping American Heroes
Cons
support
Taking care of the veterans!
CNA (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 22, 2017
• Bringing breakfast, lunch and dinner to veterans.
• Clean all the dishes.
Preparing, and stocking items at beginning of, and throughout, shift.
Its a very cool place to work if you are jus starting off. Generally stocking or retail or cooking in the cafeteria very active
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJanuary 9, 2017
Busy work place . Individual Assignments .Very positive and upbeat place. I love to past the time with task that need to be completed through out the day.
Was a fun place to work
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 3, 2017
Was a fun place to work but the management sucks. They put people in these management positions that has no clue about food. Supervisors expect employees to do their job while they sat in the office all day and get the pay.You are expected to do 4 and 5 different jobs because they're short staffed and can't keep any help. This place has a high turn over due to management. Management is very rude to employees and visitors. Not approachable!!!! You do so much you may get a break you may not because management/Supervisor will not step up to give you one.
Pros
Great benefits/serving our veterans
Cons
No breaks, poor management, over worked
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 21, 2016
Love the people and environment there. The people are very helpful and uplifting when you need them. The environment was filled with joyful and funny individuals.
The veterans are the only reason to work here
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Southeast United StatesApril 6, 2016
Why have I stayed as long as I have? THE VETERANS. That's it. Pay is absolutely abysmal. We are the lowest paid workers in the hospital by about $6. We work 10 hours on our feet every day, never getting any down time except for our scheduled breaks.

Luckily, management at my location is pretty good except for not disciplining employees when they are nasty to customers or to other employees. Nobody wants to work here, but for the most part, we show up (with the exception of a few workers who constantly call out "sick") and do our jobs. Our particular location has a problem with employee motivation and retention, and the turnover is as frequent as 2 months. In my opinion, that can be attributed to employees feeling overworked and underappreciated.

Do not take a position with VCS if you think you're going to be flipping the occasional burger every hour or selling one or two t-shirts in a day or making coffee once in a while. If you're naturally a hard worker, you will be worked HARD and your work ethic will be exploited. There is no room for advancement within the service (Chief-->Asst. Chief(s)-->low-level workers) so if you're working hard to "get ahead" in the VA system, you might as well go to school for something healthcare related before you're ever hired out of the Canteen for your work ethic.

Benefits are pretty good and competitive compared to public sector jobs. I know I wouldn't be getting paid vacations/holidays/retirement/a strict schedule if I worked at Target.

Job culture is the best part. I get to work face-to-face with veterans every single day. They
  more... make everything worth it.  less
Pros
Veterans make me want to go the extra mile to provide excellent service regardless of my needs
Cons
Extremely low pay, no room for advancement, hard work for little to no recognition

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Veterans Canteen Service. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval