VF Corporation Employee Reviews

Fun & Productive Work Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSMay 21, 2015
A typical day at Vanity Fair depended on what hours one worked. If we worked the morning shift, we were required to dust off all the racks and counters and such, open the dressing rooms, do inventory, count money and open registers, and straighten up the overall store - staying busy all the way up until opening time. When we unlocked the doors, we were required to always have a smile on our faces, be welcoming and courteous to customers, and to assist the customers with any and all needs and concerns they would have. We had to keep ourselves busy straightening the racks or returning unwanted items to their places or asking the customers if they needed assistance or restocking - we were never allowed to just stand around and do nothing. This is the same for every shift, however the evening shift was required to vacuum and clean the store, as well as do the inventory on certain items as a sort of loss prevention method.
While the rules stated above weren't terribly strict or unreasonable, they did make absolutely certain that all employees were being as productive as possible the entire time they were at work, as well as ensured that all company goals and customer needs were being met in a courteous and timely fashion. I know I learned just exactly how much there is to do in a store - even one that isn't very large - to keep yourself occupied and productive and to stave off the boredom.
The management team at vf was absolutely amazing. I loved them all so much. They were always smiling and upbeat, they didn't harp too hard on anyone, and they kept the workplace an
  more... enjoyable environment to be in.
My co-workers and I all did our best to emulate the attitudes of our managers, as a way to ensure that work would be an "escape" of sorts from daily life and we would be able to have that one place we could go to enjoy ourselves and still maintain our responsibilities.
The hardest part of working at vf (at first) was simply finding things to do to keep myself occupied during the not-so-busy parts of the day. However, it didn't take me long to pick up on all the little things I could do around the store to be productive and keep myself from being bored.
The most enjoyable part of my job at vf was the crew of team members I worked with everyday. They were a great group of people and they made work one of the best parts of my day.
Pros
Decent breaks, Co-workers, Managers, Fun, Luncheons
Miserable place to work
Associate- Retail (Former Employee) –  Branson, MOFebruary 19, 2013
I was very excited and positive about joining the team at VF in Branson,Mo. Unfortunately my excitement quickly faded when almost everything I was told when hired was completely untrue. Started with what they call orientation which consisted of going through a huge stack of paperwork and signing each paper as fast as possible with absolutely no explanations. The training process lasted about five minutes and then was expected to run cash register, register customers for VIP, dressing rooms, restock, etc... I absolutely love working with people but felt frustrated and embarrassed when a customer came to me with questions I could not answer due to the lack of training and could never find another assosiate or manager that weren't to busy to assist the customer or at least point me in the right direction. The veteran employees were very rude and unfriendly to new associates. This behavior upset me and made me feel uncomfortable and bad for my fellow new associates. The managers loved to spend time eating, gossiping, and complaining rather than being out on the floor making sure the customers walked out satisfied. They loved to use their position / title to make others feel inferior. My hours were never consistant with what I was told when hired, breaks weren't given at accurate times, for example if you worked a 6 or 8 hour shift the new people wouldn't receive a break until an hour before our shift was over. The current associates were constantly complaining about how unhappy they were. That kind of an attitude is like a virus in the workplace so as a result several people quit  more... during the short time I was employed there. I wish the best for the success of VF Branson but in my opinion there will need to be big changes in management and better customer service. Would not reccomend this job to anyone until some of these changes have been made.  less
Pros
store discount
Cons
veteran employees very unfriendly, insufficient training, hours are inconsistent, management power trip treat new employees inferior in order to make themselves feel important etc...
critically understaffed, good benefits, good work enviornment,
Customs Compliance Manager (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CaliforniaApril 11, 2014
The corporation as a whole pays well and handles the business effectively. The corporation values the advancement of its employees and is more than willing to work with them in getting the proper education and/or training.

The individual departments are as strong as their leaders. Often departments and personnel are put under the leadership of individuals that are clueless to the job and the requirements. Having worked in a department that must always function not just by corporate policies but by external government laws I saw how easily the leadership could move away from regulation and the word of the Director was always taken to be Gospel without regard to risks involved to the Corporation.

Co-workers followed the direction of the Director and never questioned him even when they knew that the laws or corporate policies said otherwise. The Director lacked conviction and the ability to communicate his goals for the department. Generalization is not a good means of leadership, Very poor leadership.

The most enjoyable part of the job was always the work itself and the complexity of researching projects - there was a lot to be said for the accomplishment in resolving complex problems and providing assistance to other departments in meeting regulatory compliance. Each day was a learning and growing experience.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the leadership of my department. Handling the workload that increased three fold without hiring additional people and working with a Director that knew less yet never provided the accolades.
Pros
own campus with gym and cafeteria, great benefits and good pay
Cons
insufficient staffing, lack of support from hr, poor management
Good place to work in some areas.
WAREHOUSE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAMay 28, 2015
A typical day at VF is where you do pretty much the same thing day by day. Its rare when you do something new there when your set in your department. I learned that at VF its a good job until hours come in. Sometimes of the month we get a lot of work in and work 10 hr days and sometimes in the month we can get called off for 2 whole weeks/weekends. It depends what your labeled as in VF to get more hours. Like for me im a packer where i pack items in there cases and send them off on a conveyer belt to where they get sent to different departments so they can check them to see if there correct.
The management in some departments are good and some are poor.
Some department managers are for the friends/favoritism and some look at the work of the employee. I can definitely tell you my manager is for his friends and the favoritism and don't give people chances, he just rather have his friends. My co-workers in the beginning were all nice at first until i got my years in at VF i can tell they all changed. For minding your own business and trying your best in VF people will always find something to say about you, like in my case. The hardest part of the job is just knowing i have to still work there knowing how my supervisor is and the co-workers. I just wish i can work in a place where everyone gets treated equal and with respect the way i treat others. Honestly the most enjoyable part of the job is when im off. Just wish i can find better soon.
Worst job of my life!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Corsicana, TXMarch 4, 2014
A typical day at vf is going in and dreading the whole time your there. You will like it for the first month or so, but after that its a drag. The management is very poor & the head manager is the worst! She is not only rude & inconsiderate to the employees but as well as the customers! Once I remember a younger couple coming to me complaining how an employee had rudely not price checked an item but told them it was the same as the others and then acted too good to help them any further. It wasn't a normal employee it was the manager! When first starting working there they didn't explain things as effective as they should. which caused ciaos all the time. The scheduling is very unorganized some days you will work mornings, next an evening, and next you'll work in the middle of the day. Not to mention the job is part time & some weeks you'll be scheduled for 25 hours and the next it'll be 10! The best part of it all was my coworkers and the discount (20%) which isn't a lot either. Not to mention if your looking for a decent paying job VF is NOT the way to go! Minimum wage is ridiculous for all the stuff you have to put up with there. Biggest waist of my time!
Pros
discount
Cons
managment issues
No room for growth, low pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Camarillo, CaMay 8, 2013
I have been working at this store for 4 years. I learned a lot about proper customer service and understanding the wants and needs of customers. Great first job for high school students and very flexible schedule for college students.

Coworkers are great, we work as a team and get along very well. That's the only reason why I've stayed for so long. Customers vary, some are great, most are rude and messy. But I still love engaging conversation with the customers, especially if they're visiting from a different country, which we get a lot.

Unfortunately, even though I have been with the company for so long and I pretty much act as a supervisor when under-staffed, they refuse to promote within. Even with recommendations from the store supervisors and managers, for some odd reason they do not like to promote within. It's unfortunate that the people within this store have been so loyal and dedicated to the brand and company, Vans, are not recognised nor compensated. The pay is very low and very little raise to no raise is given supposedly twice a year.

The brand is great but this particular store/district management, not so great.
Pros
flexible schedule, perfect if you're going to school or if you have a second job.
Cons
absolutely no room for growth, company prefers to hire externally rather than internally for some reason. very low pay.
Low ball pay!!!!!
?????????? (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAJune 16, 2013
Pay sucks. Management doesn't appreciate anybody that works on the production floor. They put on a pretty good act though, they try so hard to act out there caring about our associates bit....lol. There's an open door policy yet whenever you ask a question you get an excuse or the run around. There's no room for growth. You come in as a temp and if you do end up getting hired you still get treated like one. Jobs are handed out to brown nosers, or they out source and bring people in who end up having to be trained by some one already working there. As far as supervisors, most of them can just on the band wagon that management came on......some of the good ones that actually cared about their workers eventually look for work else where. And the leads are a bunch of worthless human beings who act like their bigshots running the place.(Your just warehouse workers....lol) Many miserable work days. Had I known, I'd never would of left my previous employer to work there.
Pros
i get a check(that barely gets me by)
Cons
everything
Fun and friendly environment to work in on a daily basis
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZOctober 25, 2014
A typical work day consists of cleaning and working on projects assigned by management, helping others whether it’s a manager, associate, or customer. This includes the registers, sales floor, and managing the fitting room area. Train new employees and multi-task with all of the above.

What I learned is that everyone there is very helpful, knowledgeable, and are willing to further educate employees so there are advancement opportunities.

Management is great. The managers at VF Outlet are outstanding, helpful, and just great for anyone that wants to know anything about the corporation or the store in general. They are open to listen to suggestions and will advise its associates so that they make reasonable decisions.

The hardest part of the job is learning the exchanges and returns on the register because it takes some time to learn it, but eventually it becomes easy.

The most enjoyable part of this job is walking out at the end of your shift knowing that you helped someone with something and everything else about the job.
Atrocious
Associate Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, NYJanuary 28, 2016
I personally worked for Kipling, and the vf corporation is disgusting. The management team when dealing with issues off the sales floor is horrible. The equipment like ladders, brooms, cleaning supplies that they provided was dangerous. The ladders were on the verge of breaking, and after making countless complaints, nothing was fixed. I worked so hard to earn a promotion I really wanted, and it was given to someone to who did nothing within store. Needless to say, I left Kipling to go to another job & the person they hired instead of me was fired for doing a poor job. This corporation does not recognize hard work, and does not care about their employees. If ana associate worked for 8 and a half hours, you only received a half hour break. That is illegal. DO NOT WORK HERE. They will work you to the bone. One of the girls I worked with, was working 40 hours a week, and when she applied to be "Full time", which was numerous times, the company faulted her of hours so they wouldn't have to give her benefits. That is ILLEGAL. DO NOT WORK HERE.
Pros
Cons
EVERYTHING
Okay job, but very poor management
CREDIT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIApril 21, 2014
It'a an okay place to work if you're just starting out. If you can get in the right department with a good boss you'll learn a lot. Sadly, the good bosses are few and far between in recent years. Recommend avoiding half of Accounting, almost all of Customer Service, and definitely avoid Credit.

Pay is lower than industry standard, benefits aren't the best, but you get a casual work environment and nice coworkers. Advancement doesn't much exist, or rather it isn't based on performance. A lot of childish games and favoritism among certain managers and supervisors. I often felt it was positively surreal how often the poorest performing employees were promoted while the smartest and most qualified employees were pushed out the door. I saw a lot of great people passed over; eventually they'd get frustrated and move on to another company offering bigger and better.
Pros
casual dress
Cons
poor management, pay, benefits, promotion opportunities
merchandising, floor planning while sale forecasting
Assistant store Manager-Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Graceville, FloridaJuly 16, 2013
• Trained, supervised and developed a staff of 17 employees consisting of merchandise assistants and interns, ensured optimal performance and compliance with company goals and objectives
• Developed and executed strategies for merchandise assortments, vendor relations management, and marketing cadences management
• Utilized strong leadership skills and communication expertise to maximize sales and profitability;
negotiated costs, vendor margin support, and wholesale pricing resulting in increased sales of 5 percent over previous year and improved gross margin rate of 1.5 percent
• Analyzed merchandise performance within departments to monitor statistical objectives, adapt inventory as needed, and increase sales volume. Merchandise analysis resulted in the timely and cost-efficient savings of $2,429.6m vs. LY Q3
• Evaluated profitability for in-season sales, financial and inventory performance and suggested adjustments as needed; adjustments to merchandise increased quarterly profits by $66.5m vs. plan
Pros
team work, great benefit, good training
Cons
no balance between private and work life
Productive, fun environment
Associate-Retail Service (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZAugust 17, 2015
A typical day at work was organize stock room and work on delivered shipments. Clean show floor, organize and fix racks, load product on shelves, walls, etc.. I learned to understand retail customers more. Likes, dislikes. Attitudes, proper service, service with a smile. Management was very flexible and understanding. As well as supportive in every aspect. Always had an open door policy. My co-workers were friendly and made the day go by as fast and easy as possible. Always encouraging to help one way or another. The hardest part of the job was sorting the stock room at times. A lot of times I was by myself, but it was fun and time consuming. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing and interacting with the customers. Helping them find and understand what they are looking for with their purchase.
Pros
Always busy, customer interaction, proper break amounts
productive and open enviorment
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAApril 27, 2015
A typical day at work consists of me providing customer service, completing my daily tasks as given .As well as helping employees with tasks that also need to be completed. I learned how to determine what customers need and want.
I learn what responsibilities the managers, as well as the retail sales associates have to take on. If future assistance may be needed.
My managers are great and understanding, they are great! Especially when it comes to the company's "open door policy."
Hardest part of my job is dealing with rude and antsy customers, it's hard to tell others "no" at times, also its sometimes hard to get other employees to come together and reconcile their differences.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the atmosphere, it's a laid back environment. There's such a great sense of family and community.
Pros
Open to working around school schedules.
Cons
Not enough hours, senority.
Can you say "Poor Management from top to bottom"
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  QueenstownNovember 30, 2012
The best thing I got out of this job was dealing with the customers; which I love to do! Management had poor management skills down to their paperwork; which was often displayed for everyone's eyes - very little privacy. Co-workers were okay. This VF pushed selling their products, but gave you nothing in return (similiar to blood sucking leeches). The only thing to learn was how not to be as disorganized and unprofessional as this management team. Managers often talked one against another. Morale was horrible. All procedures were spoken; never written. If management is a hot mess; below normally follows. Best thing about this VF, It was nice to see the store come back - they do have great merchandise and prices.
Pros
pros - merchandise
Cons
low salary, not suitable for experienced workers.
Best employer and got to wear Jeans every day to work,
Sourcing Contract Rep, Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 30, 2014
VF Jeanswear - Greensboro, NC Aug 1999 – Aug 2000
Sourcing Contract Rep - I was the representative working with international contractors to meet production deadlines on Jeanswear production per contracts. Daily verification of product cut/finish line sheets and shipments to the production schedule and update excel spreadsheets. Weekly department production meeting updating management on style line completion, & expected ETA to distributing centers.
Administrative Secretary - - Greensboro, NC Aug 2000 – Dec 2005
I was administrative support to Director and management team for Patterns, Marker Services, and Prototype Sewing/Pilot Plant. Match, batch and code departmental invoices. Verified employee time sheet for managers approvals, sent to payroll processing. Assigned and trained as a P-Card holder for purchasing non-capital equipment, parts and all supplies for directors departments.
A fun, productive and yet balanced work place.
Store Clerk, Switchboard Clerk, Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 7, 2012
My work day began with our daily meeting and daily task.

I learned how to develope excellent customer care skills, how to order properly in bulk, how to proper display merchandise, about quality control, various ways to ship and how to conduct a one on one with the different vendors and Reps of various retail merchants.

Management was very observant, fair and fun to work with as well as the co-workers. They were always willing to help in areas that it was needed.

There was nothing haerd aboutht this job at all. The hours, incentives and benefits were great, the company was fair and the work was distributed fairly amongst us all.

Overall, I was a pleasure to work in the position, with the people I faced daily and work for this company. I will always look at iy as a good opportunity for me.
Pros
incentives, yearly bonuses and vacation.
Top of the line machines, and they have air conditioning
Sewing machine operator (Former Employee) –  Was in Bangor, Pa. They have moved to Easton, PaApril 5, 2014
You have bundles of work that must go out. You sew whatever job you have. In a day you usually do hundreds of pants or shirts. I learned that if it wasn't for our accuracy, the teams wouldn't have uniforms. When you see the major league baseball teams on T.V. you have a sense of pride. Our supervisors and floor persons were the most helpful. Always a kind word and told you when you did a job well. We were like a family, shared in tales of our own families and they listened and gave some advice. A shoulder if you needed it. Hardest part of the job is a rush order that needs to go out same day on the truck. Most enjoyable, our two vacations. They were two weeks in summer and two weeks at Christmas.
Pros
starting early and ending early afternoon
Cons
the rush orders
Visalia Is a joke
Highbay driver (Former Employee) –  VisaliaAugust 14, 2014
Was fired for answering phone when on the floor due to check being messed up. Only they were looking to dump me because I was a good worker but did not like that they passed me up for another position that I was the best suited for. Should have known when the manager told me he wanted to keep me as the back up and train the new guy that i stood no chance. Yea thats right when i said i did not want to be the backup anymore they were looking for a reason to fire. Lame very lame. Should look at the individuals that are in the restrooms for hours a day, or the ones on their phones playing games in the S racks.
Pros
are there any here
Cons
no loyalty to hard workers
Challenging but rewarding experience
Sourcing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  PanamáMay 17, 2014
I have grown both personally and professionally thanks to my time at VF. Every day was a challenge and learning experience. I was able to get a behind the scenes look into the complex world of manufacturing apparel. After years working in design/development/buying it has been a complementary experience to work in this side of the business. Improving my strategic planning experience and understanding cost negotiation as well as the ebb and flow of the development process.

VF is a place that not only challenged me daily but provided cohesive and productive feedback throughout my time at the company.
Pros
vf day, little activities, field trips
Cons
unflexible schedule (time in/time out), no breaks in the schedule, hr not communicating internal postings to candedates at the office
Productive and fun work environment
RETAIL SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, CTApril 14, 2013
A typical work day for me is ensuring all customers are taken care of from the time they step in the store, until the time they checkout. I have learned that regardless of how my day may have gone before I report to work, the customers are my number one priority. Everyday that I am scheduled to work I can expect management to make sure that if I have any work related questions, they have the correct answer for me everytime. I enjoy working with all my co-workers, due to the fact they are all team players, and are there to make sure that the daily mission is completed. The hardest part of my job is, that it isn't hard, its what you provide the job. My most enjoyable part of my job is making sure that the customers are taken care,
Pros
management availability, co-workers, flexible schedule
Cons
no cons