Via Christi Health Employee Reviews

Hospital
Secretary/Specimen processing/specimen collection (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 7, 2015
Atmosphere is that of hospital.
Healing presence
Social atmosphere sometimes good, sometimes not so good.
Some great nurses, some great support personnel. At times it seems there are a lot of changes and then other times there is not a lot of turnover. It is good to have familiarity.
Financial benefits are good. Time off is available when and if there
is coverage. Sometimes that is a difficult thing to work out, need more PRN to cover those times or more regular help to regularly schedule personal time off whether ilness or vacation.
most difficult part of the job is repetitive and not pleasant in order to get positive results.
When all is working smoothly no major catastrophies and not swamped and feeling overworked, breaks go as planned all in a great day at work.
Holiday parties, food and snacks are fun. Lab week or Nursing Week with puzzles, contests and treats. Sometimes too busy to get in on a lot of the fun but it creates an atmosphere. The sisters always deck the halls with some very nice wreaths at christmas time. We have trees on a unit of two decorated for each holiday. A nice touch I think.
Live plants at some nursing stations and maybe a fish bowl. :)
Keeps it from being so cold and impersonal. The violets were lovely!
And Orchids! Sometimes that is a pet project of a nurse or two. Hard to spend so many hours in a place without adding a touch here and there.
A good place to work.
Even the lab used to have live plants. Old unused centrifuge to keep one or two in. Help you get that warm fuzzy feeling while away from your comfort
  more... zone.  less
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Sometimes management needs to step back and take a look before leaping
fun place to work, loved making people feel good about themselves working in health care or in a call cener.
nurse (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 21, 2015
In the nursing industry I learned how to be more patient, atypical day at work varied some days we were short handed but we always maintained professinal not allowing our feelings of disappointment get in the way of provding excellent customer care as well as taking good care of all resients.

My co-workers were the best team that ive worked with. We always worked as a team and maintained communication developing a strong back bone not only for the residents but for the facility as well.

There was nothing too hard for provding good customer service weather I was emploied as a nurse or in a office, and call center environment.

Im a person that loves getting along with people. The most enjoyable part of my job was listening to the customers issues, needs, and concerns. I was always available on time to take calls makingt sure thatI maintained a dependable work history making sure that our customers can rely on our proffessionalism and my strong attendance making that I can make a poissitive influence as a great team player.
Pros
free classes to earn more pay.
Cons
usually had to cut my breaks short to attend to a emergency issue with my residents
Learn something different everyday.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 24, 2014
A typical day at work would be walking around and keeping yourself visible at all times. I learned alot about drug abuse and what it can do to you. I also learned how to discipline myself when dealing with out of the line people. Management was ok until someone new came in and made things complicated for alot of people. I got along well with my co workers. It was a challenge at fist since I had no Military/Officer experience but I got the hang and earned everyone's respect at the end. The hardest part was seeing people pass away on the hospital bed. Most enjoyable was the things I learned while working there.
Pros
good learning experience.
Cons
night shift got hard after a while.
great IT team with much knowledge to share.
Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 13, 2014
Worked with a great team implementing many changes in the IT department. We took 15 different EHR's and rolled the data, workflow and billing into one system in 8 months! We are the largest hospital system in Kansas and the largest of the Ascension Health company. We just went live with Cerner at all of the Hospitals including a 1000 bed, 300 bed and 130 bed. 25 clinics and added many new processes like BMDI, One Chart to help meet meaningful use and the best patient experience. I was able to assist other teams as needed and it was appreciated.
Pros
work from home if needed, good staff to work with
Cons
healthcare is changing so there is a lot of stress to meet deadlines
I learned a lot working at Via Christi Health
LPN, Charge nurse, VC Villages (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 21, 2015
I started working for Via Christi Health as a CNA in the resource pool. I was able to work in all of the departments including the ICU's where I learned a lot. I also worked in all of the Wichita hospitals, rehabilitation centers and clinics. I learned a lot working along side the nurses. After I graduated as an LPN in 2013 I transferred to Via Christi Villages to work as a charge nurse in long term care and skilled nursing. I enjoyed my job as an LPN there and learned a lot as a charge nurse. I became really close with the residents there and enjoyed caring for them. I am now in school to finish my RN so I had to give up my full time job there.
Pros
Learning experience as an LPN, free lunches with the pharmacy's.
Cons
Long hours, short staffed.
A very busy and productive working area in the laboratory.
Histology Technician Specialist HT (ASCP) (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KsFebruary 4, 2015
I currently work nights, I manage the opening of the pathology lab for others to come in and start their day.The hardest part is working nights and sleeping days. I enjoy everything about what I do in Histology and the people I work with are a lot of fun, we definitely work as a team.Labortatory work is very educational; there is always something to do and lots to learn. We practice safety, policies, accredidation requirements and working together achieving daily goals and providing quality work for doctors and the patients we serve.
Working directly with patient is a rewarding job. Most of my coworkers were very caring individuals. Health care is a very necessary and important fi
nurse assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KSSeptember 1, 2015
I liked working at Via Christi. Assisting patients to improve is a rewarding job. Coworkers are very supportive. Via Christi had a really nice PTO program which made it nice for vacations or needed time off. I think the salary was comparable for this area.Also they have a good insurance plan.
Pros
dependable working hours, good insurance, PTO plan
Cons
did not always get breaks
Financial Counselor
Follow up Financial Counselor Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 25, 2014
Making outbound calls trying to pursue potential candiates to consider state medical coverage. I learned that there is a population that chooses not to have medical coverage. The management was never consistent; the department I served had multiple managers to run the unit I had resided in. The hardest part of the job is to get the community to understand that there was state medical coverage available for thier family. I enjoyed the one on one contact with the clients of which i was able to assist.
Pros
i enjoyed working with the people in my unity
Cons
management never consistent
Customer Service experience and multitasking
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 24, 2013
It was a very interesting experience for me and you learn a lot. Always had to be up to speed with patients and be able to provide the service they required and answered their questions. Management was very reliable and always kept us up to date. Co-workers were really useful and very friendly. The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet the patients needs and had to transfer call. The most enjoyable part was making the patient happy and knowing you did a wonderful job.
Pros
very enjoyable environment
Cons
short lunches
Someone has to do it...
Environmental Services Associate (Former Employee) –  pittsburg, ksDecember 14, 2014
I worked in housekeeping at Via Christi. The job itself wasn't usually too terrible. Of course, there were definitely days when it was absolutely disgusting! The pay was okay. The paid time off was probably the best part. The worst part was really the overall attitude. Nobody seemed like they wanted to be there. And a lot of the nurses were so rude and snobby.
Pros
paid time off, weekend pay, shift differential
Cons
job culture, underappreciated
Receptive management and enjoyable environment
Work Comp, Disability & MVA Representative (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 10, 2012
My knowledge in specific areas has grown, such as Disability patients and worker's compensation patients. Management is very receptive to getting involved when need be but not micro-managing. I believe the biggest down side of Via Christi is we are being compensated below average compared to outside companies and parallel jobs.
Pros
good environment overall
Cons
benefits are below average compared to outside companies
Okay place to work
RN BSN (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 11, 2013
12 hour shifts for nurses. Normally, 1 active labor pt per RN. On postpartum, 3-5 couplets per RN. Most of the work is primary care, there are a few techs that help some with vitals and baby weights. I loved my job itself, hated the massive amounts of paperwork. Immediate management was good.
Pros
good benefits package
Nice environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 11, 2013
A typical day at work is showing up at 5 a.m. preparing the doctors lounge for the day and preparing any caterings that need to be done. I have learned to work well with others and to work hard. The managment is great! Also my co-workers are all great and helpful.
Pros
getting off at 1:30 p.m.
Cons
getting up at 4 a.m.
done
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 15, 2013
Spent many years at this institution. I had some wonderful experiences and found many friends. It was a sad day when we knew Ecare was not going to be continued and our postions were deleted.
Pros
reasonable pay
Cons
too many changes over a short period of time in upper management.
Great people to work with. Poor management.
PC Technician (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMay 29, 2015
The people in the lower positions are great to work with. But it seems like the management team in Wichita doesn't quite know how to manage their remote sites. They seem to leave them out of a lot of advancement and then are curious as to why the remote sights are doing things differently.
A great opportunity to change lives at the end of life!!
CNA/CMA (Former Employee) –  Victoria, KSFebruary 13, 2013
I loved, and thoroughly enjoyed the care I was able to give!! However, it made me realize the capacity of my own giving! For that I am grateful, and regretful!
Pros
amazing life experience
Cons
the realization that i am only human!
Small cubical spaces, noisey
Revenue Cycle Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 11, 2013
I typically sit at a small desk working on my documents. The noise from the other 100 people on phones is distracting and makes it hard to concentrate.
Pros
payroll deducted lunch
Cons
work environment
Supervisor/Imaging Technician (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 16, 2015
HR/recruiting is only concerned with how you look on paper, not how well you perform. This causes a fairly high turn around rate if they don't scrutinize potential applicants at the department level.
Poor management skills.
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 9, 2014
Management is too busy micro managing their employees to do what's best for their customers.
Pros
decent benefits and good co-workers
Cons
too many changes too fast, management is too busy micromanaging to care about patients.
Good introduction to Nursing
Registered Nurse - ICU (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSApril 16, 2015
The hardest part of my job is balancing work life and home life. The unit I work in has been incredible with a great group of people!