Viacom Employee Reviews in United States

Same day to day work
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2016
Check emails, check the queue, data entry, amend records, setup orders for pickups.I have learned how to write emails and improve customer service management is a little flaky a lot of nepotism and bad ethics as far as moving up within the department/company. My co-workers are friendly and nice and fun to talk and work with. There is really nothing difficult or challenging about this job anyone can do this job. The enjoyable part about this job is when my shift ends.
Pros
Good Health Benefits
Cons
Not compensated for good work, no moving up within company, everything is a lateral move with no increase in merit.
Fun and innovative
Special Projects Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2016
I truly enjoyed working at Viacom... Great culture that allows their employees to be innovative and successful. Viacom offers great work and personal environment.
Pros
flexible work schedules
Cons
not enough diversity in executive positions
Old school media company still trying to figure out the internet.
Sr. Systems Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 8, 2015
Difficult to navigate internal politics if direct upper management not at same location. Frequent recent layoffs lead to no sense of job security.
Pros
Great company events
Cons
If they can turn it around, it could be great
Freelancer MTV Networks (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 29, 2015
Organization is filled with lots of great talented people, but overall most brands could stand to overhaul and improve their senior management. See the recent article about the culture shift at Google....
Pros
good at trying to support work/life balance
Cons
management needs work
Great atmosphere
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2016
My time at Viacom was great. I would recommend it if you're looking to beef up your resume. The staff was great as well as the culture of the company.
Pros
Great events, Incentives
Cons
Job security
Great Place to Start
Sales Planner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2016
Viacom is a dynamic company with so many brands that appeal to different generations of people. Get work life balance, relaxed work culture and open door policy. The people here are great! However, they do not pay their entry level employees well at all. Competitors are openly paying employees of the same role at least $10-15k more and sometimes even more. It can be disheartening that a company this large and successful focuses so much on compensating the big whigs, but then forget about the work horses that are keeping the company a float.
Pros
Great People, Great Networks/Brands, Tons of PTO
Cons
Low Entry Level Salaries, Upper Management sometimes out of touch
Viacom - BET Networks
Music Specials (Production) - Associate Producer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2015
the most enjoyable part of this job is being creative. i love the dynamic of my core team. however, we're poorly managed and poorly compensated for what we do. no space to grow.
Pros
job culture
Cons
management, compensation, job security
Interesting work environment
Senior Broadcast Technician (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYFebruary 4, 2016
The industry is going through a major restructure and this company is ahead.

The hardest part of the job is getting the time to attain the technical knowledge to stay on top.
Pros
Management is considerate
Cons
Management needs more management education
A Great Experience
Executive Assistant to EVP (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 5, 2016
I had a solid word environment at Viacom. I enjoy my fellow coworkers and the benefits supplied. I recommend for those interest in this company to apply.
Fun place to work but senior management is lacking
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesMay 29, 2016
The culture of the company is great but the senior C-level management is extremely oblivious to the issues the employees have. Also, if you prove yourself and get promoted internally, you get screwed over with compensation. They pay more if you leave the company and come back instead of rewarding you for being a loyal employee.
Very productive and friendly workplace environment within my team.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 2, 2016
Working at Viacom was an amazing experience and I am so grateful to have been given this opportunity. A typical day at Viacom was productive, yet relaxing and I always managed to get my work done without leaving the office feeling stressed. I learned a lot during my time at Viacom from simply asking the right questions about a project or assignment to how to take well-written notes on a quarterly report. Overall, I enjoyed my time at Viacom and I would most definitely consider working there again come gradation.
Fun to Confusing
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2016
Working at Viacom used to be super fun but there has been so much restructuring over the last 2 years and there is a huge lack of communication and proper management.
Pros
Stumptown coffee in Refresh Cafe
Cons
No benefits for permalance. Poor upper management.
Great dedication to creative work. Great environment.
Intern (Former Employee) –  MTV2June 27, 2016
Great dedication to creative work. Great environment. Loved my time working with MTV2 Team! I learned so much as an intern here and would do it again in a heartbeat! I hope I get to freelance here sometime soon.
A productive and fun work place
Legal Coordinator, Business & Legal Affairs (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2016
Great environment! People are friendly!. You get a lot of training. The overall vibe of the company is fun, spiriting and exciting. I can see why people tend to stay here for a long time. It's encouraging.
Viacom Life
Digital Producer, MTV & VH1 (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 3, 2015
Currently I work at Viacom as a Digital Producer for MTV & VH1 Digital (Branded Content Solutions). It's a fun work environment but highly competitive. You also get FREE bagels ever Wednesday!

My co-workers are great and are always willing to support you.
Fun place to work
Coordinator Marketing and Distribution (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 19, 2015
The building itself is a great atmosphere. Located in Times Square. Most of the company is young including middle management. Hard to become staff if you come in project based.
Cons
Benefits are ridiculously expensive if you are project based
It's an amazing place to learn and build.
Data Center Engineer (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJMarch 9, 2016
For an entry level job it's pretty amazing. A lot of room to grow and focus and what you wan't out of IT. It is what you make of it. There's no growth if you don't plan for yourself as well.
Great place to start your career in media.
Media Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 23, 2016
Great place to start your career in media. Must be willing to work very long hours and be flexible with constantly changing priorities.
productive and creative place
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2016
Very creative environment, professional, hard-working people, you get a chance to work with celebrities, you can learn a lot of new skills
Pros
healthcare
What I Learned
Sales Service Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 24, 2015
Viacom is a great place to learn about the industry. With a lot of extremely talented and senior people, you can really grow professionally, Of course, with any large company you face challenges. There are a lot of people working on any given piece of business, which can become challenging. In addition, once you reach a certain place in your career it is hard to move up. Being very top heavy can provide challenges and hurdles.

4.2