ViaSat Employee Reviews

Generally a great place to work at depending on the group you are with.
Hardware Engineer (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAApril 13, 2012
I was part of the Hardware Engineering Team, they have flexible hours but I usually got to work early. My typical day began with getting to work around 7 to 7:30Am. Did all my e-mails and prepared for the day. Most meetings started at 10 AM and by that time had gotten all the production/manufacturing information/issues that were required to bed discussed in the meetings. After the meeting I either addressed any priorities from the meeting or went back to the production issues.

There is a great opportunity to learn at this company, however the information is so great that without proper direction one can get lost in the abyss. I learned skills from: software, to hardware design, hardware testing, configuration management, to liaison engineer, production assembly process, production assembly issues, and much more.

The management at this company is not so great, they are not aware of what is actually happening on the floor. They are not too concerned with individual but just how much profit, also they are not as helpful to the engineering staff from my point of view, I've heard similar stories from other colleagues.

Your co-workers at this company are the best resources! I believe that without them the company would be nowhere. The co-workers, almost all of them, were very helpful to me, always there for guidance, and are able to help an individual understand issues, most of my learning was done from my co-workers, they are the greatest assets of the company.

The hardest part of the job was no direction, I had 3 managers, each telling me something different to implement, so
  more... I would say the lack of direction was the issue.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with one of my manager out of the 3, not my lead, but he was able to give the best guidance about life and how to be a successful engineer all around.
Pros
great enviornment, ability to grow if you know the right people, excellent co-workers, great oppurtunity to learn, lots of great resourses.
Cons
bad management, lead's don't help/guide new engineers.
Mismanagement reigns supreme
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 20, 2014
Was interviewed extensively for over 5 months and was offered a position with clearly defined job duties including a signing bonus. Worked there exactly two months with no performance review. First day on job, my job title and responsibilities were changed. Responsibilities were changed on a daily basis making it impossible to keep up. No accountability for poor decisions made by middle and upper management, but lots of finger pointing by management towards lower level employees. Incredible amount of micro-management. Communication highly discouraged with management over direct supervisor. Standards and Practices were clearly defined, but enforcement was lax (depending on one's position with company and "popularity"). Admonished for many of my decisions that ended up being the correct actions (no recognition received). I was eventually "let go" as "not a good fit" because of the failure of an upper management employee to renew a contract with a vendor. I was unable to order replacement supplies for over two weeks and communicated this to my supervisor and director. I eventually communicated directly with the upper management employee responsible for renewing the contract and asked him to expedite the renewal process. I found that the contract had been submitted for renewal to him over a month before my hire date and he "misplaced it".
I have never been treated this badly in my long career and believe that it had been decided to eliminate my position by any means from the first day on the job for whatever reason. My treatment was obviously contrived to force me out by whatever
  more... means necessary.  less
Pros
beautiful campus and wonderful weather
Cons
unethical management
work is sporadic. pay is ok but could be better. job itself is enjoyable and challenging at times.
Independent Sub Contractor (Current Employee) –  Arizona- Entire State- based out of Maricopa, AZFebruary 7, 2014
Viasat itself is a nice company to work for who engineers, manufactures, and provides high speed internet satellite systems across the country. It seems to be very professional and structured at Viasat however they contract out all the field work in Arizona which seems much more unprofessional fulfilling contractors work. My core belief is companies succeed with satisfied and happy customers but in the contract field of my line of work I have found fulfillment contracting focuses more on production and fulfilling the contractual agreements to get the jobs done rather than meeting customer needs and satisfying them. I have worked on both sides now and feel I fit better internally with an established in house company where my beliefs mirror theirs. I believe there is a way to provide both and still be effective and efficient and have a proven track record of it. I enjoyed the product I installed, serviced, and maintained however the contract company I sub contracted for was very unstable, and has poor shady business practices that has affected my company financially in the past already 3 times and could possibly happen soon again.
Pros
no main office. worked from home and customer locations. pay decent when there is work.
Cons
no healthcare, 401k benefits, backcharged for viasat equipment problems, inconsistant work, paychecks always shorted but not fixed, no lunches, no breaks
Beware - don't believe what they tell you - Operations department
Manufacturing Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMarch 15, 2014
On the surface, this company seems like heaven - shorts, flip flops, flexible schedules and appreciation for the employee.

But don't believe it for a second.

There are back stabbers and blind sides going on all the time. I was there for 3 years but it changed dramatically in the last two years from 2012 to 2013. As far as I know there were 5 people "let go" in management with no performance improvement plan or attempt to communicate the problem. One person had been there for 18 years and they made a lame excuse and he was "let go". The same thing happened to me.
Pros
open dress standards - shorts, flip flops - flexible work schedules
Cons
they use the 360 review program to back stab and blame, you don't have the benefit of being able to face your accusers, you are guilty as charged, there are bullies who run the production area, they are allowed to mistreat employees including managers who don't "go along", they act like they are your friend, pat you on the back and then you are "out the door", human resources is not on your side, they act like it, but don't trust them for a second.
Installation Technician
Lead technician (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FloridaSeptember 2, 2015
I was a lead technician for a recent position with this company. I was literally thrown into the lead position with absolutely NO training as to what the job consisted of. No paperwork, nothing. Then I was told that I would be on the road for an indefinite amount of time and the constant schedule changes supported this fact.

Then we were given a two week "break" before the next phase started. During these two weeks we were told that, as a "condition of employment", we needed to keep our schedules open for any trouble tickets that might arise. So, for two weeks I checked emails, SENT emails, made phone calls, and tried to find out what I should be doing. After the two weeks was up and the second phase of this project was SUPPOSED to start, I received a one sentence email that stated that phase two had been cancelled. NO explanations, NO reasons, NO offer of ANY compensation for the two weeks that was spent waiting on THEM.

WATCH OUT for this company.....
Pros
Pay on time and accurately
Cons
Extreme LACK of leadership on ALL levels. Expected you to do a job with little information.
Great atmosphere
Sr PCB Designer, Temp (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZOctober 8, 2015
I was brought in as a Temp and although they had lots of work, they would not bring me on as a direct employee with full benefits. They brought in another Temp to replace me and I was let go after a year. I was the only Temp in the group. Looking back, I should have only agreed to work there if I was paid the proper contract rate, which would have been 15-20 more per hour. (I was working as a W2 employee of ViaSat, not a shop). They worked me like a dog, usually 2-3 jobs on any given day, but salary so no overtime. No vacation time and no sick time until the state of California forced them to provide 3 days to all temp and contractors. Bottom line, great place and friendly employees, but cheap!
Pros
free snacks and drinks, quiet work surroundings
Cons
cheap! few benefits, beware of the Temp scam.
Long Hours/ Poor Management/ Poor Communication/ No Training
Shipping/ Receiving/ Inventory (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZMay 5, 2014
I worked long hours to keep up with job demands. No support, would not allow training, not allowed to grow my position, poor communication. For months I did my job and filled in for the other position (because she was no longer there) without any feedback (good or bad). I was asked to do a 360 and the next thing I know I got thrown under the bus. New person not a team player. Do not ever trust HR. they are very unprofessional. The first time I went to management with issues and they were turned around never investgated. Never even received my review. I learned a valuable lesson. Do not put your trust in others. I decided to leave the company.
Pros
pay/ benefits
Cons
poor communication, no training, poor team environment
Awesome Company to work for
Source Inspector (Former Employee) –  Newark, NYMay 29, 2013
ViaSat gave me an opportunity to utilize my attention to detail and observational powers to find and define defects in material and workmanship missed by the contract manufacturers quality inspectors. I learned a lot about tact and diplomacy due to the sensitive nature of Source inspection. The hardest part of the job is being the bearer of bad news, no one wants to hear they made a mistake, much less on an almost daily basis. The thing I enjoyed most was finding the hidden/hard to find non-conformances.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not much in the way of advance notice when i would be required to work
Be aware of the circles
App Eng (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJuly 23, 2012
In my own experiences: salary was lower than industrial standard. Pre-employement process was very tedious but then NO DRUG TEST ??? - I had never been asked to do this. There were circles of USM (US Monolithics - former company or group) vs. ViaSat(new acquired company) - Which one would you belong to?? You can tell at lunch time in the breakroom !! The politics was so thick that I chose to leave. It's more like a R&D facility than Mfg. one. It may work out if you "fit" in one of those circle.
Cons
office politics, circles
Good place with smart people doing cool stuff
Content & Social Media Editor (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 9, 2015
ViaSat is an innovative company that's really trying to push the envelope of the service it provides its subscribers. There's a lot of change happening all the time and the corporate structure is deliberately non-hierarchical, so things can get a little hectic. Overall they treat their employees very well, and compensation and benefits are excellent.
Pros
resources you need are there, pay, benefits, work culture
Cons
sometimes muddy decision making from the top
Work hard, play hard. Caring and supportive corporate team.
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GADecember 1, 2015
The ViaSat team is, by far, one of the hardest working, most competent team I have been a part of. They expect a lot out of their employees, but are willing to provide a work environment that is enjoyable and often fun. They are willing to support the employees with charitable initiatives and know how to celebrate their successes and the team. Great place to work if you don't mind putting in a few extra hours, when needed.
Pros
Challenging work, career development, great recreation facilities
Cons
May have to put in extended hours
Great Collaborative Place to Work
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZAugust 13, 2015
Management provides guidance and goals as needed, but employees have a lot of freedom to make good day to day decisions. Employees are treated in a respectful manner and are made to feel they are a valued resource to the company. Flexible work hours when necessary. Growing company with many great opportunities for advancement. Everyone works very hard to deliver a high quality product. Great pay and benefits.
Pros
Great co-workers, pay, benefits, lunchroom snacks, friendly atmosphere.
Cons
lots of opportunities for long hours and hard work
Impossible to please anyone.
tech (Former Employee) –  englewoodApril 27, 2012
The facilities team has zero people skills and does not understand how a proper facility runs. If you like 280 people who are helpless telling you what to do this job is for you. Also don't ask for any help when you have a question because you need to come with all knowledge. They are young and need to grow up.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
they will suck the life out of you.
Productive and fun workplace, great intern experience
Software Lead (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJanuary 5, 2014
Met and worked with many professional engineers in the government sector. Developed a tool with a group of interns that will be applied to the design of circuit boards in extreme environments. The mentors were helpful and supportive, and there was a good balance between work and play. The weather was nice, and the atmosphere could not be any friendlier.
Pros
recreational sports, great weather, great intern experience
Cons
expensive meals
Via Sat is one of the better employers
MySQL/Postgres Database architect/admin (Current Employee) –  CarlsbadApril 3, 2015
I have been at Via Sat two months and have enjoyed my time here. They have excellent facilities and ensure employees are looked after. It has a diverse product line and a wealth of cutting edge tools and systems which allows for personal development and advancement.
Pros
Gym facilities, lunches, and many other great perks
productive company nice job
Documentation Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAAugust 7, 2014
Work was a constant. Engineers always making something, revamping an item, etc. I was Documentation Control Clerk. I made sure all the Master drawings, software, documents were in the correct order. And all the archive documents were in the correct order, properly stamped so people could tell the difference.
Pros
really nice company to work for
Cons
i stayed at this job for a year before deciding to find one closer to home.
Normal Day
Installer Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 16, 2013
A normal day at ViaSat is very work hard, but in a laid back atmosphere. The dress is very casual and there is a belief here that a relaxed atmosphere is a more productive one. The only draw back is that the advancement here is not as good as they make you think in the beginning with departments wanting to hold on to their better employees.
Pros
dress, benefits, 401k, stock options
Cons
advancement is not great
Excellent Overall Environment - Isolated Management Issues
IT Desktop Analyst/Technician (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GANovember 12, 2013
Management within the IT department was splintered and at times unreasonable to work with.

The co-workers and other departments were excellent to work with and made the atmosphere the most enjoyable part of the job (outside the IT management).

The most difficult part of the job was gaining opportunities for advancement within the IT department.
Pros
gym, locker room, and showers on site. excellent benefits and compensation. great general culture
Cons
poor management with the it department
Good company, most of the people I enjoyed..
Associate (Former Employee) –  PhoenixOctober 9, 2012
I think this could be a great company, if some didn't think they walked on water. I enjoyed the work and most of the people were very helpful. The training area 'Lack of" no people skills to train!! This was very difficult at times. for the most part its a good company Ihope they suceed.
Pros
very nice, laid back enviroment.
Cons
training needs lots of work!!
Great palce for engineers, but not Accounting or Finance
Government Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAOctober 7, 2013
Great palce for engineers, but not Accounting or Finance.
The management was not very good, communication was not good. Most co-workers were easy to work with. I learned that I was more successful working for a really large company, than a smaller on like ViaSat.
Pros
free coffee, tea, etc.
Cons
long drive, much overtime