ViaSat

ViaSat Employee Reviews

Via Sat is one of the better employers
MySQL/Postgres Database architect/admin (Current Employee), CarlsbadApril 3, 2015
Pros: Gym facilities, lunches, and many other great perks
I have been at Via Sat two months and have enjoyed my time here. They have excellent facilities and ensure employees are looked after. It has a diverse product line and a wealth of cutting edge tools and systems which allows for personal development and advancement.
Great work environment
IT Support/ Help (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 18, 2015
Did help desk. was as fun as help desk gets. pay was decent. If you like help desk youll enjoy this company. Dont remember too much else it was years ago
interesting technology but growing pains of an expanding company
Software Engineer (Current Employee), Englewood, COOctober 2, 2014
Their products and services have potential but there is conflicting goals and priorities from upper management and much strife between different divisions and locations. This introduces a lot of inefficiencies and waste
productive company nice job
Documentation Control Clerk (Former Employee), Carlsbad, CAAugust 7, 2014
Pros: really nice company to work for
Cons: i stayed at this job for a year before deciding to find one closer to home.
Work was a constant. Engineers always making something, revamping an item, etc. I was Documentation Control Clerk. I made sure all the Master drawings, software, documents were in the correct order. And all the archive documents were in the correct order, properly stamped so people could tell the difference.
Very open and non-structured work environemt
Senior Desktop Engineer (Former Employee), Carlsbad, CAJune 27, 2014
Pros: amazing benefits
Cons: i work better in a structured environemt
I coordinated IT support between management and the production / manufacturing building on the Carlsbad ViaSat campus. I worked with one report to ensure timely submission, contact, and resolution of technical issues.
Mismanagement reigns supreme
IT Manager (Former Employee), Carlsbad, CAJune 20, 2014
Pros: beautiful campus and wonderful weather
Cons: unethical management
Was interviewed extensively for over 5 months and was offered a position with clearly defined job duties including a signing bonus. Worked there exactly two months with no performance review. First day on job, my job title and responsibilities were changed. Responsibilities were changed on a daily basis making it impossible to keep up. No accountability for poor decisions made by middle and upper management, but lots of finger pointing by management towards lower level employees. Incredible amount of micro-management. Communication highly discouraged with management over direct supervisor. Standards and Practices were clearly defined, but enforcement was lax (depending on one's position with company and "popularity"). Admonished for many of my decisions that ended up being the correct actions (no recognition received). I was eventually "let go" as "not a good fit" because of the failure of an upper management employee to renew a contract with a vendor. I was unable to order replacement supplies for over two weeks and communicated this to my supervisor and director. I eventually communicated directly with the upper management employee responsible for renewing the contract and asked him to expedite the renewal process. I found that the contract had been submitted for renewal to him over a month before my hire date and he "misplaced it".
I have never been treated this badly in my long career and believe that it had been decided to eliminate my position by any means from the first day on the job for whatever reason. My treatment was obviously contrived to force me out by whatever means necessary.
nice company
Senior Recruiter (Former Employee), Carlsbad, CAJune 16, 2014
smart people, nice campus, good benefits. I a not feeling the need to say much more. They are innovative and have a strong business plan.
Long Hours/ Poor Management/ Poor Communication/ No Training
Shipping/ Receiving/ Inventory (Former Employee), Gilbert, AZMay 5, 2014
Pros: pay/ benefits
Cons: poor communication, no training, poor team environment
I worked long hours to keep up with job demands. No support, would not allow training, not allowed to grow my position, poor communication. For months I did my job and filled in for the other position (because she was no longer there) without any feedback (good or bad). I was asked to do a 360 and the next thing I know I got thrown under the bus. New person not a team player. Do not ever trust HR. they are very unprofessional. The first time I went to management with issues and they were turned around never investgated. Never even received my review. I learned a valuable lesson. Do not put your trust in others. I decided to leave the company.
Beware - don't believe what they tell you - Operations department
Manufacturing Engineering Manager (Former Employee), Carlsbad, CAMarch 15, 2014
Pros: open dress standards - shorts, flip flops - flexible work schedules
Cons: they use the 360 review program to back stab and blame, you don't have the benefit of being able to face your accusers, you are guilty as charged, there are bullies who run the production area, they are allowed to mistreat employees including managers who don't "go along", they act like they are your friend, pat you on the back and then you are "out the door", human resources is not on your side, they act like it, but don't trust them for a second.
On the surface, this company seems like heaven - shorts, flip flops, flexible schedules and appreciation for the employee.

But don't believe it for a second.

There are back stabbers and blind sides going on all the time. I was there for 3 years but it changed dramatically in the last two years from 2012 to 2013. As far as I know there were 5 people "let go" in management with no performance improvement plan or attempt to communicate the problem. One person had been there for 18 years and they made a lame excuse and he was "let go". The same thing happened to me.
Productive work place
Sr Engineering Manager (Current Employee), Carlsbad, CAMarch 8, 2014
Learn new technologies, develop new products, see the envisioned products fielded
work is sporadic. pay is ok but could be better. job itself is enjoyable and challenging at times.
Independent Sub Contractor (Current Employee), Arizona- Entire State- based out of Maricopa, AZFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: no main office. worked from home and customer locations. pay decent when there is work.
Cons: no healthcare, 401k benefits, backcharged for viasat equipment problems, inconsistant work, paychecks always shorted but not fixed, no lunches, no breaks
Viasat itself is a nice company to work for who engineers, manufactures, and provides high speed internet satellite systems across the country. It seems to be very professional and structured at Viasat however they contract out all the field work in Arizona which seems much more unprofessional fulfilling contractors work. My core belief is companies succeed with satisfied and happy customers but in the contract field of my line of work I have found fulfillment contracting focuses more on production and fulfilling the contractual agreements to get the jobs done rather than meeting customer needs and satisfying them. I have worked on both sides now and feel I fit better internally with an established in house company where my beliefs mirror theirs. I believe there is a way to provide both and still be effective and efficient and have a proven track record of it. I enjoyed the product I installed, serviced, and maintained however the contract company I sub contracted for was very unstable, and has poor shady business practices that has affected my company financially in the past already 3 times and could possibly happen soon again.
Productive and fun workplace, great intern experience
Software Lead (Former Employee), Carlsbad, CAJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: recreational sports, great weather, great intern experience
Cons: expensive meals
Met and worked with many professional engineers in the government sector. Developed a tool with a group of interns that will be applied to the design of circuit boards in extreme environments. The mentors were helpful and supportive, and there was a good balance between work and play. The weather was nice, and the atmosphere could not be any friendlier.
Excellent Overall Environment - Isolated Management Issues
IT Desktop Analyst/Technician (Former Employee), Duluth, GANovember 12, 2013
Pros: gym, locker room, and showers on site. excellent benefits and compensation. great general culture
Cons: poor management with the it department
Management within the IT department was splintered and at times unreasonable to work with.

The co-workers and other departments were excellent to work with and made the atmosphere the most enjoyable part of the job (outside the IT management).

The most difficult part of the job was gaining opportunities for advancement within the IT department.
Great palce for engineers, but not Accounting or Finance
Government Accounting Manager (Former Employee), Carlsbad, CAOctober 7, 2013
Pros: free coffee, tea, etc.
Cons: long drive, much overtime
Great palce for engineers, but not Accounting or Finance.
The management was not very good, communication was not good. Most co-workers were easy to work with. I learned that I was more successful working for a really large company, than a smaller on like ViaSat.
Fun company to work with
Antenna Design Intern (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 30, 2013
Great people and great job opportunity. I was just an intern so can't say a lot about being a full-time. I learned a lot though, senior engineers were very willing to give help. I took advantage of it!
Not as professional as they should be.
Recruiter (Former Employee), Carlsbad, CAJune 16, 2013
Pros: good coffee
Cons: stuffy work place
The company is still too "wet-behind-the ears", pandering to little cliques groups on the non-engineering side. Those with seniority have not dealt with the outside world in eons and have antiquated perspectives.
Awesome Company to work for
Source Inspector (Former Employee), Newark, NYMay 29, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: not much in the way of advance notice when i would be required to work
ViaSat gave me an opportunity to utilize my attention to detail and observational powers to find and define defects in material and workmanship missed by the contract manufacturers quality inspectors. I learned a lot about tact and diplomacy due to the sensitive nature of Source inspection. The hardest part of the job is being the bearer of bad news, no one wants to hear they made a mistake, much less on an almost daily basis. The thing I enjoyed most was finding the hidden/hard to find non-conformances.
Normal Day
Installer Relations Representative (Current Employee), Englewood, COMay 16, 2013
Pros: dress, benefits, 401k, stock options
Cons: advancement is not great
A normal day at ViaSat is very work hard, but in a laid back atmosphere. The dress is very casual and there is a belief here that a relaxed atmosphere is a more productive one. The only draw back is that the advancement here is not as good as they make you think in the beginning with departments wanting to hold on to their better employees.
Fun Place to Work / Great Environment
Engineer (Current Employee), Gilbert, AZApril 5, 2013
Great work/life balance for me. Interesting work. Great people -- even the management (imo). Fun company activities. Flexible schedule.
Great company, good luck getting hired these days
Software Quality Assurance (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 26, 2013
Love ViaSat as a company. It has gotten very "corporate" lately though and their hiring practices have suffered. If you can get in, it's a great company. Human Resources is a bit lacking, though.

July 9, 2013

Odd bunch. Time to go through and replace them all with HR professionals.

About ViaSat

ViaSat serves up digital satellite, networking, and signal processing equipment for both government and commercial clients. It – Read more