ViaSat Employee Reviews

Bad Management and culture
RF Test Technician (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 23, 2017
Over all bad experience at ViaSat in Tempe. Management are ex General Dynamics people and the bad culture has spilled over to ViaSat in Tempe. The procedures and production flow are terrible, for example, product is placed in the wrong queues, which results in wasted time. They need better standards for production flow. People that have been working there for a while are unwilling to help and if they do it is with bitter comments. The managers play favorites and treat some people unfairly. Pay is on the low end for RF technicians in the valley. I would not recommend this company to a friend or co-worker. I have actually addressed my concerns with other technicians that were interested in working for ViaSat.
Pros
Snacks and basketball
Cons
Management & some people
Good work environment but management could be better.
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAOctober 22, 2017
Good place to start from college. Work/life balance is great and job provides good benefits. The management practices vary a great deal across the organization.
Racist Environment, Racist Culture
Satellite Technician (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAOctober 19, 2017
Extreme racist culture. If you are African-American you are not welcome there. You will be treated like you don't exist. My ideas were stolen and I was subject to childish name-calling by racist supervisors. It doesn't matter that I had perfect attendance and did a great job everyday.
Pros
Cons
Racist culture, verbal abuse
excellent
Technical Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAOctober 11, 2017
ViaSat is an excellent place to work. I would recommend if you are looking for a laid back culture with excellent benefits, this is the place to work.
Great Company to work for
Installer Relations and Partner Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COSeptember 20, 2017
ViaSat was a great company to work for due to the employees and the culture. The company believes in working hard and yet having fun while at work. Holiday parties and bbqs and whatnot were some of the things that took place often at ViaSat.
Pros
The people and the culture
Cons
Lack of opportunities for advancement
school
Document Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CASeptember 11, 2017
viasat university was free to learn microsoft word and excell.
the dress was too casual and many people worked from home and were very dishonest on the hours that they worked.
Pros
very casual
Cons
too casual
Good for engineers, bad for marketing
UX/UI Designer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 9, 2017
Overall, I think ViaSat is a good company with good people, good benefits, and good values. However, I don't think their culture and fairness model, developed for a start up, has grown well to all their current locations. Also, as a creative professional in a non-creative company, I find it to be an unsatisfying and often frustrating place to work.
Mushrooming company with small company values
Tech Writer (Former Employee) –  Bokeelia Island, FLJuly 17, 2017
My viewpoint is a bit unusual as I was a remote worker during my 6 year tenure with ViaSat. I have actually never worked at a ViaSat facility except for temporary visits.

ViaSat is a bit difficult to describe since it is a federation of of different companies acquired mostly through acquisitions. Each individual company has its own unique culture.

.ViaSat puts great value in their employees and goes to lengths to promote a congenial fun place to work. The company is very forward looking and is involved in an amazing variety of interesting projects. Employees are expected to work hard but there is also a good work life balance.

I found my co-workers to be very helpful in getting me up to speed technically. There is a spirit of cooperation and comadre that is unusual in a company as large as ViaSat.

My telecommuting job was a dream job. Unfortunately my work ran out. ViaSat offered me a relocation to their Carlsbad CA HQ but my wife could not relocate. I am just grateful for the 6 years that I had with this company.
Pros
Free Gormet Coffee, Juices, Snacks, Employee events, educational oppportunites
Cons
Physical facilities are having difficulties keeping up with rapid growth
Dynamic work environment
Engineer (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJuly 16, 2017
A very fluid environment with challenging technical problems. Some very intelligent and competent employees. Some long work hours are required at times to meet deadlines.
Work with Smart People
Talent Acquisition Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 24, 2017
The type of company you want to end up retiring at. Great people to work with. The culture is great in terms of beach cruisers, volley ball courts, and a slide in one of the buildings. Some people in management shouldn't be managers, but the good ones are the best! You really do believe in all they do at the company and that's reassuring. I wish it was more of a creative/start-up environment like Amazon, Google, Silicone Valley type of offices.
Pros
Overall great!
Cons
Wish it was more innovative in some departments
Great Company. Vibrant Culture. Promising Future
Security Representative (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMay 24, 2017
There is not much I can say about ViaSat that isn't positive. It is a growing and innovative company with a promising future. Not only do they give back to their employees, but they give back to the community as well. I am continuously rewarded for my dedication to the company and am proud to work at one of the top DoD contractors in the county. If there is a better place to work I haven't found it yet.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Lack of interdepartmental communication
Not organized
Corporate Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 4, 2017
ViaSat needs to work on more of a structured work environment. Too many managers and supervisors not on the same page. Work staff was really enjoyable and easy to get a long with. However, too many secrets and a lot of mis-information given due to management not being on the same page.
Edge of technology
Hardware Delivery Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 3, 2017
I mostly enjoy my time working at ViaSat. Pay is really good, benefits are excellent.
This is a large company trying to become agile. It doesn't always work well. Lack of planning slows down the majority of projects and not fully understanding the technologies being used.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
lack of leadership via planning
Security Administrator
Security Administrator (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMay 2, 2017
The company has a great culture and is a fun and engaging place to work. I learned a lot and worked with very nice, very intelligent people. The courtyard and cafeteria are great, and they have a very good focus on wellness and life balance.
Fun Young Staff
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 17, 2017
Fun Company to work for and very technology driven. Very good opportunities to grow and learn a new area of the business world. The Carlsbad office is amazing, go if you get the chance.
An amazing summer
Digital Multimedia Intern- Marketing (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 20, 2017
The internship program that Viasat has to offer is outstanding. I haven't grown as much as a person in any other 3 months of my life, and I'd be happy to work there again.
Great company to work for.
Business Systems Analyst / Financial Systems (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMarch 19, 2017
Overall great place to work. They offer Great benefits and a 401k. They have flexible work schedules which is great also. Upper Management is fun to work with also.
Good work and good people
Director, Business Development (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAFebruary 15, 2017
I enjoyed working at ViaSat Atlanta. It is a hard working group of people, but being a California-owned company, there is a Westcoast technology company culture. This means great benefits, occasional free lunches, parties, happy hours, tennis court, basketball court, gym, free coffee/snack bar..like I said, great benefits.
Pros
Great benefits and great people
Cons
Risk aversion at the C-level
Fun place to work; Great people and culture
PM (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAFebruary 11, 2017
Great place to work outside of a few management issues. People and culture are great. Lots of fun activities and events. Downside is some in management have issues communicating effectively and don't support their team.
Great company and co-workers!
Tier 2 Tech Support (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 30, 2017
This is a great company with great co-workers to work with that has many of opportunities to offer. The greatest part of the job is to learn the technology industry from a hands on approach.
Pros
work life and personal life balance and benefits
Cons
financial compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ViaSat. Our community is ready to answer.