ViaSat Employee Reviews

Great People, Low Pay
Customer Operations Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 11, 2016
A typical day at work involves helping callers with the needs they have. I learned that callers will always complain about the company and they need lots of help. Management is very good and always there when you need further assistance. Coworkers work well together and there is a very good team environment. The hardest part of the job is the angry callers. The most enjoyable part of the day is when it's time to go home.
Pros
Cons
Pay
Great company and co-workers!
Tier 2 Tech Support (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 30, 2017
This is a great company with great co-workers to work with that has many of opportunities to offer. The greatest part of the job is to learn the technology industry from a hands on approach.
Pros
work life and personal life balance and benefits
Cons
financial compensation
Fun place to work; Great people and culture
PM (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAFebruary 11, 2017
Great place to work outside of a few management issues. People and culture are great. Lots of fun activities and events. Downside is some in management have issues communicating effectively and don't support their team.
Decent pay, not worth selling your soul
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXNovember 29, 2016
A typical day is jumping into phone queues that are each stacked 10 calls deep waiting, because of some change that R&D made overnight without telling anybody about it. I learned that if you try to care about every angry person calling in, you will be destroyed from the inside out by stress. The management needs to be completely replaced. They make up rules about performance without sharing them with the employees, ignoring written policy, and don't tell you that you have been breaking said rule until you have broken it enough times for them to have cause to fire you. It was probably because I was making a lot more than the new people they had started hiring, and they are trying to weed out the older generation of employees so they don't have to pay as much. Coworkers are great for the most part. The hardest part of the job was the stress and anxiety that was brought on by just walking into the building. The most enjoyable part of the job were the friends that I made over the 2 years I worked here.
Pros
Coworkers
Innovative Company
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 12, 2016
Will be the leader for inflight wi-fi in the next 5 years. Culture is great in Carlsbad but needs work in the Denver office. Good people work there and they have great benefits.
Enjoyable work place
Systems Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 24, 2017
A typical workday was spent at a lab setting up and configuring modems / Base stations with new SW builds. I was unfortunate enough to work with a manager who micromanaged and made a non-conducive environment to work. None of my colleagues from other teams were happy there either.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
poor management
Sad
System Integration Associate (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAJanuary 28, 2017
Sad and sorry all too typical examples of politics getting in the way of accomplishing the workload. Showering the customer with pretty words but not delivering in time due to the politics. Too many shortcuts taken resulting in a less than proper product.
Excellent work culture and cutting edge hardware
Test Technician III (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 20, 2016
Viasat had a great work culture, room for advancement in department as well as lateral advancement possibilities.
Great bennefits and diverse groups to work with.
Great product lines.
Pros
Sporting event tickets, Ice cream socials
Cons
Growing pains as the company expanded.
Hard work with little advancement (Contracting Company)
INSTALLATIONS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 8, 2016
This was not for Viasat as a whole, this was for a Sub-Contractor company out of Alabama. They where extremely un-professional, paid in a different way every time and we had to request a list of what we had been paid for. The product I can still stand behind, it is a very good service that is fast and reliable as long as it's installed correctly. The company as a whole, I never had any issues with. Just this one sub-contractor (Bama PC Comm in association with Perfect 10) was very hard to deal with, and I suspect they are running a scheme against their installers.
Pros
Meeting great people, traveling, descent pay per job
Cons
Never paid the same way twice, extensive driving with no compensation, missing payment on some jobs, horrid rules that could mean not getting paid after hard work
Productive Company
Engineer Technician (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAMarch 11, 2016
Able to set work hours as long as you worked 8 hours. You had to be self-sufficient, which I really enjoyed. I learned to build multiple cable assemblies. I learned the Viasat ways and their procedures. The management had an open door policy. My co-workers were great to work with. They were willing to help whenever needed. Always open to suggestions, worked great as a team. The hardest part of my job was managing my time with all the work I had. The most enjoyable part of the job at Viasat was the work and the people that I was associated with.
Pros
Great Salary, Great People, Great Work enviroment, Great Benefits
Cons
Time Sheets / keeping up with multiple job/task numbers
Above Average Company
Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 23, 2016
I was only an intern for a summer and it was my first job. But everyone was very polite, friendly, and understanding. I can't comment much more on the company culture other than perhaps it was a bit...boring? The salary and benefits were excellent though.
Nothing bad to report
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 16, 2016
I tell you, hopeless grief is passionless;

That only men incredulous of despair,

Half-taught in anguish, through the midnight air

Beat upward to God’s throne in loud access

Of shrieking and reproach. Full desertness,

In souls as countries, lieth silent-bare

Under the blanching, vertical eye-glare

Of the absolute heavens. Deep-hearted man, express

Grief for thy dead in silence like to death —

Most like a monumental statue set

In everlasting watch and moveless woe

Till itself crumble to the dust beneath.

Touch it; the marble eyelids are not wet:

If it could weep, it could arise and go.
benefits
Cons
career opportunity
Great culture
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Bryan, TXSeptember 11, 2016
Very laid back but productive company
The benefits are outstanding
A lot of opportunities for employment
The chance to work on groundbreaking technologies.
Great Collaborative Place to Work
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZAugust 13, 2015
Management provides guidance and goals as needed, but employees have a lot of freedom to make good day to day decisions. Employees are treated in a respectful manner and are made to feel they are a valued resource to the company. Flexible work hours when necessary. Growing company with many great opportunities for advancement. Everyone works very hard to deliver a high quality product. Great pay and benefits.
Pros
Great co-workers, pay, benefits, lunchroom snacks, friendly atmosphere.
Cons
lots of opportunities for long hours and hard work
Excellent place to work
Sr. Compensation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMarch 29, 2016
ViaSat is an excellent place to work for self-starters and people who can think creatively. Anything is possible at ViaSat, which can be difficult for people who definite rules.
Pros
Excellent benefits, great culture
Cons
Lack of structure
9 years of dedicated hard work
Electro-Mechanical Assembly (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAOctober 24, 2016
22 mile per day bike ride every day, every year.
Able to work at my own, accelerated pace without restriction.
Very stable product line.
Pros
Nice folk to work with
Cons
Released on a whim.
Exceptional vision and technology for satellite communications. Emphasis on employee advancement.
Area Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 11, 2016
Terrific company. Appreciate the ability I was given to learn and advance. I would recommend ViaSat to anyone in the industry.
Long Hours/ Poor Management/ Poor Communication/ No Training
Shipping/ Receiving/ Inventory (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZMay 5, 2014
I worked long hours to keep up with job demands. No support, would not allow training, not allowed to grow my position, poor communication. For months I did my job and filled in for the other position (because she was no longer there) without any feedback (good or bad). I was asked to do a 360 and the next thing I know I got thrown under the bus. New person not a team player. Do not ever trust HR. they are very unprofessional. The first time I went to management with issues and they were turned around never investgated. Never even received my review. I learned a valuable lesson. Do not put your trust in others. I decided to leave the company.
Pros
Pay/ Benefits
Cons
Poor Communication, No Training, Poor Team Environment
Great pace to work with nice facilities.
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Enjoyed the working there because of the co-workers, the facilities and the culture. The opportunities for advancement seemed limited.
Pros
People and facilites.
Cons
Need to implement 9-80 work schedule.
No coordination
Sales (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAOctober 9, 2016
There's a great lack of coordination of projects, technology and strategies between divisions. Each does its own & is very close hold about sharing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ViaSat. Our community is ready to answer.