VIAVI Solutions Employee Reviews

Great Place to work, Fantastic Manager.
Senior Software Reliability Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCJuly 13, 2016
I enjoyed working at JDSU / Viavi. Viavi Solutions is now the new name of the company. I was fortunate to have a really great manager who cared about and looked after his people
Very high pressure, long hours expected
Staff Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 12, 2016
Very high pressure daily. The company was split into two, Viavi, and Lumentum. You will get emails from management even as late as 2am.

Life/work balance can be a problem... you may not get weeks of vacation, only a few days here/there, depending on the production needs. They have DTO (discretionary time off). There is no accrual of the DTO, use it or lose it.
Pros
employment, stocks, health (medical/dental) insurance benefits, profit sharing
Cons
only discretionary time off.
Good company
Product Application Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJune 17, 2016
JDSU changed names to VIAVI, good company to work for with leading edge network monitoring systems, best part is the people.
Great place to work with a focus on training
IT Professional 2 (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 20, 2016
I was given many roles at JDSU, and gained much experience. Training was never a problem, and I enjoyed the challenges!

Skills acquired during my time there include:
• Server Administration - Windows, Linux
• SSH
• Technical Writing
• PBX administration
• Cisco Switch administration
Pros
Great challenges, good training, good people, could work from home
Cons
60-minute drive to the office
Demanding
Sr Manager (Former Employee) –  GlobalJanuary 20, 2016
Positive work environment allowing growth and advancement. JDSU's global presence brings cross functional teams together and strengthens cultural bonds.
Company is productive and accomodates the employees with company bonus based on the companie's profits
Equipment Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTNovember 22, 2015
Lumentum offers great work environment,knowledgeable work staff and and caring co workers concerned about producing a quality product.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJNovember 20, 2015
This job entailed setting up and support distributors both in the US and Europe. Made many new contacts in this process and set up the whole distribution channel in Europe. Great work experience.
Pros
Small intimate group of people
Cons
Difficult to get sample products due to limited resources
typical day at work most enjoyable, management and coworkers worked well together .The company worked with its employees
Hot Stamp Embosser/Rewind Inspector (Former Employee) –  Robbinsville, NJOctober 9, 2015
Fun place to work with supportive management.Decent amount of red tape and politics,Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop skills,with costumers.There was a lot of variety in what we did each day,ranging from the monotonous tasks to new projects that were challenging and exciting. But this is expected with a big company.The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Pros
Enjoyed working at Opsec/JDSU, the job was interesting along with my colleagues.We learned a lot over the years
Cons
Company closed its doors and moved. was hard losing a job that I loved going for the 9+ years
I enjoyed working at JDSU but my opportunities were limited
Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDSeptember 27, 2015
While working at JDSU I was not given the opportunity to grow for the time in which I worked there. It was definitely a lot of politics which I do not care to get into. Although my advancements were limited I took advantage of my experiences and knowledge I gain while working there. Overall I had a great experience.
Challenging and Envolving
Senior Global Customer Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 18, 2015
Company operates in a very competitive market with constantly evolving technologies. The people are world class and strive to provide their customers with cutting edge technology and world class customer service.

The company empowers employees and cross-functional teaming is encouraged to better the overall customer experience.

The company is medium in size, which offers plenty of opportunities to diversify your development.
industry leader.
Technical Support Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 14, 2015
work with great people onsite and good local management.
they try and have events and lunches for employees.

Good quality products and Engineers and support. Industry leading products.

coworkers and customers keep you going, even through the attrition of constant restructuring or cost reduction.
Pros
site lunches and events and small bonus payout
Cons
no advancement, constantly restructuring with every new management change.
good company, but no communication
assembler (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTSeptember 9, 2015
good company, but no communication, site closing, good people, management not present, low morale, good pay,night conference calls, travel
Too many changes
Order Management Representative (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDSeptember 1, 2015
Big company with no direction. Not sure where we are headed as too many changes have occurred since I began working there. Stability is lacking and management doesn't seem to know where the company is supposed to go. Sad that many employees don't feel more positive about working there as changes mostly seem negative.
Pros
Good salaries
Cons
Too many changes
Productive and fun work place with ping pong table
Senior UNIX Administrator, Colorado Springs (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 9, 2015
Technically excellent work environment with a strong work/life balance. Professional trainig available as required to maintain leading edge technical skillset. Strong and vibrant team environment promoting divesrse skillset to customers in an R&D environment.
Pros
ping pong table, flexible work schedule, WFH available
Cons
job security, rapidly changing upper management
Great work to life balance
Electrical Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDJuly 6, 2015
The work environment is great and the people make it a great place to work. The company’s management philosophy makes it difficult to advance within the company, and each quarter there seems to be the need to reduce personnel to achieve the financial numbers.
Pros
DTO
Cons
Advancement opportunites
productive and fun work place
Laser Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 26, 2015
After 6 years of working at JDSU, I have learned technical and
professional jobs such as:
* Creating more than 1 laser unit for a day.
* Control myself in how to process 1 laser unit start from a diode.
* My co-workers were helped me to organize the starting racks.
* The hardest part of the job is make the stable laser units.
Great place to work!
Customer Care Advocate / Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDJune 16, 2015
I really enjoyed working for JDSU. A typical day at JDSU was very pleasant, positive and productive. I have learned so many skills from being in the presence of upper management who were more than happy to help. Nothing was ever to hard at JDSU, the challages that were given made work worthwhile.
I must say JDSU knew how to treat there employees.
Pros
Tailgating parties and holiday gatherings.
Cons
nothing
Great company to work at.
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  CAJune 3, 2015
My day at work was full of load. Processed 500 invoices . My manager was extremely professional . The job environment was extremely fast and team oriented. I really liked and enjoyed my job.

JDSU had employees from all ethnicity .
The ship is sinking
Senior Hardware Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDMay 18, 2015
First and second level managers are fantastic, co-workers are among the smartest I've ever met. Positives end there - director level and above management don't respect employees in the slightest and there is no plan for profitability other than reducing the bottom-line since they can't execute on any of their directives to generate real revenue.
Pros
first and second level managers, come and go as I please
Cons
horrible upper level and executives, poor compensation, bad culture
Good place to get your feet wet
Sr. R&D Engineer, Software Development (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDMay 14, 2015
JDSU is an excellent place to get your career started but advancement opportunities are few and far between.

Engineers at JDSU succeed at JDSU in spite of management, not due to it.
Pros
Unlimited vacation within reason
Cons
Poor upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VIAVI Solutions. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9