VICTIM SUPPORT Employee Reviews

Loved working there, devastated when it closed.
SDA (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and WearJanuary 23, 2017
Really satisfying work and great colleagues. Local office closed down. I worked as both a volunteer meeting clients and support staff assisting in all office work.
Pros
Job Satisfaction
Cons
Redundancy
not productive
Manager (Former Employee) –  DudleyJanuary 19, 2017
I left there no support at all too many chiefs and if face don't fit you got no chance. never had any decent people running it Go no idea at all and no people skills. Volunteers deserve better they give up own time but not treated with any respect
productive and committed people
Voluntary Worker (Current Employee) –  Earls CourtJanuary 16, 2017
the workplace is calm and relaxed, staff is helpful and committed to the cause. training are excellent and as a volunteer i feel completely involved in the process and supported.
Appalling management
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater LondonJanuary 11, 2017
Worked at a London office as a volunteer for nine months which was a complete waste of time for me.

Management was appalling, lack of communication and no transparency within the organisation. Advancement and training courses were very limited and only given to favourite members of staff, making it very difficult for advancement.

Although I have a criminology degree I was given very basic mundane work writing out leaflets and chasing up calls for those that need alarms for just a few hours a day, when I was remembered to be called into work. Not really what I had in mind to do.

Complaints to management are a waste of time. It's a very closed shop !
Pros
Charity supporting victims of crime
Cons
Appalling management.Lack of communication
Informative and rewarding.
Domestic Violence Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa, WarwickshireJanuary 9, 2017
Flexible hours, worked in various teams specifically liked domestic violence role. Friendly and helpful staff colleagues.
Pros
Flexible time
I have enjoyed my time with Victim Support, my colleagues are friendly, encouraging and helpful.
Service Delivery Assistance (Current Employee) –  HullDecember 19, 2016
Entering clients (Injured Persons) onto system. Supporting clients/representing them with their Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority Claims, liaising with clients, cica, police, gp's. Supporting Volunteers Correspondence, telephone enquiries, also worked in the Witness Service Section at Hull Crown Court,
Pros
Varied enjoyable worthwhile work, felt I was making a difference
Cons
Too many chiefs
great work place
Data Assistant (Former Employee) –  LondonDecember 4, 2016
great people to work with. employer helps to develop the employees. great place for team working. understanding to contractor. focused on the organization as well as the employees.
Friendly environment, productive workplace
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Earls CourtNovember 2, 2016
Nice workplace, but I am currently looking for a new challenge.
It's a great place to gather and accumulate experience, very busy and very vibrant work environment that requires attention to details skills.
Pros
Location, central London
Cons
Long working hours
Pressurized Role
Service Delivery Assistant (Current Employee) –  WokingOctober 10, 2016
A typical day is most likely to be the same as before and a foretaste of the day after. Pressurized, extremely busy, but mostly repetitive. Co-workers are good but, like you, under their own pressures. Management have quotas to meet, which puts all under even greater pressure. People who initially discuss or then go on to meet clients are, amazingly, unpaid volunteers. They are the backbone of the VS organization.
Pros
Good employee benefits
Cons
Out of hours meetings
Nice place to work
Service Delivery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire and HumbersideOctober 9, 2016
Really enjoyed working for Victim Support. Great support from management and great work life balance.

Volunteers respected and a great team. Good training in place.
Pros
flexible hours, volunteers
Cons
training venues long distances away, charity lost contracts
The truth
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  LondonAugust 23, 2016
I enjoyed the work but the management is absolutely appalling. Advancement only given to favourite members of staff. Lots of backstabbing and nothing being done my management to stop this. Management only care about statistics despite the poor computer system used. Affairs between managers and staff members is rife.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Poor management
Young Victims Project Worker, Haringey
Young Victims Project Worker (Former Employee) –  HaringeyJuly 27, 2016
In this role, no two days were ever the same. My days consisted of me meeting my clients (either in their homes, in my office, or in an outreach centre), going to partnership meetings with other agencies, preparing workshops and then going to schools to deliver workshops, arranging and attending drop-in sessions. I worked with young people between the ages of 5 and 24 and provided them support for a crime they may have experienced, or I delivered a workshop to them in a school setting.
I enjoyed this job so much. It helped a lot of children and young people to get support and provided me with some very invaluable experience.
Interesting
Volunteer support worker (Current Employee) –  HuddersfieldJuly 4, 2016
Really enjoyed volunteering for victim support, every day was a different experience, really like working closely with victims and seeing their confidence float again after certain situations they had experienced,
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Voluntary, would of been nice to secure paid work in this sector
good
service delivery manager (Current Employee) –  ChesterJune 14, 2016
good service helping other in our community move past crime that has happened to them. ongoing support fror all peopele who have ben affected and this encompasses family and friend of the victim, we also have a homicide service
Pros
supporting the most vulnerable in oour society
Cons
working long hours
Productive, lots of learning
HR & Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  LondonMay 30, 2016
Hands full- absolutely tremendous pressure in a very supportive environment with great team. Lots of learning opportunities, freedom to initiate new things.
Pros
good work culture- diversity, inclusivity, trust & confidence
Cons
travel from Oxford to London- every day!
Rewarding and Challenging
Volunteer Manager (Former Employee) –  ManchesterMay 24, 2016
Support of co-workers was essential as the work could be very stressful and emotionally draining, you were dealing with people at their lowest point. The rewards were seeing justice for the benefit of the victim, the hardest part was when the victim felt the justice system had let them down. Seeing people recover and become stronger as a consequence was satisfying and it was a privilege to be part of that process.
Pros
Supportive colegues
Cons
Emotionaly stressfull
Can be demanding yet.... REWARDING
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Glen Innes, Auckland EastMay 23, 2016
Can be demanding depending on crimes committed or sudden deaths in the area. Highly professional and is victim focused and victim led using Te Whare Tapa Wha framework which is the holistic approach to understanding Maori wellbeing.
Pros
specific ongoing training and getting reimbursed for mileage and food used while working
Cons
Not enough funding
Volunteer support worker
Volunteer Support Worker (Current Employee) –  PengeMay 16, 2016
A fantastic charity that aims to help service users find the strength and get their lives back together. The work we do helps so many people and there should be more awareness of what victim support does. I thoroughly enjoy working with victim support and has made a huge difference to my life. It has helped me decide what career path to go down and I thoroughly enjoy the work I do.
Poor technology
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  LondonMay 4, 2016
Rewarding work with a great team of volunteers and staff. Badly hindered by poor technology making it more difficult than it should be to meet targets.
Pros
Great to work support people in difficult times.
Volunteer Work
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  BelfastApril 18, 2016
When I began volunteering for Victim Support I had to undertake several weeks training to understand what was involved and what was expected of me. This was valuable training which I used throughout my time there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VICTIM SUPPORT. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3