VICTIM SUPPORT Employee Reviews

Forward thinking charity
SERVICE DELIVERY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  East MidlandsOctober 2, 2017
Typical day at work included checking & responding to emails. dealing with issues raised by staff. Supervision meetings with staff at their satellite offices. Partnership meetings with various criminal justice agencies. Assisting colleagues where required. Analysing work and comparing results against targets, where a shortfall, setting up actions to adjust work and meet targets. Bidding for funds to continue charitable work.

Management at National level was positive for most part, however, locally, it was very deficient, with 6 senior managers being forced out of their roles by local management.

Workplace culture was very sensitive to those we provided services to. With 2 main services, there was a definite split in workloads and expectations.

Hardest part of the job was commuting to and from work. Most enjoyable was dealing directly with volunteers and clients

I learned much about analysing work and setting/monitoring targets
Pros
responsibilities given
Cons
travel to/from work
Great training for volunteers
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  SuffolkSeptember 16, 2017
Excellent training and support for people wishing to volunteer. Each case is unique and often challenging but rewarding in equal measures. The opportunity to do further training in more serious crimes available.
Rewarding and challenging role
Initial Response Officer (Former Employee) –  Chandlers Ford, HampshireApril 14, 2017
Worked 16 hours contract a week however regularly did overtime equating to about 30 hours per week. Lovely small office environment with very friendly staff and volunteers overall.
My life as a Victim Support Volunteer
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Prestatyn, FlintshireApril 11, 2017
I was a volunteer with Victim Support for 7 Years. I found great personal reward within my time at Victim Support.
On a day to day basis I would support a wide spectrum of people from all walks of life. No two people were the same. I have supported all ages, genders, religions etc. There is no restrictions within Victim Support, everyone is treated equally no matter who they are.
Within my time at Victim Support I learned a lot about myself, who I am and my outlook on life.
The hardest part of the job was being able to detach yourself from the heart ache of what victims of crime have gone through. Having someone offload their deepest feelings and fears to you can be very exhausting and a strain on your emotions but you become strong through experience and adapt where needed.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smiles on peoples faces when they have been through the judicial system and have emerged from the other side as a stronger person who is one the road to a happier life.
Challenging and rewarding
Trainer, Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Watford, HertfordshireMarch 12, 2017
Confidentiality was paramount. Was able to meet deadlines and allocate volunteers to Victims of Crime

I have prepared materials and delivered core training (6 modules to potential volunteers and well as other subjects.

I have prepared reports, and raised awareness of any concerns I may have for Hertfordshire County Council each month.
Pros
Not applicable
Cons
No applicabl
Lovely to be able to help
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, UKFebruary 28, 2017
Helping victims of crime etc.
Giving them the support just listening, Its great feeling when you are able to do as little but for someone its a lot just to be there.
Pros
Volunteering
Cons
Voluntering
A great place to work
ISD Support analyst (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater ManchesterFebruary 18, 2017
lovely bunch of people, very helpful and welcoming, the management is good and supportive, giving a chance will work with them again
Loved working there, devastated when it closed.
SDA (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and WearJanuary 23, 2017
Really satisfying work and great colleagues. Local office closed down. I worked as both a volunteer meeting clients and support staff assisting in all office work.
Pros
Job Satisfaction
Cons
Redundancy
not productive
Manager (Former Employee) –  DudleyJanuary 19, 2017
I left there no support at all too many chiefs and if face don't fit you got no chance. never had any decent people running it Go no idea at all and no people skills. Volunteers deserve better they give up own time but not treated with any respect
productive and committed people
Voluntary Worker (Current Employee) –  Earls CourtJanuary 16, 2017
the workplace is calm and relaxed, staff is helpful and committed to the cause. training are excellent and as a volunteer i feel completely involved in the process and supported.
Appalling management
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater LondonJanuary 11, 2017
Worked at a London office as a volunteer for nine months which was a complete waste of time for me.

Management was appalling, lack of communication and no transparency within the organisation. Advancement and training courses were very limited and only given to favourite members of staff, making it very difficult for advancement.

Although I have a criminology degree I was given very basic mundane work writing out leaflets and chasing up calls for those that need alarms for just a few hours a day, when I was remembered to be called into work. Not really what I had in mind to do.

Complaints to management are a waste of time. It's a very closed shop !
Pros
Charity supporting victims of crime
Cons
Appalling management.Lack of communication
Informative and rewarding.
Domestic Violence Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa, WarwickshireJanuary 9, 2017
Flexible hours, worked in various teams specifically liked domestic violence role. Friendly and helpful staff colleagues.
Pros
Flexible time
I have enjoyed my time with Victim Support, my colleagues are friendly, encouraging and helpful.
Service Delivery Assistance (Current Employee) –  HullDecember 19, 2016
Entering clients (Injured Persons) onto system. Supporting clients/representing them with their Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority Claims, liaising with clients, cica, police, gp's. Supporting Volunteers Correspondence, telephone enquiries, also worked in the Witness Service Section at Hull Crown Court,
Pros
Varied enjoyable worthwhile work, felt I was making a difference
Cons
Too many chiefs
great work place
Data Assistant (Former Employee) –  LondonDecember 4, 2016
great people to work with. employer helps to develop the employees. great place for team working. understanding to contractor. focused on the organization as well as the employees.
Friendly environment, productive workplace
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Earls CourtNovember 2, 2016
Nice workplace, but I am currently looking for a new challenge.
It's a great place to gather and accumulate experience, very busy and very vibrant work environment that requires attention to details skills.
Pros
Location, central London
Cons
Long working hours
Pressurized Role
Service Delivery Assistant (Current Employee) –  WokingOctober 10, 2016
A typical day is most likely to be the same as before and a foretaste of the day after. Pressurized, extremely busy, but mostly repetitive. Co-workers are good but, like you, under their own pressures. Management have quotas to meet, which puts all under even greater pressure. People who initially discuss or then go on to meet clients are, amazingly, unpaid volunteers. They are the backbone of the VS organization.
Pros
Good employee benefits
Cons
Out of hours meetings
Nice place to work
Service Delivery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire and HumbersideOctober 9, 2016
Really enjoyed working for Victim Support. Great support from management and great work life balance.

Volunteers respected and a great team. Good training in place.
Pros
flexible hours, volunteers
Cons
training venues long distances away, charity lost contracts
The truth
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  LondonAugust 23, 2016
I enjoyed the work but the management is absolutely appalling. Advancement only given to favourite members of staff. Lots of backstabbing and nothing being done my management to stop this. Management only care about statistics despite the poor computer system used. Affairs between managers and staff members is rife.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Poor management
Young Victims Project Worker, Haringey
Young Victims Project Worker (Former Employee) –  HaringeyJuly 27, 2016
In this role, no two days were ever the same. My days consisted of me meeting my clients (either in their homes, in my office, or in an outreach centre), going to partnership meetings with other agencies, preparing workshops and then going to schools to deliver workshops, arranging and attending drop-in sessions. I worked with young people between the ages of 5 and 24 and provided them support for a crime they may have experienced, or I delivered a workshop to them in a school setting.
I enjoyed this job so much. It helped a lot of children and young people to get support and provided me with some very invaluable experience.
Interesting
Volunteer support worker (Current Employee) –  HuddersfieldJuly 4, 2016
Really enjoyed volunteering for victim support, every day was a different experience, really like working closely with victims and seeing their confidence float again after certain situations they had experienced,
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Voluntary, would of been nice to secure paid work in this sector

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VICTIM SUPPORT. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4