Victory Brewing Company Employee Reviews

high turnover
Cook (Former Employee) –  Parkesburg, PAAugust 3, 2017
Management needs to get it together in the restaurants. No communication between them. Many people have been skipped on their first quarterly reviews, blown off, paid barely a livable wage. For a huge company that makes millions of dollars I really don't get that. If you get a job here be sure to advocate for yourself. don't let these people push you around.
Food Runner/Busser/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Downingtown, PAAugust 1, 2017
Learned the value of customer service. Learned a lot about beer and food and was trained very well. Coworkers were great people to work with as well as the general managers and cooks.
It was a job to get your foot in the door.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Downingtown, PAJune 27, 2017
Working for Victory Brewing Company was intense. In the world of restaurants, one knows that it is highly stressful but fun at the same time. I did enjoy working there and started as a dishwasher and moved up to a line cook.
Good employees bad management
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Downingtown, PAFebruary 7, 2017
worked for 4-5 years and was not allowed to move up because of one manager. Stopped working there due to this. very good employees there,
Awesome brewery with awesome people
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Downingtown, PANovember 10, 2016
I owe all of my craft beer knowledge to Victory. The people who work there are the best team I have ever had the experience of working with. It was mostly always busy which made the shifts go by fast. The sidework could be a bit tedious, but worth it. Great beer, great food and great people!
Pros
good money
Cons
no breaks, long shifts on feet
Aleadistt, narsistic management. a top heavy company with severely unqualified management.
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Parkesburg, PAAugust 21, 2016
The other reviews say it all. The beer industry is fun but not what a person really thinks.
The people in management positions do not have any training or education in management. They are very bias and will run you on all shifts. You will hardly see first because the chosen ones will get those shifts. Advancement is basically impossible. The pay you start out at will be basically the same until you leave. You don't get free beer or any beer while at work. The benefits are extremely expensive. Myself and one dependent was just under 400.00 a month. You can and some have been terminated for having a beer in the office after work. Way too many chiefs that blame the workers for their faults. Some Penn State grads that dwell on there education and like to keep there employees way below them unless they decide you can move up. The narsiatic, aleadistt personallities in management is the reason they have high turnover rate. If you have a family or like to make decent money with decent benefits go to another company or brewery. Victory has no respect for people and it shows through the people they allow to be management. Glad I relocated for this position just to find all this out. Hope this helps save some.
Pros
50% off beer 4 cases a month ( about 20.00 a case after discount) 50% off food for you only
Cons
Benefits are expensive, work 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Rotation changed every month at the last minute.
Outstanding culture paired with phenomenal beers is a winning combination
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Downingtown, PAOctober 21, 2015
A typical day at VBC could include any number of job options, so every day was interesting to say the least. Being qualified to work as a server/bartender/tour guide/event manager, my plate was always full of responsibilities and challenges. Within the company I learned how to work as a cooperative and positive team. That kind of mindset is innate within the entire staff and it made going to work a lot easier. Management also came to work with a gleaming attitude that spread throughout the whole team. My co-workers became family after a very short time. The entire staff knew the importance of representing VBC well and we all did a fantastic job doing so. The hardest part of the job was keeping your own stress levels down when things became a little overwhelming. With a quick break and a drink of water, that became easy to handle as well over time. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I was fortunate enough to work with and for.
Pros
Discounted beer, permanent friendships
Cons
part time only
Sounds fun...But
Brewer (Current Employee) –  Downingtown, PAApril 9, 2015
Too Political!!!!!! could be better if they listen to there employees, The retention rate is bad.... they go through alot of really good brewers
Pros
Drinking beer...
Cons
Not personal
Extemely inept managment
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Downingtown PASeptember 8, 2014
The funny thing about Victory is everyone thinks it would be the greatest place ever to work. And what you find out after a few months is that they are so top heavy with unqualified, incompetent child managers that anyone who is a decent, hard working person that wants to see the job done right is going to be shown the door eventually.
I can personally attest to these facts and have no fear of writing them here. I saw dock plates in the warehouse that would malfunction repeatedly while being told by the director of distribution to ignore it. I saw a warehouse rack collapse 3 times during the 4 years I worked there. I saw trucks that were backed in to the dock get shoved forward when being loaded because Victory would not buy wheel chocks. I submitted a list of about 30 improvements that needed to be made in the warehouse and distribution area to do our job safer and was told by the 24 year old boy manager who was in way over his head that my ideas were worthless and the cost was not worth implementing.
My personal favorite was being asked repeatedly to take out the truck overweight. His reasoning was it was done in the past, there's no reason not to continue it in the future. His official stance and I was told this word for word - the overweight fine was less than the additional cost to ship extra product. I repeatedly told him I refuse to drive the truck overweight which led to him becoming very petty with me and looking for any reason to let me go.
Now lets get to wages. Victory didn't pay anyone hourly in the warehouse; everyone was salary. Of course, you can
  more... work 50, 60 hours a week and as a salaried professional you would think you would get the courtesy of being allowed to maybe leave early some time if your work was done but that was never the case. Personally, Victory owes me almost 25000 in unpaid overtime over 4 years. It was my boy managers feeling that I could put in 40 hours by Wednesday evening but it was still necessary for me to work full days Thursday and Friday even if nothing was planned for me because we're all salary and that's what is expected of us. Except that courtesy was never extended in your favor. When I would ask him to get involved with some of the places I delivered to that would sit on me for hours before unloading he would claim that there was nothing he could do about it. So it was ok to waste hours of my time but not ok to have that time returned to me.
I can tell you this. If you are thinking that Victory is so great, I would be so lucky to have a job there, believe me and anyone else that has posted on here about the work environment. Ownership is a bunch of skunks that could care less about their workforce or their community. Those two enjoy such a reputation as being Democratic and revolutionary in today's world and stewards of the environment. Trust me, there is nothing further from the truth. They are big businessmen just like any other who are only interested in the bottom line. You would be a fool to take a job with Victory. Save yourself the feeling of looking back a few years from now and wishing you had made a better choice.
Pros
None. Whatever perks you got working there were quickly overshadowed by the poor management
Cons
Working for children who are promoted into positions they had no business even getting an interview, let alone being hired for
Large craft brewery creating nationally renown beer.
Prodution Brewer (Former Employee) –  Downingtown, PAMay 19, 2014
As a brewer at Victory I was responsible for all operations of the 50 barrel brewhouse in the Downingtown, PA facility. I learned more than I ever thought possible during my three years with the company and had the opportunity to work daily with some of the best brewers in the country. I will miss many of the people within that brewery but life dictates I must move on. I am relocating to my home state of Connecticut to be with my girlfriend and closer to family.
Pros
The opportunity to create world class beer
Cons
Very challenging hours and shift rotations
Great people, tough environment
Distribution (Former Employee) –  Downingtown, PAFebruary 16, 2014
Other reviews say it all.

Cool people.

Low pay.

Inept management.

Favoritism.
Inept Management
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Downingtown, PADecember 15, 2013
Good coworkers but top heavy and inept management team. Bottom line oriented. Need to hire industry professionals rather than desired personalities.

This is generally unsafe job. Do not get injured here. Bad track record of terminating injured employees.

Best part is getting a beer at the end of the end of the day. This has created some prevalent alcohol related problems.
Pros
Discounts and free beer
Cons
Inept and stress inducing management
Welcome to the Meat Grinder
Brewery Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Downingtown, PAJuly 11, 2013
The brewer's call Victory, brewer's training camp. You will do everything that has to do with beer production and get paid terrible doing it. Long hours, dangerous equipment that is maintained by a sub-par maintenance staff. Numerous un-safe conditions exsist with-in the old and new facilities because everyone is rushed to "just get it done." Don't expect o work there too long. They pay terrible, I was paid $13 an hour to basically run the maintenance shop. Even though management and the owners are aware of the safety hazards, they will still fire you for getting a paper cut because they don't want to spend the money on workman's comp. The most enjoyable part of the job was leaving. The brewer's are a great group of hard working individuals, but the management and owner's are a fricking joke. Management = free beer, that's all they care about. They don't care about the employee. Stay away unless you want to get a boot camp like training session to move on to bigger and better things.
Pros
free beer (off the clock)
Cons
benefits, management, food at the restaurant, owners, parking, operational logistics
Great workplace while I was in highschool.
Hostess, Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Downingtown, PAJuly 10, 2013
All of the employees had fun and worked hard. we got the whole resteraunt stocked and ready in the morning. In the evening we had to get everything cleaned up in a timely fasion. The hardest part of the job was keeping your cool and working through the busy hours when we had 2 hour waits.
Amazing enviroment
Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Downingtown, PANovember 29, 2012
The Victory Brewing staff are a fun, energetic and happy group of people to work with. The experience I had at Victory was fantastic.
Stress from Manager
Western Area Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 26, 2012
It wasn't rocket science. Management tried to make it like it was.