Vidant Health

Vidant Health Employee Reviews

Good place to work if you are not a minority
Tech (Former Employee) –  Greenville,NCSeptember 2, 2013
This hospital is one of the most offensive hospital when it comes to race and equality. If you are not Caucasian then you will not be promoted or have an opportunity to obtain employment for advance positions within the organization. I worked there for 6 years and applied for many positions within the hospital and have everything that they required but it is still never enough. But yet they can hire someone who didn't obtain their degree in that field and do not have any experience but tell me that yes I have the education but not the experience. And favoritism and "it's about who you know" should be their new job descriptions. The pay is another issue. They are very smart because they start you at the lowest wage possible then they give you a $.25- (if you lucky $.50) raise depend on your performance each year. Please, if you think that you will reach you max... then don't because there have been people who worked here for 20 plus years and have not reach their maximum pay in their positions yet.. that is sad! I was hired at another hospital in NC doing the exact same job and my wages have increase significantly to the wages I received at Pitt County Memorial Hospital.....aka Vidant.

So if you want to work here, do not apply for a job that you plan to use to get your "foot in the door" or use as a "stepping stone" because you will find yourself years later still in that same position with no chance of advancement.
Pros
discount on variety of items... (medication, cellular service, dry cleaning)
Cons
unfair treatment, management treating you as insignificant, low pay, favoritism, harder on the people who actually get their job done and don't complain, no room for advancement, cafeteria prices and food are awful
Good place to work for benefits and decent pay, management and coworkers could be better.
Food Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCSeptember 19, 2014
In my position at the Heart Center I serve (I do not cook) the food by making patients trays and placing them in a delivery cart for care partners to deliver. I also have to wash the soiled dishes and serving utensils as well as keep a clean single person kitchen. The job does not require a lot of supervision which is where i believe the negatives of the job come from. Our single person kitchens, which there are four of, are separate from the main kitchen where the management is and they do not come to visit us often. This leaves room for a lot of slack among my coworkers as well as immediate supervisors and which can be very frustrating when they decide to procrastinate and goof off. We have just switched new management companies this past July. The new managers seem friendly but their companies promise to the hospital of saving money seems to be gradually adding more work to the employees of which I am not 100% sure that some positions can handle. The job itself is fairly easy and pay is decent along with the benefits but coworkers make the job harder than it should be. There is also not many opportunities to advance within the food department, normally you would need to switch departments in order to gain a higher status but this job is a good way to get your foot in the door at the hospital.
Pros
benefits and decent pay, can lead to better opportunities within the hospital
Cons
coworkers (not just from your own department)
exciting to provide service to the new mothers and see their new born babies
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCMarch 5, 2013
Start in the diet office preparing patient listing, tray tickets, and patient menus. Deliver 2 carts containing 24 trays in each and deliver them to 3 labor/delivery floors pass out wait 1 hour go back and pick up all the trays and soil/utility room dirty trays. I repeat this for all 3 meals and in between meals deliver nutrients as needed pick up menus and enter the data into the pc along with any diet changes or diet restrictions as stated by the nurses. One day a week I worked the tray line where ever needed, or help clean dishes or carts in the dish room. I learned the process of meal delivery to the patients and be hind the scenes as to the process of preparing the food and cleaning. We had a very good management team. My co-workers were all good team players and helped each other as needed. The best part of my job was being able to serve the patients and see the excitement of them and their families along with their new born babies. The hardest part was sometimes when the nurses would forget to update the patients records and the food restrictions or allergies would not be listed on our end for it to show up on the tray ticket and the tray would be sent down with the wrong food on the tray, therefore I would not know until I delivered it and the patient would tell me at the time of delivery.
Pros
a shout out a our meetings if we were complimited by a nurse or a patient
Cons
no free lunches or meal tickets
Sodexo sucks
area tech (Current Employee) –  greenville NCApril 20, 2015
Sodexo is GARBAGE they want you do other peoples job plus yours because they won't hire anyone and nagg at you if you dont get i all done. When you are hired you get an 8 HR area and sometimes someone calls out, okay no problem but every other weekend they only have a handful of us here and expect the full crew's work.

I have worked here just under 2 years and i have had 9 different mangers. Its bad when you have to tell your boss were stuff is.

Its almost impossible to get a full time position, for as long as i have worked here i have been trying to get in a full time position so i cant recieve benefits. They put me as part time so i dont get sick, vaction time off. If i take a day off I get unexsued no pay ... I Get sick too!!!!

co workers are alright , you have to watch your back because alot will through you under the bus QUICK.

Now as far as raises go, I was just soo lucky to have started in a raise freeze soo i was locked in my pay for 1 year. When i got a raise every one did and it was $0.19 yeah you see that right 19 cent WOOHOO!!
Pros
work inside
Cons
managment
Promotes a learning environment and uses best practices
Staff/Charge nurse (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCMarch 20, 2014
A typical day at work is usually very busy with admits/discharges. Our unit works close with our social worker to insure that patient needs are met on admission and for home. We work closely together to help one another out. Our unit is small, so 1 nurse may get 2-3 admissions/discharges on her shift ,so it is imperative to work together as a team for the overall safety of the patient and proper care. The hardest part of the job is having admissions come late in the shift 530-630pm and leaving some things for the next shift to do, I personally hate not having everything set for the next nurse who will follow me. I enjoy talking with my peers and the doctors are wonderful. This is a teaching hospital so we are always getting new faces. The residents and attendings have been very helpful.
Pros
we have pizza parties, celebrate birthdays and holidays, sometimes we just bring something for no reason.
Cons
usually short breaks, sometimes just too busy to help out your fellow peers
Utilization Review Specialist
Utilization Review Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCSeptember 25, 2014
1. Review physical charts in Pre Anesthesia Care Unit for admission orders, insurance information, history and physical, operative consents. Entered into excel sheet the above information.
2. Upon returning to my desk I check the electronic chart for admission orders, history and physical.
3. Once patient arrives enter information in Utilization Review tool using Milliman Guidelines ie: arrival time, enter the CPT codes for procedures and whether procedure is a Inpatient only or is it Outpatient procedure.
4. Post operatively complete the review of patient surgery and set next review date.
If the patient does not meet inpatient criteria or has inpatient orders but does not meet criteria will then send for a second level physician review. Determinations of second level review are discussed with Attending if order change is needed.
I am a passionate patient advocate and this job allows me continue being that advocate.
The most difficult part of the job is trying to contact the Surgeons about the need to discussion determinations.
helpful and maintaining the health of everyone because they matter
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCJuly 21, 2015
During my time at this company, I have made an effort to develop my skills and experience in numerous different ways. I have matured as an individual and my experience of working with others – both colleagues and customers – has contributed a lot to my interpersonal skills. I am also better able to see the bigger picture and how my role relates to the overall goals of the organisation. Having built up a broad range of experience, I am now much more productive in my role – and much better equipped to handle unusual or difficult situations. The hardest part of the job is making sure I follow and stay current with all the guidelines Federal and Company. I have done well in retaining those guidelines with the help of very knowledgeable co-workers that are always willing to help. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I make a difference in someones life and in this huge company I am relevant and matter in my everyday task.
To many Chief not enough Indians
Emergency Room Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCOctober 5, 2013
This is a workplace that could use communication , structure as well as a Management that directs the staff on how to treat each other. The nurses look down on everyone if they are not a NURSE. I feel mistreated always. No team work as described in my JOB Description. Never have I been so stressed out at work. Work should be a place you want to come; not just to get a pay check. Work should be pleasant not frustrating always. Nurses here are lazy. They refuse to help the Unit Secretaries do anything. The call bell could go off and they wouldn't even answer it. I don't understand how anyone could be so inconsiderate of their patients. The nurses are spoiled, don't work and yell at the Unit Secretary for everything. If we all left they would look STUPID.
Cons
lazy nurses and administrative staff for the emergency room
Easy going place with lots of hard workers to do well at the work they do
Cook (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCNovember 5, 2013
Work was pleasing people were happy and helpful whenever one looked like the needed help. I learned a lot about waste management and the purpose of making sure we use less waste of food as minimal as possible. management had a good working organized pace. Hardest part a little would be when certain things run out what to use as a substitute. The company had papers you could fill out for a co worker as recognition and they get a gift or win points for gifts.
Pros
always had a questions at the end of the meetings of world things and sometimes would win prizes.
Cons
the lack of communication
Vidant Medical the place to be employed. Great pay, great management, and great opportunities to move forward.
Currently Carepartner/ pt advocate, Social Work (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 25, 2014
Vidant Medical is a great organlization. It offers great benefits, such as health and life insurances. Also offers continue education assistant program, if you want to move up in a higher position.Vidant employers shows compassion to the people they serve and to their employees.My job at Vidant has taugh me to be patient, caring and be respectful to others.My current position as a care partner, working with nurses, has taugh me to be an team player, working together to get the job accomplish, working together to meet the goal of the day. That is to take care of our patient and family to the best of our ability.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short lunch break
Caring and serving for patients, staff, and employees.
Food Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCAugust 5, 2015
Preparing nutritious meals, accommodating staff, guests, and patients, and being able to help others.
I have learned more on safety procedures and care for patients.
Management and fellow co-workers are people who help others in time of need and show genuine concern about one another.
The hardest part of the job is seeing and/or hearing about a patient that has passed on.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the positive reaction on a person's face because, we as a team, have made them happy.
Pros
Helping people, even if it isn't in my job description.
Cons
The high number of people, who needs medical attention for a long period of time.
Vidant Medical is a place of excellent working with patient hands on.
Clinical Laboratory Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCJuly 29, 2014
A typical day on this job is to communicate with all cultures of people and help them to get the right service needed on a daily basis. Everyday there are new things to be learned in the medical field. I work along well with my co-workers as a team leader. One of the most important part of my job is meeting new patients and helping them in any way that I can. I don't find any part of my job difficult because I like working with the public.
Pros
vidant help with employess make a decision in going back to school to help balance their careers.
Cons
short breaks
A supportive environment that enhances self performance
Clinical Nurse I (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 7, 2014
Nurse on a med/surg floor for 12 hr shift. Active in unit meeting, learning opportunities. Floated to different floors when needed. Learned how to be comfortable and efficient in the hospital setting serving patients and families with a multidisciplinary approach to care. Great environment to work in with supportive management and co-workers. Hardest part of the job was being challenged every minute to change care according to patient needs and status. Most enjoyable part is accomplishing that adaptation required to meet the ever changing needs in a medical setting.
Pros
health insurance, 401k, paid holidays
Cons
long shifts
Fun working environment where work is not dreadful
Patient Counselor (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCJune 14, 2015
I arrive, clock-in, greet my co-workers and my day begins. I learned the Epic system quickly and management is available if any questions arise. I love my co-workers, they are friendly and there is I have a problem. Hardest part of the job would be when I cannot help a customer with their issues as sometimes they just need a person to listen to them. The most enjoyable part is when you can hear the burden of financial stress lifted when a patient gets financial assistance.
Pros
Management and co-workers
Cons
30 minute lunch instead of hour lunch, not much time to eat.
Slow Business Changes
Human Resources Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCAugust 22, 2014
I have enjoyed working at Vidant and have learned many things. Healthcare is going through forced change to find ways to improve and go lean. This makes the environment some what stressful because you can feel the stress from upper management and even middle management. I was not micro managed by any means but I believe the culture was just to up tight for my liking. The most enjoyable part of my job was having the freedom to take on special projects and develop my own technological solutions to improve processes for different departments.
Great place to work. Seeing lives saved everyday!
Supply Clerk (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 30, 2015
Working at Vidant Medical Center has opened me up to many different and life changing experiences. My co-workers are a close knit, family type group of people. The hardest part of my job is the toll it takes on my body but I love meeting new patients everyday. I enjoy the different types of personalities I see on a daily basis. A normal day at work for me is 8 hours of constant moving. With this job I have learned to go with the flow and strive to do what is necessary to get the job done.
Having company parties
Linen Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCAugust 30, 2015
A typical work day is delivering scrubs to the pixy machines fro surgery and delivery linen to hospital storage's.
I learned to stock my linen enough so that I only have to make one trip to a certain area a day.
Management was very understanding to my needs.
My co-workers were quiet.
The hardest part was another employee from the night before not doing their job and having to do theirs and mine.
The most enjoyable part was meeting doctors, RN's and patient's throughout the hospital.
Pros
Discounted meals, down time to do school work
Cons
Completing other employees unfinished work, short on linen
Good lace to work with many opportunities
Internship (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJuly 7, 2013
My day to day activities included filing, scanning, answering phone, transferring calls, and running errands within the facility. I had a great exposure to what I learned in the classroom. I learned how to work with people of different characters, and most importantly good customer relations. The staff gave me a warm welcome and were always there to help when I needed them. The hardest part of the job was spending lots of time looking for charts.
The fun part was the satisfaction gained when a lost chart is found
Pros
appreciations and free lunch
Cons
high volume of work
Growth within myself.
Clinical Support Tech ll (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCAugust 21, 2013
I left Dayton, OH, to relocate and to reestablish myself in a different job field since leaving GM.

I felt I would do better in dealing with individuals as opposed to automation. It was a good decision, as I love working with people, and I like knowing that what I am doing or have done by the end of my work day that I have done something that has helped someone....that is so rewarding to me.
Pros
the ability to help others.
Cons
there are none that i can think of at this time.
The first four year working at Vidant was pleasant. The last four years deteriating.
Nursing Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Ayden, NCFebruary 1, 2015
A typical day is normally great. Things I have learn working with patients, family, and co-worker is patience. Throughout my career co-workers have been very helpful and tend to apply teamwork. The hardest part of my job is putting a decease patient in a body bag. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing a patient improve with their health, and able to go home.
Pros
working every other weekend
Cons
short breaks, and attending staff meeting after pulling twelve hours.