Village Pantry Employee Reviews in United States

Village Pantry
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Elwood, INJune 17, 2016
In charge of all operations, enjoyed staying busy, customer service,managing others,stocking and administrative work. Quality of life was poor,many hours and frustrations with operations. Communication with management very poor
Pros
flexibility from day to day in what I did
Cons
quality of liffe
Good Place to Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INMay 23, 2016
A lot of the customers that came in were daily regulars and it was nice to get to know them and be able to interact with them.
Unstable management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peru, INMay 18, 2016
Short time of employment I had 3 managers. First manager understood I had another job and was willing to work with me and my other schedule. Other managers did not. Employees had a power struggle to fill in for lack of management.
Pros
Customers friendly, great fresh deli foods
Cons
Old store in need of remodel
Bad Management
Cashier, stock (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMay 9, 2016
I worked 3rd shirt. I deserved 1st shirt but Manager hired in her friend and kept me on 3rd shift. Lazy manager that sat in her office all the time on the phone.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
Low wages and bad management.
nice clean work environment
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Clinton, ILMay 9, 2016
nice clean work environment. good friendly staff. good work hours. monitored bus. classroom assistant. good pay. clean area. cleaned bus. good with children.
Good co-workers and management.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 23, 2016
I enjoyed my time with Village Pantry. I had good co-workers and supervisors, but I felt the pay was low and that the upper-management didn`t care about their employees.
Pros
Good co-workers and managers.
Cons
Low pay and bad uppper-management.
a fast paced work environment.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INApril 21, 2016
Working at Village Pantry gave the freedom to work by myself with little or no supervision which taught me to be self resilient to get the job done.
Village Pantry Awesome
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, IN 47401April 2, 2016
A typical day at work was long but very easy, but I learned how to manage my time throughout the day. The management was wonderful very respectful,as well as my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was when I first started then things got easier and i enjoyed the customers that came in.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Stonington, ILFebruary 5, 2016
I would go into work every morning. Fill out paper work. Make Lunch for customers, deal with vendors. Every Sunday I will do inventory make sure its submitted to the computer. Every Friday I will do my store order. During the week I also break down fryer, oven and freezer.
Pros
close to home
Cons
minimum pay
Service Station
Service Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Anthony, INFebruary 4, 2016
Village Pantry is a service station that offers full and part time employment. The pay is minimum wage and the job is relatively easy. The job requires you to provide friendly customer service, some cleaning, and shelf stocking.
Secure Employment Opportunity
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 28, 2016
During my years of employment years with Village Pantry I was able to develop into the job candidate I am today. I appreciated the opportunity to learn and grow with the company since I began my career as a cashier and advanced to district manager. Due to the large variety of challenges presented from day to day, employment with Village Pantry remained interesting throughout my career.
Good for a minimum wage job with no career options
Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INNovember 12, 2015
The company likes to keep secrets and advancement is tough they prefer to hire out rather than promote up past assistant manager. Typical day involves running register stocking and cleaning.
Pros
Free pop
Cons
Difficult to advance, taking hours as punishment
Upper level management was impossible to work with
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Beech Grove, INOctober 14, 2015
I loved working with the customers however I was never given proper training. I was asked to do things that broke company policy and sometimes even the law. I couldn't keep doing it and be happy with myself so I finally just left.
Job to Work Balance
Store Manager In Training (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 9, 2015
I don't think my low rating is so much the companies fault, Convenience stores are not an easy business model to run. However when you compare the amount of work put into it to the amount of benefits and compensation, you tend to find your self wanting, and missing your family. Advancement is like pulling teeth, and when you are watching a company constantly be behind, then there is always a scramble to catch up. This drains the fun out of a Job Culture.
Pros
Free Soda
Cons
No Breaks, Having to work your self when Employees call off.
Great customers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INSeptember 10, 2015
The first thing to do when coming into work was to count the til and make sure the right amount was in the drawer before the start of the shift. Then there was the daily paperwork that had to be filled out at the start and end of the shift. I would cash out customers as they came and went. I had side duties such as making donuts, fresh coffee, fresh sandwiches, cleaning and stocking. I learned how to use my time efficiently to get everything that I needed to do done. Sometimes the nights would get busy and it would be very difficult to get all the work done. Management had a lot of other things to tend to so the training was minimal. I had to learn a lot of things on my own. I mostly enjoyed helping the customers. Some of the regulars would not stop in unless they seen my vehicle outside and they would always complement my donuts and how nice the store looked.
working with the public and co-workers on a day to day basic
Manager/Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INAugust 31, 2015
I enjoy working the front end as well as the back end of the business.
You never knew what the day would bring but I left with new learning tools everyday. There was always a hump to get over but the managment team was always there to support me and my co-workers.
Pros
working in a clean and friendly place
Cons
The public sometimes was hard to get along with but keeping upbeat was the way to go.
A day as assistant manager
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  mattis ave.August 24, 2015
I would open the store 6 days a week so I would be responsible for getting the store cleaned up and change gas prices, stock, count drawers, paperwork, fill atm, turn the lights on, unlock all the doors and then take customers while doing other tasks like ordering cigarettes and tobacco products and taking inventory. Most of the time I would be the only one in the store till 11 am.
What I learned
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INAugust 20, 2015
At Village pantry I learned the value of time management and balancing work and home. I learned how to couch employees into being better employees.
negative environment
hot foods manager (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMay 19, 2015
a typical day at work involves working circles around the assistant manager playing on her phone. finish cleaning up the prior shifts work. your complaints will fall on deaf ears with the manager. she doesn't enjoy doing the disciplining and making sure rules are enforced. she would rather fake it till she makes it I guess. the disrespect and the talking behind peoples backs is very childish, I find it to be kind of high school drama. I don't enjoy working here anymore
Pros
flexible schedule and VERY leniant
Cons
always picking up slack of others while others still get paid
Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMay 13, 2015
Employees at the job complained more about the other employees instead of doing their job. Management lacked in providing a better workplace.