Village Pantry Employee Reviews

Easy place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INMay 1, 2017
A typical day at Village Pantry would consist of me scanning and bagging items. Stocking shelves. Assisting customers with any questions, comments, or concerns they may have.
Pros
Fast shifts
Cons
Not enough hours
mostly laid back
Cashier/ kitchen (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INApril 28, 2017
The manager didn't set many rules or regulations which created a sense of freedom at work. It seemed more like a retreat from a stressful life because it was laid back and the employees were easy to get along with.
Cons
Barely had breaks when busy
a place to meet unusual people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 27, 2017
If you are a person that like to interact with people of all kinds, then this is the place. The day to day work consist of working both behind the register and on the store floor.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
no free fountin drings
Horrible
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INApril 18, 2017
The District Manager only cared about the stores that showed investments rather than the store than needed time being invested within it. GPM, the company that bought out Village Pantry, refuses to put money into the company unless the store is profitable but the store can not be profitable if it looks like a dump on the outside.
Pros
The staff is amazing and worked long hard hours when needed
Cons
No family time
Low safety
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INApril 10, 2017
If you dont work 1st shift. Your safety doesnt matter to them til the next day. Store has been robbed multiple times and they dont change the security
Pros
Friendly customers
Cons
No breaks
Best job ive ever had.
Cashier maintenance (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis IndianaMarch 27, 2017
By far the most fulfilling job I've had before. It's open for advancement pay increases or fair and the work is consistent. Quite possibly one of the better jobs I've had in a long long time.
Work Day
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  New Castle, INMarch 21, 2017
Had to keep track of all the inventory in order to assure that there was no thefts going on throughout each of the shifts. Hardest part of the day was to keep everything stocked on the shelves while running the store.
I loved the work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INFebruary 27, 2017
I enjoyed the mix of job tasks. The customers made the day with the smiles and satisfaction of their visit to the store. I had a great crew that worked for me. I was not a big fan of the lack of upper management support.
Sweatshop
Register Operator, 3rd Shift (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INFebruary 25, 2017
A cold place to work. Employees are underpaid and expected to do everything in a thankless manner.

Working 3rd shift is actually a dangerous job and employers did not warn of such. Little support for staff is given.
Pros
You get paid when you work.
Cons
Minimal pay, employees are more like slaves
Good job for taking responsibility on your own
Cashier - Gas station attendant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIFebruary 19, 2017
Always on your feet, running around getting things done. This job has helped with communication with the customers and how to handle difficult situations.
Pros
think on your own
Cons
healthcare
Great
associate - village Pantry (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INJanuary 30, 2017
Great place except for rude customers. I had occassional problems with other staff members occassionally but loved the daily interactions with my regular customers
Double standards
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Russells, OHJanuary 28, 2017
what is expected of you and what can be done are not taken into consideration

as a manager you work 60-80 hours a week

some managers get way with things and others don't (double standards)

there is NO reward for what a manager does
Lots of hard work
Deli Prep (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INJanuary 22, 2017
I enjoyed working for this company. Not enough hours. Enjoy the management staff.
All tools were available for shifts, just no enough work hours.

Wanted to learn different areas to be able to increase hours.
Pros
Good food and co-workers
Cons
short shifts
Scattered and confused
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 20, 2017
This company has many great Idea's on how a company should work, but it lacks the infrastructure to complete its lofty goals. In theory since being bought by GPM investments this should fix some of those problems. My day consisted of coming in, checking all the details of Operations from the night before. Quickly move forward into the next days operations, handle money drops and budget. Make sure all the floor inventory and production was done for the day. The Management carried a lot, however they were stretched to thin. The Hardest part of the job was recruiting and hiring. This was do the fact that the demography and the job paying was so low. I enjoyed the people I did work with and the people who could work with it.
Pros
Free Soda, Good Customer Interactions
Cons
No breaks, 70 hour work weeks on Salary, heath benefits were bad.
Many opportunities for advancement for hard workers.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Degraff, OhJanuary 19, 2017
A solid company that is constantly evolving. It's a challenge to find a work-life balance sometimes with needing to work 60 hours occasionally. This can be problematic when you are a salaried employee. But overall it provided me with great sales experience and opportunities to advance.
Good at getting customers what they need
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Degraff ohJanuary 9, 2017
Was a good enviroment, easy work and have to be very social because of all the customers. Prices on some things were high, had alot of deals on drinks and snacks which the customers loved.
Pros
My breaks were in between customers
Cons
Worked alone at night, no benefits
Great Customer Relationships/Feedback, Great Employee Team, No Benefits
Crew Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 28, 2016
I liked the job overall. I built many great relationships with both coworkers and customers. The work isn't too demanding but it will be back and forth between very fast paced/congested, and very slow. I learned quite a bit about customer satisfaction and adapting to different types of customers. I gained experience with working under pressure and under staffed. Patience is a wonderful attribute to attain. I can't speak for every village pantry, but the GM and the new manager didn't do their jobs very well if at all. But overall, it's a nice place to grow.
Pros
Coworkers, Customers, Flexible Hours, Simple Tasks
Cons
Can be very demanding, busy; May have rude customers; May have team members that don't do job and show up late every day
Fun community based place to work at
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairmount, INDecember 22, 2016
Great place to work at. Friendly customers and a great community. Not enough people working there, and job security is not the greatest. If the company took care of its employees as much as some of the employees take care of them, the store would be in better standings.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Not enough reliable employees
fun
Deli/Bakery Associate (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 17, 2016
fun and enjoyable work co workers easy to get a long with. make donuts and deli sandwiches and salads. easy enjoyable work, Hours are great do not deal with customers
Sales Clerk, cook
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INNovember 30, 2016
Since I worked midnights and worked on Ball State campus, i was able to interact with students and give them word of advice on their classes, and may sure that they had a wonderful school year. I made breakfast for the next day, and stock shelves with the necessary products.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Village Pantry. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9