Vinnell Arabia

Vinnell Arabia Employer Reviews

Senior Trainer (Former Employee), Saudi ArabiaJuly 12, 2014
Pros: living conditions
Cons: the distance form my family.
This company is very productive in training soldiers. I have learned about a few other cultures. The co-workers that I had were professional. The most enjoyable thing about the job was meeting new people along with the close-nit of our section.
Typical Day
Principle Trainer (Current Employee), Saudi ArabiaJune 5, 2014
Pros: money
Cons: being away from family
start 530 am end 3pm
sun-thur friday and saturday off
driving in the kingdom is crazy but you get used to
shopping is 50/50 there are certain stores only for family (since being married and spouse not w/me i am considered by the kingdom to be a single male)
people that work here most are retired military so we are laid back
Saudi Citizens are friendly
SSO Officer (Former Employee), Saudi ArabiaOctober 23, 2013
Pros: cultural experiences
Cons: pay
Company provided fullsupport and assistance with relocation and adjustments. Trainging was minimal, however they only hire experienced proffessionals
Zero chance for advancement, retired officers think they are still active duty.
Senior Doctrine Developer (Former Employee), Riyadh, Saudi ArabiaOctober 16, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: housing, leadership, very strict limitations on your freedom, did i mention housing???
Most unrewarding job I ever had. Worked with some really great people and those that were complete and total idiots. I would not recommend this place on my worst enemy.
Control Ananlyst
Control Analyst (Current Employee), Riyadh, S01June 10, 2014
Work 9 hour days. Always continuing to learn how to drive in this country. Look it up on You Tube!
Working at Riyadh
Senior Trainer, LAV 25 (Former Employee), RiyadhMarch 19, 2013
Great work environment if your just getting out of the mliltary and transitioning. Peers and leaders willing to help as needed. I enjoyed my stay at the ROC. The company tells you exactly what to expect. So no surprises.. Good hub if you like to travel.

March 28, 2013

You are obviously not a Senior Trainer in LAV-25. I know all of them and none would be silly enough to write that piece of Propaganda. If the company told you exactly what to expect we wouldn't be seeing changes on a weekly basis to what we are doing right now. It is better to be upfront and honest about what is happening than have someone take a position just to leave less than 90 days after they arrive because they were lied to. Here is the truth: If you can put up with working with people that can't understand they are no longer in the Military and you need a pay check, it's not a bad place to work. I've seen worse. Yes, it has lower pay than most other contractors and yes they will do everything they can to keep you from getting overtime, apparently Manager bonuses are partially based on how much overtime they save so they pad the books requesting more than they need and then don't allow anyone to use it even though it would be justified. I'd rather you know the truth than come and then leave because you were lied to.

The Truth
Security (Former Employee), RiyadhMarch 16, 2013
Pros: stable
Cons: 12 hour days
If you need money, go for it. But if you need a career, this is not the place. The company will hire almost anyone and will not get rid of that person just to keep numbers high even if the person is of the lowest quality. To move up in management, you must be able to look the other way when work is not being done by the Saudi Workers and American workers as well. Departments who have stations in the Jeddah and Khobar areas misuse employees by making good workers stay in Riyadh with the madness and rotate the bad workers out to the Jeddah and Khobar where life is good. Don't aspect career counseling, you will not get it or have moral meetings on how the staff is. Maybe a walk by Q and A in a blue moon. Promotions are done by boards but there is a lack of information on how to prepare yourself if any. Most areas of technical proficiency is for show and has no real relevance as it relates to day to day work activities. Ethics are broken on a daily bases so do what you have to but don't bring home the bull you learn. Do what you have to feed the family but, leave it and unlearn it when it is time to come home. Cover the bills and get out before you become part of the process.
Good experience
Principal Security Officer (Former Employee), Riyadh, S01March 7, 2013
Overseas pay is good if tax free. Good for a single person, hard to be away from the family.
Don't work here. Any positive post is propoganda!
Senior Trainer (Former Employee), Riyadh, Saudi ArabiaJuly 15, 2012
Pros: most lower employees are nice
Cons: see below
Vinnell Arabia (VA) is a front company that is owned by Northrop Grumman. They provide services and training for the Saudi Arabia National Guard (SANG) under the direction of the US Army, Office of Program Manager (OPM SANG).
First off, the company is only concerned with filling the contract requirements and filling slots. If they have vacant slots, they don’t get paid. The senior leader is a retired Army 3 star general who acts like he is still in command of an army corps. They treat you like you are in the army; you wear an ugly, outdated tan army uniform and must adhere to military grooming standards. The work week is 45 hours, 9 hours a day from 5:30 am until 2:30 pm. Some divisions start later, it just depends.
Most leaders are very ineffective and have only past military experience to rely upon. Again, they still think this is the military. The company is so cheap; they not only make you provide your own boots, but the have the lowest base salary for contractors in the entire country. They ask people to “suck it up” and pitch in or volunteer instead of getting corporate to pitch in. I am sorry, but in the real world, your employer shouldn’t be asking for volunteers to beautify the area and in one case, they even required the employers to pick up trash all around the compound.
In June, 2012, the entire company moved its employees off a Western compound that had several swimming pools, a gym, tennis courts, racquetball courts, etc. and was comprised of 2 and 3 bedroom villas. They were old but at least you had some escape from this nasty, oppressive country. Now, they moved – more... everyone into apartments on Camp Vinnell – the same place many people work. It is owned by the SANG and is the same dump that was bombed in 2003 that killed 9 people and injured dozens more. The security situation here is just as bad. They are ripe to get bombed again. The “apartments” are shared, 2 bedroom and they are smaller than most dorm rooms. The quality is 3rd world country and most things don’t work right. The kitchen is so small, the sink isn’t large enough to wash a fry pan without spilling water everywhere and the oven is so small we called it an “Easy Bake.” Also, they don’t use "p" traps here so sewer gas emits from everywhere and you get to smell everyone else’s excrement all the time. Also, they moved us in at least 6 months before they were ready. The cable and internet are still not working and won’t be ready for several months. The security office isn’t even completed and the dining facility is barley operating. They promised a temporary gym and the new gym won’t be ready until late fall. I don’t know if they will ever get good equipment. What they have now is worse and less than you would find at a garage sale and actually dangerous!
Finally, they certainly have the “good old boy system” here and certain people get certain perks. They use this for promotion boards, vehicles and other perks like your own room, villa, etc. The SANG doesn’t want to learn – or posses the capacity. They have had this same contract for over 30 years and made almost no progress. The only thing they succeeded at was spending billions of dollars for nothing. – less
We are provided with camp & amenities like recreation facilities
Supervisor, Technical Support Branch (Former Employee), Riyadh, S01July 5, 2012
Pros: free food and lodging
Cons: far from home in the philippines
Management tends to consult me in any technical aspects of operation of the installation.
Coaching and Mentoring
Chief Trainer (Current Employee), Riyadh, Saudi ArabiaMay 3, 2012
Pros: tax free income
Cons: healthcare
Training the Saudi Army National Guard Officers at the Allied Science Military School. Dealing with the culture has been an eye opening experience. The hardest part of the job is being away from home, United States.

Vinnell Arabia Photos