Virgin America Employee Reviews

Great brand, great perks, free to fly, positive people
Operations Agent (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 1, 2014
The shifts depend on flight schedule and city you are working from. Generally if you are working guest services you work a opening or closing shift. Either starting around 5am or starting around 1pm. Depending on the shift you get you may be working 4 ten hour shifts or 5 eight hour shifts.

It's a environment that is great when there are not flight delays. If there are flight delays it becomes very difficult as the flying guests have appointments etc and are not happy to deal with.

With Virgin America headquarters based in San Francisco we have delays all the time due to low visibility "fog" probably 4 out of 7 days a week on average and thats low balling it. Usually when there are delays guests want precise information and you give them the best information you have but they are extremely angry and not easy to deal with and there is never management present as they are usually trying to stay away from the chaos.

There are many perks such as flight benefits which means flying free most places, unfortunately the pay is terrible so hardly anyone has any money to fly anywhere. If the company does well makes a small profit they tend to give back to the employees which is really nice. Most companies do not do this.
Pros
free flights, progressive company, bright future
Cons
terrible pay, terrible direct leadership
don't buy into the hype
Guest Services Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 2, 2015
Sadly this start up is going down hill due to lack of sufficient management, unfair work practices and poor compensation.

They look good on paper and seem 'cool' but if most people knew how they treat employees and the BS they try to convince us of, you may not think they are the greatest airline.

They have some great ideas/concepts and many good people (including some in leadership) but every time you turn around things change and what they said or promised one day can change the next.

As others have said- depending on who you know, who you are or if you are liked you can be treated well and move up. If not you are screwed. Which is sad because there are many competent people that deserve positions that others should have never been promoted to.

Lastly- from day one they brag about their 'open door' policy to feel free to communicate with leadership all the way to the top- but this is false. You will not be given the time of day. They also state from the beginning that they promote from within and encourage and support professional growth- FALSE.

Unless significant leadership changes are made, this company will lose the best people and be left with the undesirables.
Pros
some of the people you work with are fun, their branding is cool and trendy
Cons
compensation, opportunities for growth, fair treatment, respect from leadership
Needs some major re-structuring
Maintenance Planner (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CAJuly 14, 2014
I worked for Virgin America for a little over a year. When I was first hired it was a dream come true. Then the politics began. There is one specific person that makes everyone miserable and no matter how many complaints are filed, nothing seems to happen. The department has lost over half of it's people twice in the last two years, and a large part of it is because of one person and their inability to work well with others.

Management stays distant. Generally they enable one person with all of the power and that person makes changes as they see fit, regardless of how it affects the whole team. It is heavily heavily micro-managed. The daily schedule is broken down into 5 minute increments, which is beyond absurd.

The cost of living in the area is ludicrous. Even with top pay in this department, you are living just above the poverty level. It is the most expensive area on the planet statistically. That is not a comment but a fact.

Heavily consider a position here.
Pros
there are some really good people here. engineering has many of them.
Cons
the turnover, the drama, the management in my department, the cost of living, the opportunity, the high school mentality of most of the people there, the politics of senior leadership, the heavy workload put on certain departments, the company focus at times, the list goes on...
DONT be a COMPLETE DUMMY...
San Francisco Agent (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 8, 2013
if your young and simple minded and just want to travel then yes .. this is the ideal place to start off. this company lacks moral and if your not a "favorite" you will likely be forced out by unfair treatment and favoritism. yet every job has favoritism, so you have to find your balance.. either you kiss butt to keep your job, or you try to stay under the radar so they wont bother you.. but that doesn't last long either. They will find a way to trap you into a web of lies to use it against you so you can be set up to get fired or easily give up the Meri-go-round ride and quit. don't expect promotion if your African American because it's a true rare thing for them for promote or set greater equal opportunities if your a Person of African American Descent. If you knew the internal statics you would understand that they do the true bare minimum just to meet their affirmative action quota. Also they favor those who belong to the homosexual community so that's how they cover up any discrimination is they favor a homosexual candidate as oppose to a heterosexual candidate to "prove" they don't discriminate but that's a bunch of lies
Pros
free travel
Cons
favoritism, racism, sexism
Line maintenace
Graveyard shift Line Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles CADecember 8, 2013
A typical day at work involved overnight line maintenance at night-shift, troubleshooting in all systems, clear all MEL open, avionics cards and completing work card jobs deferred from B checks pending,. About 3-4 days a week, I would work on the day-shift performing transit checks and fixing fault lines at the request of my night-shift manager. The hardest part of the job was to deliver the airworthy aircraft on time when given only a short time to perform maintenance, but I am used to the pressure and I frequently managed to do so. I got along with along well with my co-workers and I was always available to give a helping hand and teach new mechanics after finishing my assignments. I also enjoyed learning new things from a more experienced mechanics. The best part of my job was the feeling of satisfaction after all assigned aircraft were fixed and airworthy before departure time.
Pros
job security, overtime
Cons
no appreciation for the work or consideration for the worker
Five Stars!! Best place to work in the Bay Area, Great People too!
Executive Admin/Reception for start-up airline (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CAApril 24, 2015
Virgin America was a great place to work and if I had to do it over again I would have stayed there. The management was the best overall I've ever worked with. At the end of the day you felt you contributed to the team. Everyone worked together. The goal was to get certified by the FFA and that happened just after I left. I helped move the business from one facility to another. Once settled, everything fell into place and the rest is history! Virgin America has such a great reputation and it's because HR knows what they're doing when they choose their hires! I know because I used to go through all of those job applications. Thanks Virgin America!! Best of Luck now and in the future.
The only good thing is the ping pong table
Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Farmers Branch, TXJuly 23, 2014
While becoming a great multi-tasker and efficient in reservation programs like Sabre, I learned alot at Virgin America. But, the hours were terrible for example, they switched my hours when I was in school and I had to fight my hardest to get my hours back. The phones would also ring non-stop with rude customers prepared to curse you out because someone else messed up their reservation. We also had to deal with travel agents that had no clue as in what to do. I learned that you have to prepare to be ready for bad outcomes and also money isn't every and stay in school. The only plus was that the co-workers and mangers were real nice.
Pros
nice people
Cons
short breks, terrible hours, uncomfortable work enviroment
A fun company with a family feeling
In-Flight Team Leader (Lead Attendant) (Current Employee) –  Burlingame, CADecember 2, 2012
Days involve working 4-day trips consisting of transcon flights. Being diligent in maintaining FAA regulations while offering outstanding guest care. Co-workers are a "family" and we all treat each other with care and respect. In addition, the management is supportive of those employees in the field and on the line. The company is fairly new and has growing pains, as expected. Even though the job is fun and offers benefit of travel and the social aspect, this is a position that leave little to no room to advancement or decent salary potential.
Pros
great benefits and incredibly fun.
Cons
unsatisafactory earning potential; does not allow for keeping abreast of office skills.
Exiting places to travel with great benefits and team building culture
In-Flight Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CADecember 27, 2012
Virgin was a great place to hone into your service, multi tasking, and customer service abilities. The opportunity to grow within the company afforded career advancement. Service and safety being the primary focus allowed for targeted training in life saving and security techniques. The Virgin culture shaped the internal structure of teammate and guest interactions. I am grateful for my experiences at Virgin America.
Pros
career advancement opportunities, fun and enthusiastic spirit of company culture, and ability to fine tune skills in fast paced environment.
Cons
none to state.
A people-orientated position with a company that is willing to allow for growth and on the job learning.
In-flight Teammate (Current Employee) –  Burlingame, CAAugust 27, 2012
My work changes on a daily basis, no flight or guest is ever the same, The constant change allows for an exciting position that rarely allows for me to become bored with the mundane. This does not mean I could not handled a 9-5 job that had a bit more consistency to it. I would actually love the challenge of long term tasks or projects that need to be time managed. I am looking to expand my education through a post graduate program and I believe a job that allows for two feet on the ground would allow for me to find a program that works better than a job at 35,000 feet.
Greeting and assisting airline guests in a polite and courteous manner
Guest Service Teammate (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 10, 2014
• Greeting and assisting airline guests in a polite and courteous manner
• Checking in guests at the airport and assisting them through the ticketing and reservation procedure
• Baggage qualified and able to assist passengers with baggage inquiries
• Helping guests rebook and resolving guest issues
• Boarding and deplaning of the aircraft
• Jet bridge qualified
• Assisting fellow teammates for a smooth and safe operation
• Upholding the standards set by the company
Pros
flight and health benefits
Cons
mando overtime and odd hours of operation
Great starting vision, slowly chiseled away by legacy management
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Burlingame, CADecember 27, 2012
If you asked me two years ago what I thought about Virgin America, I would have told you it's the next best thing since sliced bread. One year on I would have said, with the senior leadership turnover so high for such a progressive company, whats going on and wait -n- see. Now I'm left wondering how long this will last.

The team mates you interface with are the best around.

No strong chain of command and limited Supervisor titles, Manger is the new Supervisor, Director is the new VP and VP is now SVP.
Pros
fun people
Cons
no such thing as a normal work day
Happy people are a lot more fun to be around and consequently.
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 7, 2013
A list that ranks in priority of the task's to complete with a time scale added to act as motivation ,with appropriate rest periods built in to help stimulate you for other task's.

Where ever you work, be Honest.

Management in all business and organizational activities is the act of getting people together to accomplish desired goals and objectives using available resources efficiently and effectively.

Team work

To say No, the word No should never come.

work with Passion n Smile.
Pros
reading books
Cons
no regular exercise
Fun Workplace
Guest Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 18, 2015
A typical day includes checking guests in at the ticket counter, lobby hosting, assisting with ticketing issues, meeting inbound aircrafts, boarding guests, and monitoring the operations of inbound and outbound flights. The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting and interacting with guests from all over the world.
Pros
meeting travelers and flight benefits
Cons
fast paced environment where you are standing your feet all day
fun work place great benefits just gotta deal with alot of bs from suoervisor
Guest Service Executive (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 9, 2012
I liked working for virgin it was alot of fun. I loved fying on their planes and visiting headquarters. Unfortunately the day to day mangement does not live by the Virgin lifestyle the manager and the supervisors lack professionalism and there was alot of favortism.
Pros
flying and great team members
Cons
mangement lack of professionalism
A very hard place to work.
Technician Line Maintenance (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Ca.October 26, 2013
The aircraft mechanic job here is a hard place to work,due to the poor planning of the work load of aircraft work.10 hr shift on graveyard you will work all 10 hrs with no breaks or lunch breaks typically during the shift. Very high turn-over of mechanics quitting because of this.Management very poor,they do not back up there employees.
Pros
flight benefits.
Cons
average pay for hard work.
new experience new beginning
Reservation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Farmers Branch, TXAugust 2, 2014
i, myself has a everyday schedule i adhere to everyday in order to ensure a successful day. Ive learned there is no I in teamwork, and every is an asset to the company one way or another. Challenging part of being a reservation specalist is the consist change everyday its something different. Enjoyable part, flexible scheduling
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
everyday changes
Culture is great but need more $$$
Inflight Team Member (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 18, 2016
One of the lowest paid airlines for flight attendants. Just voted in union so this could change in the future. Virgin has a fun culture. I love my coworkers but management/supervisors don't always uphold Virgin values or keep in line with Richard Branson's vision.
Pros
Flexible schedule, fun work environment
Cons
not enough pay, contradictory management communications
Fun place to work
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 23, 2013
I'm given the freedom and trust to do my job. The majority of employees do not have an airline background. Working with them can be both enlightening and frustrating. They challenge me to consider things a legacy carrier would do. The frustrating part is they don't understand industry standards and limitations.
Pros
fun
Cons
it's a start-up company. experiencing growning pains.

Comment – April 13, 2013

It would be very frustrating to run an airline when majority of the employees do not have much seasonings. I have applied almost every time whenever there is an openings. Unfortunately, I have never heard anything back from the company. Not sure if that the reason is because I have years of experience in the industry? What is the best way to at least land myself an interview? I am currently employed with one of your partners airline, in fact, one of our former director now became the VP of Airport Services. Hopefully these connections would be a positive advantage.

This is a great place to work, Great respect for each other. Very unique culture
National Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2015
Virgin America is a wonderful place to work. The culture is amazing! The Senior leadership is awesome. They have great respect for all teammates
Pros
health club, lunches for key accomplishments, 401k, profit sharing
Cons
sfo based, very high cost of living