Virgin America

Virgin America Employer Reviews

Worst company ever
Virgin America (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 17, 2014
Management does not listen to the employees, they are only concerned about stake holders and what the executives can get out of the company. They do not promote from within the company, no matter how much education or on the job training you have.
Great brand, great perks, free to fly, positive people
Operations Agent (Current Employee), Seattle, WADecember 1, 2014
Pros: free flights, progressive company, bright future
Cons: terrible pay, terrible direct leadership
The shifts depend on flight schedule and city you are working from. Generally if you are working guest services you work a opening or closing shift. Either starting around 5am or starting around 1pm. Depending on the shift you get you may be working 4 ten hour shifts or 5 eight hour shifts.

It's a environment that is great when there are not flight – more... delays. If there are flight delays it becomes very difficult as the flying guests have appointments etc and are not happy to deal with.

With Virgin America headquarters based in San Francisco we have delays all the time due to low visibility "fog" probably 4 out of 7 days a week on average and thats low balling it. Usually when there are delays guests want precise information and you give them the best information you have but they are extremely angry and not easy to deal with and there is never management present as they are usually trying to stay away from the chaos.

There are many perks such as flight benefits which means flying free most places, unfortunately the pay is terrible so hardly anyone has any money to fly anywhere. If the company does well makes a small profit they tend to give back to the employees which is really nice. Most companies do not do this. – less
Great Company
Guest Services Team Member and Lead (Current Employee), San Francisco Bay Area, CANovember 8, 2014
The company culture and people are outstanding. Virgin America is an innovative, fun company to work for.
great place to find advancement
Reservationist (Current Employee), Farmers Branch TxNovember 7, 2014
Virgin America is a nice company to work for. Good benefits, nice flights, and fun people to talk to
Fun place
QA (Current Employee), CANovember 5, 2014
The company is great, the people are fantastic. Great place to work
was over this job before it started
Ground Service Agent (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYSeptember 18, 2014
my job in collage, i was so happy to start but it was bad, very bad. long hrs payed bad and short lunch breaks.
good experience
Inflight Team Member (Former Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 6, 2014
Had the ability to work at cooperate as well. Great way to practice different skill sets.
Virgin is Amazing
Flight Attendant (Former Employee), Burlingame, CAAugust 22, 2014
What can I say.... Great uniforms, mood lighting and just an amazing experience.
new experience new beginning
Reservation Specialist (Current Employee), Farmers Branch, TXAugust 2, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: everyday changes
i, myself has a everyday schedule i adhere to everyday in order to ensure a successful day. Ive learned there is no I in teamwork, and every is an asset to the company one way or another. Challenging part of being a reservation specalist is the consist change everyday its something different. Enjoyable part, flexible scheduling
The only good thing is the ping pong table
Reservation Specialist (Former Employee), Farmers Branch, TXJuly 23, 2014
Pros: nice people
Cons: short breks, terrible hours, uncomfortable work enviroment
While becoming a great multi-tasker and efficient in reservation programs like Sabre, I learned alot at Virgin America. But, the hours were terrible for example, they switched my hours when I was in school and I had to fight my hardest to get my hours back. The phones would also ring non-stop with rude customers prepared to curse you out because someone – more... else messed up their reservation. We also had to deal with travel agents that had no clue as in what to do. I learned that you have to prepare to be ready for bad outcomes and also money isn't every and stay in school. The only plus was that the co-workers and mangers were real nice. – less
Needs some major re-structuring
Maintenance Planner (Former Employee), Burlingame, CAJuly 14, 2014
Pros: there are some really good people here. engineering has many of them.
Cons: the turnover, the drama, the management in my department, the cost of living, the opportunity, the high school mentality of most of the people there, the politics of senior leadership, the heavy workload put on certain departments, the company focus at times, the list goes on...
I worked for Virgin America for a little over a year. When I was first hired it was a dream come true. Then the politics began. There is one specific person that makes everyone miserable and no matter how many complaints are filed, nothing seems to happen. The department has lost over half of it's people twice in the last two years, and a large part – more... of it is because of one person and their inability to work well with others.

Management stays distant. Generally they enable one person with all of the power and that person makes changes as they see fit, regardless of how it affects the whole team. It is heavily heavily micro-managed. The daily schedule is broken down into 5 minute increments, which is beyond absurd.

The cost of living in the area is ludicrous. Even with top pay in this department, you are living just above the poverty level. It is the most expensive area on the planet statistically. That is not a comment but a fact.

Heavily consider a position here. – less
Fun place if you love helping people and flying
Guest Services Teammate (Current Employee), Newark, NJJune 18, 2014
Pros: free flying
Cons: long work days, inconsistent policies, high turnover rate
The friendships that are built while working there is amazing. Most of the staff are fun and look out for each other
Greeting and assisting airline guests in a polite and courteous manner
Guest Service Teammate (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 10, 2014
Pros: flight and health benefits
Cons: mando overtime and odd hours of operation
• Greeting and assisting airline guests in a polite and courteous manner
• Checking in guests at the airport and assisting them through the ticketing and reservation procedure
• Baggage qualified and able to assist passengers with baggage inquiries
• Helping guests rebook and resolving guest issues
• Boarding and deplaning of the aircraft
• Jet bridge – more... qualified
• Assisting fellow teammates for a smooth and safe operation
• Upholding the standards set by the company – less
Wonderful job - too much time away from home
Flight Attendant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 22, 2014
I loved working for Virgin America, but with the instability of flight attendant life, have chosen to pursue other opportunities.
Fun
Lead Systems Business analyst/Planning and Sales (Former Employee), San FranciscoMarch 19, 2014
Virgin America is all about having a good time at work. Loved the atmosphere, but being the passionate person I am about work, I needed co workers with more structure.
Line maintenace
Graveyard shift Line Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Los Angeles CADecember 8, 2013
Pros: job security, overtime
Cons: no appreciation for the work or consideration for the worker
A typical day at work involved overnight line maintenance at night-shift, troubleshooting in all systems, clear all MEL open, avionics cards and completing work card jobs deferred from B checks pending,. About 3-4 days a week, I would work on the day-shift performing transit checks and fixing fault lines at the request of my night-shift manager. The – more... hardest part of the job was to deliver the airworthy aircraft on time when given only a short time to perform maintenance, but I am used to the pressure and I frequently managed to do so. I got along with along well with my co-workers and I was always available to give a helping hand and teach new mechanics after finishing my assignments. I also enjoyed learning new things from a more experienced mechanics. The best part of my job was the feeling of satisfaction after all assigned aircraft were fixed and airworthy before departure time. – less
A very hard place to work.
Technician Line Maintenance (Former Employee), San Francisco Ca.October 26, 2013
Pros: flight benefits.
Cons: average pay for hard work.
The aircraft mechanic job here is a hard place to work,due to the poor planning of the work load of aircraft work.10 hr shift on graveyard you will work all 10 hrs with no breaks or lunch breaks typically during the shift. Very high turn-over of mechanics quitting because of this.Management very poor,they do not back up there employees.
Super fun job
Guest Service Teammate (Current Employee), Newark, NJSeptember 26, 2013
This is a position like no other. The people and work environment is so inspiring. It's really a job I plan on sticking with.
fun place to work.
Flight Attendant (Former Employee), californiaSeptember 17, 2013
nice having a fun and challenging place to work. co workers were from all types of backrounds and from all over the world.
DONT be a COMPLETE DUMMY...
San Francisco Agent (Former Employee), CaliforniaAugust 8, 2013
Pros: free travel
Cons: favoritism, racism, sexism
if your young and simple minded and just want to travel then yes .. this is the ideal place to start off. this company lacks moral and if your not a "favorite" you will likely be forced out by unfair treatment and favoritism. yet every job has favoritism, so you have to find your balance.. either you kiss butt to keep your job, or you try to stay under – more... the radar so they wont bother you.. but that doesn't last long either. They will find a way to trap you into a web of lies to use it against you so you can be set up to get fired or easily give up the Meri-go-round ride and quit. don't expect promotion if your African American because it's a true rare thing for them for promote or set greater equal opportunities if your a Person of African American Descent. If you knew the internal statics you would understand that they do the true bare minimum just to meet their affirmative action quota. Also they favor those who belong to the homosexual community so that's how they cover up any discrimination is they favor a homosexual candidate as oppose to a heterosexual candidate to "prove" they don't discriminate but that's a bunch of lies – less

About Virgin America

An offspring of Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Group, Virgin America took flight just as high fuel prices and a recession rocked – Read more