Virginia Blood Services

Virginia Blood Services United States Employee Reviews

Enjoyed working here for 20 years until it was sold to new management
Senior Bookkeeper (Former Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 24, 2014
Pros: helping others and work schedule being 7-4
Cons: my department members being let go and jobs being sent to corporate office
Check personal mail, answered emails, process AP and AR and ran bi-weekly payroll

How to work well with others with all different back grounds

Management was great until my manager retired and the company was sold

Loved my co-workers. We were like a large family

When the company was sold and trying to adjust to all the changes

Being able to help others with payroll issues. Talking with our external customers and building a relationship with them. Being able to work 7-4
Charge Phlebotomist/Mentor (Current Employee), Richmond, VAAugust 5, 2014
Pros: you get to go differnt places on a daily
Cons: health insurance that is provided is the bottom of the barrel, your not alloted a specific time for lunch, its eat and get back to your post. your not appreciated, too many different job aids, that are changed on a daily, you cant keep up with what is what.
A typical day at VBS ,to arrive at the staging area ( this where we load up a truck or a bus to go out into a designated company and or the community to collect blood, typical the blood drive is between 4-6 hrs. You may see 2 donors or you may see30 donors , depends on the day.
You learn different things on a daily basis. most of the times you learn things from your donors ,you become personable with them. you learn that everyone wants to be first!!!
For the most part management is o.k. Its a lack of communication, between management and us little guys. we are not apart of the process ,until its in place. We have trainings once a month and they split us up into ,maybe 7 different meetings and when its all said and done ,you have 7 different versions of the meeting/ and 7 different versions on how to do the new training.
For the most part ,my co-workers are great, we have specific teams and you grow to love your team as a family.
The hardest part of this job, would be loading and unloading the equipment. it has truly taken a toll on me and most my co-workers. Also you do not feel appreciated!!! The incentives are not there, there is barely a thank-you!!!

The most enjoyable part of the job is being with your team, and visiting different destinations on a daily
Components Manufacturing Lab Technician (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMay 11, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: hours at night
Awesome place to work. Hours are ok. Pay is great and upper management is very helpful!
Productive place, great mission
Calendar Manager and Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee), Richmond, VAApril 3, 2014
Pros: great misson, good benefits
Cons: not enough advancement
Enjoy my job however looking for more room for growth.VBS has a great mission and does great work in company.
Provide blood products for non-profit purposes.
Blood Collection Specialist (Former Employee), Richmond, VAApril 2, 2014
Pros: bonuses
Cons: long hours on the highway.
Arrive to assigned location.
This position taught me about the different products of the blood and how important it is to be able to supply the hospitals and agencies that need.
The hardest part about my job was sometime heavy lifting that required two people.
The most enjoyable was meeting our goals for the the charity and whom ever needed it.
productive
TECHNICAL LEADER/ PHLEBOTOMIST (Former Employee), Richmond,VAMarch 12, 2014
Pros: new challenges daily
Cons: short breaks, heavy equipment
I learned to work hard, welcome challenges and strict guidelines mandated by healthcare.
Very professional work environment
Blood Collection Specialist III (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: the training
Cons: short lunch breaks and no breaks at times
A typical day at Virginia Blood Services can be very busy. I taught procedures for obtaining blood donations to new employees. Performed annual observations and trained staff on new equipment techniques. Taught proper asepsis techniques using OSHA guidelines. Planned and instructed each subject using a wide variety of teaching aids. Used motivational and implementation strategies to engage students in active learning.
Prepared specimens for analysis and established proper chronological priorities in testing.
Carefully reviewed test results for accuracy.
Properly calibrated and adjusted malfunctioning equipment to ensure precise test results.
Executed hematological tests, including red and white blood cell counts, sickle cell tests, hemoglobin estimations, fragility tests, coagulation time and clot retraction time.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the donors.
The hardest part of the job is keeping up the demands that can come from multiple donors at once.
Unstable hours, work environment and unprofessional management
BCS III (Current Employee), Richmond, VADecember 6, 2013
Cons: short or no breaks
You can work until 9 or 10 pm and be required to be back at work the following morning. Work schedules change constantly. Management is unprofessional. Coworkers are wonderful. The most difficult aspect of the job is work schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people you work with.
Nice option for a college student.
Senior Learning Associate (Former Employee), Richmond, VaAugust 20, 2013
Great option for VCU students or anyone in the fan. Nice location for easy comute.
good place to work
BLOOD COLLECTION SPECIALIST (Former Employee), charlottesville, vaMarch 31, 2013
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: blood drive hours
The job itself was challenging and educational. The hours for the drives were bad for me. The managent was fair
Helping Others
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, VANovember 2, 2012
Pros: talking with donors
Educating the donors on giving blood. Drawing blood and transporting the donations to the center.
They need to motivate their employees
Blood Collection Specialist (Current Employee), Richmond, VAApril 2, 2012
Defiantly, they teach you new skills that might help you down the road, clean place to work at; however, management need to work closer with their employees, that way they will know what the issues are and fix them, instead of throwing policies and procedures without fixing the core problem.
Wonderful work environment.
Manager of Collections (Current Employee), Richmond, VirginiaMarch 28, 2012
Most enjoyable job I've had. Everyone works as a team. I would recommend the company to anyone who was interested in working in blood banking.

October 6, 2012

Of course, you would say a wonderful environment, because you are siting behind the desk. If you do not have a good reference in this place you will never advance in you career life. I agree they do not care about their employee. So manager let me ask you this, how many employee did you lose so far this year? Why?

About Virginia Blood Services

Rockingham Memorial Hospital (RMH) won't rock you to sleep, but you may sleep better knowing the acute care medical center is – Read more