Virginia Blood Services Employee Reviews

fast moving job
Donor Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 25, 2016
Good place to work if you like a fast pace and lot's of travel. Nice working with the donors and they are very thankful. Lot's of lifting heavy stuff.
Why are they hiring? As a Blood Collection Specialist my hours have been cut in half.
BCS (Current Employee) –  Richmond VASeptember 1, 2015
If you want to be treated with no respect, this is the place to work. As Blood Collection Specialist and Supervisors, we are not given a schedule, more often then not, until the very last moment for the following week. What does that mean for you? It means you cannot schedule dr. appts., participate in any of children's activities, or plan anything ahead of time. Right now, we have had are hours cut by at least half. We still have the full benefits monies taken out of our pay and are still considered full time employees. It's been a complete disaster in that you struggle to maintain hours and have a schedule which gives you no quality of life what so ever. Management is unprofessional. If you go to them with a problem in confidentiality, that confidentiality is broken, again, more times than not. Most of us are trying to seek other employment. You will probably see more and more job postings in the future. Just beware.
Pros
Cons
Read Above
Too Slow
Deployment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond VaAugust 3, 2015
Place was entirely too slow for me while I worked there. What I learned I didn't have to apply while I worked there. It was so slow that I mostly browsed the internet there. IT was segmented off through various teams within IT.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Entirely too slow.
Daily activities
Warehouse Operations, CDL Driver, Registration, (Current Employee) –  Henrico, VAJune 29, 2015
Show up to work, load truck, drive to job site set up equipment, start blood drive, break down equipment. Drive back to headquarters and unload equipment.
Virginia Blood Services
Phlebotomist (BCS1/CDL) (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 1, 2014
Performed daily set up and take down of blood donation equipment. Plebotomy performed daily sometime sfor extended periods of time. Much has been learned in the art of "sticking".
Enjoyed working here for 20 years until it was sold to new management
Senior Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 24, 2014
Check personal mail, answered emails, process AP and AR and ran bi-weekly payroll

How to work well with others with all different back grounds

Management was great until my manager retired and the company was sold

Loved my co-workers. We were like a large family

When the company was sold and trying to adjust to all the changes

Being able to help others with payroll issues. Talking with our external customers and building a relationship with them. Being able to work 7-4
Pros
Helping others and work schedule being 7-4
Cons
My department members being let go and jobs being sent to corporate office
Charge Phlebotomist/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 5, 2014
A typical day at VBS ,to arrive at the staging area ( this where we load up a truck or a bus to go out into a designated company and or the community to collect blood, typical the blood drive is between 4-6 hrs. You may see 2 donors or you may see30 donors , depends on the day.
You learn different things on a daily basis. most of the times you learn things from your donors ,you become personable with them. you learn that everyone wants to be first!!!
For the most part management is o.k. Its a lack of communication, between management and us little guys. we are not apart of the process ,until its in place. We have trainings once a month and they split us up into ,maybe 7 different meetings and when its all said and done ,you have 7 different versions of the meeting/ and 7 different versions on how to do the new training.
For the most part ,my co-workers are great, we have specific teams and you grow to love your team as a family.
The hardest part of this job, would be loading and unloading the equipment. it has truly taken a toll on me and most my co-workers. Also you do not feel appreciated!!! The incentives are not there, there is barely a thank-you!!!

The most enjoyable part of the job is being with your team, and visiting different destinations on a daily
Pros
you get to go differnt places on a daily
Cons
health insurance that is provided is the bottom of the barrel, your not alloted a specific time for lunch, its eat and get back to your post. your not appreciated, too many different job aids, that are changed on a daily, you cant keep up with what is what.
Components Manufacturing Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 11, 2014
Awesome place to work. Hours are ok. Pay is great and upper management is very helpful!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hours at night
Productive place, great mission
Calendar Manager and Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 3, 2014
Enjoy my job however looking for more room for growth.VBS has a great mission and does great work in company.
Pros
great misson, good benefits
Cons
not enough advancement
Provide blood products for non-profit purposes.
Blood Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 2, 2014
Arrive to assigned location.
This position taught me about the different products of the blood and how important it is to be able to supply the hospitals and agencies that need.
The hardest part about my job was sometime heavy lifting that required two people.
The most enjoyable was meeting our goals for the the charity and whom ever needed it.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
Long hours on the highway.
productive
TECHNICAL LEADER/ PHLEBOTOMIST (Former Employee) –  Richmond,VAMarch 12, 2014
I learned to work hard, welcome challenges and strict guidelines mandated by healthcare.
Pros
new challenges daily
Cons
short breaks, heavy equipment
Very professional work environment
Blood Collection Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 27, 2014
A typical day at Virginia Blood Services can be very busy. I taught procedures for obtaining blood donations to new employees. Performed annual observations and trained staff on new equipment techniques. Taught proper asepsis techniques using OSHA guidelines. Planned and instructed each subject using a wide variety of teaching aids. Used motivational and implementation strategies to engage students in active learning.
Prepared specimens for analysis and established proper chronological priorities in testing.
Carefully reviewed test results for accuracy.
Properly calibrated and adjusted malfunctioning equipment to ensure precise test results.
Executed hematological tests, including red and white blood cell counts, sickle cell tests, hemoglobin estimations, fragility tests, coagulation time and clot retraction time.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the donors.
The hardest part of the job is keeping up the demands that can come from multiple donors at once.
Pros
The training
Cons
Short lunch breaks and no breaks at times
Unstable hours, work environment and unprofessional management
BCS III (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 6, 2013
You can work until 9 or 10 pm and be required to be back at work the following morning. Work schedules change constantly. Management is unprofessional. Coworkers are wonderful. The most difficult aspect of the job is work schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people you work with.
Cons
short or no breaks
Nice option for a college student.
Senior Learning Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VaAugust 20, 2013
Great option for VCU students or anyone in the fan. Nice location for easy comute.
good place to work
BLOOD COLLECTION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  charlottesville, vaMarch 31, 2013
The job itself was challenging and educational. The hours for the drives were bad for me. The managent was fair
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
blood drive hours
Helping Others
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 2, 2012
Educating the donors on giving blood. Drawing blood and transporting the donations to the center.
Pros
talking with donors
They need to motivate their employees
Blood Collection Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 2, 2012
Defiantly, they teach you new skills that might help you down the road, clean place to work at; however, management need to work closer with their employees, that way they will know what the issues are and fix them, instead of throwing policies and procedures without fixing the core problem.
Wonderful work environment.
Manager of Collections (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VirginiaMarch 28, 2012
Most enjoyable job I've had. Everyone works as a team. I would recommend the company to anyone who was interested in working in blood banking.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Blood Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9