Virginia Commonwealth University Employee Reviews

Good job for full time student, less chance for advancement
SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 15, 2016
In a typical day, depending on building assigned/working in, a day can be pretty relaxing or very hectic. You monitor the CCTV and CBORD and make sure no one is trespassing or committing any policy violations. I was CSO trained, first aid trained, and FEMA trained. I learned to write reports from incidents. I work well under pressure so in situations where I have to make a lot of decisions quickly and corrected while keeping a calm demeanor, I excelled. I enjoyed my coworkers and majority of my upper management. It is kind of hard to advance because there are approximately 200 security officers but only 5 lead security officer positions. When I started there was a lead officer position for each building that was competitive, but the structure of the job has changed tremendously since then. If I could advance to a lead security officer positions, I would do so!
Pros
Many different coworkers, Good management
Cons
Many different coworkers, poor pay
Great Benefits but horrible pay
Clinical Social Worker II (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 19, 2016
I've had a wonderful supervisor and coworkers but was offered well below the advertised base salary and this was never corrected. I took the job because I needed one which was a foolish mistake. They do not compensate well at all. The benefits help but the pay is horrible and you will not be able to live working this job alone.
Pros
Great time off and insurance
Cons
Horrible Pay
Pretty Good
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 21, 2016
VCU was very profession. Everything was placed on time and proper. I graded papers based of the teacher's grading scale and they were very fair. Occasionally, I would assist students when they working on classwork. The management was kind and caring. My co-workers were amazing. There was no hard part for doing this job.
Exciting and Interesting Environment
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 2, 2016
Although my time at the Virginia Commonwealth University was short, it was highly enjoyable. I learnt a great deal about the technology and techniques used in high grade laboratories, and I was made very welcome while I was there. Being able to take part in cutting-edge scientific research was fascinating, and learning how to use several specialist pieces of equipment in the laboratory was very interesting.
All that we do impacts the patient which brings satisfaction
Department of Pathology Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 2, 2016
Every day is a new day to impact the lives of our patients. Whether its providing administrative support to the faculty or assisting a lab by bringing them their lab specimens; my days are rewarding
DURI Mentor
Mentor, Dean's Undergraduate Research Initiative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 6, 2016
As a DURI (the Dean's Undergraduate Research Initiative) mentor, I was responsible for overseeing an undergraduate researcher and working through a project with them. Initially this required a lot of oversight and hands on training but as time progressed the undergrad was able to actively contribute and improve the research we were working on.
Overall, Great Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 5, 2016
I've been at VCU for 9 years, in various schools and departments. I love working with people from all over the world. One drawback is is that, being a public, university, salaries are often compressed.
Teaching Assistant Program
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 7, 2015
Gained experience as a teaching assistant/personal assistant through this program.
Create lesson plans, lead class discussions, create presentations, deliver presentations to students/staff.
Designed and led a presentation to university staff and alumni titled "Students Teaching Students", which discussed the benefits of undergraduate teaching assistant programs to the students involved.
Work done in exchange for experience and college credits. No monetary compensation.
Pros
Professional experience, teaching experience
Cons
Long hours, no monetary compensation for work done
learned a lot
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 22, 2016
I definitely learned a lot during my internship with my VCU professor. It gave me a glimpse into what I could do as a Mechanical Engineer in the medical field
Great benefits but poor compensation
Nurse Case Manger (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 19, 2016
There are a lot of benefits to working here but I am not appropriately compensated for my skill level.
Great staff and employer.
Good work environment, demanding hours
Residential Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 16, 2016
Hours are very demanding. Must be able to balance sleep schedule and personal life efficiently in order to successfully keep this job and yourself in good health.
Great Place
Data Internship (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 10, 2016
We had data internship which was part of class. Had great experience working with teammates. So don't know what to write more.
Challenging and rewarding
Student (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 9, 2016
Going to this dental hygiene program was the best decision I have made. The program is wonderful and has taught me so much in every aspect important in the dental field.
Provides a lot of opportunity for growth
STEM Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 15, 2016
I love working with kids and my fellow peers at the university. We could see and feel the difference we were making which was great, and everyone got along very well.
Pros
free lunches, steady pay, good hours
Cons
No healthcare
Director of Support Services (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 17, 2015
Great place to work. Allot of opportunities to continue your education.
Many challenges and to opportunities to excel. Very diversified staff. Equal opportunity employee.
Pros
Great benefits
School
Student (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 21, 2016
It is a wonderful school to pursue a degree in chemistry. School is just as much work or more than a full time job. The professors and the program create the perfect learning environment.
Educational Learning Environment
Bioinformaticist and Agile Transformation Lead (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 9, 2015
Independent projects
Challenging projects
Continuing education
Relaxed atmosphere
Flexible schedule
Projects are diverse
Promotes team based science
Excellent management and training
Pros
Challenging projects
Cons
Lower salary than industry
School of Nursing is excellent
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 4, 2016
Excellent faculty to work with in the School of Nursing. All are very kind and willing to help and teach. Supportive and understanding with other time commitments.
Good chance to get PhD degree
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 4, 2016
Full financial support to earn PhD degree.
Good advisers.
Good curriculum.
Good lab environment.
The department of mechanical and nuclear engineering is growing.
Excellent workplace
Public Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 25, 2016
At Virginia Commonwealth I was able to explore and learn a lot beneficial information in the area of Public Relations as a student and intern. The staff's expertise was very helpful which helped me grow as a person and professional. I am very proud to have been a part of the Virginia Commonwealth University.

4.3