Virginia Commonwealth University

Virginia Commonwealth University Employer Reviews

Its a good university with good work culture and ethics.
Ph.D. Candidate (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJune 27, 2014
Pros: friendly people
Cons: can not really think of any thing...
I am doing Ph.D at VCU and enjoying the work culture and nice people. Staff, Faculty and my colleagues are friendly. Science is good and done with good ethics and good scientific practices.
Productive and friendly atmosphere
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMay 16, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: i have to leave for class
A typical day at work would be me making mail runs and delivering packages or creating birthday cards for those who were involved with the Scott House. I learned how much work goes into the funding of a school. My co-workers were friendly and helpful. There were no hard parts of this job. The most enjoyable part was knowing that I contributed to allowing – more... the funding process for students work smoother. – less
Provide both education and medical services.
MIS Developer (Current Employee), Richmond, VAApril 22, 2014
Pros: education and medical services
Cons: located downtown.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that VCU helps people
through both education and medical services.
internship
Bug lab Intern (Current Employee), Richmond, VAApril 13, 2014
Pros: microwave access
nice, worked right into my schedule, enjoyed everyone i worked with, spent a lot of time here by choice
Research
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, VAApril 13, 2014
Research is always fun. I love working with plants and growing bacteria.
Great opportunities for research
Research/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Richmond, VAApril 8, 2014
In the course of my academic career at VCU, I have gained a wide variety of experimental skills in nanofabrication and nanomaterial characterization. My current research focuses on multiferroic nanomagnetic logic using strain-induced clocking in the fields of computing and signal processing which would drastically reduce energy dissipated during device – more... operation. To this end, I have worked on optimizing the nanomagnet fabrication process while gaining proficiency in various nanofabrication tools and equipment such as the Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM)/Electron-beam Lithography (EBL), and RF-Sputtering as well as in nanomaterial characterization techniques such as Atomic/Magnetic Force Microscopy (AFM/MFM). I had the opportunity to train on and use the various tools available at VCU's Nanomaterials Characterization Center (NCC). I was able to showcase my research through various research awards supported by the College of Engineering (second place –Outstanding Research Award, 2012-13) and interact with industry representatives at the regularly-scheduled job fairs on campus.

In addition, as a Ph.D. student at VCU, I have had the great fortune of becoming a well-rounded student through my positions of President of the Graduate Mechanical & Nuclear Engineers organization and Secretary of the Engineering Graduate Students Association. Supplementing this has been my work with several outreach programs, for instance, in the organization of workshops for the Math-Science Innovation Center for grades 6-8, and in the mentoring of a high school student through the Richmond Area Program for Minorities in Engineering (RAPME). – less
Lots to learn maintained interest in the job.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Richmond, VAApril 3, 2014
During my typical work day, I enjoyed working with the interesting employees of VCU! Through interaction over the phone, they were familiarized with my work ethic and began to rely on my answering the phone! The most enjoyable part was diversity!
Great place to start professional career
ASSISTANT FITNESS AND WELLNESS COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 11, 2014
Pros: great hours
Cons: can be slow days at times
Professional but laid back atmosphere with a lot to offer. Well supervised and learned a lot of management skills and fitness skills. Was able to balance work and graduate school hours.
Got to work with faculty/staff and students in a great recreation and wellness facility.
Summary
College Housekeeping (Former Employee), Richmond,VaFebruary 21, 2014
I have worked and Virginia Commonwealth University for thirty years and I have mastered working in hospitality and serving food to the fellow students. I worked with great team members and an outstanding management team.
Productive and Fun workplace
Food Service Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: seasonal, had the best days off.
Cons: short breaks
This is a college so they keep you on your toes. People friendly and enjoyable place to work.
Great work place
Research assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, VANovember 14, 2013
Its a great place to work! Co-workers are very friendly. You can work anytime you are comfortable and need not work 9-5.
Graduate research work
Research Assistant / Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 27, 2013
Very enjoyable work learning while obtaining MSc Engineering.
Non-Paid Job-
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 15, 2013
Non-Paid job. This position was part of graduate research.
A great place to work if you have a love for research!
Laboratory Specialist Senior/Laboratory Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 11, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed my work there! It was a very diversified company to work for and offered several opportunities to grow.
Internship
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 30, 2013
Pros: scheduling
Cons: notice of deadlines
Low paying, but a great schedule. Provided necessary credit for graduation with minimal stress
Fun place
Lab Research Technician (Former Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 23, 2013
It was a nice introduction into the research lifestyle. The management was very understanding, and the work was very fulfilling.
Virginia Commonweath University has room for improvement.
Education Coach (Former Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 8, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule, clean and safe work environment, flexible co-workers
Cons: there is a efusal to regonize any weaknesses or room for improvement of current conditions
This school participates in a federally funded program, which paid my salary and dictated the work environment. Despite the fact that this program was a misdirected, which results in an environment that is employees to thrive in, the school and its employees continue to support the endeavor.
Great place to work!
NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 29, 2013
Great place to work! Friendly staff, diverse group, and provides a great work/life balance. Only complaint, not much room for advancement.
Excellent
Food Service (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 25, 2013
As a good public college, it gave us a good place to study and a nice environment to get the real world experience.
turned freshmen college kids into passionate animators.
Animation Professor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 10, 2013
Pros: watching a kid see his/her character come to life
Cons: lack of equipment, and no preparation for what my class should be run like.
I started my class very casual with 15 mins of just cool animation projected on the big screen. No discussion, no breaking things down, just sitting back and enjoying well animated pieces. They would turn in their 3 second animation assignment from last class. We would discuss and go over the movement and frame rates. Then I would talk about the next – more... movement or technique we were going to try. I would play examples of my own work illustrating the techniques and would sometimes act it out for them. I would end class either watching their past assignments to let them see what their new techniques could do for it, or show them a piece demonstrating what we went over.

Most rewarding thing from the job was the fact that not only did i convert sculpture, painting, fashion design, and interior design students into animators that went on to study in the program. But I also still get emails from my students wanting me to critique their work while after the class was finished. – less

1 2 3 4