Virginia Credit Union

Virginia Credit Union Employee Reviews

Family environment and obvious effort put into it
Lending Advisor (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VASeptember 23, 2016
VACU is truly a great place to work. There is a very calm and friendly environment. This is an institution that values taking care of members and hard-work. I only wish I hadn't wasted time in other call centers years ago. I've worked here for about a year now, and the management staff is so supportive. Call volumes can get crazy after holidays but other than that, I have no complaints.
Pros
Great benefits, family environment, committed to doing good.
It's okay
Contact Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VAApril 29, 2016
Virginia credit union in Waterford I like the company and benefits itself but I couldn't stand the management team I never seen so many grown people worried about what others were doing , VERY PETTY , they pretty much make up the rules as they go along ! Their very strict on dress code for no reason back to back calls and now their making it so we have team meetings and lunches together no disrespect but who wants to spend their lunch break w their co workers to me that's not fair because that's still working to me and we're not getting paid . They want you to sit there after 6 and take calls but don't want to pay you ! The management team knows nothing when you ask them something they don't know ! They NEVER know . Watch your back that's all I will say ... Because the list goes on ! And the ad says some Saturdays yeah right they told us we didn't have to work Saturdays if we didn't want to once we got in they stated that their making everyone work at least one Saturday why if people volunteer anyways JUST DUMMIES !
Pros
Cons
almost everything hate getting out of bed
Contact Center Nightmare
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJanuary 23, 2017
Back to back calls all day, Strict breaks, slim chance of growth, 1 person had been one of the best reps on the phone for over 10 years and they never promoted her, Managers are lazy and do not respect confidentiality. There are only a few non-caucasions who are a above management. The commute can be long and expensive (tolls) depending on where you live. No cafeteria. Security is nosey and you even have to put down every license plate of the car you may have to drive to work.
Pros
pay was ok
Cons
Managers
Productive and Pushy
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23228April 27, 2016
Virginia Credit Union is a great place to work if you can get into the right area or branch. The managers I worked for were very abusive mentally and nothing was ever good enough. My coworkers were great! The benefits were fair and the pay was fair also.
Cons
Upper Management
Branch empolyee
Branch emplyee (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 22, 2016
This is a great place to work if you don't work in the branches! At the interview was told it was all about the members, sales are secondary. Well it is not! If you don't make your goals, you are told to find a way to make them! Its like the big bank sales culture (SELL THEM EVERYTHING) without any sales training. Be ready to call call call as this is an expectation. Turn over in the branches is higher than any bank or credit union I have worked for. I have been in banking over 25 years and this really does top them all for micro management. Sad really they have some good branch staff.
Pros
The members are loyal
Cons
Middle and upper managers are KINGS and QUEENS of micro management! We very wary!
Branch grunt!
Branch Grunt! (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 9, 2016
My experience at Vacu has been a sad one!. From the interview where the place is sold to you as a family of friends, to the reality of a CEO who wants to change the credit Union into One of the big banks with his sells at any cost. I have seen 4 branch managers leave in the last year 3 of them with the credit union less than a year. I cant even count the amount of staff that leaves the branches.

If you are have a low morale standard and don't mind selling/pushing products on members you will do great! If you can do this on the phone and in person even better.

The area managers and the senior branch team are a joke they over look anything almost as long as they can report they are beating last years numbers.

I feel I have thrown away my time at VACU. Take what they tell you with a pinch of salt and check how often they all always looking for branch staff.
Pros
Good products
Cons
Area managers! Senior branch managemnet and CEO!
Customer Service
Teller (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 18, 2016
The managers do not set realistic goals. Lately they have been pushed more and more, and attention to employees have become less and less. If they keep it up, they may become the next Wells Fargo Scandal.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Goals
Great place
Teller (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 29, 2016
I have enjoyed my time for far here at the credit union. Very personal and family like company. I am learning a lot and I have met a lot of great people and made a lot of great connections.
Team oriented, collaborative and member and employee focued organization that was run with highly experienced leaders at all levels.
Vice President, IT Strategy and Governance (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 31, 2012
A place that encouraged individuality, creativity, new ideas, process improvement and career progression and highly focused on education.

It's managed by experienced leaders at all levels who work hard and who appreciate employees at all levels.

Employees are self motivated and are always prepared to serve their members (customers) with all their financial needs - they truy believe in their well being - that is the culture at this organization at all levels.

There were challenges all the time that I had to overcome - but nothing I can say that I did not overcome - becasue I had the tools, resources and encouragement.

It was fun to work there - great work and life balance - lots of employee acknowledgement and rewards and recogniztion at all levels.
Pros
career advacement, feedom of speech, education and new ideas were always encouraged.
Cons
smaller raises
Micro managed by "executive team", Managers have no say
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  richmond vaMarch 8, 2013
long work days in the branches,, short staffed, they take staff from busy loactions toplace in slow branches. Branches are micro managed, manageeers cannot make any decisions without area manager approval. Members make very demanding request and are always right, no support from upper managers. Be prepaired to stay all day when it snows or bad weather, upper management does care about assocites. Support teams are not friendly or helpful!

no negoation for salary or for increases!
Cons
linited lunches, very weak benefits, micro managed, long hours
Stable company with above-average benefits. Some great long-time employees
lower management (Former Employee) –  richmondFebruary 27, 2013
It was an enjoyable job until the branches became too short-staffed, due to atrition. Most employees work well together- as a team, despite that rapid growth of the credit union. Each day was different- new and exciting problems to solve
Pros
good benefits, employee education
Cons
hard to take full lunchtime, due to pressing issues to solve
Fun place to work
teller (Former Employee) –  richmond, vaJune 19, 2013
Loved coming in and interacting with the members. Helped with daily transactions and products that would benefit the member financially. Closed drawer out every evening with in the balance guidelines.
Pros
pay was great, benefits were great, and the people were awesome
great place to work
Branch Employee (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 7, 2015
VACU is a great place to work. They offer good benefits and paid time off as well as 401K match. The company cares about its employees and creates a great work environment.
Great company functions
Teller (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 1, 2015
Very hard to advance within the company unless you have a very long history and are not placed in a location with a not so good reputation.
Pros
Company functions
Cons
Micro management, no real room for advancement
Overall good company to work for
Branch Member Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 15, 2012
Overall good company to work for, great compensation and benefits.
Great Company
Card Services, Credit Card Representative (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VANovember 27, 2015
All around good company to work for. Fun place with supportive management. Teammates feel more like family than teammates.
I was a dedicated employee and took great pride in my postion and ability levels
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 20, 2012
While an employee at VACU I had a multitude of various positions in different departments over the thirteen year tenure. Based on personal work ethics, I always gave my best and wanted to learn my duties thoroughly. I preferred to do the job right the first time. Helping members was rewarding for me as I took this responsibility seriously.
Pros
great benefit package, department lunches
Cons
too many "clicks" and inside politics, lack of true recognition for job performance
Great place to work if you like sales
Teller II (Former Employee) –  Farmville VAFebruary 3, 2014
Work with customers on a daily basis, meeting their banking needs by either answering or referring their financial questions to the appropriate individuals. Securing the financial institution nightly. Responding to customer inquiries regarding account balances. Responsible for ordering the branch money on a bi-weekly basis.
Ordered branch supplies as needed. Filled in for the Teller Supervisor as needed this includes balancing the vault, filling the TCD’s and selling or buying money from the tellers as needed. Was also the contact for community outreach at this branch, set out the collection boxes and tried to get the branch involved. The hardest part of this job was the down time and trying to find something to do to make the day go by.
Pros
Great members and liked that the corporation was very involved in helping the community
Cons
No breaks and sometimes no lunch
Virginia Credit is a good place to work. They have employee night with free meal and entertainment, they have a night where they give awards.
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 18, 2014
A typicla day at the Virginia Credit Union branch where I worked was constructive. The day began with everyone getting their cash boxes out and booting up their computers. My co-workers were good team mates and we would help each other with different sales and referrals. The hardest part of the day was when the the member traffic slowed down, but there were things for us to do. I would say the most enjoyable part of the day was when the members came in (I knew most of them personally) and there were fun exchanges between them and our staff.
Pros
We were offered little things like $5.00 gift certicates for doing so many referrals, free dinners for doing the most financial service referrals for the branch, they give awards for various things such as employee of the quarter and for the year.
Cons
Sometimes there was not enough help when needed. For example vacations, days off, short staff.
VACU cares about their members.
Lending Advisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 30, 2013
VACU is a great place to work compared to the other financial institutions I've worked for. The members are valued and their feedback is heard. My co-workers are great and management is fair. I enjoy working with the members and assisting them with lending decisions. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help someone when they are enduring a difficult economy and job market.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8