Virginia Credit Union Employee Reviews

Growth Opportunity
Oracle DBA (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VANovember 14, 2017
I love the environment because of the growth opportunity i learned a lot with the new technologies and promotions in this company wish i was still there.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 30, 2017
I truly enjoyed the 5 years that I worked at Virginia Credit Union. I love being a Member Service rep. Great work/life balance. Management really cares about the success of their employees. They do a great job in providing the right services for their members. They have a strong passion for the well being of their employees. Benefits are great 3 weeks vacation plus sick leave 401k and pension.... how many companies offer pension now. Friendly and caring staff all pulling together and supportive. Everyone works hard to assure that their members are taking care of...excellent service. Not a good fit for lazy people that just wanted to earn a paycheck. I can truly say they really appreciate the employees that come to work that has a passion to make things better for the member and the employee.
Pros
Caring people
Cons
Unfortunate they are not in Ohio. My husband was relocated
Only Great for Entry Level
Account Consultant (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJune 13, 2017
If you have banking experience, don't apply. This company is stuck in their ways. They have a very old fashion way of conducting business. Everyday was stressful and you have to call multiple departments throughout the day in order to assist each member. Sometimes those departments only have 1 or 2 people working in them, so if they are busy, you're screwed.

Management is very unorganized. They try to be strict on the cell phone policy but they are constantly on their personal cell phones throughout the day. When calls are super backed up, they hardly ever pick up the phones to help relieve the queue.

No room for advancement. Its a very small company and it is all about who you know, not what you know.

The best part about this job is the training and the schedule. This job is great for someone who wants to get into banking or is fresh out of college.
Pros
Benefits, Schedule
Cons
Management, No advancement, Stressful atmosphere
Great Place for the most part
Account Consultant (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAMay 24, 2017
I enjoyed my time working for the CU. The phones were a bit stressful and the adherence policy didn't help. I still speak highly of it to those who are looking for good stability.
Pros
Benefits, Holiday Party, Co-workers
Cons
Adherence policy
Great place to work, if you like sales and being micro-managed
Branch Employee (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 11, 2017
Virginia Credit Union used to be a great place to work. Now, every day, all you hear, all day long is SALES. The only thing management cares about is how much we've generated in loan dollars today, this week, this month, and so far this year. Branch Managers want to micro-manage everything you do. Current management has created a sweatshop environment and has very little integrity. You will hear how the employees are what makes the credit union successful and how much what you do is appreciated, but you will not feel valued. You are treated as another part in the machine that can be replaced if they can't "fix you". They talk about how important trust is, especially in this industry, but they are not trustworthy as an employer. If you consider employment here two words of advice: "be prepared to sell, sell sell" and "watch your back".
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Micro-management, sales culture, Saturday schedule
Contact Center Nightmare
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJanuary 23, 2017
Back to back calls all day, Strict breaks, slim chance of growth, 1 person had been one of the best reps on the phone for over 10 years and they never promoted her, Managers are lazy and do not respect confidentiality. There are only a few non-caucasions who are a above management. The commute can be long and expensive (tolls) depending on where you live. No cafeteria. Security is nosey and you even have to put down every license plate of the car you may have to drive to work.
Pros
pay was ok
Cons
Managers
Very Busy. Sometimes its a fun place to work
Teller (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 8, 2017
Its a job. Not a lot of advancement opportunities. Moving towards commercial banking instead of being a credit union. When initially applying for this position I came in with the aspect that the credit union cares about their members and is all about member experience. Over the past 2 years that has changed. Customer Service is no longer the focus. It;s all about sales and how much loan dollars you can make.
Customer Service
Teller (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 18, 2016
The managers do not set realistic goals. Lately they have been pushed more and more, and attention to employees have become less and less. If they keep it up, they may become the next Wells Fargo Scandal.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Goals
Great place
Teller (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 29, 2016
I have enjoyed my time for far here at the credit union. Very personal and family like company. I am learning a lot and I have met a lot of great people and made a lot of great connections.
Family environment and obvious effort put into it
Lending Advisor (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VASeptember 23, 2016
VACU is truly a great place to work. There is a very calm and friendly environment. This is an institution that values taking care of members and hard-work. I only wish I hadn't wasted time in other call centers years ago. I've worked here for about a year now, and the management staff is so supportive. Call volumes can get crazy after holidays but other than that, I have no complaints.
Pros
Great benefits, family environment, committed to doing good.
Branch grunt!
Branch Grunt! (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 9, 2016
My experience at Vacu has been a sad one!. From the interview where the place is sold to you as a family of friends, to the reality of a CEO who wants to change the credit Union into One of the big banks with his sells at any cost. I have seen 4 branch managers leave in the last year 3 of them with the credit union less than a year. I cant even count the amount of staff that leaves the branches.

If you are have a low morale standard and don't mind selling/pushing products on members you will do great! If you can do this on the phone and in person even better.

The area managers and the senior branch team are a joke they over look anything almost as long as they can report they are beating last years numbers.

I feel I have thrown away my time at VACU. Take what they tell you with a pinch of salt and check how often they all always looking for branch staff.
Pros
Good products
Cons
Area managers! Senior branch managemnet and CEO!
Branch empolyee
Branch emplyee (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 22, 2016
This is a great place to work if you don't work in the branches! At the interview was told it was all about the members, sales are secondary. Well it is not! If you don't make your goals, you are told to find a way to make them! Its like the big bank sales culture (SELL THEM EVERYTHING) without any sales training. Be ready to call call call as this is an expectation. Turn over in the branches is higher than any bank or credit union I have worked for. I have been in banking over 25 years and this really does top them all for micro management. Sad really they have some good branch staff.
Pros
The members are loyal
Cons
Middle and upper managers are KINGS and QUEENS of micro management! We very wary!
It's okay
Contact Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VAApril 29, 2016
Virginia credit union in Waterford I like the company and benefits itself but I couldn't stand the management team I never seen so many grown people worried about what others were doing , VERY PETTY , they pretty much make up the rules as they go along ! Their very strict on dress code for no reason back to back calls and now their making it so we have team meetings and lunches together no disrespect but who wants to spend their lunch break w their co workers to me that's not fair because that's still working to me and we're not getting paid . They want you to sit there after 6 and take calls but don't want to pay you ! The management team knows nothing when you ask them something they don't know ! They NEVER know . Watch your back that's all I will say ... Because the list goes on ! And the ad says some Saturdays yeah right they told us we didn't have to work Saturdays if we didn't want to once we got in they stated that their making everyone work at least one Saturday why if people volunteer anyways JUST DUMMIES !
Pros
Cons
almost everything hate getting out of bed
Productive and Pushy
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23228April 27, 2016
Virginia Credit Union is a great place to work if you can get into the right area or branch. The managers I worked for were very abusive mentally and nothing was ever good enough. My coworkers were great! The benefits were fair and the pay was fair also.
Cons
Upper Management
Great company functions
Teller (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 1, 2015
Very hard to advance within the company unless you have a very long history and are not placed in a location with a not so good reputation.
Pros
Company functions
Cons
Micro management, no real room for advancement
Great Company
Card Services, Credit Card Representative (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VANovember 27, 2015
All around good company to work for. Fun place with supportive management. Teammates feel more like family than teammates.
Plenty of opportunity for advancement
Teller 1 (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 12, 2015
They offer plenty of opportunity for advancement, and are willing to teach you anything you want to know. Referring to members is a primary function of this job.
great place to work
Branch Employee (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 7, 2015
VACU is a great place to work. They offer good benefits and paid time off as well as 401K match. The company cares about its employees and creates a great work environment.
Fast pace and fun to work for.
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VASeptember 26, 2014
Helping people manage their money was quite enjoyable. People would always express how I made their day.
Pros
Geting to see new faces every day.
Cons
Handeling cash and coins can become very dirty.
Virginia Credit is a good place to work. They have employee night with free meal and entertainment, they have a night where they give awards.
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 18, 2014
A typicla day at the Virginia Credit Union branch where I worked was constructive. The day began with everyone getting their cash boxes out and booting up their computers. My co-workers were good team mates and we would help each other with different sales and referrals. The hardest part of the day was when the the member traffic slowed down, but there were things for us to do. I would say the most enjoyable part of the day was when the members came in (I knew most of them personally) and there were fun exchanges between them and our staff.
Pros
We were offered little things like $5.00 gift certicates for doing so many referrals, free dinners for doing the most financial service referrals for the branch, they give awards for various things such as employee of the quarter and for the year.
Cons
Sometimes there was not enough help when needed. For example vacations, days off, short staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9