Virginia Credit Union

Virginia Credit Union Employee Reviews

Great Company
Card Services, Credit Card Representative (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VANovember 27, 2015
All around good company to work for. Fun place with supportive management. Teammates feel more like family than teammates.
Plenty of opportunity for advancement
Teller 1 (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 12, 2015
They offer plenty of opportunity for advancement, and are willing to teach you anything you want to know. Referring to members is a primary function of this job.
great place to work
Branch Employee (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 7, 2015
VACU is a great place to work. They offer good benefits and paid time off as well as 401K match. The company cares about its employees and creates a great work environment.
Fast pace and fun to work for.
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VASeptember 26, 2014
Helping people manage their money was quite enjoyable. People would always express how I made their day.
Pros
geting to see new faces every day.
Cons
handeling cash and coins can become very dirty.
Virginia Credit is a good place to work. They have employee night with free meal and entertainment, they have a night where they give awards.
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 18, 2014
A typicla day at the Virginia Credit Union branch where I worked was constructive. The day began with everyone getting their cash boxes out and booting up their computers. My co-workers were good team mates and we would help each other with different sales and referrals. The hardest part of the day was when the the member traffic slowed down, but there were things for us to do. I would say the most enjoyable part of the day was when the members came in (I knew most of them personally) and there were fun exchanges between them and our staff.
Pros
we were offered little things like $5.00 gift certicates for doing so many referrals, free dinners for doing the most financial service referrals for the branch, they give awards for various things such as employee of the quarter and for the year.
Cons
sometimes there was not enough help when needed. for example vacations, days off, short staff.
A very large credit union
Senior Loan Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 14, 2014
I have learned many skills and gained valuable experience during my employment with Virginia Credit Union.
Great place to work if you like sales
Teller II (Former Employee) –  Farmville VAFebruary 3, 2014
Work with customers on a daily basis, meeting their banking needs by either answering or referring their financial questions to the appropriate individuals. Securing the financial institution nightly. Responding to customer inquiries regarding account balances. Responsible for ordering the branch money on a bi-weekly basis.
Ordered branch supplies as needed. Filled in for the Teller Supervisor as needed this includes balancing the vault, filling the TCD’s and selling or buying money from the tellers as needed. Was also the contact for community outreach at this branch, set out the collection boxes and tried to get the branch involved. The hardest part of this job was the down time and trying to find something to do to make the day go by.
Pros
great members and liked that the corporation was very involved in helping the community
Cons
no breaks and sometimes no lunch
VACU cares about their members.
Lending Advisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 30, 2013
VACU is a great place to work compared to the other financial institutions I've worked for. The members are valued and their feedback is heard. My co-workers are great and management is fair. I enjoy working with the members and assisting them with lending decisions. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help someone when they are enduring a difficult economy and job market.
Fun environment, great community
Lending Advisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 7, 2013
A positive workplace to grow and expand. I've had the ability to grow and expand with the guidance of incredible management. I've excelled and grown professionally and personally.
Horrible
Mortgage Division (Former Employee) –  Mortgage DivisonJune 21, 2013
Such a nice credit union with a Mortgage Division that is infected by a limited few that have absolutely crushed Moral, Attitude, and Personal Character.

Sales Leadership Incompetent. Operations Leadership on a Self Destruct Mission. Mortgage Division turnover HUGE for a reason. Racial inequality a Problem. TEAM is a such a Hollow word through out the division.

Again, Such a nice Credit Union with a Mortgage Division with Stage 3 cancer.
Pros
great parking
Cons
absolutely horrible moral
Fun place to work
teller (Former Employee) –  richmond, vaJune 19, 2013
Loved coming in and interacting with the members. Helped with daily transactions and products that would benefit the member financially. Closed drawer out every evening with in the balance guidelines.
Pros
pay was great, benefits were great, and the people were awesome
Mortgage sales is a horrible work environment for any person
Loan officer (Former Employee) –  richmond VaMay 14, 2013
Mortgage sales is a horrible work environment for any person

I worked in realist ate sales; current management is very difficult to work with. They con and scheme together/micro manage/ discriminate act. U DON’T WANT TO WORK THERE!!! Especially in real-estate sales under the current management. This department lost 60% of their sales team in one month.
Pros
non
Cons
leader ship is a joke
Micro managed by "executive team", Managers have no say
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  richmond vaMarch 8, 2013
long work days in the branches,, short staffed, they take staff from busy loactions toplace in slow branches. Branches are micro managed, manageeers cannot make any decisions without area manager approval. Members make very demanding request and are always right, no support from upper managers. Be prepaired to stay all day when it snows or bad weather, upper management does care about assocites. Support teams are not friendly or helpful!

no negoation for salary or for increases!
Cons
linited lunches, very weak benefits, micro managed, long hours
Stable company with above-average benefits. Some great long-time employees
lower management (Former Employee) –  richmondFebruary 27, 2013
It was an enjoyable job until the branches became too short-staffed, due to atrition. Most employees work well together- as a team, despite that rapid growth of the credit union. Each day was different- new and exciting problems to solve
Pros
good benefits, employee education
Cons
hard to take full lunchtime, due to pressing issues to solve
great community base
Supervisor I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 18, 2012
Customer service is key, helping everyday people get ahead. Hardest part of the job was poor management and little support from senior managers.
Pros
ability to help others
Cons
lack of support from upper management
Very Employee and Member Service Centered
Account Consultant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VANovember 12, 2012
Internal and External interaction mirrors one another for great serviceability. The employees from top to bottom are nice to work with.
Team oriented, collaborative and member and employee focued organization that was run with highly experienced leaders at all levels.
Vice President, IT Strategy and Governance (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 31, 2012
A place that encouraged individuality, creativity, new ideas, process improvement and career progression and highly focused on education.

It's managed by experienced leaders at all levels who work hard and who appreciate employees at all levels.

Employees are self motivated and are always prepared to serve their members (customers) with all their financial needs - they truy believe in their well being - that is the culture at this organization at all levels.

There were challenges all the time that I had to overcome - but nothing I can say that I did not overcome - becasue I had the tools, resources and encouragement.

It was fun to work there - great work and life balance - lots of employee acknowledgement and rewards and recogniztion at all levels.
Pros
career advacement, feedom of speech, education and new ideas were always encouraged.
Cons
smaller raises
I was a dedicated employee and took great pride in my postion and ability levels
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 20, 2012
While an employee at VACU I had a multitude of various positions in different departments over the thirteen year tenure. Based on personal work ethics, I always gave my best and wanted to learn my duties thoroughly. I preferred to do the job right the first time. Helping members was rewarding for me as I took this responsibility seriously.
Pros
great benefit package, department lunches
Cons
too many "clicks" and inside politics, lack of true recognition for job performance
Overall good company to work for
Branch Member Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 15, 2012
Overall good company to work for, great compensation and benefits.