Virginia Department of Taxation Employee Reviews in United States

Great group of people, love working with people
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VirginiaSeptember 16, 2015
A typical day at work, your get a assignment put on your desk what modular you go in. You basically work on your own. You know what to do once you are given your assignment. The job was easy nothing hard about it , you keying all day long. The most enjoyable part of the day is talking with your fellow employees.
Quiet place to work
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 11, 2015
A stern work environment but one that allows for flexabiliblty. If there are any family issues you are able to attend to those issues as soon as they arise.
Great work environment
Customer Service Representative/VA Amnesty Program (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 3, 2015
Even though it was a seasonal position. I learned a lot about Taxation and Taxation Laws in the State of Virginia. As it pertained to individuals and business owners and government. Introduced to government legislation and laws.
data entry
Data Capture Operator (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 29, 2015
Entered figures in the computer all day; data entry. Learned to increase my keystrokes. Management was easy to talk to. Hardest part of the day was entering data non stop your entire shift.
Making a difference
Auditor I (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 5, 2015
Working for the Department of Taxation will not bring you wealth or fame. What you will get is a sense of pride. Pride in knowing that your work matters and effects real change. Taxation Department brings in over 70% of the states revenue. Revenue that is then turned around to fund government projects likes roads, schools, and job creation.

Yes, to the public we are often met with resistance because face it, no one likes paying taxes. Unfortunately paying taxes are a necessary evil. Virginia Department of Taxation handles business taxes such as Withholdings, Sales and Uses, Litter, and Corporation taxes. We also handle the annual Individual Income Tax filing. There are also a number of special taxes such as aircraft and watercraft tax.
Pros
healthcare, paid holidays, and job security
Cons
raises must be approved by general assembly and pay not equal to private secter
Great place to work to gain knowledge about state taxes.
Senior Financial Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 25, 2014
The Dept of Taxation is a great place to work. Its where I have sharpened my customer service skills.
Pros
great benefits and all state holidays
Cons
no raises
Great place to work.
Office Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 4, 2014
THere was never a dull moment. There was something new to learn everyday. The peak season is an extremely busy time period. There is tons of work to be done.
Non-Filer Department
Sr. Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 26, 2014
performed various audits & tax analyst on Virginia residents state taxes
Pros
learning va state tax laws
Cons
low salary
Data Capture
DATA CAPTURE OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 7, 2014
A typical day is we are assigned what they want us to do. Go into the system and work that until its done and then get a new assignment.
Pros
for the state with holidays
Cons
thru a temp agency with no benefits
Va Dept of Tax
Oracle Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 22, 2013
I interviewed and earned a volunteer position with the Dept. of Taxation my senior year of high school. I worked in the infrastructure department. I d simple Oracle queries and did a presentation of the then new ORACLE 10g Database. I worked every other day instead of attended class I went to work.
Pros
professional setting w/ database administrators
nice place to work
Error Resolver (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 2, 2013
I like this place. empoyee are very cooperative & helpful. Lot of career prospects. Living expenses is cheap as well .
Resolving difficult tax issues with consumers using outstanding helping skills
Customer Service Representative Senior (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 30, 2013
Resolved difficult collection issues and prepared Virginia income tax returns for 30-42 walk-in customers. Exceeded monthly walk-in quota consistently at 97%, resulting in 23 “Customer Service Awards” for excellent customer service, communication skills, problem resolution and politeness. Trained 5 new Customer Service Representatives and 2 associates. Served as unit liaison, collaborated with internal departments, and external State agencies to ensure conformance with accounting guidelines/procedures, and reporting activities, resulting in “Customer Service Letter of Appreciation” from 2 Virginia Governors.
Pros
interaction with consumers, giving excellent customer service
Cons
short breaks or no break
Seasonal Work
Temporary Seasonal Work (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 29, 2013
A typical day of work, 7 am to 3 pm
I learned to type speed over 10,000 keystrokes per hour.
I management typing speed 10 keys.
The hardest part of the job was I followed highlight data keys.
The most enjoyable part of the job is 10 keys and data entry operator.
Pros
30 minutes lunch break. i enjoyed to meeting new people, one deaf guy work there.
Cons
passion work few hours and over time.
Error Resolver (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 22, 2013
Great place to work. almost all employee are very helpful. located in richmond.
Productive and fast pace workplace
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 13, 2013
The Virginia Department of Taxation is a good place to work. Its a productive and fast pace workplace. The people are great and they are always striving for excellence.
Positions/Benefits differ depending on hiring status
Business Error Resolution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 25, 2013
Because it is a state position, hiring status is important to understand before accepting a position. Classified or FT employees gain access to benefits that Wage or "P14" (long term temporary) employees do not. P14s work 1500 hrs (or less per year thereby never qualifying for any benefits such as paid sick time, paid holidays, insurance, etc. They cannot work more than 29 hours a week and if a holiday falls within that week, it may be difficult to make up the lost time because of a preset schedule within these hourly limitations.

The flexibility to see my child off to school in the morning is a bonus for this job as is the ability to take time off without hassle if necessary. In order to have this flexibility, I have no benefits that a full time or "Classified" would be privy to. However, this is my choice.

Co-workers are pleasant enough to each other but don't seem to respect the management. Likewise, management doesn't seem to have much regard for employees. I don't think this is anything new under the sun.

This is a huge organization and it is very possible that the area in which I work is an anomaly. I have no issues with management personally but I have observed others who have.

Because I enjoy working with people, the best part of the job is calling taxpayers and helping them learn how to file correctly so they can eliminate future issues. I enjoy getting calls back from taxpayers thanking me for my help. Considering that I work in an area where people are generally not happy to send us money, I find that extremely complimentary.

It is a very sedentary position;
  more... I choose to go walking during breaks to get some exercise.

The hardest part of any job [for me] is witnessing how some people waste time complaining about how smart they are and how hard they work. However, that seems to be a thread that runs through any job and that aspect of a work environment is best to be taken with a grain of salt if unavoidable.
Pros
flexibility to set a schedule around child care.
Cons
no benefits, limited income and employees have to pay to park on the premises.
Great community environment
Print and Insert Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VirginiaMarch 14, 2013
Operating high speed printers and mailing inserter to ensure that all correspondence is printed, inserted, and mailed in a timely manner. Handling multiple projects at once under a fast paced environment. Preparing work orders, ordering supplies and monthly reports. Multi-tasking between managing print queues, printing work, and inserting work. Resolving complex equipment problems.
Tax is a great place to work
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 21, 2013
I enjoy working for the department of taxation. I work with a great team. I am in the process of taking management classes. The past eight years have been the best.
Pros
learning environment
Cons
no raising in the past eight years
Very Productive
Office Administrative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 17, 2012
This job was an exuberating experience. I gained a sense of knowledge in the Tax Environment.
Pros
casual dress down days on friday
Cons
it were seasonal, once the work was done after a few months then it were over.
Challenging research position with great benefits package
TAX POLICY ANALYST II (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 31, 2012
My work days consist of consistent review of federal, state, and local tax statutes, regulations, policies and guidelines. Our duty is to ensure that state and local audits are conducted according to audit standards and all assessments are support by The Code of Virginia. Our analyst work independently and in teams, depending on the matter at issue. Our staff consists of attorneys, public accountants and auditors. The most enjoyable part of our job is the comradely and team efforts. The hardest part of the job is ensuring the Internal Revenue Code has been properly interpreted.
Pros
great work environment, leave accruals, constant acquisition of knowledge
Cons
limited advancement