Virginia Department of Taxation

Virginia Department of Taxation Employer Reviews

Great place to work.
Office Support Specialist (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJune 4, 2014
THere was never a dull moment. There was something new to learn everyday. The peak season is an extremely busy time period. There is tons of work to be done.
Non-Filer Department
Sr. Tax Analyst (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: learning va state tax laws
Cons: low salary
performed various audits & tax analyst on Virginia residents state taxes
Data Capture
DATA CAPTURE OPERATOR (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: for the state with holidays
Cons: thru a temp agency with no benefits
A typical day is we are assigned what they want us to do. Go into the system and work that until its done and then get a new assignment.
Va Dept of Tax
Oracle Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, VADecember 22, 2013
Pros: professional setting w/ database administrators
I interviewed and earned a volunteer position with the Dept. of Taxation my senior year of high school. I worked in the infrastructure department. I d simple Oracle queries and did a presentation of the then new ORACLE 10g Database. I worked every other day instead of attended class I went to work.
nice place to work
Error Resolver (Former Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 2, 2013
I like this place. empoyee are very cooperative & helpful. Lot of career prospects. Living expenses is cheap as well .
Resolving difficult tax issues with consumers using outstanding helping skills
Customer Service Representative Senior (Former Employee), Richmond, VAAugust 30, 2013
Pros: interaction with consumers, giving excellent customer service
Cons: short breaks or no break
Resolved difficult collection issues and prepared Virginia income tax returns for 30-42 walk-in customers. Exceeded monthly walk-in quota consistently at 97%, resulting in 23 “Customer Service Awards” for excellent customer service, communication skills, problem resolution and politeness. Trained 5 new Customer Service Representatives and 2 associates. – more... Served as unit liaison, collaborated with internal departments, and external State agencies to ensure conformance with accounting guidelines/procedures, and reporting activities, resulting in “Customer Service Letter of Appreciation” from 2 Virginia Governors. – less
Seasonal Work
Temporary Seasonal Work (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 29, 2013
Pros: 30 minutes lunch break. i enjoyed to meeting new people, one deaf guy work there.
Cons: passion work few hours and over time.
A typical day of work, 7 am to 3 pm
I learned to type speed over 10,000 keystrokes per hour.
I management typing speed 10 keys.
The hardest part of the job was I followed highlight data keys.
The most enjoyable part of the job is 10 keys and data entry operator.
Error Resolver (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 22, 2013
Great place to work. almost all employee are very helpful. located in richmond.
Productive and fast pace workplace
Team Leader (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJune 13, 2013
The Virginia Department of Taxation is a good place to work. Its a productive and fast pace workplace. The people are great and they are always striving for excellence.
Positions/Benefits differ depending on hiring status
Business Error Resolution Specialist (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 25, 2013
Pros: flexibility to set a schedule around child care.
Cons: no benefits, limited income and employees have to pay to park on the premises.
Because it is a state position, hiring status is important to understand before accepting a position. Classified or FT employees gain access to benefits that Wage or "P14" (long term temporary) employees do not. P14s work 1500 hrs (or less per year thereby never qualifying for any benefits such as paid sick time, paid holidays, insurance, etc. They – more... cannot work more than 29 hours a week and if a holiday falls within that week, it may be difficult to make up the lost time because of a preset schedule within these hourly limitations.

The flexibility to see my child off to school in the morning is a bonus for this job as is the ability to take time off without hassle if necessary. In order to have this flexibility, I have no benefits that a full time or "Classified" would be privy to. However, this is my choice.

Co-workers are pleasant enough to each other but don't seem to respect the management. Likewise, management doesn't seem to have much regard for employees. I don't think this is anything new under the sun.

This is a huge organization and it is very possible that the area in which I work is an anomaly. I have no issues with management personally but I have observed others who have.

Because I enjoy working with people, the best part of the job is calling taxpayers and helping them learn how to file correctly so they can eliminate future issues. I enjoy getting calls back from taxpayers thanking me for my help. Considering that I work in an area where people are generally not happy to send us money, I find that extremely complimentary.

It is a very sedentary position; I choose to go walking during breaks to get some exercise.

The hardest part of any job [for me] is witnessing how some people waste time complaining about how smart they are and how hard they work. However, that seems to be a thread that runs through any job and that aspect of a work environment is best to be taken with a grain of salt if unavoidable. – less
Great community environment
Print and Insert Coordinator (Current Employee), Richmond, VirginiaMarch 14, 2013
Operating high speed printers and mailing inserter to ensure that all correspondence is printed, inserted, and mailed in a timely manner. Handling multiple projects at once under a fast paced environment. Preparing work orders, ordering supplies and monthly reports. Multi-tasking between managing print queues, printing work, and inserting work. Resolving – more... complex equipment problems. – less
Tax is a great place to work
Budget Analyst (Current Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 21, 2013
Pros: learning environment
Cons: no raising in the past eight years
I enjoy working for the department of taxation. I work with a great team. I am in the process of taking management classes. The past eight years have been the best.
Very Productive
Office Administrative (Former Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 17, 2012
Pros: casual dress down days on friday
Cons: it were seasonal, once the work was done after a few months then it were over.
This job was an exuberating experience. I gained a sense of knowledge in the Tax Environment.
Challenging research position with great benefits package
TAX POLICY ANALYST II (Current Employee), Richmond, VAAugust 31, 2012
Pros: great work environment, leave accruals, constant acquisition of knowledge
Cons: limited advancement
My work days consist of consistent review of federal, state, and local tax statutes, regulations, policies and guidelines. Our duty is to ensure that state and local audits are conducted according to audit standards and all assessments are support by The Code of Virginia. Our analyst work independently and in teams, depending on the matter at issue. – more... Our staff consists of attorneys, public accountants and auditors. The most enjoyable part of our job is the comradely and team efforts. The hardest part of the job is ensuring the Internal Revenue Code has been properly interpreted. – less
Key taxes daily on line.
Data Capture Operator (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJune 1, 2012
Pros: the support of management and staff, comradere with co-workers
Cons: part time position, no accumulate time
A typical day at the Department of Taxation as a Data Capture Operator is continuous keying and verifying tax documents on line. This position is data entry at the maximum level. The learning experience in the department allows one to understand the different levels of tax documentation for individual, estate as well as corporate taxes. The management – more... is well advised of the procedures needed to ensure proper processing and is eager to share required information for the success of the employee. The majority of coworkers are very helpful and often there is a pleasant atmosphere in the workplace. The hardest part of the job is the images are sometimes distorted and the system slow down production since most of the data is on a timed basis. The most enjoyable part of the job is the coworkers and managerial support system and the atmosphere. – less
Demanding and Stressful Environment
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee), Richmond, VirginiaMay 21, 2012
Pros: management was great. a team atmosphere
Cons: code of virginia needs to be updated
During my time with the state, the demands on taxes can be difficult. Taxes are specific with not a lot of le-way for flexibity. Explaining these issues to business and taxpayers can be a demanding and rigerious undertaking.
Entered individual, joint and company tax informaton into microsoft program to generate income tax refund checks
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee), Richmond VAMay 15, 2012
Pros: breaks
Cons: seasonal, no benefits
Date entry work all day. Data keystrokes improved. Keying information from scan images were a little hard because of poor scanning.