Virginia Department of Transportation

Virginia Department of Transportation Employer Reviews

Great company to work for
Traffic Control Operator (Current Employee), Salem, VAMarch 13, 2015
Pros: gained knowledge of va highway systems
Cons: limited employees
Monitor active traffic, facilitate incident management. Ensure civilian and contractor safety during emergency situations. Operate a multi-frequency radio and computer-aided dispatch system. Receive and screen emergency and non-emergency calls from local and state police. Relay information to command personnel, contractors, or safety service patrol, as appropriate. During weather events, provide logistical support for VDOT emergency crews to minimize weather impacts to travel. Manage traffic in construction work zones and during special events. Provide the public accurate and timely travel information.
I was treated very well with respect and courtesy
Equipment Repair Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: great organization i would return if the situation changes
Cons: no cons
A typical work day changed from busy to routine work.

I learned how success is achieved and a network of good relationships.

Management and Leadership activities empowering staff.

My coworkers are professionals and we had a great relationships.

The most difficult part of the job was the high demand for high volume work load.

I enjoyed the job staff management and the organization as a whole was great.
Not much advancement
Control Room Operator (Former Employee), Chester, VirginiaFebruary 18, 2015
• Responsible for monitoring systems and dispatching appropriate resources to detected and/or reported traffic/roadway - incidents; including coordination of safety personnel and location assistance to first responders.
• Familiarity with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field.

Hectic at times, management mediocre, miscommunication issues, etc
This was a good company to work for. I got to meet a lot of people
Administrative and Office Specialist II (Former Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: the job was very flexiable
Cons: good benefits
Productive Company I enjoyed working for them. I learned a lot while working for them. I learned a lot about the computer. I also learned how to work the switch board. I got along with my co-workers. I like the job I had because I got to work independently.
Big organization
Procurement Officer (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VADecember 5, 2014
Pros: learning
Cons: management
My typical day consisted of coming in and processing mountains of contracts, extensions, RFP's and IFB's. I learned how to merge the financial documents with the bids or proposals. The management was not supportive of its people and what they wanted to accomplish. My coworkers were easy to work with and to get along with. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the management. I enjoyed learning about how the state government worked with regards to procurement.
not bad
Charles Thompson Supervisor (Current Employee), Amherst, VASeptember 10, 2014
Pros: overtime in winter
Cons: hot in the summer
not bac to work for excepot working in all kinds of extreme weather
Great Job
Program Administration Specialist I (Current Employee), Chester, VASeptember 8, 2014
On a normal day I come in and review emails or phone calls that might have been missed while I was out. Then I look at the schedule and see what needs to be done for today and in preparartion for the next day.

I schedule meetings and enter data of training that workers have completed. I also intsruct leadership and team building classes when they are needed. It's a great place to be and and I have learned a lot from the short time that I have been here.
Great co-workers
HR Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Suffolk, VAJuly 20, 2014
Pros: own office
Cons: no benefits
Busy with new hires, and retirees. Posting and reposting job positions. Receptionist duties.
VDOT
Program Administrator (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJune 9, 2014
Pros: downtown location; benefits; schedule
Cons: poor work culture;
Typical Government job: Decent Pay; excellent benefits; extremely unfullfilling and constantly dealing with lazy or incompetent coworkers/management.
Fast-pace - Reassignment during emeregencies
Accounting Technician (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VAMay 3, 2014
Pros: learning new accounting software system
Cons: shrt breaks and long severe weather hours
A typical work day ranged from one of 40 or more invoices for prompt payment, 3-4 consultant invoices, 6 -7 employee travel authorizations, over 300 invoices to file. This was one of District offices and there were several area headquarters and residency of the department sent their paperwork to be approved and filed. All the files were maintained in the accounts payable department. I gained the knowledge of the Cardinal software system and the small purchase charge cards. The most enjoyable part was the interaction with co-workers and learning another part of accounting by actually performing the fucntion. The hardest part of the job was getting use to becoming a emergency operator montir during serever weather and the long night hours.
Good Company
Transportation Operator II (Hourly) (Former Employee), Richmond, VAApril 28, 2014
Enjoyed my positions. I learned alot this is all I have to say.
Toll Booth Operator (Former Employee), Richmond, VAApril 15, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: short breaks, co-worker late you can't leave until they arrive.
Learned how to recongized axles on cars,vans and trucks. While working at the Toll Booth I was able to work day shift only
Good
Electrical Helper (Former Employee), Suffolk, VAApril 8, 2014
Pros: work
Cons: work
it was good
I
it was fun
I had fun honestly and im kind of just writing this to get me finished with
Team player enviroment.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Colonial Heights, VAJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: no benefits
Process a/p vouchers, organize, file and maintain order for entire office. Assist other co-workers with their various needs. Create Journal Vouchers. Review State and Federal account codes to ensure accuracy of charges.
Excellent advancement opportunities
General Administrative Supervisor/Coordinator I (Former Employee), Richmond, VANovember 23, 2013
Great place to work with advancement opportunities. Opportunities for learning job skills is superb. I learned SharePoint and become the primary power user/business owner for the division portal. In addition, I gained experience in the new state financial system- Cardinal.
This job gave me the most responsibility, which is why I thorougly enjoyed working for this company
Command Systems Operator (Former Employee), Richmond, VAApril 19, 2013
There was never a set routine for this job. On any given day I would be handling service requests, to creating badges, to dispatching paramedics to a heart attack victim. I always stayed busy and learned new things everyday.
Interesting work during the legislative session.
Senior Policy Analyst (Current Employee), Richmond, VAApril 5, 2013
I do enjoy working with legislation during the General Assembly session. Always something new and exciting. Everyone works hard for a common goal.
Hard but enjoying
Flagger/Ditcher (Former Employee), Smithfield, VAMarch 5, 2013
Pros: paid holidays
Cons: short breaks, cold and hot environment
Hard work but got along well with my co-workers. Very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer, but my company was always concerned about they're employees.
Good experience
Transportation Engineer (Current Employee), Salem, VAFebruary 7, 2013
Great company to work for. Hardest part of job is thinking out of the box to solve traffic problems.
great coworkers
TO2 (Current Employee), clifton forge,vaJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: great work hours
Cons: fairness
not a bad place to work. 3 or4 co-worker got speical treatment and it wasnt hidin at all. money could be better. public hates ya when you stop traffic in the summer but your a god send in the winter when your plowing snow off there roads

About Virginia Department of Transportation

The common good of the Commonwealth of Virginia falls under the purview of the Office of the Governor. The office is responsible – Read more

Virginia Department of Transportation Salaries