Virginia Hospital Center

Virginia Hospital Center Employee Reviews

great hospital
Radiology Technologist (Current Employee), Arlington, VAMay 9, 2015
great place to work. staff is outgoing and always willing to help. management works with you to make schedule in case you have things planned out.it can get busy but everyone works together and gets the work done
Job as a RN
RN (Former Employee), Arlington, VAMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Terrific hospital providing superior care to patients.
Cons: Lower wages compared to other hospitals in the DC area.
Working at VHC was a excellent experience. VHC became a Magnent Hospital and a Center for Excellence in several areas while I worked at the hospital.
Analyst
Sr. Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Arlongton, VAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: staff
I have worked at this company for 5 years. I have had an excellent experience working with staff. Management is second to none. Long hours but extremely rewarding.
Great Hospital for patients, not so much for employees
Clinical Anesthesia Technician - Cardiovascular (Current Employee), Arlington, VAFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: good staff, and good patient care. not a bad cafeteria either.
Cons: poor management, and high turnover for employees. benefits are fair.
There are some great people working at this hospital. And the service patients get is actually quite good. As a staff member though, there is noticeably bad management and poor pay. Annual raise is anywhere between 1-3 percent. Employee satisfaction is very low. There is considerable employee turnover in many departments. They are always hiring new people because of this.
Great Patient Care Director
Lecture & Clinical Instructor - Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 12, 2015
Usually busy work days, cowokers arvery surppotive, high turn over of patients, its a rewarding field, Magnet Hopsital and enjoyable work place
Long hours, poor management, brow beaten daily
Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee), Arlington, VAFebruary 1, 2015
Department expecations very unrealistic. Poor training. Overload of work vs pay. Often difficult to take a lunch break, let alone 15 min. lunch.
Micromanagement to the extreme. Overall morale in the department
was always low.
Awesome place to work
Charge Nurse/Staff Nurse (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJanuary 28, 2015
Busy, but excellent learning environment and place to work! I have worked at Virginia Hospital Center for the past five years and I have grown and learned a lot in my nursing career.
Hospital Goal to make patients satisfied
Staff Nurse, RN (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: free parking
Cons: long hours
I have worked at VHC for 27 years. I have watched the growth. Patients tell us every day it is the only place they will come. We strive to satisfy each patient and make it a good experience for them.
Great
Medical Technologist II (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great cafeteria
Beautiful hospital, good management overview, nice co-workers,always opportunity to learn
challenging but fulfilling job.
bsn,rn (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: free parking
Cons: no time for break if you have it not free from the unit;taken out whether you use it or not
you have to sign up for schedules that you want and they'll consider it on their own staffing needs you may mostly get it at times. short of staff that vacation not being given as requested despite lots of vacation time earned. they encouraged advancement. my coworkers are like my family, we help each other out especially in scheduling but that had been curved lately ? for better control of scheduling and budgeting but harder on the unit. lots of willing staff to work extra but.... always very busy lots of turnovers-stressful but once you completed it, you felt good despite the stress that you were able to do it and did a good service to your patients. very good team work with therapists and case manager. improving with having a dietitian on board for the unit specifically to help lately. good support given by the doctors/surgeons, residents, and some nurse practitioners or physician assistants.
great place to work
clerk (Current Employee), Arlington VaJanuary 16, 2015
Productive and great place to work easy to move on, great co-workers, but there is a lot of heavy lifting, but great hours.
Busy, challenging work environment
Unit Secretary, Labor and Delivery (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: supportive, pleasant work environment
Cons: too far from my home
I work two 12 hour shifts a week (part time) in the Labor and Delivery Department. My day is busy and challenging. It is fast paced with a variety of responsibilities. The ability to multi-task is essential. I've learned the various computer programs that help manage the activities of the day.

My co-workers and management team are outstanding. They are very caring, supportive and truly dedicated to patient/family care. This environment contributes to the enjoyable part of my job as well as the happy moments when a new baby is born.

The hardest part of my job is when several patients arrive at once to be checked in (2 to 4 at a time). However, the staff (nurses, techs) do not hesitate to step up and assist with the process.
Very difficult place to work.
MRI Technologist (Former Employee), MRIJanuary 2, 2015
Very difficult to work there. Employees work hard but you work against a survey. No gratification from the administration for the work you do. Your job is always on the line. Very high employee turnover rate.
Extremely Skilled Radiographers
2nd Year Student (Current Employee), Arlington, VADecember 27, 2014
The Radiographers here know a lot of tricks and methods to improve their radiographs. They take educating students seriously.
Assist with all surgical procedures. Careful attention to all specimens.
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee), Arlington VaDecember 23, 2014
Good Place to work. Takes great care of their patients. Excellent coworkers.
Depending on the unit/department, it could be very stressful.
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee), Arlington, VANovember 21, 2014
Pros: great health insurance
Cons: high stress
The only good side to working at VHC is the great benefits. Working as a PCA is extremely stressful, and we are always short staffed.
Great place for a bedside nurse.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Arlington, VANovember 11, 2014
Pros: fair pay and quality staff.
Cons: healthcare reform has put a low ceiling on benefits.
I enjoyed the work environment. Sufficient equipment and staffing.
High turnover, difficult management, good coworkers
Staff RN (Current Employee), Arlington,VAOctober 30, 2014
Pros: strong marketing dept, good co-workers
Cons: high turnover rate, very political environment, poor it, difficult to approach management
Seemed like a great place to work at first but after being here, have noticed this place has many more problems than strong points.
Biggest problems include:
1) High employee turnover rate - constantly losing good nurses, physicians (more than 5 hospital employed hospitalists left in past 6 months), IR physicians leaving right and left. This is due to a culture of unsustainable expectations, being overworked and underpaid and attitude by management that employees are replaceable parts.
2) Lack of support from management - Leaders concerned about making money and not about employee satisfaction. Leads to fear from employees.
3) Overworked - Increasing patient load, constantly increasing expectations with no increase in salary
4) Poor IT Dept - Still with handwritten physician notes
5) Strained Nurse-Physician Relationships - Most physicians are polite, respectful but a handful of the older physicians are rude and disrespectful to nurses. Management won't do anything since these physicians are senior in experience and all friendly with upper managements.
6) Very political working environment - Lots of drama during daily interactions. Knew one coworker who got on the bad side of nursing administrator and they made sure her daily work experience was miserable, essentially forcing her to leave. On the contrary, I've seen people slide by with worse things since they are in good favors with hospital management.
One of nation's top 100 hospitals
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee), Arlington, VAOctober 28, 2014
Good place to work. Has the DiVinci robot. Needs more managers for the operating room. Has a nurse fellowship program. Needs more surgical technologists.
A good place to work for caring for mothers and infants
Staff RN - Mother Baby Unit (Former Employee), Arlington, VAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: enjoyable place to work, competitive salary
Cons: short lunch breaks depending on patient load
I was always learning new ways to transition mothers and infants to go home. My co-workers were very supportive and energetic.

1 2 3 4 5