Virginia Hospital Center

Virginia Hospital Center Employer Reviews

Depending on the unit/department, it could be very stressful.
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee), Arlington, VANovember 21, 2014
Pros: great health insurance
Cons: high stress
The only good side to working at VHC is the great benefits. Working as a PCA is extremely stressful, and we are always short staffed.
Great place for a bedside nurse.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Arlington, VANovember 11, 2014
Pros: fair pay and quality staff.
Cons: healthcare reform has put a low ceiling on benefits.
I enjoyed the work environment. Sufficient equipment and staffing.
High turnover, difficult management, good coworkers
Staff RN (Current Employee), Arlington,VAOctober 30, 2014
Pros: strong marketing dept, good co-workers
Cons: high turnover rate, very political environment, poor it, difficult to approach management
Seemed like a great place to work at first but after being here, have noticed this place has many more problems than strong points.
Biggest problems include:
1) High employee turnover rate - constantly losing good nurses, physicians (more than 5 hospital employed hospitalists left in past 6 months), IR physicians leaving right and left. This is due – more... to a culture of unsustainable expectations, being overworked and underpaid and attitude by management that employees are replaceable parts.
2) Lack of support from management - Leaders concerned about making money and not about employee satisfaction. Leads to fear from employees.
3) Overworked - Increasing patient load, constantly increasing expectations with no increase in salary
4) Poor IT Dept - Still with handwritten physician notes
5) Strained Nurse-Physician Relationships - Most physicians are polite, respectful but a handful of the older physicians are rude and disrespectful to nurses. Management won't do anything since these physicians are senior in experience and all friendly with upper managements.
6) Very political working environment - Lots of drama during daily interactions. Knew one coworker who got on the bad side of nursing administrator and they made sure her daily work experience was miserable, essentially forcing her to leave. On the contrary, I've seen people slide by with worse things since they are in good favors with hospital management. – less
One of nation's top 100 hospitals
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee), Arlington, VAOctober 28, 2014
Good place to work. Has the DiVinci robot. Needs more managers for the operating room. Has a nurse fellowship program. Needs more surgical technologists.
A good place to work for caring for mothers and infants
Staff RN - Mother Baby Unit (Former Employee), Arlington, VAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: enjoyable place to work, competitive salary
Cons: short lunch breaks depending on patient load
I was always learning new ways to transition mothers and infants to go home. My co-workers were very supportive and energetic.
Nice place to work
surgical tech (Current Employee), Arlington, TXSeptember 27, 2014
I take pride in my field of expertise, maintaining sterile field and working along side the doctors and staff.
PRODUCTIVE / FUN PLACE TO WORK
PCA (Former Employee), Arlington, VASeptember 16, 2014
Pros: holiday parties, gifts for employees
Cons: short breaks, end of year bonuses
A typical at work was when I get really busy and thought the day never ends, but what I did was go to the break room, take a deep breath, drink a glass of water and just think I love my job and ready to work, I learned that there are lots of opportunities and the company is ready to give these opportunities to their employees. The management was good. – more... My supervisor was always there to listen and answer any questions we had. I missed my co-workers, we had team work, we work and helped each other which made the environment pleasant to work. we were like a family but had to relocate for other reasons. The hardest part of the job is when we are short. Yet we try to be there for our clients. Most enjoyable part is when we come together to have lunch, pot lock, and other fun activities. – less
interesting place to work
MRI Technologist (Current Employee), Arlington, VASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: new 3t siemens scanner, some free health care, hourly wage, current supervisor very helpful
Cons: training lacking for new hires, lunch not available daily
culturally diversity, great waterfall to eat by, has a subway connected to cafeteria.
typical day very busy, can be over book for patients at times. There are Three scanners; however, each is scheduled 13-16 out-patients daily for out-patients, not enough time allotted for the care of in-patients.
I have learned how to use the wedge cushions to help – more... better elevate patients head, using the head coil. I was allowed to train on the 3T Siemen's scanner.
Co-workers are better now that their stress level has lessen with the hiring of contractors.
I cant really think if there is really a hard part. I take it has a learning curve on the job, because each place of employment is different. the environments are different so I learn to adapt.
the most enjoyable part of my job: is helping patients take care of their health needs and hearing them say "thank you for taking care me" , that's make a great day and put a smile on my face. Then I know I have done my job. – less
Great place to work.
Staff Nurse on Medical Surgical Unit (Former Employee), Arlington, VASeptember 10, 2014
Pros: tuition assistance and in-hospital training; good 401k.
Cons: sometime hectic workload, especially with fresh post-operative patients.
Virginia Hospital Center is an excellent place to work. The teaching environment is ideal for new nurses and nurses who want to advance their careers. The nurses and physicians were only too willing to share their knowledge and expertise. Everyone was given responsibilities and the opportunities as a part of a cohesive team.

I would never have left – more... had my husband's job not warrant it. – less
Horrible place to work as an ultrasound technologist
General Ultrasound Technologist (Former Employee), Arlington, VASeptember 8, 2014
Pros: beautiful facility and decent food, nice location.
Cons: upperl, middle and lower management is horrible.
As long as the manager who has worked there from 2012 onward is still employed stay as far away as possible! Twelve people quit the first year she was hired.
difficult labor practices and HR
General Engineer (Current Employee), Arlington, VASeptember 5, 2014
very uncaring HR staff. You can be fired for anonymous complaints. The management has no interest in the truth or spending money to make a safer work environment for engineers or housekeepers.
I enjoyed being there
medical records clerk (Former Employee), Arlington, VASeptember 2, 2014
scanning the charts, mailing document to the doctors and patient, sending files to the warehouse, helping the front desk, data entry, electric filing
Awesome Place to work
Mammography Technologist (Former Employee), Arlington, VASeptember 1, 2014
Awesome Place to work. This company takes care of their employees as well as putting patients above all else. Beautiful neat and very clean facility. Careering management, excellent benefits and pay, Professionalism among co-workers, everyone generally gets along well. Easy and convenient for patients to be seen right away. Steadily busy in all modalities.
Great company with great benefits
Unit Secretary (Current Employee), Arlington, VAAugust 18, 2014
Pros: free lunch, great benefits, tuition reimburstment
Cons: lunch breaks are short, management
A typical day at work is taking care of patients needs with bathing, feeding and taking them to bathroom. If the nurses need any help they call on you the smallest task.
Excellent place to work, encouraging, flexible professional
Human Resources -Certified Talent Plus Analyst (Current Employee), Arlington, VAAugust 12, 2014
VHC has a great atmosphere to work. Employees are happy, go getters. Currently, I interview all possible employees and recommend whether to further the hiring process.
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJuly 30, 2014
VHC has a care driven work environment with great benefits and many opportunities.
Over All review
Data Warehouse Architect (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJuly 4, 2014
Virginia Hospital Center is an awesome place to work. Excellent leadership, excellent culture and brilliant people.
Fast paced work environment
Purchasing Coordinator (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJune 26, 2014
Fast paced work environment that has helped develop excellent communication skills. However, there is no room for growth within current department.
AWFUL place to work
Technologist (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJune 26, 2014
Pros: benefits
Management is degrading and awful to employees. the only good thing about working here is the benefits.
Great learning experience
Health Promotion Contractor (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJune 23, 2014
Perfect learning hospital to gain your skills and knowledge.

1 2 3 4