Virginia Hospital Center Employee Reviews

Great Benefits. Horrible management. Horrendous work culture.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 6, 2017
I have worked at VHC for about two years in two different departments. Both of those environments have been nothing but toxic and unprofessional. While great benefits are a plus, work atmosphere and management will weigh on you. Not to mention the discrimination.
Benefits
Cons
Management/
It's a job
Worker (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 1, 2017
It's a good company for clinical people. Good stepping stone for some. Friendly staff and managers. It is a good place to work BUT I wouldn't stay here for a while, because I see little advancement.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No benefits for Part-Time, pay, no certification reimbursement
Revenue Auditor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 26, 2017
Great place to work in general. Managers are willing to make it a better place for other employees. A place where patients comes first in any circumstances.
Pros
Good health insurance
Cons
Unsignificant raises
Medical Staff
Credentialing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 24, 2016
The new manager was the worst micro management. People seemed very frustrated in most departments. High turn over lack of training for new staff expected old staff to do management jobs. Lied about raise and growth opportunities.
Pros
Leave and pay
Great work experience
Sonographer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 7, 2017
As a relatively new Sonographer I learned a lot at VHC because I was expected to a little of everything. Aside from imaging out-pt's, in-pt's, and ER pt's in the main Ultrasound Department I learned how to deal with a busy portable schedule involving the NICU, Vent Unit, CCU, ICU etc. The work was demanding but rewarding and I became a much better Sonographer. The Radiologists were friendly and inspired me b/c they were willing to educate. I would be willing to work there again.
Pros
Collabrative enviornment.
Cons
Each day was non-stop.
Good place too work
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 30, 2016
In typical work day at VHC expect the unexpected, because you never know what can happen. If you enjoy working in a fast placed environment and like helping people VHC could possibly be the place for you. This job isn't easy, but the satisfaction will come when you put a smile on a patients face.
Pros
The feeling of accomplishment when you help someone.
Do not work in here
worker (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 25, 2016
I started looking for another job six months after I got in here. Terrible management. Terrible bosses. No training provided, they expect you to learn on the job. I felt so relieved when I got out of this hospital.
Pros
Cons
parking, long hours, terrible bosses
I love working there
data entry (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 2, 2017
checking patient's in and out, filing, answering the phone, helping the doctor with there patient, taking patient to L & D, to have there baby, packing the paper files to be shipped to the wear house, pulling file for the next two day, front desk work, calling doctor and patient for informing, so admiration work, placing orders for the doctor and office
Pros
yes we had free lunch, partys for the staff and employees
Meeting new people every day
Environmental Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 15, 2016
I love meeting new people every day. However, Alco, Inc is a Storage Facility Company therefore, I worked alone. Sometimes it was just too quiet. This company didn't like for you to have company come visit even though they required us Managers to live on site
Pros
No Traffic
Cons
Lonely
unknown
Insurance Verification Representative (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 21, 2017
Haven't worked here in years. Do not know what the work environment is like now. Had a baby during my employment, they were very helpful with my schedule.

Want to know more about Virginia Hospital Center?

Ask a question
Great service
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 20, 2017
Great hospital with nice nurses and doctors. They operate in a timely manner. A very clean environment. Top of the line equipment to help sick patients.
Pros
Fairly long breaks
Cons
healthcare
Student Nurse
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VANovember 20, 2016
Nurses were friendly and willing to help the student nurses learn, they work as a team and love helping their patients. Morning meetings would help everyone to get acquainted with their patients and a good start for the day ahead.
Nice environment
Student Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 11, 2017
Great for new grads, great team to work with, great continuing ed, fast paced clinic mostly orthopedic and geriatric population, takes most insurance.
Excellent facility and team members with the same goals of patient care
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 27, 2013
Typical shifts were 13-14 hours with overlap. I most enjoyed the team members that I worked with. My team was the greatest example of loyalty, hard work, determination, excellent patient care, going above and beyond for patients and patients families. I learned so many important aspects to caring for patients in the hospital, different treatments, diagnosis, interventions and care. My management was tough, and hard to go to, and it took a great team that I could rely on to help shoulder the blow of having a manager that wasn't as concerned with his team as he was for the administrative side of management.
Pros
Excellent benefits, wonderful hospital, great team of nurses, doctors, nurse assistants and schedule flexibility
Cons
long hours, no breaks, difficulty talking to manager, hard patient load
Great Hospital for patients, not so much for employees
Clinical Anesthesia Technician - Cardiovascular (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 16, 2015
There are some great people working at this hospital. And the service patients get is actually quite good. As a staff member though, there is noticeably bad management and poor pay. Annual raise is anywhere between 1-3 percent. Employee satisfaction is very low. There is considerable employee turnover in many departments. They are always hiring new people because of this.
Pros
Good staff, and good patient care. Not a bad cafeteria either.
Cons
Poor management, and high turnover for employees. Benefits are fair.
Work for the hospital not the Physician Group
Nursing staff (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 21, 2016
Horrible Management, excessive turn overs, no job security, physician does not care about staff. The hospital is a great place to work however the Physician Groups are horrible. Hours great but alot of negativity.
Pros
Great hours!
Cons
Not paid for lunch, open during snow even icy weather.
Productive, stable job in a excellent community
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 27, 2014
Customer/patient/family focused.....
A job culture of genuine enjoyment of taking care of people
Co-workers are friendly, most are extremely helpful
Some managers are wonderful
Some Growth opportunites, especially for clinical staff
Clinical staff makes excellent income
Some general staff make a decent income
Educational opportunities
Top 100, Top 50 hospital in the nation

The hardest part of the job is the lack of consideration to employees...
We go the extra mile to provide an environment of compassion, integrity and superior medical care, but when we are sick or our families are sick - no compassion
Upper and middle management has some work to do in their departments about behaviors.
Some departments have high turnover rates
Salaries could be better, this is an award wining hospital in Arlington County no less and employees are still making $8.00 to $13.00 an hour
Pros
Excellent benefits, job culture with co-workers is great, good area, some parking
Cons
If you are not in the clinical spectrum, your salary is not good. Some managers are horrible...
Amazing
EDT/Greeter (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 11, 2016
I love working here. It's fun and friendly. Friendly work place. Virginia hospital center is like another home to me. My co-workers and i work as a team and care each for each other as a family.
Dead end job
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 8, 2013
Ensuring patients had the most accommodating experience available at VHC. Excellent coworkers most supportive , knowledgeable, individuals from diverse backgrounds. No development of internal staff, leadership not trained to support the department as a whole Division among staff and management. HR is one sided, not there for staff, supports management only. Militaristic environment you are given orders to follow do as told or you are forced out. They will not fire you, however will make your working environment unbearable until your quit.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
management
Great place to work.
Staff Nurse on Medical Surgical Unit (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 10, 2014
Virginia Hospital Center is an excellent place to work. The teaching environment is ideal for new nurses and nurses who want to advance their careers. The nurses and physicians were only too willing to share their knowledge and expertise. Everyone was given responsibilities and the opportunities as a part of a cohesive team.

I would never have left had my husband's job not warrant it.
Pros
Tuition assistance and in-hospital training; good 401k.
Cons
Sometime hectic workload, especially with fresh post-operative patients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Hospital Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9