Virginia Hospital Center Employee Reviews in United States

DO NOT work in Anesthesia Department
Clinical Anesthesia Technician (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 24, 2015
Everyone says that this is a good place to work, but I have yet to experience the better side of this organization. My department has a high turnover rate and we are always short on staff. Our PCD is condescending, dismissive, and has little respect for staff. Overall his attitude is negative and he's unapproachable. He is vindictive and waiting for an oppurtunity to fire you. He takes joy in giving negative feedback. Very defensive. Management has favorites, doesn't trust staff, and will never back you up. Clinicians are never satisfied and always complain. Support staff is continuously abused, overworked, and under appreciated. Any advancement is blocked. I honestly don't want to work in healthcare any longer because of this place.
Pros
Some people are respective.
Cons
No respect, favoritism, low pay, cruel management
Radiology Scheduling Clerk (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 7, 2015
Great place to work. Chance for promotion, and advancement. Truly care for it's employees and offer great benefits also.
Insurance Verification Representative (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 1, 2016
Excellent management-responsive to needs of employees. Nice Work space-time off for lunch or appointments if needed.Limited room for advancement.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Commute to work and parking
Great Hospital for patients, not so much for employees
Clinical Anesthesia Technician - Cardiovascular (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 16, 2015
There are some great people working at this hospital. And the service patients get is actually quite good. As a staff member though, there is noticeably bad management and poor pay. Annual raise is anywhere between 1-3 percent. Employee satisfaction is very low. There is considerable employee turnover in many departments. They are always hiring new people because of this.
Pros
good staff, and good patient care. not a bad cafeteria either.
Cons
poor management, and high turnover for employees. benefits are fair.
Good community hospital and very busy.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 8, 2015
Fast paced Community Hospital. Adding a lot of new Physicians and different Specialist. the volume has increased and need more space to accommodate the volume.
Cons
parking & recent change in benefits
Not all that is promised
registered nurse (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 25, 2015
The patient to nurse ratio is absolutely unsafe. 6:1 is absurd. The units are very understaffed, some do not even have managers at all. The schedule is terrible, be prepared to be married to the company. PTO requests are most of the time denied. You will be called out for every little thing you do. The expectations from the employees are unrealistic. The only good thing about this job is the fellow nurses all stick together. Pick somewhere else to work- this place is terrible.
Work for the hospital not the Physician Group
Nursing staff (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 21, 2016
Horrible Management, excessive turn overs, no job security, physician does not care about staff. The hospital is a great place to work however the Physician Groups are horrible. Hours great but alot of negativity.
Pros
Great hours!
Cons
Not paid for lunch, open during snow even icy weather.
thick skin needed
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 6, 2015
Disorganized.. It really depends on who your manager is. you can have a good manager who follows the rules and everyone is equally treated. you can have a bad manager who doesn't follow rules and does whatever based on the mood of the day. The doctors here are not easy to be pleased, and you'd have better to have a thick skin or you will end up crying your way home. The food court really sucks with bad food.
Pros
bad food, gossipy collegues, mean doctors to work with
Excellent facility and team members with the same goals of patient care
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 27, 2013
Typical shifts were 13-14 hours with overlap. I most enjoyed the team members that I worked with. My team was the greatest example of loyalty, hard work, determination, excellent patient care, going above and beyond for patients and patients families. I learned so many important aspects to caring for patients in the hospital, different treatments, diagnosis, interventions and care. My management was tough, and hard to go to, and it took a great team that I could rely on to help shoulder the blow of having a manager that wasn't as concerned with his team as he was for the administrative side of management.
Pros
excellent benefits, wonderful hospital, great team of nurses, doctors, nurse assistants and schedule flexibility
Cons
long hours, no breaks, difficulty talking to manager, hard patient load
Management can be very rude to employees
Environmental Specialist Aide (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 22, 2015
Supervision isn't very fair. They tend to take sides and do not delegate work accordingly. Co workers are very easy to work with. The hardest part about this job is communicating with upper management.
Top 100? No way.
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 2, 2015
Not sure how this is a top 100 facility. Management is constantly overturning, and because the new management want their people, people are constantly turning over as well. There is a lack of stability here. I know multiple department heads with litigation pending against them for unfair employment practices. Whistle blowers are quickly fired. Their magnet status is a farse. Nothing gets done around there.
Great place to work.
Staff Nurse on Medical Surgical Unit (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 10, 2014
Virginia Hospital Center is an excellent place to work. The teaching environment is ideal for new nurses and nurses who want to advance their careers. The nurses and physicians were only too willing to share their knowledge and expertise. Everyone was given responsibilities and the opportunities as a part of a cohesive team.

I would never have left had my husband's job not warrant it.
Pros
tuition assistance and in-hospital training; good 401k.
Cons
sometime hectic workload, especially with fresh post-operative patients.
Overall nice place to work
Registered Nurse, Operating Room (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 30, 2015
different shifts available, great upper management within the hospital, patient satisfactory, overall good environment to work in
Meeting new people
Mailroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 5, 2015
I would tell other people that the hospital has some good people to work with and it has good benfits. I walk about 10 miles a day because I take the mail though out the hospital.
Productive, stable job in a excellent community
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 27, 2014
Customer/patient/family focused.....
A job culture of genuine enjoyment of taking care of people
Co-workers are friendly, most are extremely helpful
Some managers are wonderful
Some Growth opportunites, especially for clinical staff
Clinical staff makes excellent income
Some general staff make a decent income
Educational opportunities
Top 100, Top 50 hospital in the nation

The hardest part of the job is the lack of consideration to employees...
We go the extra mile to provide an environment of compassion, integrity and superior medical care, but when we are sick or our families are sick - no compassion
Upper and middle management has some work to do in their departments about behaviors.
Some departments have high turnover rates
Salaries could be better, this is an award wining hospital in Arlington County no less and employees are still making $8.00 to $13.00 an hour
Pros
excellent benefits, job culture with co-workers is great, good area, some parking
Cons
if you are not in the clinical spectrum, your salary is not good. some managers are horrible...
Challenging Work Experience
Health Information Management Technician (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 30, 2015
Working at Virginia Hospital has taught me time management because of the heavy work flow and challenging tasks. It has provided me with lasting relationships with co-workers because they were able to help me with my professional career, which I would always treasure.
Overall a good place to work.
Staff nurse (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 1, 2015
Overall a good place to work.The usual cliques, and frankly its seeming a lot like a high school with the way staff interact.
Pros
Community hospital feel with big city resources.
Cons
Staffing is a constant issue.
Awesome Place to work
Mammography Technologist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 1, 2014
Awesome Place to work. This company takes care of their employees as well as putting patients above all else. Beautiful neat and very clean facility. Careering management, excellent benefits and pay, Professionalism among co-workers, everyone generally gets along well. Easy and convenient for patients to be seen right away. Steadily busy in all modalities.
Great team environment and motivation for growth
Unit Secretary/Nurse Tech (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 29, 2015
Efficient care and productive staffing management. Leadership very responsive attention to employees. Flexible scheduling options.
No comment
PRN (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 15, 2015
Dedicated employees and good leadership but feel midlevel management was somewhat stifled by hospital administration.