Virginia Mason Employee Reviews

A chance to get involved in company activities
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 16, 2016
I enjoyed getting involved in Toastmasters (covered by the hospital), was a part of the Green Team, and started the Staff Support Networking Group. I learned a lot about scheduling meetings that involved executives with very busy schedules; learned about various technology (tele video and lite projector). I always prepared myself for the unexpected which I enjoyed a lot. My workers were very supportive and I developed many close friends during my time there. I learned to pay attention to my director's calendars so I could maximize my support for them.
Pros
Good health care, cafeteria discount, bus subsized
Cons
not a lot of chance for advancement; challenges with human resource support
Fun place to work and enjoy my co-workers
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Mason, VADecember 14, 2015
I look forward to my day and my work. It is challenging and the MD's I work for are just as nice and I keep a smile on my face. I normally work on complex scheduling in the morning unless there are other mandatory items that need my attention. I prefer to work with people and have fun as well.

I look forward to change that is coming with my current job. I also would prefer to work for one department instead of being split up into two.

I learn something new everyday as I came from a banking background. The Hospital setting is very educational and I enjoy all my peers and management.

I enjoy helping with events and I admire my manager.
Pros
Lots of help with learning and working on goals
Cons
Job is being split
good doctors but management lacks
Externship (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 18, 2016
Most of the drs are behind, but typical for everyday. Front desk is great. MAs are all wonderful and hard working. Management lacks. always switching schedule's, isn't qualified for what they do, unorganized, and all over the place. Doesn't know what a MA does on a day to day bases. more worried about numbers and how they lookthen the MA's that run the clinic. Patients were kind and great full for the hard working MA's
Pros
good drs
Cons
overworked
The best company I've ever worked for
Patient Access Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Bothell, WAOctober 21, 2015
The best company I've ever worked for and I will highly recommend anyone to work for this company. Great benefits and awesome work culture. Excellent company when it comes to team work.
Poor management
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 22, 2016
Management was poor. Not a organized environment.Expectations and communication poor. I found the Drs to be somewhat pressed for time.
7 x 24 Health Care I.T.
Senior Application Engineer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 17, 2015
Internationally recognized health care organization with widely used and integrated state of the art I.T. systems. Challenging but rewarding environment - it is great to see that I.T. can have such an impact on the care for patients in need.

Compensation package is very good with nice vacation accruals. The company is very good at working with staff to accommodate personal needs such as FMLA, elder care and PTO for health care needs.

The company's management methodology is based on Toyota Production System and Kaizen. A great system but it is very demanding to keep up with continuous change.
Pros
compensation package, great culture.
Cons
very stressful and demanding.
Integrated and respected
Clinic Manager (Former Employee) –  Mason, VAMay 3, 2016
Work days as an operational leader here were hard and long, but most importantly, rewarding. Learning opportunities were always available, and they have a population of support for each other and the community.
Overrun by Corporate Greed
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 29, 2015
While going through financial struggles with layoffs, the managers still get bonuses while working 8 hour days. Excellent doctors leaving the organization or being worked to death along with their nurses and assistants.
Japanese business "masters" flown-in to observe but nothing improves,.
No one cares how far the real workers need to commute, education and experience are not appreciated unless the manager has a crush on you.
Our voices not heard, even if it's an issue with patient safety. Very fake quality place that's out of compliance and never gets inspected.
Pros
Nice, quality doctors to work for
Cons
Can't afford to live near work, required to work the jobs of 3 people with no incentive.
Fun workplace and friendly coworkers
Patient Feeding Aide, Cook 1 (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 27, 2015
I enjoyed the work it self and liked most people I worked with. It was a fast paced environment, so days went by really fast. The management however, I feel, never communicated properly. Often times I would make requests or suggestions, I would get responses like, "I'll be sure to look into that." Or, "That's a good idea. We'll be sure to discuss further on that." But, no follow up would ever occur. Beware, if you are not wanted there, you're already out, no matter how hard you try to stay in.
Pros
co-workers, benefits
Cons
management
Great Doctors are what make this company plauseable
Employee (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 22, 2015
If it was not for the money they hand out for their doctors this company would fold. Poor management. They only listen to their employees when it benefits them.
Pros
Money
Cons
Your health. They will drive you into the ground. Then spit you out.
Would not recommend to others as a place to work
Orthopedic Technician (Current Employee) –  Lynnwood, WANovember 5, 2015
Most enjoyable part of job is working with patients and serving them. Applying and removing casts. Getting to know patients and having great conversations with patients.
Pros
Education
Cons
Very Poor Management
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 8, 2014
Working at VMMC was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Everything from management's receptiveness to employee needs to patient care ethics impressed me. Everyday culture found at VMMC makes employees work hard and do the very best they can. If it weren't for the need to relocate I would work there the rest of my career.
Chronically short staffed, short sighted mgmt
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Virginia MasonOctober 22, 2014
Had to work way too much OT just to still have my head underwater. My days could be 14 hrs but never straight 8. I learned coding and not to complain about working conditions at Virginia Mason. The most enjoyable part of my job without a doubt was the patient interaction and the variety. The hardest part was having to work such long days, continually asking management for help to no avail. My co-workers were great even though I didn't get to interact with them as much as I would've liked.
Pros
good benefits and co-workers
Cons
chronically short staffed, short sighted mgmt
A great place to work, with quality staff.
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 15, 2015
During my 19 years at Virginia Mason Medical Center, I enjoyed working there very much. The work was challenging and rewarding, and I made many friends in my department and outside of my department. My job was eliminated due to a reduction in workforce, brought about when a long-standing alliance with Group Health hospital ended.

I am currently still working there, and my final date there will be in February 2016. After that, I will be actively searching for new employment.
Pros
Great staff, and a higher than usual level of professionalism.
Cons
None.
a good working place, but bad management, robot/spy work culture
medical assistant (Current Employee) –  University Village, SeattleJanuary 26, 2014
A great team work company, good benefits, long training period with medical assistant usually doesn't perform those duties in other clinics, needs 15-30 minutes to room a patient. You can get all the help you want, people smiles at you but watch over your every step; you get all kinds of feedback from your manager. Disorganized work flow, they allow a clerk without any credentials of medical assistant giving shot, room patients, which bans by Washington State in July 2013, disorganized working personals, lack of communication between co-workers, doctors and management although VM promotes it.
Great Learning Facility
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 19, 2016
Loved working there. The atmosphere was friendly and welcoming. I learned so much about the pancreas working there. Best place for an EGD.
The best place I have ever worked!
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 21, 2012
I worked for VM just before their EMR conversioin in 3/2010, for a year and half. I had moved to Seattle to care for my mom who had had a stroke and took a temp position as a per diem MA. I thought I would be there 6 months, but my manager valued me and my input. I was selected to be part of the EMR conversion team and this was a special honor. I went to proctor training for 2 weeks to learn to train ambulatory staff on the GO Live and 2 different clinics and was there for follow up as well. It was interesting challenging and expanded my horizons. My usual day was a float MA by pager to over 20 different specialties. I valued learning so much about new specialties and being given the opportunity for growth.

I moved back to Phoenix to be near my son and grandson in the Airforce, but I so miss VM. They treat there patients with dignity and respect, and have a true team approach with coworkers. I just may go back to working for VM.

Sincerely,
Certified Medical Assistant
Pros
annual bonus, raises based on experience and education, team approach.
Cons
no parking downtown, don't like bus commute.
Educational Work place
Medical Insurance Biller (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 18, 2015
This employer was very busy and active. I learned a lot about Kiazan Rapid improvement work processes and how to work well in a diverse environment..
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no room for advancement
Fast paste working environment
Crothall Healthcare Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 21, 2015
A typical day at work would be transporting patients to and from appointments and various other locations through out the hospital. I learned a lot about time management. My corkers were a great team also fun to work with. The hardest part of the job would be getting incorporative patients to their appointment. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with doctors in meeting new patients.
Cons
hours
Great workplace, depending on your floor/coworkers!
Patient Care Technician, Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mason, VAJuly 30, 2015
Level 15 (general surgery) is a new unit that just opened in Feb 2015. This is an amazing floor to work on as the nurse manager, assistant managers, nurses, and PCTs are all extremely friendly, fun, young, outgoing, and great at their jobs! Typical day is 12.5 hours, with 1 15 min break, 1 45 min lunch, and another 15 min break. You learn as much as you want to, as the nurses love to teach you things like show you how to put catheters, IVs, etc. in the patients. As a PCT at VM, you are given much more responsibility than many other hospitals and workplaces. You get to remove catheters, IVs, and other fun and exciting things :)
Pros
Floating allows you to check out other departments
Cons
Floating has made me aware that not all floors are great like mine

4.3