Virginia Mason Employee Reviews

A balanced place to work
Histology Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 13, 2017
I really enjoyed working here. The environment allowed you to succeded in performing the duties that you are required to do. The environment was one that gave support to it is employees.
August 14, 2017

We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your work experience, and are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with Virginia Mason. Thank you for sharing your feedback, and we wish you all the best in your career pursuits.

VM is the real deal
Ambulatory Procedure RN (Current Employee) –  Mason, VAAugust 12, 2017
Great people to work with here. A relaxed and supportive environment. It is definitely a great place to be. Great benefits and lots of opportunity for movement within the organization.
August 14, 2017

We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your work experience, and are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with Virginia Mason. Thank you for sharing your feedback and keep up the great work!

Great learning hospital
Medical Assistant Float Pool (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 9, 2017
I was able to work in multiple settings and have a lot of experience in different areas of healthcare, compensation and benefits were excellent. Had to relocate often
August 14, 2017

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. It is very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees past and present. We wish you all the best in your career pursuits.

Great palce to work
Business Development Manager/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 29, 2017
VM was a great place to work and I would have stayed if my family life had not required me to make some changes. The main issue for me was having to commute to downtown Seattle.
August 7, 2017

Thank you taking time to write a review of your work experience at Virginia Mason. It is very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees past and present. We appreciate you sharing your feedback and we wish you the best in your career journey.

Great People
Hospital Patient Access Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 10, 2017
Good friends and understanding managers. Need time off? Someone is always willing to help you take the time you need off. Great team work and office morale.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Location was bad in downtown.
July 10, 2017

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. It is important to our visitors to hear from our employees past and present. We wish you the best on your career journey.

Good Patient Care
Lead Nurse (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAJuly 6, 2017
Patients are well care for and my family will not change providers for anything. As a nurse I was proud of the care I provided. There is opportunities to learn.
July 7, 2017

We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your overall experience at Virginia Mason. It is very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees past and present. Thank you very much for sharing your feedback and we wish you the best in your career journey.

Workplace that is too concerned about metrics and not it's employees
Security Captain (Current Employee) –  Mason, VAJuly 4, 2017
A hospital that use to have a great reputation for treating its employee's and customers fairly. Now going downhill in regards to customer service and quality. More interested in upper management and cliques rather than care about it's support staff. Benefits taken away, good employees are leaving and there are no bonuses or raises in quite some time.
Pros
Still employees that care
Cons
wages
July 7, 2017

Thank you for taking time to write this review, and we are very sorry you feel this way. As you know we are committed to continuous improvement and your feedback is vital to our shared success. Please know your comments have been shared with senior leadership.

leadership is the word they use to excuse everything.Its buzz word to blame new actions etc "on leadership"
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Bainbridge Island, WAJuly 2, 2017
NO lunch, no breaks-12 hours straight eating power bars while I charted. "Leadership" plots things behind employees backs and then WOW someone is gone. It is so disruptive to the staff so everyone works believing they are next and creates a huge chiasm of job insecurity
July 7, 2017

Thank you for providing feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. Our focus on quality, work/life balance, and compassion means we take your feedback very seriously. Your comments have been shared with senior leadership, and we hope to hear from you.

Efficient staff working in excellent workplace culture
LPN (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 16, 2017
When I worked for Virginia Mason, it was one of my best work experiences. It was an extremely organized organization that was pro patient and pro medical care team.
Pros
Great work atmosphere
Cons
Relocated to Maine
June 22, 2017

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your overall experience at Virginia Mason. It is very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees past and present.

Good place to learn and grow
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 31, 2017
I learned a lot at Virginia Mason, with over 5000 employees. I strived to learn something every day and it was a good envrionment for stretching your boundaries and skill levels. It was a good culture and one of the best places I've worked since there was a lot of opportunity, if you are willing to work for it.
Pros
good benefits, transportation compensation, competitive salary, company events, Farmers Market
June 5, 2017

We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your overall experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. It is very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees past and present. We wish you all the best in your career pursuits.

Want to know more about Virginia Mason?

Ask a question
poor communication from management
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Federal Way, WAMay 22, 2017
Management communicates poorly. Has expectations that are not communicated until after the expectation is not met.
current PT manager does not trust the employees so she tends to micro manage.
I have learned a lot from my time at Virginia Mason from many great therapists. I have learned the proper way to progress post op patients. I have learned many manual techniques like IASTM and kinesiology taping. Among many other things.
Coworkers are professional caring wonderful people . We are a busy fast paced office.
Hardest part of the job is keeping up on the documentation.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my patients, helping them recover from their injuries or surgery is very rewarding.
Pros
vacation time is ample
Cons
breaks are short
July 7, 2017

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback about your work experience with us. We are glad to hear you have learned a number of new clinical skills and techniques to enhance your practice while working here. Your comments have been shared with senior leadership, and we hope to hear from you.

Great in some areas, not in others
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 12, 2017
Supervisors and managers experience higher turnover than all other positions. Life in the clinic is especially tough, and many supervisors seek to move into another area of VM after a couple years (if they don't quit). The overall culture is really positive and respectful, but this has not permeated to each area of the organization.

VM is behind the power curve when it comes to HR, IT infrastructure, and data analytics but seems to be ahead of the game when it comes to patient safety and quality. It is also more financially stable than other healthcare systems in the area. Management pushes a culture of "continuous improvement" with limited success. Front-line staff are encouraged to create and implement solutions using lean methods, but these solutions are typically not long lasting.

If you're applying for a non-leadership or non-clinical job, don't hesitate - you'll enjoy your time at VM. If you are applying for a clinical leadership position, be prepared for a tough job.
May 25, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We’re glad that you would describe our overall culture as positive and respectful and that you’ve acknowledged our commitment to patient safety and quality. We appreciate your feedback regarding areas for improvement – we are continuously striving to be the best employer we can be. Your comments have been shared with the appropriate teams.

Long time employee and patient
CLINIC MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 10, 2017
There isn't anywhere else I would send my friends and family for care. This is the safest and best institution for health care, in my opinion. I left there a few years ago and still go there for my health care.
May 16, 2017

Excellent work/life balance
Emergency Department Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 3, 2017
The Kaizen process can be quite demanding, but overall everyone who works there ends up being very collaborative because of it. You'll learn a lot from it, as well. I invite you to look up the Kaizen process - it was developed by the Toyota company to increase efficiency and quality simultaneously.
Pros
team environment
Cons
top heavy management structure
May 16, 2017

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback about our collaborative environment and the Kaizen process. We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your overall experience at Virginia Mason.

Great work environment
RN Emergency Medicine & Observation Unit Charge RN (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 2, 2017
This is a very progressive hospital always seeking to improve and change with the times in order to seek better patient outcomes. Can become difficult to practice with all of the changing polices, however great grassroots efforts. Well compensated.
May 4, 2017

We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your overall experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. It is very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees, both past and present.

Virginia Mason Medical Center
Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 21, 2017
I worked in Radiology for 10 years at Virginia Mason Medical Center. In that time, the perception that Virginia Mason valued me or my coworkers has changed. Over the years our benefits have become slashed both compensation and the great perks we use to receive such as the summer block part or ball park raffle. We use to receive raises per years worked at Virginia Mason, now it is a performance based system that has not been implemented well in radiology, no one has a clear grasp on how to actually "perform" well to get that raise. The management in radiology is also concerning as well, it perceived that you need to be buddies with the administrative director to advance. They would rather look outside of Virginia Mason than fill management from the capable employees. There is a lack of support, all departments are running lean on purpose. You will be worked hard day in and day out with no relief from management. Department heads have very little sway over the management of their departments, the team I left is desperate to fill my position, however the head of the department has no sway on if it can be fulfilled. Over all, I would not suggest working in Radiology at Virginia Mason, you are not valued and there is no recognition for a job well done.
Pros
Virginia Mason does pay well
Cons
Poor management
April 25, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your work experience with us, and we are very sorry your experience didn’t measure up to our shared expectations. We value our team members and strive to create an environment where everyone feels respected and their contributions valued. While we can't change your experience, we will share this information with our leadership team and use it to improve going forward. We wish you the best in your future career endeavors.

A place that provides good job security
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 19, 2017
provides good work security and good relationships with the providers that you work with. compensation could be better, coming back to this company I wish they would have matched the pay that I was getting from the previous place I came from.
April 24, 2017

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback. It is very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees past and present. We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your overall experience at Virginia Mason. Your comments will be shared with HR leadership.

Fun work enviroment
Phlebotomist/Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 19, 2017
This was a great company to work for. Enjoyed everything about this company. I enjoyed the work enviorment and the people who I worked with were always on their game.

Productive place to work
Patient Financial Services (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 9, 2017
Love working at VM. Rewarding knowing that you are helping patients get what they need. Management can use some help but overall is pretty good. Like not being micro-managed.
Awesome facility with an awesome staff!
Medical Assistant Certified (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 2, 2017
I really enjoyed my time working at Virginia Mason. I loved working at a place where the people who showed up everyday actually wanted to be there and make a difference.
Pros
Great food, friendly staff and happy patients
Cons
Very little parking
April 24, 2017

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Mason. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3