Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Employee Reviews

Student focused
Assistant Director of Student Programming (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 10, 2017
Student focused
Rules and policies some prohibited student creativity
Great supportive staff who care for one another
Lots of school spirit
Beautiful campus
Productive and Career building environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 5, 2017
Productive and Career building environment where professional and personal connections are made and fostered. Typically a day for a Graduate Research Assistant consist of teaching classes, running experiments for their project, reading up on latest or old papers in the field of study, participating in certain professional clubs, participated in meetings/conducted meetings, and helped with event planning and execution.
Pros
networking and professional growth
Cons
work life balance
Productive Educative Environment
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 30, 2017
Good place to work and study in. It helps you to improve yourself and to want to be better not only for you but for the community. It is a good working environment.
Fun place to work
Horse Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAFebruary 7, 2017
I was around horses every day, which was wonderful. Most didn't have the best ground manners so they would run over you. When I wanted to start a new project, my manager was quick to listen and quick to help ,e get started.
Fast-paced job with good purpose
Student Wage Employee (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJanuary 15, 2017
As a wage employee, I researched Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations regarding unmanned aircraft system certification and operation.Expectations were understandably high. The amount of work involved for navigating regulations likely warranted more than the official 10 hours per week.
Pros
Great focus and collaboration between groups
Cons
In my opinion, this job required more than 10 hours per week
Educational Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 25, 2016
Work was easy to understand and not to complicated. I felt like I could ask questions if I was confused. My co-workers and Boss were wonderful and communicated well.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Loads of Reading hard to find materials
graduate teaching assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 30, 2016
Being a graduate teaching assistant is great. There's a tuition waiver and a stipend for certain departments. You will be very busy with classes and GTA duties; but you should have time to sleep most days.
Pros
tuition waiver, pizza
Cons
very busy
A great place !
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAFebruary 16, 2016
It is a very good place to learn and grow. You get to apply your ideas and contribute in the betterment in field of engineering.
Fun and rewarding
Undergraduate Grader (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJanuary 24, 2016
A very typical undergraduate university job. It is not high paying, but it is great and flexible hours. The work environment is friendly.
Wonderful employer
Project Associate (Current Employee) –  National Capital RegionOctober 11, 2015
Engaging and inspiring workplace, with real stability and wonderful co-workers. Academia is an engaging world to work in. There is a lot of room for personal growth.
An academic institution
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VASeptember 2, 2015
VT is a typical academic institution with all of the benefits and failings of such a system. Advancement is difficult for non-tenure track faculty. The benefit of having a range of research topics to pursue is nice.
High Research Unviversity
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  ICTASJune 30, 2015
I am a Ph.D Candidate at Virginia Tech. The institution prides itself on the high tech research and advances they make each year. Faculty are very available to each student and work hard to make the work interesting.
overall great place
INTERNAL CONTROLS DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 25, 2015
nice place to work but limited compensation package, great state health insurance.
limited advancement.
nice culture- relaxed, good rural environment
Great place
Adjunct assistant professor (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 19, 2015
Virginia Tech is one of the best places I have studied and worked at. Friendly people, beautiful nature. This school keeps in touch with its graduates.
Excellent colleagues, both advisors and fellow grad students
Graduate Researcher/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 19, 2015
Typical Day: Laboratory work for my thesis (benthic macroinvertebrate identification, organic matter processing, data analysis, thesis writing). Monthly trips to my research sites for field work. Teaching Freshwater Ecology Laboratory (field and lab class).

Learned: Invaluable field and lab skills for stream ecology. How to teach and conduct an upper-level laboratory course. Data analysis and scientific writing (Thesis).

Management and co-workers: Both advisors and fellow grad students fostered a friendly environment in which to work and learn. Senior grad students readily offered their help, knowledge and expertise. Same can be said for advisors

Hardest part of job: balancing my own research for my thesis with the paid portion of my graduate student work - teaching. My advisor gave me more-or-less free reign to conduct the lab class as I saw fit. While this was the hardest part, it also instilled me with a great sense of pride, responsibility, and the ability to multitask.

Most enjoyable part of job: field and laboratory work for my thesis project. I really enjoyed working outdoors in the streams, as well as doing much of my own 'grunt work' in the lab instead of handing it over to undergraduate assistants.
Pros
good group of colleagues, good support system of faculty and grads
Excellent
Associate (2005) & Assistant Professor (2006-1999) (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAFebruary 6, 2015
The current university demonstrates innovation in research, instruction, services, and inclusion. Virginia Tech has a strong commitment to innovative research, work-life balance, professional development for students, faculty, staff, and administrators.
Productive with High Expectations
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VANovember 4, 2014
In this position there were high expectations to assist Graduate Students with their research. During this Part-time Research Assistant position for a Rhizosphere and Soil Microbial Ecology Laboratory. Gained fieldwork experience through collection of soil and plant samples. Also participate in sieving soil to prepare for DNA extractions. Extracted DNA from soil samples, completed PCR and analyzed results via Gel Electrophoresis.
Work hard, graduate student!
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 28, 2014
I actually love my job. A typical day of work is never typical. As an animal scientist, I spend a lot of time out at the barns working with farm animals or in the lab running experiments. I have a variety of coworkers ranging from "country boys" to international students. We are integrated into a system that encourages the flow of ideas between these varied groups.

Management can be a little frustrating as you have the departmental administration, the college administration, the graduate school administration, the university registrar...
Busy workplace with flexible hours and interactive work experience
Dining Hall Employee (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 9, 2014
The influx of students/staff at various times during the day makes for a full day of busy work.
The training is straight to the point and employees are positioned at various shops are trained properly to carry out a certain set of duties.
Hardest part of the job would be opening and closing of shops, making sure that it is ready for the following day or whoever comes in to work after your shift has ended.
Challenging and Intellectual with Lots of Spirit
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 4, 2014
A typical day at work includes research, laboratory work, and teaching undergraduates. Large amounts of problem solving, critical thinking and teamwork are involved in every aspect of this position. The professors and mentors developed an atmosphere of respect and enthusiasm for the pursuit of knowledge. The hardest but most gratifying part of the job is when some aspect of the project produces results that are unexpected, then finding the solution through a combination of analyses, scientific literature and advice.
Pros
Tuition covered, community that is enthusiastic about learning

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5