Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Employee Reviews

overall great place
INTERNAL CONTROLS DIRECTOR (Current Employee), Blacksburg, VAMay 25, 2015
nice place to work but limited compensation package, great state health insurance.
limited advancement.
nice culture- relaxed, good rural environment
Great place
Adjunct assistant professor (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VAMay 19, 2015
Virginia Tech is one of the best places I have studied and worked at. Friendly people, beautiful nature. This school keeps in touch with its graduates.
Excellent colleagues, both advisors and fellow grad students
Graduate Researcher/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: good group of colleagues, good support system of faculty and grads
Typical Day: Laboratory work for my thesis (benthic macroinvertebrate identification, organic matter processing, data analysis, thesis writing). Monthly trips to my research sites for field work. Teaching Freshwater Ecology Laboratory (field and lab class).

Learned: Invaluable field and lab skills for stream ecology. How to teach and conduct an upper-level laboratory course. Data analysis and scientific writing (Thesis).

Management and co-workers: Both advisors and fellow grad students fostered a friendly environment in which to work and learn. Senior grad students readily offered their help, knowledge and expertise. Same can be said for advisors

Hardest part of job: balancing my own research for my thesis with the paid portion of my graduate student work - teaching. My advisor gave me more-or-less free reign to conduct the lab class as I saw fit. While this was the hardest part, it also instilled me with a great sense of pride, responsibility, and the ability to multitask.

Most enjoyable part of job: field and laboratory work for my thesis project. I really enjoyed working outdoors in the streams, as well as doing much of my own 'grunt work' in the lab instead of handing it over to undergraduate assistants.
Excellent
Associate (2005) & Assistant Professor (2006-1999) (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VAFebruary 6, 2015
The current university demonstrates innovation in research, instruction, services, and inclusion. Virginia Tech has a strong commitment to innovative research, work-life balance, professional development for students, faculty, staff, and administrators.
Productive with High Expectations
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Blacksburg, VANovember 4, 2014
In this position there were high expectations to assist Graduate Students with their research. During this Part-time Research Assistant position for a Rhizosphere and Soil Microbial Ecology Laboratory. Gained fieldwork experience through collection of soil and plant samples. Also participate in sieving soil to prepare for DNA extractions. Extracted DNA from soil samples, completed PCR and analyzed results via Gel Electrophoresis.
Work hard, graduate student!
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Blacksburg, VAOctober 28, 2014
I actually love my job. A typical day of work is never typical. As an animal scientist, I spend a lot of time out at the barns working with farm animals or in the lab running experiments. I have a variety of coworkers ranging from "country boys" to international students. We are integrated into a system that encourages the flow of ideas between these varied groups.

Management can be a little frustrating as you have the departmental administration, the college administration, the graduate school administration, the university registrar...
Busy workplace with flexible hours and interactive work experience
Dining Hall Employee (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VAOctober 9, 2014
The influx of students/staff at various times during the day makes for a full day of busy work.
The training is straight to the point and employees are positioned at various shops are trained properly to carry out a certain set of duties.
Hardest part of the job would be opening and closing of shops, making sure that it is ready for the following day or whoever comes in to work after your shift has ended.
Challenging and Intellectual with Lots of Spirit
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Blacksburg, VAAugust 4, 2014
Pros: tuition covered, community that is enthusiastic about learning
A typical day at work includes research, laboratory work, and teaching undergraduates. Large amounts of problem solving, critical thinking and teamwork are involved in every aspect of this position. The professors and mentors developed an atmosphere of respect and enthusiasm for the pursuit of knowledge. The hardest but most gratifying part of the job is when some aspect of the project produces results that are unexpected, then finding the solution through a combination of analyses, scientific literature and advice.
freeing yet thought provoking work place
Database Developer and Administrator (Current Employee), Blacksburg, VAFebruary 4, 2014
I was given the opportunity to do most of my work from home. This gave me a lot of freedom to work when I felt like I could actually be productive.
Great University
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VAMay 18, 2013
Great experience as an undergraduate. Great faculty support to give teachable moments.
Good place for work study
Undergraduate Researcher, Cimini Lab (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VASeptember 4, 2012
A typical work day consisted of me checking in with my supervisor for the any tasks that needed to be done. Mostly, my job consisted of keeping the lab clean and keep things in working order. My boss was very accommodating and fair. I did not have any co-workers and the hardest part of the job was getting my tasks down in a timely fashion when school got busy. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with my boss.
great graduate assistant gig
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VAJuly 20, 2012
Pros: environment of learning
worked for professors with whom i also had classes... was a great experience.
Temporary position with this employer, job was fine.
Child Assessment Assistant (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VAJune 27, 2012
As the summary states, this was a temporary position with this employer and I can only say that the job was fine and the employer was satisfactory.